The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benji Marshall to return to NRL

+4
GloriousEmpire
chewed_mintie
blackcanelion
kiakahaaotearoa
8 posters

Go down

Benji Marshall to return to NRL Empty Benji Marshall to return to NRL

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 21 Apr 2014, 8:06 am

When Benji Marshall announced his move to rugby union, it was hailed as a major coup. Representing the Auckland Blues, a region where a lot of young talent is swept up by league talent scouts at an early age and put through some very attractive and well organised age group systems, this was supposed to be a story to catch the limelight for union and make the traffic head the other way.

Well if that was the idea, I hate to think what this outcome will do for league. Benji made only 8 appearances and played just 212 minutes of game time for the Blues. He was switched between flyhalf and fullback and had problems adjusting. He was told that he would have to go to the lower tiers to learn the game for next super season but with the window closing for next year's transfers in the NRL, he has made the announcement to return to the NRL.

Not all the players who make the switch between codes are a success. But Marshall probably looked at Israel Folau and thought that's the kind of impact I want to make on union. But it's not that simple. You have to put your head down and work hard at learning the nuances of the game. Brad Thorn turned down a tour with the ABs after his first season because he felt that he wasn't quite ready for the change.

I'm not sure if things could've been done differently but the way this has turned out, it makes me wish it had. It's a worrying message that's sent out to players who might have wanted to make the switch back to union from league: don't bother as it's not going to work out. Do you think Kirwan tried to bring him on too soon or was it more the state of mind of Marshall? Is this news disastrous for union and will it forge the links with league in Auckland stronger after this debacle? Or is it a mere case of a high profile athlete long in the tooth not wanting to do the hard graft and union is better off without him?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Benji Marshall to return to NRL Empty Re: Benji Marshall to return to NRL

Post by blackcanelion Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:13 am

I think he always wanted to have a go. I don't think it was all about thinking he would be an instant star. He grew up playing union and was named in the NZ under 16 team before he took a league scholarship to Queensland. Good luck to him.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:24 am

Another option might be a contract in France or England.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:03 am

Don't think any NRL wants to pick him up. Salford were desperate to sign him so there may be a safe haven for him after all.

Of course, he could just go and retire in Japan or France though

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:15 am

Tough the transition into a pivotal role like 10, especially when you're living on scraps for game time.

He showed a distinct lack of commitment in not knuckling down and learning his art.

Suspect he picked the wrong club too. There's a stack of talent in both positions and he was unlikely to break through.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:20 am

running a backline in league is completely different from running a backline in union. We've seen it time and time again.
Kicking is such an important part of union play, you can't underestimate it.

I think he would have succeeded had he played in a team say as a second five-eigth but with Nonu at the blues that was never going to happen. He would also need a decent flyhalf around him for at least a few seasons.

In essence he chose the wrong club with the wrong setup. A bit obtuse for the NZRU who are often the best in the business at player development and foresight.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:59 am

Man enough to admit he was not good enough, but I do not think he had enough game time and was played in the wrong position. Would have been great to have him in Northland for a ITM season but he want's a return to league. Good luck to him.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:03 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:Man enough to admit he was not good enough, but I do not think he had enough game time and was played in the wrong position.  Would have been great to have him in Northland for a ITM season but he want's a return to league.  Good luck to him.

I'm with you.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:51 am

Changing codes is always a risk and needs time to bed in where as Super rugby it is a case
of.Perform at once or get dropped Owen Farrell`s father was a League Great a Union failure
as an example.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:09 am

Benji should have done what JK did when he switched to League, he had a clause that he would be selected to play in the "top side" a minimum number of times (I cant remember the actual number). then again its nothing for a winger to switch between the two codes.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:13 am

Andy Farrell moved too late in his career and he was messed around by Sarries and the RFU... they couldn't decide for a year or two on his best position.

I wouldn't say he was a failure... he was capped by England through merit and was the first choice 12 for the RWC 07... only injury forced his way out of that side. He was a good player come the end but no messiah given his lack of time in the game.

Marshall was mismanaged and its a great shame. People need to have an honest look at players and say... no league player will ever make it as a union 10.

Mat Rogers was the closest and probably the most skilled back ever to come into league.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:45 am

I think Benji at 12 for the Crusaders would've been a better fit. However family probably played a part in his decision to go with the Blues, but not having a strong 10 and a surplus of players in his suited positions meant he was always going to struggle for game time.

My concern is how many potential converts or young union players being offered league contracts will be affected by this well publicized failure. I think this high profile move required more thought and planning as it wasn't just about one player trying to make a go of it. This was a missed opportunity and sadly it could harm the rising fortunes of the Blues in its bid to attract more talent to union in the Auckland region.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:58 am

I'm not sure. Remember Benji was a union player growing up who took a scholorship to play league at Keebra High in Australia. It may mean that players who think I can come back at anytime and play union might think twice.

I listened to an interview with Matt McGahan when he was captain of the Storm under 20 side. Interestingly, he said that there were more ex kiwi union players in the under 20 set up in league than league players. He also said that the issue for union was that no one contacted players and their families until after school finished. For a large number of players they'd already signed league contracts by then.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:01 am

Good points bc. Some strategic thinking from union needs to be made to secure the young talent coming through.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:11 am

I think that was part of the reasoning behind the increased spending in Auckland. Try in contract the kids earlier. Should probably do the same thing in Wellington. I think we lost three possible secondary school players in Wellington to the Storm alone last year (Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Eli Vole and Joe Apikoto - although to be fair I think Vole and Apikoto grew up playing both). The sad thing for me is that league is recruiting players at 15.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down