The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barbarians team vs The Lions

+18
dragonbreath
Hound of Harrow
gregortree
propdavid_london
Luckless Pedestrian
wales606
LondonTiger
George Carlin
bedfordwelsh
yappysnap
Notch
whocares
Kingshu
king_carlos
100%beefy
Artful_Dodger
Jhamer25
22 posters

Go down

Barbarians team vs The Lions Empty Barbarians team vs The Lions

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 26 May 2013, 6:43 pm

OK Barbarians were awful against England. Truly shocking. Came to life a bit when the likes of Yachvilli and Dean Mumm came on.
Anyway I really want the Barbarians to push the Lions as far as they can. They have the players they just need a platform and some back room staff to help them.
So I am intrigued to see what other people's Barbarians team will be next week who can do a job on the Lions, as they need to be tested if they are to win the series in Australia.
Here is my Barbarians team for next week:
1. Paul James
2. Matthew Rees
3. Martin Castrogiovanni
4. Jim Hamilton (yes he played bad today but I think he will step up against the lions as he would be upset not to get in the lions team)
5. Samu Manoa
6. Alessandro Zanni
7. Fracois Louw
8. Parisse

9. Dimitri Yachvilli
10. Nick Evans
11. Joe Rockocoko
12. Jaque Fourie
13. Casey Laulala
14. Takudzwa Ngwenya
15. Jared Payne

16. Ghiraldini, 17. Lo Cicireo, 18. James Johnstone, 19. Dean Mumm, 20. Imanol, 21. Kahn Fotuali, 22. James Hook, 23. Mike Tindall

A strong scrum is needed next week and with the Lions looshead likely to be Vunipolo as Gatland has expressed that he will not start people playing the week before. So Gethin was set to play Toulsue but dropped out injured before the game and Cian played in the final of the Rabo. So Vunipolo will be a weakness in the scrum. A player like Castro can do some damage but the problem is that the great one is likely to start (Adam Jones by the way), but if Paul can just hold him of the Barbarians can get a descent platform to release Parisse from the scrum. Something they missed today.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Barbarians team vs The Lions Empty Re: Barbarians team vs The Lions

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 26 May 2013, 6:51 pm

That Baa Baas back 3 of Rokocoko, Ngwenya and Payne looks absolutely lethal.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun 26 May 2013, 7:23 pm

People often speculate about the Lions being outdated and irrelevant in the modern era, i'm afraid that it's the Baa Baa brand that may end up on the block if that was anything to go by.

Afraid i don't see MV as a wekaness in the scrum! Your team looks right to me though, that's a helluva pack on paper but can they work as a unit.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun 26 May 2013, 9:21 pm

100%beefy wrote:People often speculate about the Lions being outdated and irrelevant in the modern era, i'm afraid that it's the Baa Baa brand that may end up on the block if that was anything to go by.

Afraid i don't see MV as a wekaness in the scrum! Your team looks right to me though, that's a helluva pack on paper but can they work as a unit.

Vunipolo is a great prop is the loose, so talented. But his strength in the loose isn't going to help him in the scrum. Nearly every game have seen hi in he has been outstanding in the loose but when it came to scrum time he seems to struggle against some of the bigger teams like Ulster, Harlequins and Leicester. The Aussies even though their scrum has been criticised can still be a danger.
Just look back at last autumn. The following week they got destroyed in the scrum against France, England were publically saying they would target the Aussie scrum which must have rattled the like of Benn Robinson and Alexander because they made ends meat of Cole and Co at the scrum. I just feel that if Vunipolo does start a Test he won't be able to make up in the loose for what he does in the scrum. He is still young and props at his age aren't strong, he needs more time. Way too young for a prop to be going on a lions tour.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 27 May 2013, 11:30 am

Below is what I'd field:

1.James
2.Brits
3.Castro
4.Hamilton - Had a bad game but offers huge physical presence so I'd stick with him
5.Mumm
6.Zanni
7.Louw
8.Parrise

9.Fotuali'i
10.Evans

11.Rokocoko
12.Hook
13.Laulala
14.Ngwenya
15.Payne

16.Ghiraldini
17.Lo Cicero
18.Johnstone
19.Manoa
20.Harinordoquy
21.Yachvili
22.Fourie
23.Daly

Taking into account Gatland stating he wont pick players who played this weekend I'd say the below team is fairly likely and could struggle against the Barbarians if they play heads up attacking rugby.

