The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hennessy stable

+5
Lumbering_Jack
All Time Great
hazharrison
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
sittingringside
9 posters

Go down

The Hennessy stable Empty The Hennessy stable

Post by sittingringside Fri 14 Jun 2013, 1:59 pm

Mick Hennessy comes in for a fair bit of stick for his promotions on these boards, much of it warranted.
I have never been to a Hennessy event, but the general feeling seems to be that they are a rather shambolic affairs and lack the panache of the slicker promotions put on by the bigger players. However, despite the questions surrounding Hennessy's abilities as a negotiator, organiser and matchmaker, I must say that I have rather warmed towards his oddball stable of British fighters.

All of Hennessy's young charges, whilst possessing varying degrees of talent, have at least a couple of points of interest to them that makes following their careers a more compelling prospect. Degale has his Olympic gold medal and his smouldering rivalry with George Groves, Eubank Jr is a young fighter with a famous name, living in the shadow of his father, and the Fury's are colourful and controversial characters, both of whom seem intent on a smash and grab on the crumbling and discredited institution that is modern heavyweight boxing. Perhaps the pick of this bunch is young 'Kid Galahad', an Ingle fighter with a throwback name that has rich associations with both Elvis Presley and Humphrey Bogart. Whilst the fortunes of Galahad are difficult to predict, especially in the dangerous environs of the talent rich British super bantamweight scene, he is certainly worth watching. Comfortable leading with either foot, and with elements of the old school to his stance and style, Galahad might just prove a difficult opponent for Quigg or Frampton with his unconvential brand of wiry ring savvy. 

I would be interested to know other people's views on Hennessy, his stable, and how you see the fortunes of his boxers unfolding in either the near future or further down the line.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

The Hennessy stable Empty Re: The Hennessy stable

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 14 Jun 2013, 3:51 pm

I have no time for the stable at all.

Apart from Fury who is fun to watch in and out of the ring the rest of them are boring and deluded.

Kid Galahad thinks he's a clever lad, has fought nothing even close to a domestic opponent in the slightest and couldn't put a bum on a toilet never mind a seat at a venue. In his interviews he seems smug and talks as if he has achieved something.

Eubank Jr has the personallity of a brick.

And DeGale is talking about fighting Froch, Kessler etc when he is fighting on shows that barely shift 1000 tickets.

The only thing this stable has going for it is fighting on C5, and so far every show that hasn't involved Fury seems to have a tiny audience in attendance.

Hennessy is an awful promoter and I have witnessed his cards in the flesh and seen Fury's team handing out free tickets (how I got mine) around bars in the city. His stable cannot be earning much money. C5 arent renounded to be bank busters and without many paying punters at the gate I fail to see how these guys expect to make a living fighting under his banner. The only thing I can gather is Galahad, Eubank etc will jump ship in the next year or two once their name is a little well known.

But so far what I have seen with his stable is:

Fury: Unco-ordinated fumbling mess who is being put on his backside by non-punchers

DeGale: Getting hit too much and after almost every fight looks like he has been in a war as his face gets marked up easily.

Galahad: No power, but a little awkward. Frampton and Quigg walk through his punches and turn his lights out.

Eubank Jr: Has struggled with nearly every opponent he has faced so far with the commentators still trying to play the "he's being matched tough" card. Seriously, look at the guys he is fighting on Boxrec, their records are brutal.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 14 Jun 2013, 3:52 pm

I'm a big fan of Galahad. He may well be facing Jazza Dickens in September which would be an excellent fight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Fri 14 Jun 2013, 4:39 pm

I enjoyed that reply Reborn, funny story with regards to how you got your ticket, think I remember seeing it on another thread. With regards to your opinions on the fighters, I think they're all basically valid, although I would disagree with your assessment of Galahad. Most of the flaws that you mentioned are there for all to see, my point is that it is the intangible factors that give the stable a little extra interest. Fighting on Channel 5 also helps of course.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri 14 Jun 2013, 10:44 pm

I actually like his stable of fighters. Quite a good mix in terms of British talent and tbh, I think in their own right are all interesting enough characters.

I like diversity and think Hennersy's stable is good for boxing and it's pleasing to see C5 support his shows.

If one of these fighters can hit the big time whilst being under Hennersy's banner (Fury the most likely ATM) then he has a chance of hitting the big time. 

