The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHO'S THE BEEEEEST?

+11
cats_r_cool
Wooffie
I AM AWESOME
Solerina
sportslover
socal1976
legendkillar
Haddie-nuff
Stealth Maestro Agro Love
sonic_boom10
noleisthebest
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WHO'S THE BEEEEEST? Empty WHO'S THE BEEEEEST?

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 09, 2011 6:09 am

NOLEISTHEBEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo

Last edited by Y I Man on Mon May 09, 2011 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please keep cool on the smilies on the main tennis section, safe for work and all. thanks)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

WHO'S THE BEEEEEST? Empty Re: WHO'S THE BEEEEEST?

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 09, 2011 6:10 am

Djokovic was lucky.

Won't be winning at Rome or Roland Garros

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Mon May 09, 2011 6:13 am

Great performance from Nole today, well done to him.

Sonic_boom, are you going to come to terms with the fact that Nadal couldn't handle him today, or not? He wasn't lucky, he overcame Nadal every time he looked like turning the match on its head. Nadal may have been poor at times but that's his fault and his problem, not Djokovic's.

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 09, 2011 6:14 am

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:Great performance from Nole today, well done to him.

Sonic_boom, are you going to come to terms with the fact that Nadal couldn't handle him today, or not? He wasn't lucky, he overcame Nadal every time he looked like turning the match on its head. Nadal may have been poor at times but that's his fault and his problem, not Djokovic's.

Surface at altitude was the decider. Simple really.

Djokovic has no chance what so ever at Rome or French Open

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon May 09, 2011 6:22 am

Winning over a very very below par Nadal... a win is a win ...
But thats as much as I can say about a very very boring match.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon May 09, 2011 6:22 am

Rafa was outplayed.

Simples.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon May 09, 2011 6:22 am

[/quote]

Djokovic has no chance what so ever at Rome or French Open[/quote]

Did you say the same thing before Australia, Dubai, Indian wells, Miami, belgrade, and now Madrid? Weren't you predicting a nadal victory before the match?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon May 09, 2011 6:23 am

Congrats Nole, I don't think I have ever seen Rafa handled that easily on clay, well maybe not since 2004.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 09, 2011 6:24 am

socal1976 wrote:

Djokovic has no chance what so ever at Rome or French Open[/quote]

Did you say the same thing before Australia, Dubai, Indian wells, Miami, belgrade, and now Madrid? Weren't you predicting a nadal victory before the match?[/quote]
Djoko was lucky at IW, Miami and Madrid.

Dubai and Belgrade are minor events.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon May 09, 2011 6:25 am

I wish Rafa's fan were as gracious as he is in defeat

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 09, 2011 6:27 am

legendkillar wrote:I wish Rafa's fan were as gracious as he is in defeat
As subtle as a kick to the groin....

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Mon May 09, 2011 6:28 am

Hee hee hee..... some tempers fraying here. Personally I thought that match was rather good to watch, perhaps not quite the Indian Wells and Miami battles, but a good one nevertheless. Legendkillar is absolutely bang on; show some respect to Djokovic will you? He's just beaten the king of clay.

Interesting that Djokovic is finally able to hurt Nadal on clay, just as Nadal can get to Djokovic on hard courts. It may be stating the bleedin' obvious but it's clear that the two are now close to being at a par with each other. Should make an interesting rivalry this year!

For those banging on about Rome, both will likely lose eventually here. They've got matches tomorrow or Tuesday I think?! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 09, 2011 6:29 am

Has Rafa ever lost in straights on clay?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 am

Great result for Novak and so refreshing to see a new name winning a Masters on Clay.

Rome up next but the real test will be RG and he must now believe he can do it there as well 8)

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 09, 2011 6:31 am

noleisthebest wrote:Has Rafa ever lost in straights on clay?
Federer Madrid 2009

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon May 09, 2011 6:32 am

A bit of a slip their NIB.... has Rafa LOST in straights ?? or has he been BEATEN in straights..... WHO'S THE BEEEEEST? 590675 because yes I would have said Rafa lost. WHO'S THE BEEEEEST? 1479719350

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 09, 2011 6:33 am

I must say that was an epic effort from Nole: composed, focused, bold, he played with such great belief, I am soooo happy...
Altough I live in a detached house, I hope my neighbours won't have minded my celebratory roars Yahoo

