The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What the Lions means to some players

+5
Biltong
GunsGerms
BamBam
funnyExiledScot
R!skysports
9 posters

Go down

What the Lions means to some players Empty What the Lions means to some players

Post by R!skysports Thu 23 May 2013, 08:55

Was speaking with Jim Hamilton at the Players award last night and one of the comments he said was quite interesting.

When asked about the lions and what it meant he said

"The lions means so much to most players, if I was offered to play in the lions, but could not play any rugby after that, would I take do it? Yes, no question."

(Slightly paraphrased)

This shows how much the lions mean to some players and although it may not sit as comfortably in the professional age - it still has a place

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

What the Lions means to some players Empty Re: What the Lions means to some players

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 09:13

I'm pleased to hear that players feel that way about it - I certainly feel it's the pinnacle of NH rugby, or at least on a par with the WC.

Jim Hamilton wouldn't have been far away from selection for this tour, in fact I think that if South Africa rather than Australia had been the opposition, Hamilton may have gone. He's probably just that bit too slow around the park for the gameplan Gatland has in mind, and the pitches and conditions in Australia.

Still, he'll have a big role to play for Scotland against Samoa and South Africa. We'll need him for those games, especially without Richie Gray.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

What the Lions means to some players Empty Re: What the Lions means to some players

Post by Guest Thu 23 May 2013, 10:24

Good point about Hamilton and our opponents this summer. That's a massive consolation for the Scots, that they have such a good tour though. Certainly going to excite more than say Dan Biggar going to Japan.

I think it means a lot to a heck of a lot of players still. Ryan Jones posted on twitter something about not being selected, which was probably lighthearted, but I bet he really does wish was going.

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 23 May 2013, 10:26

Hamilton also mentioned that Kelly Brown did not even get a stand by letter

Absolute discrace

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 May 2013, 10:27

Riskysports wrote:Hamilton also mentioned that Kelly Brown did not even get a stand by letter

Absolute discrace

Well that's not so good.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 10:33

To be fair, Kelly Brown is competing with POM, Ryan Jones, Chris Robshaw and Tom Wood for that stand-bye letter. Hardly a disgrace being overlooked when in that company. All very good players who have all had excellent seasons.

You can argue the merits of whether Dan Lydiate should have gone until the cows come home, but in terms of the stand-bye options at 6, there are some seriously good players on that list. To call Brown's omission a "disgrace" is overcooking it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 May 2013, 10:46

I was just wondering who has one out of the backrow. You can tell Robshaw does from interviews. Not having one isn't so good, but I'd imagine he'll still be on standby.

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 23 May 2013, 10:59

I would imagine Robshaw and Ryan Jones are probably the 2, cover the whole back row between them. For me it would be a very tight call between Wood and Brown for next call up.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 11:01

I'd say it depends on who gets injured. My thinking would be:

Croft or Lydiate - call up Tom Wood (or Kelly Brown if you prefer Brown)

SOB, Warburton or Tipuric - call up Chris Robshaw

Falateu or Heaslip - call up Ryan Jones

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 23 May 2013, 11:09

Personally I would call up Ferris if he was fit again as he is a better player than all the above mentioned.

However, I feel sorry for Robshaw who does deserve a place because his form has been incredible.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 11:11

Ferris isn't fit and hasn't played all season. Irrelevant to the Lions this time around.

Personally I'd call-up Richard Hill if he were younger, fit and on form. He isn't though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 23 May 2013, 11:18

funnyExiledScot wrote:Ferris isn't fit and hasn't played all season. Irrelevant to the Lions this time around.

Personally I'd call-up Richard Hill if he were younger, fit and on form. He isn't though.

It wouldnt be the first time that an injured player has been drafted into the Lions squad having not played much rugby. Calling up Richard Hill would be idiotic because he is almost 40 and has been retired for years. Each to their own I suppose.

Ferris by contrast is 27 and absolutly pummeled the Aussies the last time he played against them.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 23 May 2013, 11:20

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm pleased to hear that players feel that way about it - I certainly feel it's the pinnacle of NH rugby, or at least on a par with the WC.

Jim Hamilton wouldn't have been far away from selection for this tour, in fact I think that if South Africa rather than Australia had been the opposition, Hamilton may have gone. He's probably just that bit too slow around the park for the gameplan Gatland has in mind, and the pitches and conditions in Australia.

Still, he'll have a big role to play for Scotland against Samoa and South Africa. We'll need him for those games, especially without Richie Gray.

So ya are saying we are slow? Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 23 May 2013, 11:22

There are always pros and cons to all Lions tours and these boards prove that but when you hear the players talk you can see what it means to them and thats all that matters.

Long may the lions carry on I for one love the tours.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 11:25

When was the last time Ferris played international rugby to a high enough standard to be able to compete for a Lions test spot?

Is he not on the verge of moving to Japan in order to prolong his career - effectively a signal that his body can't take the intensity of professional rugby anymore?

Let go.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 11:27

Biltong wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm pleased to hear that players feel that way about it - I certainly feel it's the pinnacle of NH rugby, or at least on a par with the WC.

