The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drop Sets- are they useful?

4 posters

Go down

Drop Sets- are they useful? Empty Drop Sets- are they useful?

Post by sikhlion Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:47 pm

Hello, I've been trying to increase my gains in the gym as I seem to have reached a plateau. I understand that you must try and overload your muscle in order for it to respond. This can be hard to achieve if you don't have a spotter in the gym to help you for e out a few extra reps. Does anyone have experience using Drop Sets? How do drop sets compare to standard sets in terms of usefulness? If they are useful in a workout is it okay to do them on one exercise per muscle group per week, or is it something that should only be done once a month to avoid overtraining? I know some of you are experienced trainers and just wanted a good source of information as searching the net for an answer seems to give contradictory opinions.

sikhlion

Back to top Go down

Drop Sets- are they useful? Empty Re: Drop Sets- are they useful?

Post by J.Benson II Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:34 pm

I do them occasionally (mostly for weighted chins and dips). Sometimes its better to utilise them on the machines due to the ease in which you can change weight.
Its a good technique to use every now and again just to keep things interesting. I tend to use whenever I just want to try something different, which is usually once a month. I don't think there is much harm in doing them more often that that though.
You mentioned having reached a plateau. How long have you been training for?

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:00 pm

I dont do that. Simply put I walk in, go BEAST, walk out. And its worked, I look like a 300 extra (really, just the extra, Im no Gerard Butler)... *points to biceps* "Is this even CGI?''
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Oh and welcome to 666
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by sikhlion Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome kingraf. I've been a longtime reader of the 606v2 boards and enjoy reading the posts so thought may as well join in!

J Benson thanks for the advice- I've trained on and off for seven to eight years but more seriously over last year or so. I do cardio and weights. I know I should split the days I do then on but it's hard to find the time. I've just found I get to a certain level and then find it quite hard to get beyond that so figured I should try a few different techniques to try and shock my body.

sikhlion

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:09 am

Welcome, sikhlion.

Yes dropsets are worth doing. I tend to hold them back until the last couple of exercises of a workout and then throw in a dropset at the end of each one. For example last night I did a quick back workout - 3 x 10 pullups, 3 x 12 dumbell rows, 3 x 12 (no idea what it's called but when you put plates on one end of the bar and pull it up between your legs), 3 x 10 bent over cables (on bottom), then a set on the lat pulldown where I went really high rep lessening the weight each time.

Always give a good burn and increase stamina at the very least. Give them a go, see what happens.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:42 pm

sikhlion wrote:Thanks for the welcome kingraf. I've been a longtime reader of the 606v2 boards and enjoy reading the posts so thought may as well join in!

J Benson thanks for the advice- I've trained on and off for seven to eight years but more seriously over last year or so. I do cardio and weights. I know I should split the days I do then on but it's hard to find the time. I've just found I get to a certain level and then find it quite hard to get beyond that so figured I should try a few different techniques to try and shock my body.

If you've only been training consistantly for a year or so, you should still be able to continue making good progress for at least another 2-3 years or so. I would recommend just being patient and remaining consistant. However, don't expect the kind of gains you made over the past year to continue in such a linear fashion.
When you start training consistantly, the first year or so of training yealds great results. Gains start slowing down after that. After a couple of years training, your body pretty much maxes out. When someone has been training naturally (drug-free) for lets say 15 years, you can be certain that almost all muscle gain would have taken place in the first 3-5 years.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:53 pm

So true, eighteen months ago, I weighed 75kg, I now clock in at 88! Simply put, without 'help' there is almost no way I can keep that rate of growth. Mans gotta know his limitations, otherwise frustrations kick in
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down