1.Jenkins 2.Hibbard 3.Jones 4.Gray 5.POC 6.Lydiate 7.Warburton 8.Faletau
9.Phillips 10.Farrell 11.North 12.Roberts 13.Davies 14.Cuthbert 15.Halfpenny
16.Best 17.Vunipola 18.Stevens 19.Wyn Jones 20.Tipuric 21.Murray 22.Hogg 23.Maitland

With so many players playing this weekend I'd say above won't be a million miles from the side we'll see against the Barbarians.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Mon 27 May 2013, 12:33 pm

The Lions who played the week before are Best, Jenkins, Healy, Cole, Youngs, Parling, Croft, O'Brien, Heaslip, Youngs, Sexton, O'Driscoll and Tuilagi as well a Kearney who pulled out through injury which leaves the Lions with just one hooker who will know all the calls.
I'd personally go for:
1. Vunipola
2. Hibbard
3. Jones
4. Gray
5. O'Connell
6. Warburton
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Farrell
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Davies
14. Maitland
15. Halfpenny

16. Jenkins
17. Either Youngs or Best
18. Stevens
19. Jones
20. Lydiate
21. Murray
22. Hogg
23. Cuthbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 27 May 2013, 12:42 pm

Mike Tindall captained the Ba Baas, does he stay as Captain for the next game or is the honour shared around, cos if hes captain again then he'll have to start

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Mon 27 May 2013, 12:53 pm

Kingshu wrote:Mike Tindall captained the Ba Baas, does he stay as Captain for the next game or is the honour shared around, cos if hes captain again then he'll have to start

They'll probably play as many British/Irish players as possible as they're likely to be more psyched up for the game,

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 27 May 2013, 4:19 pm

Kingshu wrote:Mike Tindall captained the Ba Baas, does he stay as Captain for the next game or is the honour shared around, cos if hes captain again then he'll have to start

I have a feeling that Pariise will be captain, they saved him last week for a reason.

Also Gethin Jenkins is likely to miss the Hong Kong game. He strained his calf last week and is set to be out for up to 4 days. He might make the bench but he will definitely not be starting. I hope they rest him to be honest because I want him to be 100% for the tour and not have this niggle all the way thtough, he is a too good of a player to take a chance on him for the Hong Kong game. Let him rest.
This means that Vunipolo is now set to start meaning that Carsto MUST start for the barbarians. Their will be a weakness their and the Barbarians need to target him at the scrum.

Last edited by Jhamer25 on Mon 27 May 2013, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 27 May 2013, 4:22 pm

Rokococo doesnt have the pace anymore to be on the wing. He fact he has successfully converted to 13 for bayonne after a first dreadfull season.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 27 May 2013, 4:24 pm

Against England the defence was so porous... every one in ones and twos with no structure at all, not coming up in a line or anything. And then they were second to every breakdown. If they don't sort it out it will be the easiest match on tour.

It would be a shame if the BaaBaas didn't improve because with the talent they have this should be a cracker.

Tindall and Rokocoko are likely to start at 11 and 12 and thats a bit of a problem because they are pretty slow and ineffective now. Rokocoko to 13 would be fine but Lualala was their best back at Twickenham.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 27 May 2013, 4:28 pm

Notch wrote:Against England the defence was so porous... every one in ones and twos with no structure at all, not coming up in a line or anything. And then they were second to every breakdown. If they don't sort it out it will be the easiest match on tour.

It would be a shame if the BaaBaas didn't improve because with the talent they have this should be a cracker.

Exactly they didn't even have simple pods of 3 which is primary school rugby. The whole layout of their attack and defence was a mess. Don't know what Dai Young has been doing with them but it hasn't been rugby training or bonding. Maybe a few games of tick tack toe and darts after their performance.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 27 May 2013, 9:59 pm

That Baabaa's team does look good.

