The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aussie supporter comments post Reds vs Lions match

+5
BigTrevsbigmac
Taylorman
Full Credit
Icu
maestegmafia
9 posters

Go down

Aussie supporter comments post Reds vs Lions match Empty Aussie supporter comments post Reds vs Lions match

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm

The game plan worked and the Reds could've won had they won their lineout ball. This was the Lion's greatest source of possession. Pity.
CommenterMyer Pinion Date and time June 9th 2013, 1:14 am
The line out superiority of the Lions was generated by them being allowed by the ref to close the gap at almost every line out.
Seated high in the stands as we are near halfway it gives a good overview of the ground and it was obvious from the first line out of the match.
Like all the other infringements such as the Lions playing metres off side seemed invisible to the French ref.
CommenterAB Location Date and time June 9th 2013, 2:33 am
Every team tries to sail as close to the edge of the rules as they can. The Kiwis are the grand masters at it, always have been. They challenge the refs to penalise them, knowing what will happen to them if they blow the pea out of their whistle. Having seen this tactic, we should expect the coaches and players to come up with a counter plan and the captain to do his best to manage the ref. That's what Richie does to amazing effect. Like it or not, it's part of the game, partly at least because almost every contact is "penalisable". That's rugby (and AFL).
CommenterChris Location Kiama Date and time June 9th 2013, 12:45 pm
What a great Match.
The Tests won't equal this one !
CommenterJust Wondering Location Qld Date and time June 9th 2013, 1:27 am
More confirmation that QC's directionless hail mary game strategy has no place in the test arena. It'll be interesting to see how the much better the Brumbies do next week.
CommenterCrispy Location Date and time June 9th 2013, 1:44 am
Spot on Crispy. Also a strong message to the powers that be that McKenzie has no place as future Wallaby coach due to his continued "love" of QC. The plan of moving the Lions around always had merit but the execution and decision making by QC was crap.There are no so blind as those who cannot see.
Commenterdaryl Location Date and time June 9th 2013, 2:26 am
Wonder if The Herald will write a stern editorial about violence on the Rugby Union field,wonder if they will go around polling mothers while grim faced reporters write about violence and Offsiders pundits get all po faced.
Bloodbath on the field according to the headlines,be interesting to watch the fallout,but then after all it is Union and its OK in union to bite kick punch ect but I bet we don't get anything said by the Union loving hypocrites at the Herald.
CommenterJohn Location Perth Date and time June 9th 2013, 2:19 am
Rugby is Gentlemen being Thugs.
Thats why we watch it !
CommenterJock Frazza Location Qld Date and time June 9th 2013, 7:34 am
I dont relly think I saw any punches thrown, I am assuming that you are making comparisons to the Origin game during the week.
The blood on the field was primarily through playing hard and by the rules, not through assaulting another person and claiming that it is ok because you are playing a game.
CommenterTyrone Biggums Location Date and time June 9th 2013, 7:39 am
Good to see the Aussie whinger is back, as if he ever goes away! Comment by AB. If all else fails blame the ref!
CommenterFitz Location Date and time June 9th 2013, 4:14 am

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Aussie supporter comments post Reds vs Lions match Empty Re: Aussie supporter comments post Reds vs Lions match

Post by Icu Tue 11 Jun 2013, 3:33 am

Most of the post match discussion seemed to be about 50/50 on whether QC is rubbish or must have player. As always the conversation goes back to Robbie Deans. He doesn't fare so well:

“Robbie Deans coaching the Wallabies is like having your mother supervise your first date.”

"Cooper entertained and in doing so gave the Reds a fighting chance,he’s a crowd puller,I hope The Lions win so Deans can get the boot"

"I’m anti-Deans. He has not brought out the best in the players with whom he had to work. The negative garbage that I have watched with him at the helm is the most cringeworthy and frustrating time I’ve had in my 44 years supporting Australian rugby."

Believe it or not, there seems to be a substantial number of supporters wanting the Wallabies to cop a hiding so RD is given the flick. Don't understand this myself.

Icu

Back to top Go down

Aussie supporter comments post Reds vs Lions match Empty Re: Aussie supporter comments post Reds vs Lions match

Post by Full Credit Tue 11 Jun 2013, 3:57 am

Cooper is being criticised about his captaincy, specifically for not adapting to the conditions and playing a tighter game when the weather demanded it. Personally I didn't see the point in kicking penalties for the corner when you don't have a functioning lineout, you might as well have a crack.

While I don't want the Wallabies to cop a hiding, I'd love to see the back of Robbie "crash ball" Deans. The selections of Horne, McCabe, Barnes, Burgess etc. show that Robbie has learned nothing from his time at the wheel. Not recognising Quade as one of the 31 best players in the country proves that "crash ball's" grudge is alive and well. The only creative selection was Israel Folau but that was probably at the ARU's insistence to try and keep him in the code.

I don't want the Wallabies to play as loosely as the Reds did on Saturday night but I'm sick of the boring, uninspired play they dish up season after season with Deans steering the ship. Can't we find a middle ground?

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 11 Jun 2013, 4:21 am

Agree, how the higher powers have accepted his continued low win rate is extraoridinary..he doesnt seemed to have done anything about the infrastructure, the relationship across the sxv sides etc in terms of minimising injury, maximising availability and has disciplinary issues across the board with several players over the years to deal with.

