The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brett Favre looking to return!

4 posters

Go down

Brett Favre looking to return! Empty Brett Favre looking to return!

Post by Derbyblue Sat May 07, 2011 12:37 pm

I bet most people didn’t expect to see this headline after last season, but yes Brett Favre hopes to return to the world of the NFL. This time though he probably won’t be returning to play, he filed his official papers with the league in January, he is apparently considering becoming a coach or an NFL analyst, but he has said that he doesn’t see himself becoming a full-time coach anytime soon. Does this mean that Favre could be returning as a player-coach? There have been rumours that he would be joining the Panthers as him and Newton have the same agent, and Newton could do with some mentoring, but NFL.com’s Vic Carucci doesn’t see this happening any time soon saying “My guess is that the Carolina Panthers wouldn't see much value in trying to have Favre help with teaching Newton a fairly complex offensive scheme that likely would be difficult for the veteran to grasp, let alone a rookie.”

So if Favre were to return as a player-coach where could you see him ending up?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Brett Favre looking to return! Empty Re: Brett Favre looking to return!

Post by Leedscowboys Sat May 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Would the Vikings have him back to help Ponder? it would need to be with a team that has a new QB, but with vetran receivers, I would rule out anything on the West Coast as too far to travel if working for 1 day a week for example.

How about the Titans, they are quite near to his home, another team with new QB under centre Locker played in a West coast style offence at Washington, if Moss comes back he will have an vetran wideout to throw to, plus their other WR corps have fairly young.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Sat May 07, 2011 7:59 pm

What kind of offensive are Carolina trying to run that they think it's too complicated for veterans, let alone a rookie. Why develop a complex offence that your number one pick can't understand rather than play to his strengths and slowly develop the playbook as he develops?

I realise that this is probably what they will do but that quote from Vic Carucci has really annoyed me for some reason.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sat May 07, 2011 8:06 pm

If they have a complex offence, it would probably explain why the Panthers won 2 all season.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat May 07, 2011 9:29 pm

It could make sense for him to return to Minnesota, he obviously already knows the playbook, and if he wanted to prove his credentials to the Vikings as a player-coach he may be trying to meet up with Ponder and a few other offensive players.

I don't think he would be able to help Locker as much immediately but obviously, a veteran quarterback would be useful in Tennessee with Simms and Collins free agents, and VY probably on his way out, which leaves them with Rusty Smith, Brett Ratliff and Locker not too much experience there.

I'm assuming Carucci is making that statement based upon the offensive scheme they ran last season, and so I would guess the GM would have told coaches to have changed the playbook a bit to accomodate Newton's playing abilities, but also have other plays ready to be added so the playbook can develop through the season as Newton develops too.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Sun May 08, 2011 1:14 pm

He's looking for the role he should have taken 3 years ago in Green Bay instead of the circus that he created in New York and Minn.
Idolised in WI he had the opportunity to be back up QB and coach and mentor to Rodgers and the rest of the QB roster, I'm sure he is still idolised by the majority but moving across the lakes to their arch rivals would have hurt a few people and will stay in the memory.
There's no doubt in my mind he has so much to offer because (ignoring recent seasons) he was an outstanding guaranteed HOF QB, his experience is priceless

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down