In the B'rians defence they found a lot more structure and rhythm in the final 15 or so against England, started making a few inroads in attack and giving more time and space to Daly. Evans, Kahn and Yachvili will help massively, Tins/Lalala not being centre's will help as well, maybe Hook at 12 because he was Poopie at 10? Parisse and Castro could both be massive helps as well and Louw is a wrecking ball, he'll actually add some direction and leadership and if he brings his aggression levels to the Barbarians then they'll hopefully be an entirely different beast.

I'd still have Daly on one wing and not play Rococoko.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 27 May 2013, 10:04 pm

Rumours Jenkins may not be available due to calf injury suffered playing for Toulon.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 27 May 2013, 10:13 pm

Finally I know it's just wishfull thinking but i'd have loved to have seen a couple more B&I players in the baabaa's.

Guys like Varndell, Care and Robshaw would have given far more i'm sure against Eng and the Baabaa's then some of these SH or French players who seem to not give a damn.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 27 May 2013, 10:18 pm

wade would have been great to see

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 28 May 2013, 9:01 am

yappysnap wrote:Finally I know it's just wishfull thinking but i'd have loved to have seen a couple more B&I players in the baabaa's.

Guys like Varndell, Care and Robshaw would have given far more i'm sure against Eng and the Baabaa's then some of these SH or French players who seem to not give a damn.
Totally agree Yappy.

I was secretly hoping for a Ba-bas backline that looked like this:

9. Nikola Matawalu (Fiji)
10. Freddie Burns (England)
11. Takudzwa Ngwenya (USA)
12. Luke Marshall (Ireland)
13. Jaque Fourie (South Africa)
14. Christian Wade (England)
15. Jared Payne (New Zealand)
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 28 May 2013, 2:33 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Rumours Jenkins may not be available due to calf injury suffered playing for Toulon.

Seems that he has now been definitely ruled out from the opener.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue 28 May 2013, 8:00 pm

Gutting for Gethin, but he will be back so no worries for all the welsh fans out there. So Vunipolo it is
Seems like a got it wrong with Rockoko, I just set him n beuase he had the experience at this level but I haven't been watching him so I trust the majority.
Daly did impress me in the second half, a bit weak in the first half which is why I have my worries. May change my selection slightly then from Rockocko to Daly, I hope you are all right about Daly.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 28 May 2013, 8:09 pm

The likes of Burns and Wade who are on tour with England sadly wouldn't be available but guys such as Care, Robshaw and Ryan Jones would have been great to see:

1.James
2.Brits
3.Castro
4.Hamilton
5.Mumm
6.Jones
7.Robshaw
8.Parisse

9.Care
10.Evans

11.Ngwenya
12.Hook
13.Lualala
14.Simpson-Daniel
15.Byrne

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 29 May 2013, 9:25 am

Stronger team this week

Barbarians: 15 Jared Payne, 14 Joe Rokocoko, 13 Elliot Daly, 12 Casey Laulala, 11 Taku Ngwenya, 10 Nick Evans, 9 Dimitri Yachvili, 8 Sergio Parisse, 7 Sam Jones, 6 Samu Manoa, 5 Dean Mumm, 4 Marco Wentzel, 3 Martin Castrogiovanni, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 Paul James.
Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Duncan Jones, 18 Jim Hamilton, 19 Imanol Harinordoquy, 20 Andrea Lo Cicero, 21 Kahn Fotuali'i, 22 James Hook, 23 Mike Tindall.

http://www.planetrugby.com/lions/story/0,25883,16024_8740886,00.html
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 29 May 2013, 9:50 am

Do we know when the Lions side is going to be announced?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 29 May 2013, 9:52 am

Jhamer25 wrote:
100%beefy wrote:People often speculate about the Lions being outdated and irrelevant in the modern era, i'm afraid that it's the Baa Baa brand that may end up on the block if that was anything to go by.

