The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch v Golovkin?

+18
Rowley
bloodygloves
manos de piedra
TheMackemMawler
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Lumbering_Jack
J.Benson II
Valero's Conscience
Union Cane
seanmichaels
hazharrison
Steffan
Strongback
sweet_pea
mobilemaster8
tommyhearnsprodigalson
TRUSSMAN66
BlakkMamba
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Froch v Golovkin? Empty Froch v Golovkin?

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:34 pm

Boxrec are running this story here;

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2013/golovkin-v-froch-would-be-epic-says-hearn

Would love to see this one, what a battle between two top fighters.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Froch v Golovkin? Empty Re: Froch v Golovkin?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm

Mamba...It's not in Golotty's interests yet..........He needs to clean up 160....and make his name...

Chavez beat Rosario...and then cleaned up Ramirez and Aguilar before moving up to 140.........

Not certain he carries his punch to 168...........

No thanks Froch can fight Ward,...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:45 pm

haha - it would represent the opportunity to become a two weight world champion - maybe if the Martinez fight is squashed he doesn't see anyone else out there that he thinks he needs to beat?

With Eddie Hearn saying this could happen mid 2014 that makes me think two things - one they appreciate Golovkin wants an opportunity to become linear middle champ first - two they already have someone lined up for Froch for Autumn and possibly Spring! Kessler 3 in Autumn followed by Ward 2 in Spring would be nice Smile

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:45 pm

Thats true Abraham was a beast at MW then up to SMW he goes and his power looks ordinary,

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:47 pm

Would be a great fight. Would be very interested to see if Golovkin can carry his power up a division against a guy with a proven chin, good experience and of course adequate power himself. However, if that power gets carried up, i can see anything but a Golovkin win. He made Macklin cower within the first round. He landed 52% of his shots and wiped him out which not many expected him to do. Froch does leave himself open and with the way Golovkin feints a lot of shots and pressure stalks, i just see a comprehensive victory for. Its no forgone conclusion but i just think he is YHaT good

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:47 pm

You think Golovy is a big enough name to fight Froch and ward ?? for the money a showdown should bring ???

Chavez made his name at 130 before getting the big money at 135 /140...

Let him clean 160 make his name and then move up for superfights..

No wonder Froch wants him he has all the aces at 168..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:48 pm

hearns has said spring 2014, so if GGG can clean up by then i dont see why it cant happen.
saiko bika is also in the running for froch' next fight......
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:50 pm

Froch - Kessler 3...........Not ppv surely.......What's the point!! Froch is better end of.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:51 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Would be a great fight. Would be very interested to see if Golovkin can carry his power up a division against a guy with a proven chin, good experience and of course adequate power himself. However, if that power gets carried up, i can see anything but a Golovkin win. He made Macklin cower within the first round. He landed 52% of his shots and wiped him out which not many expected him to do. Froch does leave himself open and with the way Golovkin feints a lot of shots and pressure stalks, i just see a comprehensive victory for. Its no forgone conclusion but i just think he is YHaT good

He is good but don't forget Froch has reach on him and is much the bigger man, everyone thought Abraham would have the power to wipe him out and he just outboxed him instead. Appreciate GGG is a different beast, but he's got to get near to him first. I can't believe there is any way he is going to punch harder than Kessler, a big punching natural supermiddle. Could be a classic though!

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:52 pm

I think i'd prefer to see Golovkin against Chavez Jr or Murray, then go after Quillin, Geale and Martinez

I just wish it could be that easy.....

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Froch - Kessler 3...........Not ppv surely.......What's the point!! Froch is better end of.

It's just a good fight and they are still two and three in the world.

Ray Robinson was better than LaMotta but they still fought six times - no point in fighting a tomato can instead!

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:58 pm

Froch may be better than a worn Kessler now, but peak for peak I'd pick Kessler as the better operator as has already been proven.

Golovkin's amateur pedigree says he no flash in the pan. The look on Macklin's face the first time he got hit told me all I needed to know about his power. The kid is the real deal and looks different class to Froch, time will tell if he really is.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:03 pm

Strongback wrote:Froch may be better than a worn Kessler now, but peak for peak I'd pick Kessler as the better operator as has already been proven.

Golovkin's amateur pedigree says he no flash in the pan.  The look on Macklin's face the first time he got hit told me all I needed to know about his power.  The kid is the real deal and looks different class to Froch, time will tell if he really is.