He has managed to squeeze some good wins, particularly over the Boks, but I think thats mainly down to a very highly talented small core group of players

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:05 am

It's not surprising that fans want more creative players & not the 'crash ball' types. Maybe there is a similar criticism that is aimed at Gatland.

It is probably a lot easier for a coach to utilise the 'crash ball' type players than to create a game plan around a lot more so called creative players.

The percentage gain line success of a bigun is probably higher than the creative players but what would you rather watch? A good mix is essential but if you totally ignore the option of a creative player even to put in a squad then it probably tells you more about the coach than the player.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:02 am

Well BigTrev I would rather watch the Wallabies play a fast flowing game, and lose, then to play a crash ball style that we're not suited at and win by 2 or just as likely still lose.

Not that I want the Wallabies to lose, of course I want them to win every game, and I will always support the side, even when playing dour rugby. I'm talking about the dream, stylish rugby with a a competent pack.

But with Deans in charge I feel we've lost a few years to build a good side and combination and confidence with the players, instead we've seem to stagger form game to game, winning some, but never excited. The best games have been when we do let the backs run, usually at the death.

For sure we do need a defensive structure, but I think we've shown against the boks and kiwis we can defend, and defend, but how about a few adventures with the ball in hand? Eddie Jones did lose a lot of games, mainly I think at the time we did not have any forwards to speak of, but at least every game there was a few back line moves which gets you excited and optimistic that next game we'll find some forwards and protect the lead. With Deans, yes we are winning more but I'm not happy with the way the Wallabies are playing, and not sure the players are 100% happy either.

My 2c worth

ps Of course now having said that the tests will now be won by the Wallabies playing blistering 100mph plays that dazzles everyone, and making me look an idiot by questinng Dean's judgement!! Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 11 Jun 2013, 10:38 am

According to one recent survey the majority of Aussie fans have grown tired of Cooper and back Deans in omitting him for the latest Aussie squad. There is no doubt Cooper has talent but he is a coaches nightmare because he is a maverick.

Like all mavericks he is unpredictable, unorthodox and hard to pin down. This for some is more of a reason to like him than to dislike him. However, I like Deans wouldn’t pick Cooper because for all his strengths he doesn’t have the right attitude or temperament to be a top pro as I suspect he doesn’t always follow the game plan and also as demonstrated by any number of off field indiscretions the latest being a bust up in a local pub after the Lions game.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/rugby-union/wallabies-reject-quade-coopers-bad-day-ends-with-pub-incident/story-e6frg7o6-1226660987983

For me good rugby players are like domesticated animals. In order to domesticate an animal they most satisfy a number of key criteria including

-they need to reach maturity quickly

-cannot have a strong tendency to panic and flee under pressure

-they must conform to a social hierarchy.

I do admire Coopers poise, his binary like composure - he can switch it on, switch it off at will, and his electrifying willingness to take risks. These are hallmarks of a champion. However, it is the more intangible qualities such as attitude and discipline that are desperately lacking.

The way I see it Deans is doing Cooper a massive favour here. Disappointment in a true champion should be the catalyst to make the necessary character adjustments and iron out the flaws to be the best you can be. At age 25 it’s by no means too late for Cooper however only time will tell if the beast can be domesticated.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 11:23 am

This AUS team has enough to win the series and with the lions giving them a step ahead of their RC rivals, if they win the lions tour I think they will win the RC too... the RC is all about momentum and the first game is at home vs. the ABs.

Happened in 09 with the boks... and it forced SARU to keep onto PDV until the world cup.

If Deans wins the lions series I think he will get the job right to the RWC. In the end with O'Connor, Barnes and Beale its not like he has Cooper or nothing.... although its still loco and speaks of a personal issue if nothing else between Deans and Cooper.

Cooper might as well move to Europe if thats the case. He won't get a sniff with Deans in charge and given his all action play I could see him easily commanding the best salary in world rugby to one of the top french sides... perhaps even replacing Jonny at Toulon.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 11 Jun 2013, 11:31 am

fa0019 wrote:This AUS team has enough to win the series and with the lions giving them a step ahead of their RC rivals, if they win the lions tour I think they will win the RC too... the RC is all about momentum and the first game is at home vs. the ABs.

Happened in 09 with the boks... and it forced SARU to keep onto PDV until the world cup.

If Deans wins the lions series I think he will get the job right to the RWC. In the end with O'Connor, Barnes and Beale its not like he has Cooper or nothing.... although its still loco and speaks of a personal issue if nothing else between Deans and Cooper.

Cooper might as well move to Europe if thats the case. He won't get a sniff with Deans in charge and given his all action play I could see him easily commanding the best salary in world rugby to one of the top french sides... perhaps even replacing Jonny at Toulon.

Clermont could do with someone a bit better than Brock James - their lack of a top-flight 10 contributed to their failure to convert possession and territory into enough points in the HEC final
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 11:45 am

He'll certainly bring in the crowds which is why he can command such big demands. The reds attendance have been bumper since he has put his mark on the Reds. Not just him obviously.. but the team has been built around Genia and Cooper.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:37 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Clermont could do with someone a bit better than Brock James - their lack of a top-flight 10 contributed to their failure to convert possession and territory into enough points in the HEC final

I was also thinking Clermont would be a better fit because they have Morgan Parra at 9 who is an exceptional goal kicker which would allow Cooper to concentrate on other parts of his game.

Clermont is also not a glitz and glam place and Cooper might benefit from the lower key lifestyle.

Finally French rugby is very unstructured and a little disorganised with players given more freedom of expression. This also might suit Cooper.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down