The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open Day 11 - Can Wawrinka Stop Rafa?

+19
laverfan
ChequeredJersey
Henman Bill
break_in_the_fifth
_homogenised_
mthierry
barrystar
ryan86
bogbrush
The Special Juan
lydian
banbrotam
CaledonianCraig
LuvSports!
HM Murdock
hawkeye
Josiah Maiestas
summerblues
invisiblecoolers
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

French Open Day 11 - Can Wawrinka Stop Rafa? - Page 2 Empty French Open Day 11 - Can Wawrinka Stop Rafa?

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 05 Jun 2013, 2:45 am

First topic message reminder :

What a day we had, finally a French hero rising to the occasion to down a legend, but his work is not over indeed got 2 crucial matches ahead to be considered as a GS champ. Rise of underdogs as been the theme of the day will it continue another day? the biggest question is can Wawrinka somehow outset the off-color Rafa?French Open Day 11 - Can Wawrinka Stop Rafa? - Page 2 4473114-3x2-700x467

Haas has in him to beat Nole, but not sure Wawrinka has in him to take Rafa to even 4 sets let alone a win, but would certainly love a complete underdogs semi.

Schedule of Matches

Court Philippe Chatrier
2:00 PM Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
Jelena Jankovic (SRB) [18] vs. Maria Sharapova (RUS) [2]

Followed byMen's Singles - Quarterfinals
Rafael Nadal (ESP) [3] vs.Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) [9]

Court Suzanne Lenglen
2:00 PM Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
Maria Kirilenko (RUS) [12] vs.Victoria Azarenka (BLR) [3]

Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
Novak Djokovic (SRB) [1] vs.Tommy Haas (GER) [12]

Jelena is a surprise semi's in my view, could get toasted at Sharapova's hands, Kirlenko vs Vika could be interesting, Two Maria's can do it.

I would love to see Wawrinka -Nadal match start atleast an hour early, so if miracle happen and Wawrinka upset Rafa I will be fully rooting for Haas, if not I would love to see Nole-Rafa semi's, so either Waw-Haas or Nole-Rafa, no other combination pls.

Tommy Haas got a good 7 odds to win the match, if people buying the hype of underdogs then Tommy's odds are eye catching. Wawrinka gets 10 odds on the other hand, I won't advice this unless somebody is an extreme gambler . Very Happy

Let the theme "Rise of Underdogs" continue, most tennis fans want to see a new champ, let see whether Haas and Warinka has any say in it.

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:01 am; edited 3 times in total

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 11 - Can Wawrinka Stop Rafa? - Page 2 Empty Re: French Open Day 11 - Can Wawrinka Stop Rafa?

Post by Guest Wed 05 Jun 2013, 4:46 pm

He's living up to everyone's expectations.

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 11 - Can Wawrinka Stop Rafa? - Page 2 Empty Re: French Open Day 11 - Can Wawrinka Stop Rafa?

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 05 Jun 2013, 4:51 pm

Off topic but I was just thinking about how Lydian was saying Fed uses an old raquet and hasn't moved with the times. How hilarious would it be to see him come back with one of those double handled raquets and dominate the game. It would be an irony fitting the state of the game today to have the most beautiful player transformed into the ugliest and dominate just like he did before.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 05 Jun 2013, 4:53 pm

Djokovic 6 games away now... not at his best but still much better than Tommy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 05 Jun 2013, 4:53 pm

Just when you think Stan is back in it when breaking for 3-3, Nadal ups the gas and breaks again. Even off the boil in this set Nadal is still far too much for Stan, he simply has more variety and control. Stan's tennis is a little straight up and down...and predictable.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 05 Jun 2013, 4:59 pm

At least Tommy's not being mercilessly crushed by Djokovic. He's kept it competitive and that's worthy of applause in it's own right, but is probably patronising. Novak to win the title having dropped just the one set?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:02 pm

Nadal standing miles back (I guess this is clay) and Stan just hitting errors to lose serve and the set. I just tuned in for the last game.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:11 pm

Wawrinka's level isn't too bad this set. Has it improved?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:23 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Nadal standing miles back (I guess this is clay) and Stan just hitting errors to lose serve and the set. I just tuned in for the last game.
Stan is a fricking joke mentally give his talent to someone more deserving like Ferrer look at Nadal even he feels like this was too easy
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:25 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Wawrinka's level isn't too bad this set. Has it improved?

He's finished. He has played crap and he never had the belief to begin with.

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:28 pm

So you're 2-0 and 5-0 down against Rafa on clay. Where do you go from here? What woud he need to do to win from this position??