He's obviously invested heavily in this lot, it's a gamble which could pay off.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:04 pm

I don't think his fighters are that bad, it's just that they are so loathsome as a group, and mick is a sweaty pig.

Worst of the lot personality wise has to be Degale. I think you'd have a more enjoyable conversation with a dead rat.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm

Sittingringside:

Don't get me wrong I do think Galahad has talent but at a European and world level I just think he lacks that extra bit of va va vomph to deal with top operators at the weight. The big issue that stands out is he seems to think he's earned the right to be considered in Frampton or Quiggs league. Considering the latter 2 have fought and beat some decent enough names, they have both earned their strips so far. Galahad has fought nobody worth getting out of bed for and is nowhere near even being thought about let alone put in the same sentence as Frampton or Quigg. The blame is smack bang with Hennessy. He just doesn't seem to have the resources to entice a quality opponent to make his fighters shine. So instead of investing his money in making big fights, he just seems to be stalling his stables progression by matching them against the worst opponents he can get. Maybe it's down to not being able to afford to pay a decent amount of money for opponents so he picks up euro bargains and any money made goes to him and the fighter. His reaction when his fighters call out big names speaks volumes and unless they are ACTUALLY matched tough (not Eubank Jr type tough opponents) then they are gonna fall at the next hurdle when they eventually do step up.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:29 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:I don't think his fighters are that bad, it's just that they are so loathsome as a group, and mick is a sweaty pig.

Worst of the lot personality wise has to be Degale. I think you'd have a more enjoyable conversation with a dead rat.

-----------------------------------

a refreshing fence sitting pc reply as usual jack! You do have a point though. Mick is not the most physically appealing character, and de gale's heady mix of misplaced arrogance, gormless persona and rank stupidity are not the most endearing of personality traits. 

Are they planning on sorting out this quote function or if its user error offering a tutorial on how to use it?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:54 am

milkyboy wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:I don't think his fighters are that bad, it's just that they are so loathsome as a group, and mick is a sweaty pig.

a refreshing fence sitting pc reply as usual jack! You do have a point though. Mick is not the most physically appealing character, and de gale's heady mix of misplaced arrogance, gormless persona and rank stupidity are not the most endearing of personality traits. 

Are they planning on sorting out this quote function or if its user error offering a tutorial on how to use it?

press the sheet of paper top right next to smileys

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 15 Jun 2013, 9:33 am

seanmichaels wrote:
milkyboy wrote:

press the sheet of paper top right next to smileys

Cheers!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sat 15 Jun 2013, 3:42 pm

I've always thought Degale would do better with an American trainer, they seem more adept at bringing along fighters with his style, and the talent is there.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:32 pm

I agree, Sittingringside. James Degale needs a trainer who can bring him along because I haven't seen much from him of late.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:35 pm

His trainer at the minute is just a yes man. Comes out with blinders like "Degale is a once in a generation fighter" etc...

All that does is feed his already big ego.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 15 Jun 2013, 4:57 pm

degale has the single SD (i think) loss and other than that i beleive there a unbeaten bunch, so i don't want to be too critical. mick has done a mixed job on these guys, some fighters are been given more attension than others in the stable.

tyson fury: micks star fighter who always entertained, chisora, firtha, johnson and cunningham were all good fights obtained by mick, and the haye showdown will probably make fury millions, as well as huge  exposure on ch5, which he has managed to keep so far despite fury insulting almost everybody.

hughie fury: fought on a major US card already, and he is so green i would expect him to be fighting journeymen as he is, so another good job by mick.

degale: an ex Olympic champion at degales stage of career should be looking towards world title fights, but degale has been given tomato can after tomato can, maybe its because he has struggled against them, but he doesn't appear to be changing his style anytime soon so i really wonder what mick is waiting for with this guy, he needs a glen johnson or someone similar to gain more exposure.

kid galahad: probably the worst managed fighter of them all, out of his opposition i had only heard of jason booth, who is on a 5 fight losing streak and seems to not have much left. the kid looks good and needs a stiff test.

eubank jr: this guy was matched relativley tough earlier on, in his first 2-3 fights and he was fighting all the time, since then he has gone off the radar and stalled, despite been easily marketable and undefeated. eubank himself is always close to camera so if he keeps winning im sure people will get behind him.

mixed promoting from big mick, but the terrestial coverage means at least peope see them, unlike fighters held back on other channels (like boxnation) that the general public don't have/want access too.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down