The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyres

4 posters

Go down

Tyres Empty Tyres

Post by bogbrush Sun 30 Jun 2013, 1:34 pm

So now the British GP has been made a farce and an embarrassment, thankfully the tyre situation will be changed.

Pity it took this for common sense to be reinforced.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Tyres Empty Re: Tyres

Post by bogbrush Tue 02 Jul 2013, 12:05 pm

As expected

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23141389
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by pob Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:32 pm

It's very convenient of Pirelli to have a full batch of these tyres available at such short notice. I saw kevlar in the tyres that punctured in the last race and Marca have since reported (although they are not always accurate) that Pirelli changed to a kevlar/steel hybrid construction for Silverstone without consent of the teams/FIA mad 
pob
pob

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 04 Jul 2013, 8:40 am

I'd just like to point out that the blame should lie squarely at the door of the FIA. Pre-season they ordered Pirelli to supply tyres that wear easily to increase excitement etc. Another categorical gaffe by the FIA.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 04 Jul 2013, 5:37 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I'd just like to point out that the blame should lie squarely at the door of the FIA. Pre-season they ordered Pirelli to supply tyres that wear easily to increase excitement etc. Another categorical gaffe by the FIA.

Its not wear thats the problem, Craig. Its a fault with the overall construction of the tyres.

I read an article by Gary Anderson in which he pointed out the entire carcass of the tyre is subjected to radically varying loads, during a lap of a circuit, causing it to deform (stretching, folding etc.) and things like running over kerbs just increases the stresses on them. At Silverstone, we saw an instance of a particular kerb increases those stresses to the point of failure.

He commented that Pirelli recently changed the bonding process, to reduce the risk of delaminations occurring and speculated that the fact the tread section is now more strongly bonded to the rest of the tyre, may be creating higher stresses in the walls and shoulders.

So, basically, they solved one problem, but in the process created another.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down