A different class to a three time super middleweight champion who is ranked p4p number 8 in the world? You really rate him that highly because you are saying he is likely to go on to be an all time great off the back of a series of wins against unremarkable opponents and Matt Macklin who is best known for losing against quality fighters.

He's good, but I think that's getting a bit carried away at the moment.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm

Froch is not better than Kessler. The Dane was just totally shot. A prime Kessler beats Froch. Just like the not so prime Kessler did in Denmark

I would love slimey to get busted up by Golovkin. Wont happen though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:09 pm

Steffan wrote:Froch is not better than Kessler. The Dane was just totally shot. A prime Kessler beats Froch. Just like the not so prime Kessler did in Denmark

I think a prime fight between those two is absolutely on the night.

Kessler's world class, an done of the best super middles of all time, and anyone would struggle against him in Scandinavia - to be honest very few in history would be brave enough to go there and fight him.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:17 pm

Lou DiBella was quoted as saying he won't let Martinez anywhere near GGG as he's "a beast".

Froch has been offered four options by HBO: Ward, Kessler, GGG or Chavez.

Froch would be ideal if they're looking to build him for a Ward fight. Think he'll batter Chavez first, though.

GGG is awesome. I'm not sure Froch stands up to him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:18 pm

A Ward v Froch rematch will happen in the US

Its an easy payday for Ward so he may as well take it

While being a totally delusional fool...the slimester must know he has no chance of winning but is gonna get good money for getting slapped around by Ward again

No doubt the 'WAR FROCH' clowns will be out in force giving it the big one saying this time he is gonna win etc

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:25 pm

Steffan wrote:A Ward v Froch rematch will happen in the US

Its an easy payday for Ward so he may as well take it

While being a totally delusional fool...the slimester must know he has no chance of winning but is gonna get good money for getting slapped around by Ward again

No doubt the 'WAR FROCH' clowns will be out in force giving it the big one saying this time he is gonna win etc

Are you letting a personal dislike colour your objectivity Mr S?

p.s. I need to inbox you about Australia beating Wales at the weekend? Wink

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:28 pm

Steffan wrote:Froch is not better than Kessler. The Dane was just totally shot. A prime Kessler beats Froch. Just like the not so prime Kessler did in Denmark

Totally shot? Shot as in he managed a 12 round slugfest rocking someone with an iron chin in the 10th. Pah!

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:28 pm

What are Golovkin's whiskers like? How does he react when he gets hit back?

Jingoistic bias aside, there is no way Carl would crumple in a heap like the Irishman at the weekend, Froch v Golovkin would be a modern classic but let's not forget that Carl is 35, so if it is not made soon it will become meaningless.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:30 pm

[quote="BlakkMamba"]
Steffan wrote:p.s. I need to inbox you about Australia beating Wales at the weekend? Wink
Laugh Not bad I must say

Wales will win the third test. Our weapon Tipuric has been saved up until now Bubbly 

Il watch a Froch v Ward rematch just to see the slimester get beat up on some more

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:33 pm

Steffan wrote:
BlakkMamba wrote:
Steffan wrote:p.s. I need to inbox you about Australia beating Wales at the weekend? Wink
Laugh Not bad I must say

Wales will win the third test. Our weapon Tipuric has been saved up until now Bubbly 

Il watch a Froch v Ward rematch just to see the slimester get beat up on some more

I am to please Smile

It will be interesting to see if Froch can reinvent himself and box smarter than the first fight - to be honest I think he gravely underestimated Ward.

That said Ward is pure class, and starts a heavy favourite.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:41 pm

Union Cane wrote:What are Golovkin's whiskers like? How does he react when he gets hit back?

Jingoistic bias aside, there is no way Carl would crumple in a heap like the Irishman at the weekend, Froch v Golovkin would be a modern classic but let's not forget that Carl is 35, so if it is not made soon it will become meaningless.

Macklin is from Birmingham.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:53 pm

Macklin lost. Therefore he now becomes Irish Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:57 pm

I was just going off the way he decked himself out in the green white and orange of Ireland.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:57 pm

Macklin is a fighter you could argue is shot. Moore, Martinez both heavy defeats in terms of punishment.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 01 Jul 2013, 2:08 pm

Union Cane wrote:What are Golovkin's whiskers like? How does he react when he gets hit back?

