The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Crolla - Britain's equivalent to Gerry Cooney ??

+6
Lumbering_Jack
OasisBFC
hampo17
Hibbz
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Go down

Anthony Crolla - Britain's equivalent to Gerry Cooney ?? Empty Anthony Crolla - Britain's equivalent to Gerry Cooney ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 1:53 pm

How many bills has this kid headlined already and what is he 25-4-1 with nine kos and no power........It takes a gifted Man to fight Mathews twice and not win.......and he's lost to Gary Sykes twice !!!!

How many other fighters with similar records don't get to headline one bill..........

Am I missing something here.. please tell me !!...Is he handsome??........Is he gifted ???......Not for me........and not like me!!

Hoping Rees gets rid of this guy........To me he's the British equivalent of Gerry Cooney!!

Do us all a favor

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Anthony Crolla - Britain's equivalent to Gerry Cooney ?? Empty Re: Anthony Crolla - Britain's equivalent to Gerry Cooney ??

Post by hazharrison Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:01 pm

He's a tidy little boxer and a popular bloke -- he just lacks pop at lightweight (he's a natural super feather). He's also been involved in some cracking fights (Watson, Mathews, Farrell).

The losses to Sykes (first one) and Mathews were terrific fights (the Prizefighter loss to Sykes and his early squeaker with Al Hamidi aren't worth worrying about in all honesty).

He's great value against Rees also. While I think Rees should have a little too much dynamism for him, he'll win rounds (and can be backed at 11-4).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Anthony Crolla - Britain's equivalent to Gerry Cooney ?? Empty Re: Anthony Crolla - Britain's equivalent to Gerry Cooney ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:04 pm

Yes but he's a bust Haz........He keeps headlining and he doesn't deserve to.......

Where can he go If he wins............Matthews 3 ??...no thanks..

He's earned enough under false pretences.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:16 pm

Cracking ring name though.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yes but he's a bust Haz........He keeps headlining and he doesn't deserve to.......

Where can he go If he wins............Matthews 3 ??...no thanks..

He's earned enough under false pretences.

If he wins he fights Ricky Burns. Another loss and he could take the Mathews-Coyle winner (or loser).

I think it's harsh calling him a fraud -- he rarely gives anything less than his all. I like watching him (would gladly watch a Sykes rubber match over 12 rounds).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:21 pm

Hibbz wrote:Cracking ring name though.

Not sure about "Rock & Croll" on the poster, though.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 28 Jun 2013, 2:26 pm

Bear in mind the Al Hamidi and Sykes fights (both) were as close as you like, a point or so in it. The stoppage in the Mathews fight was questionable (I didn't argue with it but Crolla had every right to feel aggrieved there).

I can take a fighter losing in that manner if they give their all and entertain while doing it.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm

One thing losing... but keep headlining after ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 5:11 pm

Don't think he's headlined that many shows has he?

Crolla is value for money, if you get rid of these guys as you keep wanting to happen Truss you don't have a domestic scene. Personally I used to love watching the Friday fight night shows on Sky. You'd get to see guys like this on much smaller shows, great exposure but then Sky decided it didn't want any of that.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm

Headlined against Derry twice......and now this one..........25-4-1.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 28 Jun 2013, 5:21 pm

The rematch against Matthews was always going to be a headline fight, plus it was for the commonwealth title. The first fight was a British title fight, and this one is for the WBO Inter-Continental title.

All 3 of these are normally headliners so no reason they shouldn't have been in his case earlier, previously they would have been a Friday Fight Night special but because Sky ditched what was a good show they are now shown on Saturdays.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 28 Jun 2013, 9:29 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Headlined against Derry twice......and now this one..........25-4-1.......

not sure what your problem is?? he's not headlining a vegas show. they're fighting in an arena in Bolton.

he's a man that is always involved in great fights and is fighting a former world champ and someone who is just below world level so why shouldn't the show be a headlining one? he sells tickets and brings fans to the fights, that's the bottom line of it.

and yes, he's a good looking fella too. or so i'm told...

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 28 Jun 2013, 10:31 pm

He's entertaining which is surely the point of watching boxing. Thought he did enough to get the nod against Matthews second time round and he always puts on a show.

