The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon - Day 1 OOP

+36
Haddie-nuff
TorturedGenius
laverfan
kemet
Johnyjeep
mthierry
barrystar
Henman Bill
Good Golly I'm Olly
Cogen
ALPanorak
Jahu
Silver
JuliusHMarx
Josiah Maiestas
TRuffin
_homogenised_
kingraf
spencerclarke
ChequeredJersey
Mad for Chelsea
NickisBHAFC
shivfan
CaledonianCraig
Dave.
banbrotam
time please
lydian
invisiblecoolers
MrInvisible
The Special Juan
ryan86
Duty281
Danny_1982
Cav
YvonneT
40 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Wimbledon - Day 1 OOP  - Page 8 Empty Wimbledon - Day 1 OOP

Post by YvonneT Sun 23 Jun 2013, 4:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Centre Court Matches (1pm start): 
Victor Hanescu v Roger Federer [3] 
Kristina Mladenovic v Maria Sharapova [3] 
Benjamin Becker v Andy Murray [2] 

Court 1 Matches (1pm start): 
Maria Joao Koehler v Victoria Azarenka [2] 
Rafael Nadal [5] v Steve Darcis 
Lleyton Hewitt v Stanislas Wawrinka [11] 

Full schedule:
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/index.html

Match of the day: Hewitt v Wawrinka
Both players come in with grass court form; Hewitt after reaching the semi final at Queens, Wawrinka after reaching the final in 's-Hertogenbosch.
Hewitt's run at Queens included some wins against quality players. The fact that Hewitt has had a week in Wimbledon already while Wawrinka will only just arrive may work in Hewitt's favour, however Wawrinka has played well at both slams this year, and I don't expect Hewitt to stop him here.
Prediction: Wawrinka in 4.       

Other matches of note:
Baghdatis v Cillic, Verdasco v Malisse
James Ward plays Yen-Hsun Lu for a chance to play (probably) Murray in R2. Would like to see the local guy win that and get a chance to play on Centre in his career.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Day 1 OOP  - Page 8 Empty Re: Wimbledon - Day 1 OOP

Post by mthierry Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:14 pm

emancipator wrote:Oh I suppose those missed drop shots are also because of bad knees Rolling Eyes
Perhaps he was trying to end points quicker due to his bad knees?

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:15 pm

Ban and Jepp i take your points, youre not Rafa haters but 1...
Suggesting Rafa fans invited this on themselves is taking the urine... im a rafa fan, DONT tar me with the same brush...
2 specifically poitning out you dont feel for Rafa fans... its NOT the time jeep ok? 

As soon as the brigade get here its gonna be worse than 606, seriously please dont push anything, even if its innocuous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

Also thank your profanity filter... I take your hint

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

The guy went 5 sets with Djoko running like a champ, then 2 days later romped through Ferrer-- his knees were fine...   Take 2 weeks off and suddenly all you guys picking him to destroy the 7 time Wimbledon champ Federer a couple of days ago are talking about the knees again...  Come on guys--  Nadal's movement was bad, maybe because of the new grass and rustiness, but don't blame injury.  

He's certainly the clay Goat, but the past 3 years have proven he's not the all around Goat-- hopefully that talk is now put to rest.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

The moment Cowan tipped him for the title you knew the mockers were on him Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

Couldn't imagine Federer even giving 1 set to Darcis.. shows the difference between the Clay God and the Overall God
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by TorturedGenius Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

What's going on? Just got in from work and heard that Nadal lost to Steve Davis???

I mean he was a great snooker champion in the 80's, but making a comeback now? In Tennis??

TorturedGenius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm

As Becker said... No one died. It was just a Tennis match

Darcis played an excellent match. Ok!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:17 pm

falzy21 wrote:Ban and Jepp i take your points, youre not Rafa haters but 1...
Suggesting Rafa fans invited this on themselves is taking the urine... im a rafa fan, DONT tar me with the same brush...
2 specifically poitning out you dont feel for Rafa fans... its NOT the time jeep ok? 

As soon as the brigade get here its gonna be worse than 606, seriously please dont push anything, even if its innocuous

Well, maybe you shouldn't have been so quick to put up stupid articles discussing quarter finals before the first round had started.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:17 pm

banbrotam wrote:
falzy21 wrote:I suggest to EVERYONE ... Nadal fans or Nadal haters other (jeep) that we keep things nice... this place is about to become a living hell.

Agreed

But some Rafa fans invited this with their over confidence and indignant reaction to him been seeded five

No way, that is harsh, complaining about a seeding "invites" a drugs reference, hardly. I did just find out for the first time what happens if you press that exclamation mark and I reported it to the moderators so it might go after a while. Nadal might be on drugs or he might not but it isn't appropriate to say that without evidence, even as a joke, and, if nothing else might be worth removing the post for legal reasons.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:18 pm

Indeed LF. There is still 13 days left of tennis which might produce more shocks on the way.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:19 pm

That was amazing!!!