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon May 09, 2011 6:34 am

When Federer started to lose to Nadal I heard the same. Roger was below par, Nadal was lucky. These guys will lose matches eventually. It is refreshing to see someone that stepping up to challenge and beat Nadal on clay. Djokovic played brilliant. I think it is also testiment to Nadal that it takes such a fantastic performance from an opponent like that to beat him on clay. At the end of the day Tennis is winner.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 09, 2011 6:36 am

legendkillar wrote:When Federer started to lose to Nadal I heard the same. Roger was below par, Nadal was lucky. These guys will lose matches eventually. It is refreshing to see someone that stepping up to challenge and beat Nadal on clay. Djokovic played brilliant. I think it is also testiment to Nadal that it takes such a fantastic performance from an opponent like that to beat him on clay. At the end of the day Tennis is winner.
If you saw Rafa play last year on clay and this year, the performances are markedly different.

Nadal hasn't peaked in 2011 on clay.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon May 09, 2011 6:38 am

sonic boom is Australia a minor event? How about Miami, indian wells, and Madrid? If you are going to come up with silly excuses then at least ground them in a grain of logic. Rafa is a gracious champ, he will be back and would probably still be the favorite in Rome and in Roland Garros. But the battle for #1 is on. And instead of coming up with lame excuses and cheap shots, you might want to enjoy this new rivalry between to great players.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 09, 2011 6:38 am

Nole's tightened his game and confidence has made it virtually impregnable.
THAT is the difference.

Oh, and all those gluten-free cookies, too Smile

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 09, 2011 6:39 am

Hey, socal, what do you reckon?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 09, 2011 6:40 am

socal1976 wrote:sonic boom is Australia a minor event? How about Miami, indian wells, and Madrid? If you are going to come up with silly excuses then at least ground them in a grain of logic. Rafa is a gracious champ, he will be back and would probably still be the favorite in Rome and in Roland Garros. But the battle for #1 is on. And instead of coming up with lame excuses and cheap shots, you might want to enjoy this new rivalry between to great players.
Djokovic isn't a great player....yet.

Don't get ahead of yourself.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 09, 2011 6:41 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HRzaOFhec

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon May 09, 2011 6:43 am

NIB

Give it a rest eh Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon May 09, 2011 6:45 am

Nitb, I am loving life, let me tell you it was your faith in Novak before this match and your bold predictions that got me through some tough moments in the first set.

Sonic boom, I want to debate you on the point but you know what if you aren't going to be objective and are going to try to be wum or a hater it isn't really worth it. All I have to say is multiple grandslam champion my friend. That is when you can legitimately start the conversation of greatness. And if Roger and Rafa are great, maybe the guy who has won his last six matches against the two of them and has nearly 20 wins against the two goat candidates can lay claim to a legacy of his own?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 09, 2011 6:48 am

socal1976 wrote:
Sonic boom, I want to debate you on the point but you know what if you aren't going to be objective and are going to try to be wum or a hater it isn't really worth it. All I have to say is multiple grandslam champion my friend. That is when you can legitimately start the conversation of greatness. And if Roger and Rafa are great, maybe the guy who has won his last six matches against the two of them and has nearly 20 wins against the two goat candidates can lay claim to a legacy of his own?

Each to there own my friend.

Neither am I a wum or a hater.

Djokovic needs to win another slam outside Australia to be a great player.

I said the same about Nadal after he won his first 4 French Opens.

My opinion.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 09, 2011 6:49 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:NIB

Come on, show a little tenderness and happiness for somebody else...I've been waiting for this for years...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Mon May 09, 2011 6:50 am

Congrats to Nole.....commiserations to Rafa.

Enjoy your discussion everyone.....please keep it friendly : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon May 09, 2011 6:51 am

I am not too worried sonic boom, Novak I am pretty sure will get a USO title or two before he is through and he can play on clay and is very underrated on grass as well. So are you now going on the record that if Novak wins another grandslam other than the AO that he will in your eyes be considered great?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon May 09, 2011 6:53 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:NIB

Come on, show a little tenderness and happiness for somebody else...I've been waiting for this for years...

So now you have it... I trust you have got it out of your system

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon May 09, 2011 6:55 am

socal1976 wrote:I am not too worried sonic boom, Novak I am pretty sure will get a USO title or two before he is through and he can play on clay and is very underrated on grass as well. So are you now going on the record that if Novak wins another grandslam other than the AO that he will in your eyes be considered great?
I've all way said winning different slams is a sign of greatness. So yes, whether it's USO, Wimbo or Paris - I'll consider him a great player.

