The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manuel Pellegrini named Manchester City manager

+3
Duty281
NickisBHAFC
Crimey
7 posters

Go down

Manuel Pellegrini named Manchester City manager Empty Manuel Pellegrini named Manchester City manager

Post by Crimey Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:24 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22909811

Who'd have seen this coming?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Manuel Pellegrini named Manchester City manager Empty Re: Manuel Pellegrini named Manchester City manager

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:37 am

Im not sure he will do better than Mancini tbh. I still firmly believe that City made the wrong decision to sack him. However i hope to be proved wrong, he worked wonders with Malaga last season. But i hope City look at him for the long term.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Manuel Pellegrini named Manchester City manager Empty Re: Manuel Pellegrini named Manchester City manager

Post by Crimey Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:39 am

I think the key for Pellegrini's success lies in Europe, I think he can afford not to win the league next year as long as City do well in Europe, that was Mancini's key failing. Pellegrini got Malaga within seconds of the Champions League semi-finals last year so he's a good appointment I think.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 14 Jun 2013, 11:39 am

'Cor I thought it would have been the gallant saviour of English football; Lord 'Arry Redknapp of London, squire of our fair land.

In all seriousness, good luck to Pellegrini, but he'll need to hit the ground running.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm

News is about two months old. 

Pelligrini will do well, City had a shocker last year and will be rejuvenated and hungry for success. Key is in Europe where Mancini had a nightmare. No guarantee of progressing to second stage though, I'm sure all eyes will be on the group stage draw. For me, still need a striker.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 14 Jun 2013, 12:39 pm

John wrote:News is about two months old. 

Pelligrini will do well, City had a shocker last year and will be rejuvenated and hungry for success. Key is in Europe where Mancini had a nightmare. No guarantee of progressing to second stage though, I'm sure all eyes will be on the group stage draw. For me, still need a striker.......

Really? I think Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko, Guidetti is more than enough for strikers. City for me need a defensive midfielder, still some more width and probably a centre back or two as well.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 14 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

Quality manager, has pedigree in Europe Mancini could only dream of. Best appointment of the big 3 imo.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 14 Jun 2013, 12:45 pm

Dzeko will be gone. Tevez likely to follow
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 14 Jun 2013, 12:49 pm

GSC wrote:Dzeko will be gone. Tevez likely to follow

They haven't yet though, so I don't think it's fair to say they "need" a striker, certainly not until they've got one or two off of the wage bill.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 14 Jun 2013, 1:58 pm

He's there as a coach only, isn't he?  Bergstrain (or whatever) is running things behind the scenes now and buying players so, in a way, Pellegrini's job is slightly easier because "all" he has to do is take care of the team and not worry about transfers and such.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jun 2013, 2:25 pm

What would constitute doing well in Europe though? A last 8? A semi? 

Be interesting to see how well City fare in both the CL and the PL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Fri 14 Jun 2013, 2:53 pm

Heres an interview with Manchester City TV that Manuel Pellegrini has done if anyone wants to watch it Smile

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jun 2013, 3:06 pm

I actually agree they need another holding midfielder Crimey. I still think they need a striker also and so do they, seeing as they are in pursuit of Cavani. Carlos Tevez' loyalty is unknown and his contract is up next season, a deal taking him back to South America could be an option. Another is Dzeko, who apparently wants a move to AC Milan.

Barry, Garcia, Yaya Toure & Fernandinho......the latter two are offensively great and natural box-to-box players, the first two are woefully poor and limited for City's standard and quality. A tackling, holding midfield general is required in the mould of De Rossi to replace Barry/Garcia but a move for him is unlikely as Mancini found out.

As for success in Europe, it's important they get through the group stage and have another Top 2 EPL finish. They need to get that seeding up for future years, preventing them from facing difficult Champions League groups. I think Pellegrini will be happy with achieving the second round but I think 'behind closed doors' they will set a target of a Quarter-Final. I mean the owners are well into this project now and have spent heavily, they need to see some kind of reward on the european stage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 14 Jun 2013, 6:17 pm

I think Mancini's time had come really. This season they've regressed, not progressed, and really they looked to grind out results, when with the talent they have, they should be obliterating most teams in the Prem
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jun 2013, 6:27 pm

Bar Joe Hart are City going to field a regular English player this coming season? 

I genuinely believe that you need a sprinkling of homegrown players to win a title. History backs this up. 

Can't see City finishing higher than 3rd myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:15 am

Hart (starter)

Milner (rotated, more sub than starter)
Barry (leaving, most probably)
Lescott (leaving, most probably)
Sinclair (leaving, most probably)
Rodwell (Now behind Fernandinho/Yaya Toure, will be mainly sub role + injury history)
Richards (Entirely upto Pellegrini's wants, might like him, might not. Zabaleta is the clear right back & worked with Manuel before. If City buy another centre back to go with Nastasic/Kompany then Micah's time maybe limited.

Oh dear and sums up basically the problem with English football. If Isco is on his way, as reported, then this creates further problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down