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:29 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Wawrinka not living up to expectations?

Expectations generated by the H2H in which Nadal has never dropped a set?

Don't think so.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:30 pm

Henman Bill wrote:So you're 2-0 and 5-0 down against Rafa on clay. Where do you go from here? What woud he need to do to win from this position??

Simple. You need to hope that Nadal has a real injury.

Last edited by _homogenised_ on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:30 pm

Henman Bill wrote:So you're 2-0 and 5-0 down against Rafa on clay. Where do you go from here? What woud he need to do to win from this position??

Shoot Nadal in the knee cap
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:37 pm

lydian wrote:Just when you think Stan is back in it when breaking for 3-3, Nadal ups the gas and breaks again. Even off the boil in this set Nadal is still far too much for Stan, he simply has more variety and control. Stan's tennis is a little straight up and down...and predictable.

Rafa won this match half a sleep, its good for Stan proper Rafa didn't turn up otherwise it would have been a humiliation, stan was completely off boil throughout the match except for few games here n there.

Well done Rafa. Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:38 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Shoot Nadal in the knee cap

Nadal will wheel chair to win. furious

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:39 pm

Sorry Danny, but atleast you thank Nadal for not humiliating your man. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:41 pm

Did Novak fail to serve out a set again? It happens far too frequently.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:45 pm

Congrats on routine 3 sets victory of Haas Mr.Djoker.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:52 pm

Nadal and Djokovic... battle royal. Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:53 pm

laverfan wrote:Nadal and Djokovic... battle royal. Cool

Can Ferrer take advantage of it? we wanted Federer to take advantage of it, he said not interested Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:53 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Did Novak fail to serve out a set again? It happens far too frequently.

Yup.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:57 pm

_homogenised_ wrote:

Simple. You need to hope that Nadal has a real injury.

Doh picard censored

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm

So, who goes first on Friday? I think it goes...

Djokovic v Nadal
Tsonga v Ferrer

as Tsonga second will suit French TV more (a la Murray/BBC). Normally I'd say Nole/Nadal as second as its the "bigger" match but I think Tsonga trumps that.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:01 pm

Great tennis from Nadal, ill be looking to play like him in my game tonight!

Im going for a Nadal vs Tsonga final, with Tsonga winning the whole thing. Putting some money on that now!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm

I think I'm now in a position to make a prediction and based on the respective performances so far, I can't see Nadal troubling Djokovic. The problem for Nadal is that (and feel free to rage at me until the cows come home) I think Novak's just better than him these days.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Great tennis from Nadal, ill be looking to play like him in my game tonight!

Im going for a Nadal vs Tsonga final, with Tsonga winning the whole thing. Putting some money on that now!

Message from William Hill

laughing Yahoo French Open Day 11 - Can Wawrinka Stop Rafa? - Page 2 3933776953 clap

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:07 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I think I'm now in a position to make a prediction and based on the respective performances so far, I can't see Nadal troubling Djokovic. The problem for Nadal is that (and feel free to rage at me until the cows come home) I think Novak's just better than him these days.

Up until today I would have agreed but...... Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 05 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm

Just saw the Novak match.

Novak hit a great winner in the 2nd set tie break that pretty much took the set away from Tommy. Despite this, Tommy made a point of giving Novak a thumbs up in commendation.

What a top guy. Real class.

Also, Novak 22 out of 27 net points! Novak! Net points!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:42 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Just saw the Novak match.

Novak hit a great winner in the 2nd set tie break that pretty much took the set away from Tommy. Despite this, Tommy made a point of giving Novak a thumbs up in commendation.

What a top guy. Real class.

Also, Novak 22 out of 27 net points! Novak! Net points!

Look out Murdoch the volleying accounting team will come in now and tell us this statistic doesn't count. Remember overheads aren't volleys, drive volleys aren't volleys, if you don't come in on the first ball it isn't a volley, and if it is an easy put away it isn't a volley either. That is how they gave credit to Novak for 4 volleys in his final in the AO against Murray this year.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:45 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I think I'm now in a position to make a prediction and based on the respective performances so far, I can't see Nadal troubling Djokovic. The problem for Nadal is that (and feel free to rage at me until the cows come home) I think Novak's just better than him these days.

I think Novak is rounding into shape, he did lose his serve a couple of times in the last set but played a very clean match. If he serves well and plays cleanly behind his serve I think he beats Nadal. Tough to call though, very hard to predict who will win Nadal has so much fight and such pedigree on the surface.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2