Vunipolo is a great prop is the loose, so talented. But his strength in the loose isn't going to help him in the scrum. Nearly every game have seen hi in he has been outstanding in the loose but when it came to scrum time he seems to struggle against some of the bigger teams like Ulster, Harlequins and Leicester. The Aussies even though their scrum has been criticised can still be a danger.
Just look back at last autumn. The following week they got destroyed in the scrum against France, England were publically saying they would target the Aussie scrum which must have rattled the like of Benn Robinson and Alexander because they made ends meat of Cole and Co at the scrum. I just feel that if Vunipolo does start a Test he won't be able to make up in the loose for what he does in the scrum. He is still young and props at his age aren't strong, he needs more time. Way too young for a prop to be going on a lions tour.
The Ozzies played a very different tight five against France compared to the team fielded against England. Marler was the one really struggling and I felt that Vaunipola did a lot better when he came on.
As ever though - there is a lot riding on referees interpretation.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 29 May 2013, 9:55 am

LondonTiger wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Rumours Jenkins may not be available due to calf injury suffered playing for Toulon.

Seems that he has now been definitely ruled out from the opener.

Gats could try Toulon's no 1 loose head instead.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 May 2013, 10:16 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Do we know when the Lions side is going to be announced?

Tomorrow.

Slight issue with Sam Warburton, who picked up a knock and is going to be assessed tomorrow. Hope he is okay.

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 29 May 2013, 10:18 am

I think when Oz played France they had Palota-Nau, Kepu and one other that I cant remember.
For the England game they had - Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson.
Very much a 1st team front row - that's what the Lions will have to deal with.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Wed 29 May 2013, 10:50 am

Jhamer - why do you think Castro will be too strong for Vunipola? Castro may still be first choice for Italy (with Cittadini pressing him hard), but he has only started 7-8 games for Tigers this season*.

There's a reason for that; his best years are behind him. *He has now left the Tigers citing his lack of starts as the reason, but as far as I know no team has come in for him. Surely that says something about him.

A decent enough t/h in his day, but not any more.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed 29 May 2013, 10:54 am

Jhamer25 wrote:Gutting for Gethin, but he will be back so no worries for all the welsh fans out there. So Vunipolo it is
Seems like a got it wrong with Rockoko, I just set him n beuase he had the experience at this level but I haven't been watching him so I trust the majority.
Daly did impress me in the second half, a bit weak in the first half which is why I have my worries. May change my selection slightly then from Rockocko to Daly, I hope you are all right about Daly.

Yeh but we have heard that before ain't necessarily so. Crying or Very sad

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 29 May 2013, 11:01 am

dragonbreath wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:Gutting for Gethin, but he will be back so no worries for all the welsh fans out there. So Vunipolo it is

Yeh but we have heard that before ain't necessarily so. Crying or Very sad

Gethin will apparently be back for the next game, he just loses his headstart over Cian Healy
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 29 May 2013, 11:07 am

Hound of Harrow wrote:Jhamer - why do you think Castro will be too strong for Vunipola? Castro may still be first choice for Italy (with Cittadini pressing him hard), but he has only started 7-8 games for Tigers this season*.

There's a reason for that; his best years are behind him. *He has now left the Tigers citing his lack of starts as the reason, but as far as I know no team has come in for him. Surely that says something about him.

A decent enough t/h in his day, but not any more.

I think with Castro its a money thing - Clubs cant afford him although plenty would be happy to have him in their squads.
Its not easy to fit an international TH into an already full salary cap for a lot of teams.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed 29 May 2013, 11:12 am

wales606 wrote:Stronger team this week

Barbarians: 15 Jared Payne, 14 Joe Rokocoko, 13 Elliot Daly, 12 Casey Laulala, 11 Taku Ngwenya, 10 Nick Evans, 9 Dimitri Yachvili, 8 Sergio Parisse, 7 Sam Jones, 6 Samu Manoa, 5 Dean Mumm, 4 Marco Wentzel, 3 Martin Castrogiovanni, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 Paul James.
Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Duncan Jones, 18 Jim Hamilton, 19 Imanol Harinordoquy, 20 Andrea Lo Cicero, 21 Kahn Fotuali'i, 22 James Hook, 23 Mike Tindall.