Obviously not on 606v2 as I'm pretty new on here!!!

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Mon May 09, 2011 7:04 am

Hmmmmm... I think Djokovic needs to lose now, I'm not saying this because I hate the guy or anything, but as the streak goes on the more pressure there'll be on him to keep winning and if he loses say a game behind Mcenroe's streak then there might a big fallout afterwards.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon May 09, 2011 7:12 am

I don't think so I am Awesome, he may lose next match out, he may not. But this is a different player than the Djokovic of 12 months or 24 months ago. He was up a double break in the first set, lost the lead and I thought ok that is it he will be crushed. He just broke Rafa to win the first set two games later and just kept the pressure on. Remember we are talking about a guy now who has gotten used to play with the biggest stakes on the table. Grandslam finals, davis cup, and master's finals. I think he will just take the loss in stride, he has been there, and at 24 years old he is a grizzled veteran.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Mon May 09, 2011 7:24 am

socal1976 wrote:I don't think so I am Awesome, he may lose next match out, he may not. But this is a different player than the Djokovic of 12 months or 24 months ago. He was up a double break in the first set, lost the lead and I thought ok that is it he will be crushed. He just broke Rafa to win the first set two games later and just kept the pressure on. Remember we are talking about a guy now who has gotten used to play with the biggest stakes on the table. Grandslam finals, davis cup, and master's finals. I think he will just take the loss in stride, he has been there, and at 24 years old he is a grizzled veteran.

Hmmmm... true. I think the Novak of 12 months ago, if he were to lose such a streak would simply die out for a few months, this seems a much different Novak, a side to him that we've never seen.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 am

He actually has had this side to him all along, he has always been a great competitor. He just completely lost his serve for about 18 months while he was tinkering back and forth with it. Also his conditioning due to health issues or lack of focus caused him to lose a lot of matches. Exhaustion makes cowards of us all. But he has been a much stronger and has matured as a player. He had the makings of the championship mindset before, but now it is all rounding into shape and the confidence and maturity is a big part of it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Mon May 09, 2011 7:30 am

I AM AWESOME wrote:
socal1976 wrote:I don't think so I am Awesome, he may lose next match out, he may not. But this is a different player than the Djokovic of 12 months or 24 months ago. He was up a double break in the first set, lost the lead and I thought ok that is it he will be crushed. He just broke Rafa to win the first set two games later and just kept the pressure on. Remember we are talking about a guy now who has gotten used to play with the biggest stakes on the table. Grandslam finals, davis cup, and master's finals. I think he will just take the loss in stride, he has been there, and at 24 years old he is a grizzled veteran.

Hmmmm... true. I think the Novak of 12 months ago, if he were to lose such a streak would simply die out for a few months, this seems a much different Novak, a side to him that we've never seen.
I still think you might have a point though Awesome, for all his eventual loss is unlikely to then be followed by god awful form, it may signal the return of the mortal (ie. He won't suddenly follow it with another 30 match streak or anything daft), as opposed to the all-conquering beast we're currently playing witness to. It's a one off run, a great run of form, and we should savour it while it lasts!

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Mon May 09, 2011 7:41 am

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:
I AM AWESOME wrote:

I still think you might have a point though Awesome, for all his eventual loss is unlikely to then be followed by god awful form, it may signal the return of the mortal (ie. He won't suddenly follow it with another 30 match streak or anything daft), as opposed to the all-conquering beast we're currently playing witness to. It's a one off run, a great run of form, and we should savour it while it lasts!
Would be amazing though to see Nole go on another 30 match run, lol.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 7:42 am

It is said that the test of a person is how they conduct themselves in defeat. It is a pity that some are unable to follow Rafaels excellent example.

And congratulations to Novak for a brilliant tournament and for his years work, as well as those that follow him (e.g NoleistheBest thumbsup)

Last edited by Nore Staat on Mon May 09, 2011 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon May 09, 2011 7:44 am

Goodnight all its very late up at six in the am to go to work, congrats Nole fans. And better luck next time Rafa fans.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Mon May 09, 2011 7:47 am

Nore Staat wrote:It is said that the test of a person is how they conduct themselves in defeat. It is a pity that some are unable to follow Rafaels excellent example.

