The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam?

+6
Shotrock
1GrumpyGolfer
Roller_Coaster
Tinmar
Tiler76
McLaren
10 posters

Go down

Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam?

Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam? Vote_lcap67%Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam? Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 14 ]
Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam? Vote_lcap33%Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 21

Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam? Empty Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam?

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:06 am

Can phil join Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods and become the sixth player to capture the career Grand Slam?

Has managed six runners up spots in the one he still needs, the us open.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam? Empty Re: Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam?

Post by Tiler76 Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:13 am

Yes. But I also think Westy and Luke will end their careers as multiple major winners, so you could say I'm an optimist!!

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam? Empty Re: Will Mickelson complete the career grand slam?

Post by Tinmar Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 am

He's obviously got a better chance now than this time a week ago but I still voted no. I think it could just be one of those things.

Of the other greats who won three of the four Majors, Sam Snead was 2nd four times in the US Open, Arnold Palmer was 2nd three times in the PGA while Tom Watson lost a play-off for the PGA after squandering a big lead on the final day.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 am

I just don't think he will.

The one he wants the most will elude him as he tries harder.

Actually hope I'm wrong, but can't see it.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 am

Us opens in the coming years

2014 Pinehurst Resort, Course #2[16]
2015 Chambers Bay
2016 Oakmont Country Club
2017 Erin Hills
2018 Shinnecock Hills Golf Club
2019 Pebble Beach Golf Links
2020 Winged Foot Golf Club

So where does he have a particularly good chance?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:I just don't think he will.

The one he wants the most will elude him as he tries harder.

Actually hope I'm wrong, but can't see it.

I guess he and tiger will be in the same boat from now on then, neither able to win another major.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 am

Phil has 10 top 10's from 20 appearances at the US Open (by my maths).  So form and fitness notwithstanding, it's reasonable to assume he'll be in the mix another couple of times.  Whether he overcomes the mental barrier as age catches up with him who knows.  I hope he does.

Off that list, Shinnecock, PB and WF look on paper better chances to me, but age may be against him there.....

And if he doesn't do it, Snead, Palmer and Watson is some pretty legendary company for Phil.

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:50 am

I think he has a good chance next year unless he pushes too hard. One of his second places came at Pinehurst when Payne Stewart made the putt to win on the final hole.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:15 am

Be great if he did ... but simply given his age (and shorter runway), the odds are not in his favor.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:39 am

Has to be one of the favourites for Pinehurst notwithstanding a dramatic slump (you never know what's round the corner). Chambers Bay is the big unknown as its it's first time on the Major circuit. Obviously has a great affinity with PB but that to me is too distant (will he/can he stay at the top of the game another 6 years??).

On balance I'd say yes, he will either next year or the year after.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 am

Reckon he will now. Personally, I think The Open has been a harder ask for him. He has a fantastic US Open record. Age maybe a bit against now but I wouldn't lay odds against him doing it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:32 am

PLnety of older major winners lately. Cabrera, Clark, Mickelson, Els, no reason why Phil couldn't win a US Open.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:59 am

Yes. I never thought he would win the Open, but he's done that now. The US Open is possibly his "best" major in terms of the way the courses are set up and his career results. He's got 4 or 5 years to do it.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 am

Does any know whether pinehurst number 2 will keep the new scrub waste areas that were restored recently or are they going to find a way to grow the rough up, like we saw at merion?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down