GGG's never been decked in 350 amateur and 27 pro fights so assume he's got a good chin.

I want GGG to stay around MW for a while, clear up and become the man before moving to SMW. A fight with Canelo would be very good as well.

Froch vs GG would be a 50/50 fight in my eyes as Froch's size and reach cancel out GGG's skill set. Both have good chins and would be a tear up! Saying that, The fight would have to happen soon as Froch isn't getting younger.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Jul 2013, 2:21 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Macklin is a fighter you could argue is shot. Moore, Martinez both heavy defeats in terms of punishment.

He isn't shot. He just met someone a bit special.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Jul 2013, 2:22 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:

GGG's never been decked in 350 amateur and 27 pro fights so assume he's got a good chin.

I want GGG to stay around MW for a while, clear up and become the man before moving to SMW.  A fight with Canelo would be very good as well.

Froch vs GG would be a 50/50 fight in my eyes as Froch's size and reach cancel out GGG's skill set.  Both have good chins and would be a tear up!  Saying that, The fight would have to happen soon as Froch isn't getting younger.

I think GGG batters Froch. Anyone he hits will be in trouble -- and Froch gets hit often.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 2:27 pm

hazharrison wrote:

I want GGG to stay around MW for a while, clear up and become the man before moving to SMW.  A fight with Canelo would be very good as well.

Froch vs GG would be a 50/50 fight in my eyes as Froch's size and reach cancel out GGG's skill set.  Both have good chins and would be a tear up!  Saying that, The fight would have to happen soon as Froch isn't getting younger.

I think GGG batters Froch. Anyone he hits will be in trouble -- and Froch gets hit often.

So he hits harder than Kessler?

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 01 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm

hazharrison wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:Macklin is a fighter you could argue is shot. Moore, Martinez both heavy defeats in terms of punishment.

He isn't shot. He just met someone a bit special.

yeah but i did only say 'you could argue'. 3rd fairly brutal beat down he has had now.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 2:53 pm

Union Cane wrote:I was just going off the way he decked himself out in the green white and orange of Ireland.

he represents Ireland.........If his wikipedia page is reliable..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 01 Jul 2013, 3:11 pm

That would make him an Irishman then, as I originally said.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 3:22 pm

To be sure...to be sure

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 01 Jul 2013, 3:48 pm

GGG against Froch would be interesting. One of the top punchers in boxing against one of the best chins.
I'd probably favour Froch based on his experience at 168 and on the question marks around GGG at that weight.
However, I'd favour GGG against anyone at 154-160 including Martinez who is on the slide.
I'd like to see him fight Quillin next in a unification bout. Two big hitters. Will be entertaining while it lasts.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Jul 2013, 4:10 pm

BlakkMamba wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Who knows? Looks that way to me. Kessler's a strong puncher. GGG looks an incredible puncher.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 01 Jul 2013, 4:11 pm

Union Cane wrote:That would make him an Irishman then, as I originally said.

As Irish as Tyson Fury, yes.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 4:15 pm

hazharrison wrote:
BlakkMamba wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Who knows? Looks that way to me. Kessler's a strong puncher. GGG looks an incredible puncher.

At middleweight yes.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 01 Jul 2013, 5:54 pm

People getting a little carried away here. Sure he hits hard but it's not like macklin is made of stone. Impressive performance but to me it hardly suggests he "batters" Froch as some are suggesting. I'd fancy Kessler to hit just as hard and we seen Froch stand up to him over and over.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm

Agree...There is a world of difference from 160 -168.............Just ask Gomez who's punch wasn't the same at 126 from 122...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 6:06 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:People getting a little carried away here. Sure he hits hard but it's not like macklin is made of stone. Impressive performance but to me it hardly suggests he "batters" Froch as some are suggesting. I'd fancy Kessler to hit just as hard and we seen Froch stand up to him over and over.

Definitely agree.

Whilst an undoubted talent stepping up a weight class and fighting a proven elite level fighter and winning is something few fighters in history do.

As things stand today I think Froch decisions him in a tight classic. In twelve months Froch may have been through two more gruelling fights and the scales may have tipped, it's difficult to say.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:34 pm

BlakkMamba wrote:
Strongback wrote:Froch may be better than a worn Kessler now, but peak for peak I'd pick Kessler as the better operator as has already been proven.

