The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adam Hughes

+5
Biltong
ScarletSpiderman
RuckingFlanker86
munkian
welsh-matfield
9 posters

Go down

Adam Hughes Empty Adam Hughes

Post by welsh-matfield Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:11 pm

The young Dragons centre had an impressive first season of regional rugby, notching up a handfull of tries and catching a few eyes down at rodney Parade. Doe anyone think the boy can go on to win international honours down the line?

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Adam Hughes Empty Re: Adam Hughes

Post by Guest Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:16 pm

He needs to stay in a position first. He wants to play centre, so that's not going to do him any favours really. If I were him, I'd stay wing. I would certainly have him in an A team squad, if the rumours of that coming back are true.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:56 pm

He came on leaps and bounds last season, a real find.

I think if he can up his physicality he should walk into a Welsh A team and then hopefully upwards
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Thu 11 Aug 2011, 7:59 pm

Definately an option for the A team but more likely to be on the wing. At 6ft and almost 16 stone he isnt exactly small but is that big enough for an international centre these days?

Lewis Evans is another one I'd tip for future honours.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:16 am

Risca - You don't need to play in a position at a club/region to play there internationally for Wales, so Hughes can stay on the wing and be out starting outside centre internationally (or vice versa).

Personally I think the lad has been one of the better wingers in wales this season. I would like so see what he does next season. ANd I would also agree with Lewis Evans being a name for the future (but hte back row is full of young options now).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:22 am

Welsh-Matfield, are you a tall lad, or do you just like the man, Victorius Matfieldus.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:27 am

It's probably too early to say. Adam Hughes has looked good every time I've seen him play, but let's see how he goes this coming season. I wouldn't be concerned about his size - he doesn't hold anything back, and he could teach some of our internationals a thing or two about not slowing down before going in to contact!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:38 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:It's probably too early to say. Adam Hughes has looked good every time I've seen him play, but let's see how he goes this coming season. I wouldn't be concerned about his size - he doesn't hold anything back, and he could teach some of our internationals a thing or two about not slowing down before going in to contact!

Comepletely agree, if he can crash into tacklers without breaking pace why the hell can't the 6'4 Jamie Roberts etc ! ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:05 am

and he could teach some of our internationals a thing or two about not slowing down before going in to contact!
OK

I personally would like him to stay at 13. I think in Wales we are getting too accustomed to this utility back scenario. Look what's happened now to our international team, we are playing a lot of players out of position. In terms of Hughes' size, he's actually taller and heavier than Brian O'Driscol and no-one would call him in-effective. If he has the skills, and determination he should be given a try. I'm hoping for a big season from Adam. Was he injured last season? recovering now?
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:20 am

I saw him at the Men of Gwent 7s and he looked ok - wasnt limping, strapped up etc OK

Anyone else going to Dragons V Russia game ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

I'll be going to the Russia game munk.
I believe Adam Hughes (dragons player of the season) i's a 13. Simple as that. He's a whole hearted player, but I'm not sure he has the pace to play on the wing at test match ldvel.
He said himself that he surpassed his hopes, by becoming a regular. Hopefully when Martyn Thomas returns, harries and brew willbe on the wing and Adam can play outside Ashley smith. Please, anyone other than Riley!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

I'll be there too. I should get a ticket free, but because I'm paying for my season ticket in installments and the last payment hasn't been made yet I don't know if I will.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:36 am

manofgwent wrote:I'll be going to the Russia game munk.
I believe Adam Hughes (dragons player of the season) i's a 13. Simple as that. He's a whole hearted player, but I'm not sure he has the pace to play on the wing at test match ldvel.
He said himself that he surpassed his hopes, by becoming a regular. Hopefully when Martyn Thomas returns, harries and brew willbe on the wing and Adam can play outside Ashley smith. Please, anyone other than Riley!

Do you know which stands will be open ? I'll guess I'll pick according to the weather

Our backline is cracking when all fit thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

I'll be there too. I should get a ticket free, but because I'm paying for my season ticket in installments and the last payment hasn't been made yet I don't know if I will.

They should let you have the ticket for free if you have your name down for a ST. Be very harsh if they didn't.

I'm looking forward to this match, will be nice to see the new stand coming along and get a look at a team we never see much of. (bears of course...Wink)
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 12 Aug 2011, 11:52 am

Dragons backline is taking shape and with a decent set of forwards developing I think they will move up a notch or 2 in the coming season. Hughes is a great prospect IMO has power and creativity, we seem to have players with one or the other at the moment such as Jamie or Hook thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:19 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:I'll be there too. I should get a ticket free, but because I'm paying for my season ticket in installments and the last payment hasn't been made yet I don't know if I will.

I'm going.

Lucky, pop down the ticket office and they'll give you a ticket. I'd do it asap though. I've only had two installments out (at the time I got both my friendly tickets, there was only one payment gone). They will know you've ordered one.

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

They'll just ask for your details. But if you've ordered you season ticket. It's free.
Not sure on the new stand being open. It wasn't for the 7's. I would imagine they'd want it open. Just to see how everything goes.
It is looking pretty awesome over there.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 12 Aug 2011, 12:56 pm

They were still putting the new seats in the Bisley stand.

I was in the bit that used to be the Family stand but obviously may not be an option if it chucks it down
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

Thanks folks, I'll pop down tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to seeing for myself how things are shaping up.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 12 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

The pitch has been moved towards the old club house too. I tend to stand on the 22 towards the changing rooms, but now if I stayed there, I'd be half way inside the 22, so there will be more people standing without shelter on the hazell side. It is a bit strange, but not sure what they can do.
Maybe we're looking to make a killing on umbrella's!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 12 Aug 2011, 3:01 pm

During the 7s everyone on the old family stand raced under the terrace shelter (including some players watching!) during the down pour Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Fri 12 Aug 2011, 5:26 pm

An L shaped roof that covers the uncovered end of the Hazell and new terrace would be good.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down