The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sad to say that John Hughes has passed away.

4 posters

Go down

Sad to say that John Hughes has passed away.  Empty Sad to say that John Hughes has passed away.

Post by maestegmafia Fri 21 Jun 2013, 11:33 am

John Hughes is the Grogg man of Pontypridd, he had been battling illness for a good few years and sadly passed aged 79, but the Legacy of the Groggs will live long into the future.

His shop became a must stop for any touring rugby fan and a great gift to take home to whichever shore they called home. Many people, myself included sent Groggs to the friends we made through rugby throughout the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22967609

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Sad to say that John Hughes has passed away.  Empty Re: Sad to say that John Hughes has passed away.

Post by RubyGuby Fri 21 Jun 2013, 12:07 pm

Legend and will be forever remembered thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Sad to say that John Hughes has passed away.  Empty Re: Sad to say that John Hughes has passed away.

Post by maestegmafia Fri 21 Jun 2013, 12:18 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Legend and will be forever remembered thumbsup

Aye lovely guy and a great part of rugby culture spread around the world from the heart of the valleys.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 21 Jun 2013, 12:42 pm

Synonomous with the 70's but his concept has lasted forever - Great stuff thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Fri 21 Jun 2013, 1:01 pm

Look out for  Eddie Butler's  programme on Pontypridd, Welsh Towns, features John Hughes son and Groggs.

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Fri 21 Jun 2013, 1:02 pm

On i player

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 21 Jun 2013, 2:13 pm

Oh cheers Norfolklass I hadn't seen that.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 21 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm

Sad news indeed, but no doubt the Grogg shop will continue as it must.
It will of course as it's synonymous with Ponty RFC and Welsh rugby. Reminds me of the Gren cartoons actually.
Been in the shop a few times. Never saw a Cardiff Grogg mind ewe.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 21 Jun 2013, 6:53 pm

Norfolklass wrote:Look out for  Eddie Butler's  programme on Pontypridd, Welsh Towns, features John Hughes son and Groggs.

Good viewing and it was great to hear that they choose to stay put in Ponty even though they could make more money if they shifted to bigger premises.
I particularly liked this painting shown in the programme - "The Bridge of Beauty" by Julius Caesar Ibbetson c1790. I could be wrong, but I reckon it's a view looking NE and today's Sardis Road is somewhere on the left;
Sad to say that John Hughes has passed away.  Sw_pidd_fpr174_624x544

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Jun 2013, 8:32 am

Dave when I was a kid growing up in the Cape I always imagined what Wales would have looked like before the industry came.

It is wonderful that there are still some records. Now that the forestry have let the trees grow back on our side of the Bwlch you get a better idea.

Much harder to imagine sprawling metropolises like the Rhondda as untouched.

I was at Sardis Rd with some friends from Blaengwynfi once and one said that the William Edwards bridge in Ponty was once the longest stone bridge in the world.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down