The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v Baa Baas Poor Ticket Sales

+15
Glas a du
ML
doctornickolas
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Cymroglan
Notch
Cari
Breadvan
Coleman
manofgwent
mckay1402
Scarpia
red_stag
greybeard
Londonwelsh
19 posters

Go down

Wales v Baa Baas Poor Ticket Sales Empty Wales v Baa Baas Poor Ticket Sales

Post by Londonwelsh Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:28 pm

Apparently the WRU have only sold 30,000 tickets so far for tomorrow's game with the Baa Baa's. Are we really surprised by this though ? The words "Money" and "Spinner" spring to mind. Is anyone on here going to this tomorrow ? Anyone wanting to go can buy tickets on the day and dont worry folks there's plenty of them Very Happy

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/06/03/barbarians-clash-caps-match-too-far-for-wales-91466-28812941/
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Wales v Baa Baas Poor Ticket Sales Empty Re: Wales v Baa Baas Poor Ticket Sales

Post by greybeard Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:33 pm

I'm afraid to say but I think the Barbarians are over exposed as a brand in todays rugby market. You can have too much of a good thing.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:37 pm

greybeard wrote:I'm afraid to say but I think the Barbarians are over exposed as a brand in todays rugby market. You can have too much of a good thing.

Yup indeed. Better off playing this in Parc y Scarlets.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:41 pm

greybeard wrote:I'm afraid to say but I think the Barbarians are over exposed as a brand in todays rugby market. You can have too much of a good thing.

Perhaps but do you think that high ticket prices and the fact that people are a bit fed up after such a poor season for Welsh rugby in general would play a bigger part for the low turnout ?
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:44 pm

Absolutely about the poor season, but you could make it free entry and it still wouldn't sell out. The barbarian team as a whole just doesn't have the same attraction these days, mores the pity.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:57 pm

1. There's a recession on
2. It's not a test match (even though the WRU are handing out caps - but we're not stupid)
3. It was always going to be an experimental Wales team
4. The Barbarians are a meaningless brand in this day and age with too many foreign players being used
5. The possible inclusion of Gavin Henson (now of course a fact) has possibly sold 5-10 thousand tickets to his supporters but probably kept away 20,000 + people who are either his detractors or totally disagree with his inclusion

Last edited by Scarpia on Fri 03 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:10 pm

I think the WRU thought Henson's inclusion would somehow spark a sudden surge in ticket sales. I just think if the ticket prices were more reasonable and there was less of media circus surrounding Henson there would be a lot more than just 30,000. Tomorrow is a perfect day to watch Rugby but people are not going to shell out that much money especially after the dismal season Welsh Rugby has had. The WRU are pricing the low income Rugby fan out of the ground. I dont agree with the comment that if the match had been free the game would still not have sold out. Us Welsh love a bargain or anything that's free Very Happy
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:29 pm

I think it has a lot to do with the names playing for the barbarians as well. It used to be the top players in the world and now it's any old player who isn't doing anything at the time. also agree with above about high pricing and poor season
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 03 Jun 2011, 6:42 pm

I'm not going. Heading to the pub instead. I know a few who are paying £40, but I won't pay it on the principle that it's too much for this game.
I went to the S. Africa game last autumn and for the England match in the 6n, but I think the WRU just take advantage of the fans.
I liken it to the premier league. The majority of people that I've seen at internationals are on a works freebie and haven't got the foggiest what's happening and would probably only recognise Gav and Shane. The only knowledgable fans I've met at the millennium stadium tend to be the opposition fans as they are genuine.
I for one was glad to see the Australia and S. Africa games not sell out, because it goes to show that the fans will not be walked over. The WRU aren't interested in who watches them I.e. Corporate and couldn't give a toss about the wirking man and the next generation.
Just take a
Look at the new welsh jersey. Less than a year since the last one came out and they wNt a staggering £90 for the tight fitting replica. England charge the same, but we're not England!!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

I wouldn't be going, but I know I'll probably not see five Dragons in a Welsh squad for a while again. Was going to wear a Toby Afro, but it's just a bit hot. After the dross they served up in the Ireland game I was pretty adamant I wouldn't go again, but this is a rare treat seeing how Tobv gets on and I'm pretty chuffed to witness Stephen Jones get his 100 caps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

I wanted to go and take a few adult members of my family with me. But with the option of £32.40 or 43.20 i believe it was, its way to much. Why cant they just have tickets at £15/20. They'd still be making good money off of that kind of pricing.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:37 pm

Coleman wrote: Why cant they just have tickets at £15/20

My thoughts exactly. Then you get a near full stadium, better atmosphere, and the WRU still make a tidy profit. Doh
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 03 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

To expensive..again! Yet the WRU continue to push cliche ridden and tacky ads for these games. People are fed up with paying £40 for games when you can spend half of that watching it with beers in the local. As posted before, why prices couldn't be £5 kids and £10-15 for adults I don't know. censored
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:01 pm

The ticket prices are extortionate. They might get one or two stragglers in tomorrow if the weather stays nice and the touts are about Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 03 Jun 2011, 9:51 pm

Well, the next time the Barbarians come to Ireland I'm going! (If it's in Belfast or Dublin, not Cork or Limerick).