And congratulations to Novak for a brilliant tournament and for his years work, as well as those that follow him (e.g NoleistheBest thumbsup)
Yep, and it's not even like as if Rafa loses an awful lot. Wonder how the Rafa-lites will react if he loses at Rome and at the French?

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Mon May 09, 2011 7:52 am

I AM AWESOME wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:It is said that the test of a person is how they conduct themselves in defeat. It is a pity that some are unable to follow Rafaels excellent example.

And congratulations to Novak for a brilliant tournament and for his years work, as well as those that follow him (e.g NoleistheBest WHO'S THE BEEEEEST? 732107)
Yep, and it's not even like as if Rafa loses an awful lot. Wonder how the Rafa-lites will react if he loses at Rome and at the French?
Well to be fair the Rafateers have kept themselves to themselves and been very respectful regarding the defeat. So fair play to them. To others who may sulk..... well, it is only a game. Unless Blake is involved. Then it's serious business.

PS. Speaking of Blake, where's my congratulations for Sarasota, huh? WHO'S THE BEEEEEST? 799471

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon May 09, 2011 8:01 am

If the Rafa fans are disappointed what about Rogers "flock"

The new "kid" in the top two is unlikely to relinquish his spot in the near future and time is not on the Emperors side anymore.

The future looks like there is now a new top two which is good for the game and hopefully there will be a few others around to give them a hard time Very Happy

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Mon May 09, 2011 8:05 am

I'm sure you all look in on our threads and we've been taking this on the chin and being as respectful as we can whilst discussing it as fans do. We are a bit disappointed with Rafa's approach and realise that its down to him now for him to grow as a player too, and find a way against the player who is playing the best right now.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Mon May 09, 2011 8:09 am

Wooffie wrote:I'm sure you all look in on our threads and we've been taking this on the chin and being as respectful as we can whilst discussing it as fans do. We are a bit disappointed with Rafa's approach and realise that its down to him now for him to grow as a player too, and find a way against the player who is playing the best right now.
WHO'S THE BEEEEEST? 732107 That is pretty much all you need to say. As opposed to Djokovic will burn!!!!!! or something similar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon May 09, 2011 8:14 am

I think I can also add as one of the Rafa fans it isn´t our concern so much that Rafa lost.. he is human when all is said and done.. and it has become a bit of a habit of his to win everything there is to win.and we have selfishly accepted thats what he does.. Its the reasons for his loss is what is more concerning. As Wooffie says its Rafa´s approach that has to be addressed. That for me was the disappointment in his game today. Normally so ready to make adjustments to his game on the hoof... he simply had run out of ideas.
However the Rafa we know, plus his team, I daresay are sitting around the drawing board at this very moment.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 8:18 am

Dont worry Wooffie, we are experiencing a strong era at the moment, the wums would like to bend reality and call it the complete opposite, but
I dont think I have witnessed such a swinging ten year span when...

A/ Nadal looked like he was going to win everything,
B/ Murray looked like he was going to win a slam,
C/ Federer looked as good as he has for years,
D/ Djokovic looked like he might break through,
E/ Del Potro looked like the proverbial spanner in the works.

In all those instances consistency was a problem, whether down to muscular or technical fatigue, no one seemed to have the upper hand for a long period. Except now it is Djokovic's time to reap the accolades.

Who knows what the future holds, but the next few months, nay, the next few years might not herald any single players era, but a time when we will all be waiting for the next Federer to come along, and right now, there isn't one on the horizon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 am

On the other hand it is said that the clay of Madrid is different to the clay of Roland Garros etc, but I think it is fair to say that Rafael now has a decent challenger to his clay court dominion, although his clay court H2H with Djokovic is still 9:1 in his favour.

[In response to the suggestion Rafael has to go back to the drawing board].

Last edited by Nore Staat on Mon May 09, 2011 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon May 09, 2011 8:24 am

I dont think Nole will be the only one.. what I saw of that young Bellucci I think we may well have a star in the making there.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Mon May 09, 2011 8:29 am

I think he always did, Nore, as their battles in 2009 proved.

But Nole got sick last year in Belgrade, missed Madrid and didn't play well in RG. And of course, was nothing like he is now.

Something hasn't clicked yet for Rafa in this clay court season. He'll have a couple of great matches, and then something will tip him back. I hope as Haddie says, that Team Nadal are looking at it as we speak.
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next