The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When can you play players our of position?

+5
Metal Tiger
Rory_Gallagher
disneychilly
flyhalffactory
Alex_Germany
9 posters

Go down

When can you play players our of position? Empty When can you play players our of position?

Post by Alex_Germany Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:00 pm

This could be in the general section - the question applies to your local team as well - but I think the examples will mostly be at internationsl level.

Hopefully Stuart Lancaster has learnt that just because you have a great player - e.g. Wood or Brown, it doesn't mean you can play them out of position. Wales taught him that lesson - both Cuthbery tries being on Brown's "wing".

Other examples:
- Was it Monye a few years back at fullback. Superb winger - couldn't play FB.
- Jonny Wilkinson played Inside Centre for the Lions in 2005. It didn't really work.
- Italy played a flanker, Bergamasco, at scrum half. It was a disaster.

Yet Saracens shuffle Hodgeson, Farrell and Barritt around as if 10,12 and 13 are interchangeable. I don't think they are. Though O'Driscoll can play 12 and 13.

Then you've got players with experience in more than 1 position. I'd rather Foden play scrumhalf than wing.

How does it work it your level? (I asked a long time ago to switch from back row to wing - some thought I was mad, but it turned out to be a good move).

I think the left/right wing difference is overplayed. Also the open side / blind side is more a matter of having 2 distinct playing styles. At scrum time does it make much difference?

Any examples at international level where a player has performed really well out of position? And has any quality player had a nightmare playing out of position worse than Bergamasco at scrumhalf?

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

When can you play players our of position? Empty Re: When can you play players our of position?

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:32 pm

James Hook has played almost every position for Wales.......... its when he came on as Water Boy his career started to sink
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

When can you play players our of position? Empty Re: When can you play players our of position?

Post by disneychilly Sat 15 Jun 2013, 10:09 pm

Never play someone out of position at 13 for NZ in a World Cup. Think three tournaments in a row established that.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 15 Jun 2013, 10:14 pm

If a player shows the skills required in another position, or if they have a skill set that might actually be better utilised in another position, they should be given a chance.. For example, I reckon Simon Zebo would make a cracking fullback and he has looked very comfortable there for Ireland. Fantastic positioning, huge boot, extremely solid under the high ball and so dangerous with a bit of space. I hope he gets more chances at 15 in the future.

An example of a player who should not have been moved would be Tom Wood over the 6 nations. In my opinion Ben Morgan was highly missed and an 8 should be the first port of call when you need a player to create a bit of momentum with go forward ball. Tom Wood is not that sort of player.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 10:46 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:If a player shows the skills required in another position, or if they have a skill set that might actually be better utilised in another position, they should be given a chance..  For example, I reckon Simon Zebo would make a cracking fullback and he has looked very comfortable there for Ireland.  Fantastic positioning, huge boot, extremely solid under the high ball and so dangerous with a bit of space.  I hope he gets more chances at 15 in the future.

An example of a player who should not have been moved would be Tom Wood over the 6 nations.  In my opinion Ben Morgan was highly missed and an 8 should be the first port of call when you need a player to create a bit of momentum with go forward ball.  Tom Wood is not that sort of player.

+1

As good as Wood is he is not a No.8 and it showed against Wales. Ben Morgan was a massive loss for us in the last games of the 6Ns and our performances went downhill. I don't think that was coincidence. Apologies for wandering slightly off topic.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sat 15 Jun 2013, 11:13 pm

If you are Stuart Lancaster the answer is in a grand slam decider!

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Sat 15 Jun 2013, 11:21 pm

In the RWC at 8th man if you are SA

95: Andrews moved from lock to 8th man for the final
07: Danie plays tournament at 8th after Spies is forced to pull out

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:32 am

Richard Kahui was moved to wing for NZ a few times and has done fine out of it.
Corey Jane was moved to wing for NZ and has starred in that position.
Jonah Lomu was....
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun 16 Jun 2013, 11:00 am

Am i wrong in thinking Mike Phillips played center in the 3rd test vs SA in the last Lions series?

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down