So ya are saying we are slow? Laugh

No - just big, hard and nasty! The sort of opponents that Big Jim is more suited to.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 23 May 2013, 11:30

funnyExiledScot wrote:When was the last time Ferris played international rugby to a high enough standard to be able to compete for a Lions test spot?

Is he not on the verge of moving to Japan in order to prolong his career - effectively a signal that his body can't take the intensity of professional rugby anymore?

Let go.

Whats that got to do with anything? Wilko hasnt played test rugby in years and would have made the squad. Same with Stevens.

Quade Cooper has played 1 test match in two years and half of Australia want him in the team. When you're good enough you're good enough.

For what its worth I think Hines should have been one of the first Lions picks too.

He is on the verge of a move to Japan. We can only speculate on the reasons however anytime Ferris puts on an Ireland jumper he tends to be one of Ireland's best players and for my money one of our best players ever!!!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 11:49

You've lost the plot. Cold towel required.

Wilkinson was considered because of his stellar club form. His is fit and playing well. Useless comparison.

Stevens was considered because of his stellar club form. His is fit, and at the time of selection, playing well. Useless comparison.

Ferris isn't fit, and hasn't played to even Rabo intensity on anything like a regular basis for some time now. He is out of the equation. Trust me.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 23 May 2013, 12:15

funnyExiledScot wrote:You've lost the plot. Cold towel required.

Wilkinson was considered because of his stellar club form. His is fit and playing well. Useless comparison.

Stevens was considered because of his stellar club form. His is fit, and at the time of selection, playing well. Useless comparison.

Ferris isn't fit, and hasn't played to even Rabo intensity on anything like a regular basis for some time now. He is out of the equation. Trust me.

I wouldnt trust you if my life depended on it. I never said Ferris would be picked I said Id pick him simply because time and time again Ferris has been written off and come back from injury and blown the opposition pack apart. Id fancy him to do it again v Australia. He is made for matches like this.

If you want some explosives in your pack then Ferris is you man.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 23 May 2013, 12:22

A bit risky calling up Robshaw & Ashton to the Lions considering they probably would be just training on their own for the past while.

I presume Ryan Jones is going to Japan with Wales or is at least training with Wales.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 14:14

GunsGerms wrote:I never said Ferris would be picked I said Id pick him simply because time and time again Ferris has been written off and come back from injury and blown the opposition pack apart. Id fancy him to do it again v Australia. He is made for matches like this.

You mean if you want Dr Robson to be fully occupied for the entire tour trying to fix one man, Stephen Ferris is your man.

When was the last time he completed 80 minutes of even Rabo rugby? Is he even fit now? If so I look forward to seeing him start against Leinster at the weekend.

Don't get me wrong, a couple of years ago he was excellent. A fantastic player. It's been too long though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 23 May 2013, 14:15

If Ferris were fit and in form, he'd be the starting 6, for me. But I thought he was just out of the picture due to injury?

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 23 May 2013, 14:19

BlueNote wrote:If Ferris were fit and in form, he'd be the starting 6, for me. But I thought he was just out of the picture due to injury?

Not sure if he is still injured. Due back round now I thought.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 23 May 2013, 14:20

funnyExiledScot wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:I never said Ferris would be picked I said Id pick him simply because time and time again Ferris has been written off and come back from injury and blown the opposition pack apart. Id fancy him to do it again v Australia. He is made for matches like this.

You mean if you want Dr Robson to be fully occupied for the entire tour trying to fix one man, Stephen Ferris is your man.

When was the last time he completed 80 minutes of even Rabo rugby? Is he even fit now? If so I look forward to seeing him start against Leinster at the weekend.

Don't get me wrong, a couple of years ago he was excellent. A fantastic player. It's been too long though.

You clearly have no clue what you are on about. Outstanding every time he puts on an Ulster or Ireland jumper.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 23 May 2013, 14:25

GunsGerms wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

You clearly have no clue what you are on about. Outstanding every time he puts on an Ulster or Ireland jumper.

True.

But in terms of taking a risk on a returning player it's up there in Lydiate territory Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 May 2013, 14:33

Sin é wrote:A bit risky calling up Robshaw & Ashton to the Lions considering they probably would be just training on their own for the past while.

I presume Ryan Jones is going to Japan with Wales or is at least training with Wales.

Nah, neither. McBryde has given him the summer off, where he has mentioned that it shouldn't affect his Lions chances were he on standby.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 23 May 2013, 16:32

Nope Jones won't be anywhere near the Wales set up for Japan he has been given summer off.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 23 May 2013, 17:00

GunsGerms wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Do you even know the answers to the questions I asked? When did he last complete 80 minutes of competitive rugby? Is he fit now? If he isn't even fit to play for Ulster this weeknd, then he's surely irrelevant to Lions selection this time round, unless you believe he can get match fit without playing rugby (which would be remarkable!).

Suggesting I have no clue what I'm talking about whilst at the same time saying you'd pick Ferris for the Lions is a little bit silly.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down