Doesn't seem to be a TH on the bench, it seems a big ask to ask Castro to play 80 with so little Rugby this year. They obviously think Vunipola is a lightweight. Oh wait a minute he is laughing

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 29 May 2013, 11:18 am

dragonbreath wrote:
wales606 wrote:Stronger team this week

Doesn't seem to be a TH on the bench, it seems a big ask to ask Castro to play 80 with so little Rugby this year. They obviously think Vunipola is a lightweight. Oh wait a minute he is laughing

It does seem strange, Paul James is the THP cover - so either he or Castro will have to play 80 minutes.

If the Baabaas scrum gets some weight then they should be able to hold the Lions front row, Paul James is a very good loosehead and Castro should be able to hold Vunipola.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 29 May 2013, 11:29 am

propdavid_london wrote:I think when Oz played France they had Palota-Nau, Kepu and one other that I cant remember.
For the England game they had - Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson.
Very much a 1st team front row - that's what the Lions will have to deal with.

They also had a lot of help against England from the Assistant Refs, who persistently missed binding on the hem of the sleeve. I can understand if a ref doesn't blow for an armpit bind, but the Aussie tactic was so blatant it's hard to understand how they missed it. Still, I doubt the Lions refs will be any more observant...
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 29 May 2013, 11:36 am

True Poorfour - The Oz pack (when they have their 1st choice out) is incredibly good at dealing with big well drilled pack. I don't want to call it cheating (there is no cheating in the front row), but negative tactics.

Be it slipping binds, boring in or getting an early nudge on.
Dropping the scrum as soon as the ball is at the no.8's feet so the ref wont reset etc.
(If the refs are accurate then Oz should be pinged off the park - but as we know southern hemi refs tend to like letting the game flow - which means ignoring most of these)

All negative tactics that work well for Oz - Lions pack have to be technically skilful as well as just bringing brute power to the table.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 29 May 2013, 12:11 pm

Warburton possibly out of the Barbarians match:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22701786

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 29 May 2013, 12:35 pm

Tindall possibly out too - Rowan Varty is on standby to replace him in front of his home crowd.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 29 May 2013, 8:39 pm

Some odd selections I think, I mean they don't use fourie or hook who are more experienced at centres, Daly is good but I would say his defence is one of his weaknesses. Why the he'll is there 2 loosehead cover. Where is louw and why isn't he even in the team. Headscratch

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 30 May 2013, 1:46 pm

It a bit of a surprise Jenkins isn't on the bench. Unless he's injured(?), he will undoubtedly start on Tuesday with probably MV on the bench.

It looks like a strong indicator that Healy will be the first choice Loosehead and despite him playing last Saturday, Gatland may be wanting to get him on the weekend cycle asap.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 30 May 2013, 4:32 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:Some odd selections I think, I mean they don't use fourie or hook who are more experienced at centres, Daly is good but I would say his defence is one of his weaknesses. Why the he'll is there 2 loosehead cover. Where is louw and why isn't he even in the team. Headscratch

Louw is confusing I agree, Fourie I think isn't actually in the squad. Daly is better at defending at Centre than his size and age would imply and I think he's a better centre than a FB. Hook was literally dire last week which is probably why he isn't starting
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 30 May 2013, 7:07 pm

I'd have Daly over Tins at 13 every day, he can actually keep up with play and is sensational ball in hand.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri 31 May 2013, 12:05 am

The Great Aukster wrote:It a bit of a surprise Jenkins isn't on the bench. Unless he's injured(?), he will undoubtedly start on Tuesday with probably MV on the bench.

It looks like a strong indicator that Healy will be the first choice Loosehead and despite him playing last Saturday, Gatland may be wanting to get him on the weekend cycle asap.

are you on the international space station? just asking.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 31 May 2013, 3:39 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:It a bit of a surprise Jenkins isn't on the bench. Unless he's injured(?), he will undoubtedly start on Tuesday with probably MV on the bench.

Gethin is injured, Healy is the only other available LHP
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 31 May 2013, 10:36 pm

Yes Jenkins will be back for the next game on the bench I would say, then he will start the next one.
But it depends on whether he is back for Tuesday game
Anyway he is the bet loosehead going on that tour. Very Happy
So don't worry he will be fine

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down