The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Player of the Tournament

+8
doctor_grey
NeilyBroon
mountain man
nlpnlp
Maine man
Unclear
carpet baboon
Collapse2005
12 posters

Go down

Player of the Tournament  Empty Player of the Tournament

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:09 pm

Nominees

Aki
Earl
VdM
Menoncelo

Quality list!

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Player of the Tournament  Empty Re: Player of the Tournament

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:11 pm

I think Earl will win as he was prominent toward the end of the tournament and very good throughout in general. Four worthy nominees though. JGP might have been worth a mention.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:19 pm

Menocello for me.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Unclear Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:21 pm

A good list, but surely between Earl and Menoncello? Earl showed up well in all the games and it would be hard to look past him. Aki was good, but not at his very best (like the rest of the Ireland team), VdM scored some good tries, but didn't influence the rest of his team consistently, Menoncello had some great performances, but didn't quite work to drag the rest of his mates up a level the way Earls tried to.

Unclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:46 pm

I thought Brex would have been on the list. What's the criteria to be on the list?

Maine man

carpet baboon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:48 pm

Unclear wrote:A good list, but surely between Earl and Menoncello?  Earl showed up well in all the games and it would be hard to look past him.  Aki was good, but not at his very best (like the rest of the Ireland team), VdM scored some good tries, but didn't influence the rest of his team consistently, Menoncello had some great performances, but didn't quite work to drag the rest of his mates up a level the way Earls tried to.

I feel Sheehan had a better tournament than Vdf, he was top try scorer too

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Tue 19 Mar 2024, 2:56 pm

Earl made the most carries of any player in the Six Nations this year 73, made 63 tackles, while he recorded the most carry metres 419, metres in contact 127 and defenders beaten 24 of any forward.

Menoncello's figures are carries 35, 46 tackles, carry metres 303 and metres in contact 79.

I appreciate that it is difficult to compare a forward to a back, but Earl does seem to stand out.  However, I expect Menoncello to get the sympathy/anyone but England vote.

nlpnlp

Geordie and doctor_grey like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 19 Mar 2024, 3:33 pm

Earl no question and not just because he's an England player. He was consistently excellent in every game. Other players been really good but Earl every game.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 19 Mar 2024, 4:00 pm

VdM didn't really have a great tournament, England game aside. Have to say Earl probably deserves it of this list. Menocello definitely deserves an honourable mention. Aki was brilliant at the start but faded towards the end of the tournament.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 20 Mar 2024, 2:11 pm

There has only ever been one English player of the tournament and that was Mike Brown so its probably time they won another one. It will be the first time a number 8 has won the award.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 20 Mar 2024, 2:36 pm

If the player of the tournament is from England, then to me the only candidate would be Earl.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 20 Mar 2024, 3:34 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:There has only ever been one English player of the tournament and that was Mike Brown so its probably time they won another one. It will be the first time a number 8 has won the award.

Did parisse not win it one year?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 20 Mar 2024, 3:41 pm

No he was nominated a few times but never won. Only Andrea Masi has won from Italy.

Collapse2005

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Wed 20 Mar 2024, 3:48 pm

Player of the Tournament  6n10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Six_Nations_Championship_Player_of_the_Championship_winners

TAFKA The Oracle

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 20 Mar 2024, 3:53 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Player of the Tournament  6n10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Six_Nations_Championship_Player_of_the_Championship_winners

Wow! Gotta feel hard done by for parisse, he was essentially the Italian team at points!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Wed 20 Mar 2024, 8:59 pm

Really surprised England only have 1. It’s weird, and seems almost odd! A conspiracy?!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Flintoff05 Fri 05 Apr 2024, 2:27 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Menocello for me.

You were correct.

Flintoff05

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 05 Apr 2024, 3:48 pm

Pleased for the Italian. Not sure what else Earl could have done except not be English.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 05 Apr 2024, 5:37 pm

lostinwales wrote:Pleased for the Italian. Not sure what else Earl could have done except not be English.
Mate, as you well know, there are burdens which all English have to carry which no one else does.  Earl is just the latest in a long line of Englishmen who stoically go about their business whilst sacrificing their own well-being, fame, and fortune for the other inhabitants of the planet.  So incredibly noble, it almost makes me want to blush...

To be fair, Tommaso Menoncello was very good and are happy for him. He is very good and is a centre. I wonder if he wants to be English - you know deep down he does...

doctor_grey

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 05 Apr 2024, 6:11 pm

nlpnlp wrote:Earl made the most carries of any player in the Six Nations this year 73, made 63 tackles, while he recorded the most carry metres 419, metres in contact 127 and defenders beaten 24 of any forward.

Menoncello's figures are carries 35, 46 tackles, carry metres 303 and metres in contact 79.

I appreciate that it is difficult to compare a forward to a back, but Earl does seem to stand out.  However, I expect Menoncello to get the sympathy/anyone but England vote.

You were correct....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 05 Apr 2024, 9:33 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Pleased for the Italian. Not sure what else Earl could have done except not be English.
Mate, as you well know, there are burdens which all English have to carry which no one else does.  Earl is just the latest in a long line of Englishmen who stoically go about their business whilst sacrificing their own well-being, fame, and fortune for the other inhabitants of the planet.  So incredibly noble, it almost makes me want to blush...

To be fair, Tommaso Menoncello was very good and are happy for him.  He is very good and is a centre.  I wonder if he wants to be English - you know deep down he does...

Reminds me of the definition of an Argentinian. He's an Italian who speaks Spanish and wants to be an Englishman

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 05 Apr 2024, 9:35 pm

Makes me wonder how Brown managed to get player of the tournament. He was fantastic at that point but still....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 05 Apr 2024, 9:57 pm

lostinwales wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

To be fair, Tommaso Menoncello was very good and are happy for him.  He is very good and is a centre.  I wonder if he wants to be English - you know deep down he does...

Reminds me of the definition of an Argentinian. He's an Italian who speaks Spanish and wants to be an Englishman
Deep down, everyone wants to be English.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down