My twitter feed has gone nuts. Superb match of tennis and one of the biggest upsets i have ever seen. Wimbledon has well and truly started with a bang!

#RafaOut

Murray to hopefully win now Wimbledon - Day 1 OOP  - Page 8 3559488474

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:19 pm

TorturedGenius wrote:What's going on?  Just got in from work and heard that Nadal lost to Steve Davis???

I mean he was a great snooker champion in the 80's, but making a comeback now?  In Tennis??

Please be gentle, TG. rose The board/forum needs to stay civil and respectful, please.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:20 pm

Looks like I am supporting JWT again then, second year in a row
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:20 pm

OKAY emancipator, STOP IT, that article was a poll, I expected them to both make it, Nadal hasn't. Dont call my article stupid just because in retrospect it didnt work out.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:21 pm

Come on guys be honest here and this goes to Murray, Federer, Djokovic or fans of any player in the world.

If you had seen your player win twelve slams, beating Fed at Wimbledon, winning all four slams etc etc and being a player renowned for his movement, court coverage and supreme speed and fitness then you witness him being beaten on grass in surprising circumstances to players he would be expected to eat for breakfast you cannot tell me you are not going to claim anything other than injury and it is plain to see.

I am delighted for Murray's hopes that Rafa has been knocked out but it is sad to see one of the sport's all-time greats reduced to a pale shadow of what he was on grass. That is all I will say on the matter on this thread.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:22 pm

falzy21 wrote:Suggesting Rafa fans invited this on themselves is taking the urine... im a rafa fan, DONT tar me with the same brush...

If I said that you'd have a point

However, I did say some Rafa fans - meaning not all

I'm sad he's out - I honestly wanted that a Fedal / Murray Tsonga QF - simply because it would end the argument about this being a great era

I also defended him on this thread against those who implied it wasn't the knee. Rafa would never play like that unless something was wrong with him

Reminds me of the Murray/ Cilic US Open match of 2009, when Andy played poorly and seemed inhibited and then it turned out he had a wrist injury

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:22 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Indeed LF. There is still 13 days left of tennis which might produce more shocks on the way.

Quite agree, LK. Hating a player and the sport which provides so much to us is not very pleasant. Healthy players produce a healthy sport. 

Wish Nadal stays healthy.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

Some or not... you dont have a right to start winding people up, adults dont do that Ban. Youre an adult you know that, 2 wrongs arent right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:26 pm

Hewitt and Stan on Court 1, they've got their money's worth today. That could be a great one!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:29 pm

Agree with LK and LF, let's keep it civil. There are other matches on today, with all due respect to Darcis and Nadal. Starting with Stan the man flubbing his timing early in the match...

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:29 pm

Massively gutted for Nadal, but at least I can enjoy Wimbledon without anti-Nadal threads. no¿
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:29 pm

falzy21 wrote:Some or not... you dont have a right to start winding people up, adults dont do that Ban. Youre an adult you know that, 2 wrongs arent right.

What are you on about? I merely point out that some Rafa fans were ridiculous in their confidence - why is that a wind up

Does all my comments about supporting Rafa on this thread, get ignored simply because you are upset?

Please calm down - unfortunately there are a few Rafa and Roger fans who go OTT about their players and then are made to look silly.

It's a forum and pointing this out is not being a WUM

If I did this laughinglaughinglaughinglaughinglaughinglaughinglaughing at all Rafa fans, it certainly would be picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:30 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Come on guys be honest here and this goes to Murray, Federer, Djokovic or fans of any player in the world.

If you had seen your player win twelve slams, beating Fed at Wimbledon, winning all four slams etc etc and being a player renowned for his movement, court coverage and supreme speed and fitness then you witness him being beaten on grass in surprising circumstances to players he would be expected to eat for breakfast you cannot tell me you are not going to claim anything other than injury and it is plain to see.

I am delighted for Murray's hopes that Rafa has been knocked out but it is sad to see one of the sport's all-time greats reduced to a pale shadow of what he was on grass. That is all I will say on the matter on this thread.
Pretty much spot on. I understand the exasperation with the injury claims that follow Rafa more than most players. It's still amusing though to see people in denial about his glaring physical problems.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:30 pm

James Ward still putting a good fight up against Lu. 6-5 heading towards a tie-break again.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:31 pm

Nadal out. Shocked

Have to say though that Darcis played exceptionally and hats off to him for that. Does this make it harder or easier for Murray? The Fed should have an easier quarter-final than was expected now.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:31 pm

Anyway back to the Tennis, Murray's looking better as he gets used to the court and has just broken again

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:31 pm

Fine but be sensible eh? People are entitled to have confidence without being retrospectively panned for it ban. Again thats about respect

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:31 pm

falzy21 wrote:Ban and Jepp i take your points, youre not Rafa haters but 1...