Golovkin's amateur pedigree says he no flash in the pan.  The look on Macklin's face the first time he got hit told me all I needed to know about his power.  The kid is the real deal and looks different class to Froch, time will tell if he really is.

A different class to a three time super middleweight champion who is ranked p4p number 8 in the world?  You really rate him that highly because you are saying he is likely to go on to be an all time great off the back of a series of wins against unremarkable opponents and Matt Macklin who is best known for losing against quality fighters.

He's good, but I think that's getting a bit carried away at the moment.

Macklin should have got the nod against Strum and put up a good show against Martinez. Macklin can handle himself at world level, well he could until he met GGG. In Golovkin I see an extremely skilled fighter that is very difficult to hit and has dynamite in each hand. I've seen enough of him now to know we are looking at a guy will be Top 5 in the P4P lists in the next couple of years. His skill set and power dwarfs Froch's. All he needs is a bit more experience. Definitely a very special talent in my eyes.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:36 pm

Union Cane wrote:I was just going off the way he decked himself out in the green white and orange of Ireland.

He's wearing those shorts because they make him very popular around the world. Union Jack shorts wouldn't.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:48 pm

Would be a great fight and by summer 2014 i'd favour GGG

I doubt that Golovkin will get one of Martinez, Chavez, Quillin or Canelo by then so I can't see why he won't take it given Froch is a pretty big name and a W over Carl sets up a big Ward fight later in the year

Froch is a very tough SMW with good power and decent fundamentals, but he isn't a particularly big SMW and while I don't think they've done a on the night weigh in for any of his fights, i'd imagine he doesn't put on alot of weight 24 hours after the weigh in

Because of that, GGG won't be going in against someone who will outweigh him by 10+lbs on the night which will play to his advantage. People may question if GGG can carry up the power, he may not but he'll still be heavy handed regardless and if he does carry the power up then Froch will be in lots of trouble. The man spars light heavies and cruisers and has never been dropped in any fight so I'm sure his chin will hold up, at least for a while

Froch has always looked a little vulnerable to the body imo and GGG hits the body great. The amount of flush rights Froch has taken throughout his career is a sign that GGG could land his and Froch can't be trading on his chin against someone like GGG

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:49 pm

Strongback wrote:

He's wearing those shorts because they make him very popular around the world.  Union Jack shorts wouldn't.

hahaha - touche sir.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:47 pm

It's a given AA was a huge puncher at MW but not so much at SMW.

Despite his stature, AA was somewhat a head hunter. Bigger guys tend to have better chins, therefore, AA's propensity to go to the head contributed to his lack of sucess at the heavier weight.

GGG, on the other hand, is equally adept at going to the body as he is at going to the head. Therefore, unlike AA, if he fails to carry his punch up to SMW he should still manage to get the stoppages due to his purposeful and accurate body punching.

7lb in weight might make your chin better but it doesn't make your ribs sturdier.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:53 pm

Golovkins style is also far more suited to higher weight classes

AA held a high guard and swung for the fences while coming forward, Golovkin is much smoother and technically is far superior so won't take as many as AA did

AA may have his power and toughness but never had his footwork, balance, ring IQ, jab or punch selection (to the body)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:45 pm

Golovkin obviously hits seriously hard, but even if his power didnt have the same effect higher up a class (I suspect it wouldnt suffer greatly) he still has excellent shot selection, accuracy and the technique to box. He isnt just reliant on power.

The only real fight now for Golovkin at middlweight is Martinez and on recent showings he should win that which means it may well not happen. I would like to see Martinez push for the fight but at his age now it would be understandable to retire. I just hope he doesnt carry on fighting lesser opponents while findng reasons not to face Golovkin as its really the fight that should be happening.

Golovkins win over Macklin was so impressive that theres only a few names now you in the divisions around him that you feel could offer him a good fight. It might have been a little too impressive in terms of getting the big fights. Even Martinez on latest showings I feel might not be a challenge.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 02 Jul 2013, 4:48 am

Strongback wrote:

He's wearing those shorts because they make him very popular around the world.  Union Jack shorts wouldn't.

Everyone loves a clown / under dog......

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodygloves Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:02 am

Golovin would spark Froch out in 4. Froch too hittable and with Golovin's power, easy to know

bloodygloves

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next