The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benji Marshall rumoured to be switching to Union

+9
majesticimperialman
broadlandboy
aucklandlaurie
Taylorman
nganboy
formerly known as Sam
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Bathite
13 posters

Go down

Benji Marshall rumoured to be switching to Union Empty Benji Marshall rumoured to be switching to Union

Post by Bathite Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:08 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/wests-tigers-superstar-benji-marshall-requests-release-from-the-club-to-join-rugby-union/story-fn2mcuj6-1226679805271#.UePXW9LJzK0

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure at seeing this ridicolously talented athlete, check this out! He might be a slightly better Shontayne Hape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kboCHWOdfHw

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Benji Marshall rumoured to be switching to Union Empty Re: Benji Marshall rumoured to be switching to Union

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 15 Jul 2013, 1:22 pm

Yep. reckon we could accommodate him at the Chiefs!! Wink

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Benji Marshall rumoured to be switching to Union Empty Re: Benji Marshall rumoured to be switching to Union

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 15 Jul 2013, 1:31 pm

He looks even faster than Nikki Walker. Special.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 15 Jul 2013, 5:32 pm

Shock horror, NZ League superstar wants to switch codes in order to get an AB shirt in time for the RWC in 2015, next we'll hear Money Bill is discussing a return, oh wait the NZRFU have just announced their in talks.

Looks like they really are going to empty all the islands talent into the touring party for 2015.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 16 Jul 2013, 1:28 am

Gee now NZ can get dissed for selecting NZ born players because they look like they might be polynesian unless Sam is talking about the North Island
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:12 am

Yes Benji being maori is more Kiwi than most so a misguided missile there... frankly can't wait to see him in the Blues arena and hope recent losses allows JK to pitch big time after letting his best 10 go to the Chiefs.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 16 Jul 2013, 3:39 am

When this first started breaking about a month ago, I thought at the time that its a nothing story, and I really havent changed my mind since, but their are several things I dont grasp:

1. If he was coming back to NZ, why would he be going to the Blues as opposed to the Chiefs?

2. How come the first person to started make noises about this was J.K.?

3. Would the Waratahs not also be a possible option for him?

4. Why would you risk a lucrative future with channel nine?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 16 Jul 2013, 8:19 am

I meant the New Zealand islands as I was joking about the NZRFU recruiting all the best rugby players irrelevant of code for the next RWC. I was certainly not going down the adopted nation route.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Tue 16 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

Would he be eligable for Aus?

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 16 Jul 2013, 8:31 pm

Is he switching codes for the RWC 2015. or do they simply earn more money in rugby union than in rugby league?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 16 Jul 2013, 8:37 pm

Part of it is poor form and he's struggling to get on with the Tigers coach apparently.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 8:40 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Is he switching codes for the RWC 2015. or do they simply earn more money in rugby  union than in rugby league?
Not sure but wouldnt have thought so. He one of the biggest stars in NRL, he must be on chunks. Unless the World cup winning bonus is massive?

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 16 Jul 2013, 8:42 pm

By the tone of the news report because he just wants out of his RL club and union is the easiest route with the NZRFU happy to have him looking ahead to defending their title.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 17 Jul 2013, 1:40 am

Benji wants a change. He is/has been a bit of a star at league and would have no problem getting a new job with another club. I understand would take a biggish pay cut to join a NZ union and probably an Aus union too.

There is not much chance of him making the ABs and getting to the RWC as a 10 in my opinion with Carter/Cruden/Barrett in front of him. Last night on Reunion (TV rugby show) they were thinking his best chance was in the 7s.

He is from the top of the North Island so Blues is his catchment. The Blues need a 10. Chiefs have Cruden and Anscombe. Kirwan has already talked to his manager and seems interested.

The Waratahs have also expressed interest but he is not a priority for them.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 17 Jul 2013, 8:11 am

Beale will be the priority for the 'tahs I'd imagine. Will Marshall be a definite 10? He'd make a bigger splash at 13 if he could play there.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 17 Jul 2013, 9:17 am

Could Marshall qualify for Australia? Also, I'm pretty sure he could play 12 or possibly even 9 if he has enough time to get used to the positions
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 17 Jul 2013, 10:52 am

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3824_8827574,00.html

Blues or Waratahs it is then?

Blues struggling for a 10, but i'm not sure you'd want Benji playing there, surely you want him at 12,13,15?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Thu 18 Jul 2013, 3:13 am

I believe he would qualify for the Wallabies (he's been over there for over a decade), but don't think he would choose to play for them. if he can't qualify for NZ (or a PI - does he have any ancestors from there?) then I think he'd sit out international rugby.

And as a blues fan, I'd say that BB would be a better signing

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 18 Jul 2013, 8:23 pm

I honestly have no clue who this bloke is.
Really.

But I am sure he has a grandmother from somewhere between the four corners of London, Dublin, Cardiff and Edinburgh.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down