Again Falzy I apologise. 

It was in the singular though when I meant Nadal Fans. Yes can guess who. And I can't apologise for the excrement they were posting before hand.

I'll leave it now though.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:31 pm

Murray's done well to get through this one in straight sets. He was never in danger of losing it at any point but he was really down on himself and the first set could well have slipped away. Serving for it at 5-2.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:32 pm

Duty281 wrote:Nadal out. Shocked

Have to say though that Darcis played exceptionally and hats off to him for that. Does this make it harder or easier for Murray? The Fed should have an easier quarter-final than was expected now.

If they both get there of course

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:32 pm

It still leaves Djoko as my favourite - but Murray gets the most immediate boost.

For Nadal my question is how close is the parallel to last year going to be?  I would think he's clearly got a knee injury or a problem with confidence in the knee on grass - what next?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:33 pm

Duty281 wrote:Nadal out. Shocked

Well it certainly boosts Roger's chances a great deal lets put it that way. Now potentially it is only Murray and Djokovic that he needs to go through to win his 8th Wimbledon title.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:34 pm

Thank you Jeep... thats nice of you

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:35 pm

mthierry wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:I understand the exasperation with the injury claims that follow Rafa more than most players. It's still amusing though to see people in denial about his glaring physical problems.

You're correct. But this doesn't make us Nadal haters or WUM's. As I said, some of his fans have too much of a god like view of him and seem to even ignore his warnings

He more or less said that his future was on clay

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:35 pm

Yes Murray Yahoo

Good Tennis day all round, apart from my defeat Sad

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:36 pm

Good test for Andy. I like the way Becker kept trying, forcing Murray to up his game

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:36 pm

Rafael Nadal on his defeat to Steve Darcis: "There were not a lot of good things for me. I tried my best all the time I had my chances but I did not make it. It is difficult to adapt your game on grass. Now is not the right time to talk about my knee. The only thing I can do is congratulate my opponent. It is not a tragedy, I lost, it is sport."

"I'm confident that I will recover and be ready for the next tournaments. I have played far more than I expected after my injury and I will try my best for the next couple of years."

A mix of things there. As one of my friends has just said, the rest is probably good for him to be honest, better he gets an enforced rest by an inspired opponent now than an actual injury forcing his way to the QFs etc and misses most of the year again
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:37 pm

barrystar wrote:It still leaves Djoko as my favourite - but Murray gets the most immediate boost.

For Nadal my question is how close is the parallel to last year going to be?  I would think he's clearly got a knee injury or a problem with confidence in the knee on grass - what next?

Boris on BBC repeated what I said earlier. It may very well be that the quick twists and turns and change of directions needed on grass that exasperate the problem perhaps even more than hard courts. Certainly if anyone watched the pre-tournament interview of Rafa he didn't sound all that confident about the knee.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:37 pm

Where's Nadal going to be seeded for Wimbledon next year?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:38 pm

Andy through in straight sets 6-4 6-3 6-2. Business-like performance.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:38 pm

Anyway, it's done and he's out, good luck to Darcis I hope he backs it up with a deep run
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:38 pm

One thing I have noticed, that the conditons look relatively fast, i.e. like last year

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:38 pm

No problem Falzy.

It is why we all love sport. That could have been anyone tbh. It's the beauty of knock-out competitions. And how tennis works. Anything can happen

What a start to Wimbledon!! Fantastic drama.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:38 pm

kingraf wrote:Massively gutted for Nadal, but at least I can enjoy Wimbledon without anti-Nadal threads. no¿
Not that easy, KR. I would not be surprised if there are negative articles. I am bracing for it. Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:39 pm

Be nice if Darcis got some real both pointage and monies for his efforts, be a shame if he went out 2nd round after this. Anyone know the opponent?

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:39 pm

banbrotam wrote:One thing I have noticed, that the conditons look relatively fast, i.e. like last year
It may be because today is the first day. Let us see how it plays out in the second week.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm

laverfan wrote:
kingraf wrote:Massively gutted for Nadal, but at least I can enjoy Wimbledon without anti-Nadal threads. no¿
Not that easy, KR. I would not be surprised if there are negative articles. I am bracing for it. Hug

I'm sad he's out. I like Rafa

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:41 pm

falzy21 wrote:Be nice if Darcis got some real both pointage and monies for his efforts, be a shame if he went out 2nd round after this. Anyone know the opponent?
Kubot (ATP #130) v Darcis (ATP #135). More than likely, he will win it.

Last edited by laverfan on Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 24 Jun 2013, 6:41 pm

laverfan wrote:
banbrotam wrote:One thing I have noticed, that the conditons look relatively fast, i.e. like last year
It may be because today is the first day. Let us see how it plays out in the second week.

But even for the first day it looks fast(er). I think it's simple if it stays dry - then it's a bit faster

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next