The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blooming Swearing Before 9pm!

4 posters

Go down

Blooming Swearing Before 9pm! Empty Blooming Swearing Before 9pm!

Post by Guest Sat 06 Jul 2013, 9:20 pm

In the days of 3 and 4 channel television, it was quite common for films to suffer the pre-watershed chop.  Violence was often edited out altogether and expletives removed or replaced.  Cutting the action out of an action movie is never a good idea, and removing "bad words" made the actors look like they were suffering from a bad case of lip syncing.  If you want to make a film look totally ridiculous, however, replace swearing with something totally innocuous.

Who could forget, for one, Mel Gibson's promise to "bury the funsters" in Lethal Weapon or Bruce Willis's vengeful cry of "Yippee ki-yay ke-mo sah-bee" as he dispatches Alan Rickman's Hans Gruber at the end of Die Hard.  In The Dead Pool, Dirty Harry has a rather strange opinion of opinions: they are like "airheads" and "every unit has got one".  Profound if I knew what the flip Harry was going on about.  Have you had the misfortune to hear any others?

Back to top Go down

Blooming Swearing Before 9pm! Empty Re: Blooming Swearing Before 9pm!

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 08 Jul 2013, 3:58 pm

its the missing action that really gets my goat . seen the incredible hulk a while ago on telly . the part where hulk kicks Tim roth into a tree and really lays him out and u can see why he breaks all his bones but in the census telly version u dont see hulks foot connect and roth just seen falling to the ground like a baby

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 08 Jul 2013, 6:07 pm

I've seen a cut version of one of the 48 Hours films before where each swearword was muted. It was virtually silent when Eddie Murphy was on screen. Kind of defeated the purpose as Eddie cussing is the main reason you watch any film with him in.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TinRibs Mon 08 Jul 2013, 11:40 pm

Harry Enfield's "Badfellas" sketch was a pretty decent summary of it. A scene from a parody Scorsese film. Can be found on YouTube.

"You fun my wife?"
"What?"
"You fun my wife?"
TinRibs
TinRibs

http://richieandrews.moonfruit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Mon 15 Jul 2013, 7:36 pm

Galted wrote:I've seen a cut version of one of the 48 Hours films before where each swearword was muted.  It was virtually silent when Eddie Murphy was on screen.  Kind of defeated the purpose as Eddie cussing is the main reason you watch any film with him in.

I remember watching a cut version of Coming to America, and a similar thing happened. I remember Samuel L Jackson attempting to rob the McDougall's restaurant, shouting 'Forget you' at Akeem.

Also in Trading places there's a scene where Eddie throws a party which gets out of hand. In the end he shoots a gun, and shouts Get out. there's an extremely long pause between Get and Out, and you can see him mouthing an obscenity.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down