He headlines because he makes money.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 29 Jun 2013, 7:46 am

Got to agree that he's very entertaining, one of the most exciting fighters at domestic level.

Part of his appeal I think is that he is talented but vulnerable at the same time. He's all offence and poor defence which makes for real tear ups. Has a good array of punches and puts them together well. Thinking about it he always looks like a better fighter than he actually is, his style is pleasing. As mentioned his defence is shocking at times.

He's one I keep on an eye out for.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:08 am

I like fights to mean something.............Useless Smith v Dodson.........and Rees v Crolla....

Who cares ???.............no future for any of them.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:10 am

Winner of Rees vs Crolla is being lined up for a shot at Burns. May not mean a lot to some but to those guys it's huge.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:12 am

Lined up as a sacrifice..........

Rees will be finished post-Broner.........and Crolla shouldn't be headlining....Can't even beat Dire Derry.......

But If you rate the WBo.......and see Burns as bonafide then hey good luck..

A shot neither deserves.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:15 am

How many all British world title fights has there been over the last ten years ??? No wonder Boxing is dying....

It was a badge of honor If a Brit fought for a title thirty years ago..........

Shows you how pointless straps are these days....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 29 Jun 2013, 6:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I like fights to mean something.............Useless Smith v Dodson.........and Rees v Crolla....

So you don't have a future unless you can make it to world level?

He's entertaining to watch, surely that is the point.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Jun 2013, 6:32 pm

So are two drunks in a bar...I like fights to mean something..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat 29 Jun 2013, 7:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I like fights to mean something.............Useless Smith v Dodson.........and Rees v Crolla....

so arsenal should just stop playing football? they don't have a chance of beating chelsea, united or city next season.
just because fighters aren't world beaters doesn't mean they should pack it in.

it's their job, their right to earn money. they're the ones putting their lives on the line to feed their families. if you don't like it, don't watch them. it's that simple.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 29 Jun 2013, 7:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:So are two drunks in a bar...I like fights to mean something..

Are you suggesting that the British scene is pointless then?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 29 Jun 2013, 7:39 pm

Love a bit of 'million dollar' Crolla me.

Even though I tend to bet on him when he fights Derry Matthews. Not a proven money-maker, that one.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Sat 29 Jun 2013, 8:35 pm

I think TRUSS is just dangling a carrot, and everyone just bite. I can just see him now laughing at y'all.

I love a domestic scrap, wish there were more smaller cards on the box to watch

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:53 pm

sparxz wrote:I think TRUSS is just dangling a carrot, and everyone just bite. I can just see him now laughing at y'all.

if he's not, he's an idiot. if he is, he needs a hobby.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 6:15 pm

OasisBFC wrote:
sparxz wrote:I think TRUSS is just dangling a carrot, and everyone just bite. I can just see him now laughing at y'all.

Fancy a guy with the name Oasis liking Crolla ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 30 Jun 2013, 6:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:

Fancy a guy with the name Oasis liking Crolla ??

i'm not following you. you've surely not linked the 2 on the basis that crolla is from the same town as brit pop hit makers oasis?

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 30 Jun 2013, 6:22 pm

Never said you were following me..........Calm down........Yes I imagine anybody calling themselves Oasis...would be a fan of the band..

They were huge.............You just seemed to be very protective of Crolla so it was a fair assumption..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:47 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Never said you were following me..........Calm down........Yes I imagine anybody calling themselves Oasis...would be a fan of  the band..

They were huge.............You just seemed to be very protective of Crolla so it was a fair assumption..

no i was being rational.
and my name? well...i'm a fan of an isolated area of vegetation in deserts.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 06 Jul 2013, 9:00 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How many bills has this kid headlined already and what is he 25-4-1 with nine kos and no power........It takes a gifted Man to fight Mathews twice and not win.......and he's lost to Gary Sykes twice !!!!

How many other fighters with similar records don't get to headline one bill..........

Am I missing something here.. please tell me !!...Is he handsome??........Is he gifted ???......Not for me........and not like me!!

Hoping Rees gets rid of this guy........To me he's the British equivalent of Gerry Cooney!!

Do us all a favor

That's the greatest thing I've ever read- well played

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down