They have not been here for a long while.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonwelsh Fri 03 Jun 2011, 10:08 pm

Notch wrote:Well, the next time the Barbarians come to Ireland I'm going! (If it's in Belfast or Dublin, not Cork or Limerick).

Ireland played the Baa Baas this time last year. It's not that long ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8723529.stm
Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 04 Jun 2011, 8:18 pm

Att: 31,232 not bad considering the ticket prices.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:34 pm

Am I the only one amazed at people calling £30 and £40 for a test match "extortionate"?

Sounded like a very good game and well worth the admission price.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:43 pm

Stag - it was an okay game, 2nd half much better then the 1st. And considering there was not a lot riding on this match, I would have thought anything between £15-£25 would have been reasonable.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Stag - it was an okay game, 2nd half much better then the 1st. And considering there was not a lot riding on this match, I would have thought anything between £15-£25 would have been reasonable.

The price charged was reasonable. They were cheaper than 6 Nations tickets and whats more the Welsh were treating this seriously handing out full caps. This was a test match.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 05 Jun 2011, 4:54 pm

And tickets to the Crusaders vs Sharks at Twickenham went for £35-£55 - sign of the times?

(Note neither game sold out Whistle )
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Sun 05 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

Weren't two new caps awarded by Wales? Seeing as they don't have an 'A' team they'd have to award full caps where they can just to make sure they lock players in.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Sun 05 Jun 2011, 5:22 pm

There were 5 new caps altogether, 2 starters and 3 off the bench.

Despite offering caps though this is not a test match. The Barbarians are a club side.

This end of season fixture is just something that the WRU have shoehorned in to a very long season as a money spinner. I think therefore they could thank the long suffering Welsh fans by actually making these games affordable for everyone who doesn't get to go to a 6 nations game or an Autumn game.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 05 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm

Is £40 not affordable. And weren't there tickets available for £32. I would say they are affordable especially if your not paying to go to a 6 Nations or Autumn Test.

If you offer test caps it is a test match. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:12 pm

Londonwelsh wrote:
Notch wrote:Well, the next time the Barbarians come to Ireland I'm going! (If it's in Belfast or Dublin, not Cork or Limerick).

Ireland played the Baa Baas this time last year. It's not that long ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8723529.stm

That was in Limerick! Come on.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:14 pm

Staggy - it depends who's buying the tickets. If an adult is buying one for themselves and doesn't drink much then I'd say £30/40 is reasonable, but if you want to take your other half and kid it all adds up to an expensive day out for families.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

Yes £40 is affordable but some of us would need to stay overnight so that £40 x 2 ticket plus all the other costs does not make it a cheap weekend.
They need to have more £15 tickets to try and encourage people that would not normally go to a rugby stadium that top tier could be filled with less expensive tickets.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:19 pm

Cari wrote:Staggy - it depends who's buying the tickets. If an adult is buying one for themselves and doesn't drink much then I'd say £30/40 is reasonable, but if you want to take your other half and kid it all adds up to an expensive day out for families.

But thats the same with anything. I went to the cinema yesterday and I could afford to pay. I couldn't afford it or I might have to save a bit if I was buying tickets for several people. The claims that it isn't affordable and extorionate and other exaggerated hyperboles are just over the top in my eyes.

If other costs like accomodation, alcohol, transport are expensive thats another story. But these are perfectly reasonable prices to charge to see a rugby game like this.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:23 pm

Staggy - when you're running your own home and have other responsibilities, these things have to be thought out; and given that the game was live on TV for free, some people wouldn't bother considering going. It's not an exaggerated excuse for some people, they really just can't manage it over other priorities.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:43 pm

Cari - my point isn't that people can't afford it. Obviously people have to prioritise and school uniforms or grocery bills may stand in the way. As I have said though that is the same with anything.

However the ticket prices are fair and certainly not extortionate. Tickets prices previously have been nearly double that price. Wales v Australia in the Autumn the tickets cost £70. This tickets are available much cheaper. To me that is fair enough.

I bet if the tickets were £25/£30 there would be people wanting them cheaper again. Give them an inch and they take a mile.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:55 pm

red_stag wrote:Cari - my point isn't that people can't afford it. Obviously people have to prioritise and school uniforms or grocery bills may stand in the way. As I have said though that is the same with anything.

However the ticket prices are fair and certainly not extortionate. Tickets prices previously have been nearly double that price. Wales v Australia in the Autumn the tickets cost £70. This tickets are available much cheaper. To me that is fair enough.

I bet if the tickets were £25/£30 there would be people wanting them cheaper again. Give them an inch and they take a mile.

