The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Losing to the same player twice in the same tournament

+2
ryan86
bradman99.94
6 posters

Go down

Losing to the same player twice in the same tournament Empty Losing to the same player twice in the same tournament

Post by bradman99.94 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:12 am

Playing in the Challenger in Turkey this week Edward Corrie lost to M. Ledovskik in qualifying, then got into the main tournament on an Alt. and promptly lost to him again in the first round. I guess it happens occasionally where a player sneaks in through the back door having already lost in qualifying and then picks out the same player in the main draw but it just struck me as unusual…..just imagine the feeling of revenge if you were to lose in qualifying then win in the main draw!

Just thought you all needed something to help you come down after the excitement of the weekend Smile

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Losing to the same player twice in the same tournament Empty Re: Losing to the same player twice in the same tournament

Post by ryan86 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:43 am

Someone managed to do it to Ana Ivanovic. Lost in qualifying, then lost in the final of the same event. Em, Melinda Czink.

Another bizarre stat from recently may be Pere Riba's performance in winning the Todi Challenger. He lost 6 more games than he won.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Losing to the same player twice in the same tournament Empty Re: Losing to the same player twice in the same tournament

Post by barrystar Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:57 am

Agassi, Hewitt, Tsonga have all lost twice to Federer at the TMC/WTF in 2003, 2004, and 2011 respectively.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:01 pm

I would be gutted if I knocked someone out and had to play them again in the next round!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed 10 Jul 2013, 4:03 am

Henman Bill wrote:I would be gutted if I knocked someone out and had to play them again in the next round!
Yeah, I can see that.  Imagine if - in this year's RG - Rafa came to the final only to find out that he had to play Nole yet again instead of Ferrer.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:02 pm

Playing the same player twice in an elimination-by-the-round tournament is peculiar. LL or Withdrawals can lead to such situations.

In a Round-Robin tourney like WTF/TMC, it is possible (as Barry points out).

@Barry... Pretty certain you did not have any subliminal messages to avoid this one Wink ...

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2005/605/mds.pdf

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:25 pm

@lf - the title is "losing to the same player twice", and 2005 is win one lose one so I didn't think of it in that context.  

There must be plenty of TMC/WTF when the same players have played twice, as often as not with different results I guess, I just happened to remember those three as occasions which fitted within the title.

I was pleased for Nalbandian in 2005 - whilst a win would have enabled Fed to match Mac's 1984 w/l it was hardly a heart-breaker for him.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Wed 10 Jul 2013, 3:24 pm

Actually, I think I’ve got this wrong. Looking at the draw for the qualifying tournament it has the match between Corrie and Ledovskik described as ‘Not Played’. So I guess he didn’t lose to the same bloke twice! He just picked out the same player twice in the draw having been prmoted to the main tournament
I’ll just go away a little red faced

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down