The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales squad for Baa Baas

+3
glamorganalun
ML
GavinDragon
7 posters

Go down

Wales squad for Baa Baas Empty Wales squad for Baa Baas

Post by GavinDragon Mon 09 May 2011, 4:13 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/05/09/gavin-henson-selected-in-wales-squad-to-face-barbarians-91466-28662748/

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Wales squad for Baa Baas Empty Re: Wales squad for Baa Baas

Post by ML Mon 09 May 2011, 4:46 pm

Wales Squad
Paul JAMES (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,021)
John YAPP (CARDIFF BLUES – Cap No 1,031)
Ryan BEVINGTON (OSPREYS)
Scott ANDREWS (CARDIFF BLUES)
Huw BENNETT (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,017)
Richard HIBBARD (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,048)
Lloyd BURNS (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS – Uncapped)
Alun Wyn JONES (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,046)
Ryan JONES (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,029)
Luke CHARTERIS (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS – Cap No 1,030)
Lou REED (SCARLETS – Uncapped)
Dan LYDIATE (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS – Cap No 1,071)
Toby FALETAU (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS - Uncapped)
Josh TURNBULL (SCARLETS – Cap No 1,079)
Sam WARBURTON (CARDIFF BLUES, CAPTAIN – Cap No 1,070)
Mike PHILLIPS (OSPREYS – Cap No 1,022)
Tavis KNOYLE (SCARLETS – Cap No 1,076)
Stephen JONES (SCARLETS – Cap No 966)
Rhys PRIESTLAND (SCARLETS – Cap No 1,080)
Gavin HENSON (TOULON – Cap No 990)
Scott WILLIAMS (SCARLETS – Uncapped)
Jonathan DAVIES (SCARLETS – Cap No 1,066)
Shane WILLIAMS (OSPREYS – Cap No 976)
Aled BREW (NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS)
George NORTH (SCARLETS)
Morgan STODDART (SCARLETS)

An interesting Squad, but there are too many new faces for one squad. They cant all get game time, unless Gatland intends to field a "B" XV and accept a probable loss against the BaaBaas for the sake of looking at new faces. I dont think he intends to do that, or he would have rested MP too.

I like some of the potential combinations - Faletau, Lydiate and Warburton; Ryan Jones & AWJ; two BIG wingers with pace in Brew and North., but I am puzzled as to why he brings Henson in to a game where he has left out Jamie Roberts. That is the centre combination that everyone wants to see, fans, journalists and experts alike. Does this point to Gatland treating all the warm up games as experimental? Surely the 6N or the Autumn Internationals that preceeded them were the time to be looking at new faces?

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 09 May 2011, 4:52 pm

i think this is very much an experimental squad, with some bigger players getting rested where younger players have performed well

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Mon 09 May 2011, 4:55 pm

Doh

We must be the ONLY country with no idea what our World Cup squad should be this late in the day!

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 4:58 pm

Is Jamie Roberts not carrying an injury? Or at the very least he's being rested.

With a lot of the new faces being called up, I'm not expecting them to get much game time, but it'll be a great experience for them to be involved in the squad, and will give Gats a chance to look at them in a different environment.

Apart from a few glaring mistakes (Bennett, Yapp, Andrews etc) I am actually pretty pleased with this squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 09 May 2011, 4:59 pm

i think were pretty much set the lions front row to come back in as well as brad davies hook halfpenny and roberts, other than that places in the squad and team still up for grabs

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 09 May 2011, 5:13 pm

Is Matthew Rees injured as Warburtton is captain?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 09 May 2011, 5:13 pm

im assuming hes being rested as the likes of jones roberts half[enny and co are

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 09 May 2011, 5:33 pm

He did get smashed up on Friday night, I thought all the "rested" players were injured except Hook. Good planning by Hook, he will save a bit with all his team mates not going to the Wedding!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 5:48 pm

Ha very true about Hook glamorganalun!

Rees isn't injured but he's definitely being rested. His body has really been put on the line already this season so he's definitely due a break.

Great honour for Warbs to get the captaincy in his place, hope he's fully fit though as he appeared to be struggling at times against the Scarlets!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 09 May 2011, 6:10 pm

It's a very interesting squad they have selected. Certainly a few of these have been selected on form. Though I think it's an error to make this game a proper cap international. If we'd kept it non cap we could of called up Ben Morgan and played him!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 09 May 2011, 6:31 pm

I would have liked to see Robinson at 10 or Tovey, we all know what S Jones can and can't do. I am not sure what is happening with Ian Evans as he is our best line out option and is a good replacement for Brad Davies but he has not played the last couple of games (hardly suprising with the Ospreys team selection). I also thought I Thomas could have been called up as he had a great game again for the Scarlets.

Good to see more Dragons in the squad but the most gifted is not there (see above).

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 09 May 2011, 6:34 pm

Alyn,

Agree, I was thinking the same myself, only problem is, why give game time and visiblity to M Johnson to benefit!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 10 May 2011, 5:44 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/13347400.stm

Anyone agree with Michael Owen?

I think he is talking rot. You need to see what people can do and this is a great opportunity to see if Henson still has it. He has had a stuttering comeback so far but shown flashes that he still has a world class game. Is Owen really suggesting that there is another centre that can do what the Henson of old could? They are turning to Henson because there is a void there.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Tue 10 May 2011, 5:54 pm

I do Redrage. International teams are not proving grounds they are for the best performing players from that country. To my mind players should be picked on current form, obviously your past performances will have a bearing - but Henson has played so little rugby in the last couple of years that I can't see how his selection can be justified.

If he had stayed at one club and put in some good performances (and kept his nose clean) then yes I'd agree, but he has hardly done that. What sort of example does it set to naturally gifted youngsters? Don't worry about hard work or even playing the game, as long as you have talent there will always be a space for you with Wales!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 10 May 2011, 6:20 pm

Well I think you are being overly critical of the player and the coaching staff. he must have worked hard enough to gain a start at Toulon and do so well on his debut and he deserves credit for that. He has had a couple of niggles and a off the field spat but the club still want him so there must be something there. Furthermore, it's a game against the Barbarians, it is a tune up game and precisely the correct time to be testing your options IMO. You'll know after that game if he is worthy of being involved in the rest of the warm up games. If he isn't the debate will be over and no more time needs to be invested on him prior to the WC.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed 11 May 2011, 3:18 pm

Glad to see Warburton as skipper, I don't see Rees as vocal enough really.

Will be there to watch so part of me wants to see Henson play out of curiosity, he will also put bums in seats too.

Ian Evans has really struggled with fitness this season. Can only seem to last 20mins a pop and has been neglecting tackles which is a worry, may have lost a bit of confidence in his frame.

However Ryan and AWJ have been playing very well of late so they would be my second row choices.

Looking forward to what should be an entertaining game!

Loki

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down