The tickets Vs Australia were fairly priced so they sold out. The tickets for the BaBaas game were overpriced so they had a miserably small crowd for a Wales game.
Supply Vs Demand - it works, thats why it has been the basis of western economics for 250 years +

Very Happy

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 05 Jun 2011, 9:47 pm

If they would have played that game in Wrexham in front of 18k sell out (or however much the racecourse holds) it would have been claimed a roaring success. People would have worried about availability. Shortage of supply can generate demand. If you underprice tickets you risk devaluing the whole experience and attract even less of a crowd.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sun 05 Jun 2011, 10:14 pm

If it was affordable them why were there only 30,000 there.
Myself and a few mates would have gone if it was cheaper but instead we went to the pub.
The real welsh fans are the ones suffering. Ive been to 6 nations games and the people sat near me aren't the people who I see at regional games.
Its getting like football. The true fan is missing out.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sun 05 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm

Glas a du wrote:..............Shortage of supply can generate demand. If you underprice tickets you risk devaluing the whole experience and attract even less of a crowd.

Again, Supply Vs Demand - it works, thats why it has been the basis of western economics for 250 years +

At a certain price point Demand will exactly meet supply.

Very Happy

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 05 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm

manofgwent wrote: Ive been to 6 nations games .

I'll be you paid more than the WRU were charging for the Barbarians match.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 05 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm

red_stag wrote:
manofgwent wrote: Ive been to 6 nations games .

I'll be you paid more than the WRU were charging for the Barbarians match.

And that is to be expected that a six nations fixture would cost more than a international friendly. I have tickets for the England v Wales world cup warm up and my main concern is that after spending £150 on two tickets that one or both sides will select loads of fringe players.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:00 pm

Are you not more angry about the £150 it cost for two people see England v Wales than the £70 odd it would cost for 2 people to see Wales v Barbarians?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:05 pm

I thought the pricing was ok to be honest. The only thing cost wise that I'm not a fan of is certain pubs raising their beer prices by 30p plus for the day. But to be fair, I was still paying less than I expected to pay (I'd expect Cardiff to be at least £4 a pint)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:09 pm

I'm not angry at all but there should have been thousands more £15 seats made available for the less fortunate than maybe you and I at the end of the day it was just a friendly fixture.
I'm financially secure and can afford the luxury of going to watch many live games and that includes the world cup but for many even a £40 ticket would put a burden on their already stretched budget.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:17 pm

It is a friendly when Wales play the All Blacks too Whistle

To be honest I can't agree. Believe it or not for all my comments here I'm not all that financially secure I have to priorise what games to go to. But the WRU have reduced ticket prices for this fixture. I think they were fair.

I can perfectly understand people not going and choosing to watch it on TV. Thats a normal choice. But comments here are silly. One person called it "extortionate ticket prices". That is a nonsense thing to say. A money spinning exercise another person called it.

For the Amlin Cup final I had mates who couldn't make it. We tried to give away free tickets in the centre of Cardiff and people wouldn't take them. Is the rugby appetite in the Welsh captial waning.

To me £30-£40 is a very good price for what is on offer. Not affordable for everyone but very fair.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm

WRU had a big TV campaign advertising tickets at £15 when my son tried to buy one they were all sold out and that was weeks ago yet they continued to push these £15 tickets via the media.
The point is the stadium was half empty if they had made all that top tier £15 to £20 tickets and the best seats £30/£40 maybe there would have been far less empty seats.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:36 pm

Again if it was reasonable, why was it less than half full.
Against the springboks and wallabies last autumn it wasn't full either.
I think people will pay £70 for a 6N game but not £40 for a mickey mouse game!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:38 pm

Maybe my attitude is just different. Why is it a mickey mouse game? I would think this was a good game with a lot of good players on display.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sun 05 Jun 2011, 11:56 pm

A typical end of season game. Nice to see some fresh faces. The babas Didn't probably have as many stars as usual. Big question mark over whether caps should have been given and in all a pretty poor game. Not as the advertising boards in south Wales have been saying. The hottest ticket in 130 years!
I think these baba games have lost there magic.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:01 am

the barbarians are just not the attraction they once were,the game was never going to be anywhere near sold out,if the wru offered free tickets on the street it would only have put a few thousand more people in the ground,the six nations is a different beast,huge rivalry,passion etc, the twickers crowd was only 38000,the barbarians just don't have pulling power anymore,at least in england and wales.

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:53 am

I chose this game to take my 7 year old to the ML for the first time. The tickets were affordable and she had a fantastic time. But I have to say, there was zero atmosphere and it's sad that so few people want to support the national team in such aan historic fixture.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:57 am

No ticket should have been dearer than £30 with far more £15 ones available than there was.

I tried to get tickets on Friday and the only ones on offer still were £40. Surely it would have been better to reduce the prices.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:07 am

In my opinion, the ticket prices were very fair when you consider them to other matches.

That said, a bit of market research could have been done and the prices could have been adjusted to the interest in the game. Even though i feel the prices were reasonable they could be considered high for such a match. Dropping them a bit would have got more punters interested and would have created more in-ground turnover at the shops.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down