The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Rory the next career slam golfer?

+15
Davie
sharrison01
JDandfries
Diggers
ryan86
Noshankingtonite
Yadsendew
NedB-H
Josiah Maiestas
George1507
Doon the Water
drive4show
super_realist
navyblueshorts
Adam D
19 posters

Go down

Is Rory the next career slam golfer? Empty Is Rory the next career slam golfer?

Post by Adam D Mon 11 Jul 2011, 8:57 pm

Well Gary Player thinks so:

Gary Player knows what Rory McIlroy is facing right now. When he was just 23 years old, he won the first of his nine major championships. Despite a double-bogey to finish the 1959 Open Championship, the South African won his maiden major title.

Some 52 years after the win, Player can still vividly remember and describe his emotions in the days and weeks that followed first obtaining the Claret Jug.

“It was something I could not get over for a week. I was on Cloud 9,” he said in a telephone interview last week.

Player’s victory was not certain, unlike what Rory McIlroy accomplished last month in winning the U.S. Open at Congressional by eight shots.

“I doubled the last hole and I thought I had lost it,” he exclaimed.

“I was the youngest man to win the British Open at that stage – 23 years of age – but you can imagine at 23, winning the Open championship, you’re in a dream world.”

The party Player had – at least as he described it – was probably a little more subdued than what the Ulsterman did to celebrate being the youngest U.S. Open winner since Bobby Jones. But by then, Player had a family, including a 3-month-old daughter and a new trophy as his second child.

“I woke up the next day and I put the trophy next to my wife and I in the bed – to do what I have dreamed, to win the Open Championship, the oldest major, the one steeped in the most history,” he said.

Player conveyed some of that sentiment to young McIlroy after the Ulsterman won at Congressional.

“I phoned him after the Open and he was appreciative, and he’s just a wonderful young man,” he said.

The superlatives Player has for McIlroy, though, go well beyond his pleasant manor. He could see McIlroy becoming one of golf’s greatest champions.

“I think a man like Rory can conceivably be the next Grand Slam winner – if he has the passion and the desire,” Player said. As one of just a handful of men to do it, he has an eye for the talent it takes to tame all four, different majors.

The mental fortitude that Player had to win nine majors was based in the quiet confidence like the kind that McIlroy has.

“I was always optimistic that I could win the Grand Slam,” Player said.

He continued with the praise for McIlroy, saying that the performance at Congressional was a once-in-a-lifetime achievement.

“There’s no telling how good he would be,” he said. “I never thought I would live to see the day when every single U.S. Open record was crushed!”

Tiger Woods in 2000? Didn’t even get a mention. That’s how good Player thought McIlroy’s play was.

“It was mind-boggling, really,” he added.

When Player won his first major, though, he did not take a break until the next one. That was not an option for a professional golfer in that age.

“In those days, we played everything we could because we didn’t have a full schedule like they do today. A tournament, two weeks off, maybe another two tournaments, then three weeks off,” he said.

The money in the sport was a different matter completely in the early stages of Player’s career. Winning drove everything.

“We played because we wanted to be a world champion. That was the big thing we had to do – win major championships,” he said.

McIlroy, who Player described as well-to-do because of his on-course performance and outside-the-ropes marketability, will be like the South African – driven to keep winning for the sake of being a champion.

The Ulsterman will have to learn how to manage being a champion with the rest of his life. He has a girlfriend, a lot of endorsements and a world of fans. McIlroy chose to delve into those aspects of his life as part of his preparation for the Open Championship.

Player, who emphasized the power of the mind and will, said that it was the right call despite doing the opposite in his career.

“If he believes that’s right in his mind, then it’s good. I would not have done that, but everyone’s different,” he said.

Back in the summer of ’59, Player was a 23-year-old kid with a degree from the world and a Claret Jug as his diploma. That win, how he handled it and the lessons he learned from victory and defeat allowed him to become one of golf’s greatest – and most traveled – champions. Looking back on his accomplishment that year at Muirfield and through his career, Player feels incredibly blessed to have had the jounrey he has.

“Little did I know that my name would go on the Claret Jug two more times,” he said.

Maybe Rory will look back saying the same thing in another half-century.

Player said, “It’s been an absolute dream for me and something that I have nothing but appreciation for.”

Source - http://progolftalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/10/gary-player-sees-rory-mcilroy-as-golfs-next-grand-slam-winner/

So do you agree with Mr Player or do you think that someone else will pip him to that accolade? Do you think with the increasing competitiveness of the tour, that it will never be done again?

Lets hear your thoughts please.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Is Rory the next career slam golfer? Empty Re: Is Rory the next career slam golfer?

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm

Not sure we're talking about a career Slam or a proper Grand Slam. If it's career Slam, I'm sure it'll be done again and McIlroy certainly has the ability. As for a 'proper' Grand Slam, it's only be done once and not in the modern era. McIlroy may well be a genuine great but even he'll struggle to complete that particular four card trick.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Is Rory the next career slam golfer? Empty Re: Is Rory the next career slam golfer?

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:11 pm

I'm getting a bit sick of all the Rory hype to be honest, he's got tremendous ability but so far in his career he's only won three tournaments, it's a bit of a stretch to suggest he'll be next to do a career or any other sort of grandslam, he might turn out like MIchael Owen and simply dine out on one achievement for the rest of his career for all we know.

I think we should just let him get on with it, and IF he does what we hope he can do then praise him, but this British predilection of hyping up a player before he's even done anything to justify the hype is often counter productive.

I think I see someone like Mannasero being just as capable, if not better.

Last edited by super_realist on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:11 pm

I think it's a distinct possibility that Rory could do the slam but I certainly don't think we are likely to see a dominant player again. Has everyone raised their games since Tiger's demise? It seems now that every Major is a bit of a free for all. So many potential winners! And so many good young players around the 22/23 and under mark. Day, Rory, Ishikawa, Matteo, Rickieeee.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:13 pm

Player came from miles back to win in 1959.
In those days it was a 36 hole final day on a Saturday.
He had to wait ages to see if he won. If one of three players [Flory Van Donk, Fred Bullock and the great amateur Reid Jack] had broken 40 on the last 9 holes he would have lost.

How do I know?
Cos I was there!
PS. Player was a pretty average golfer in a very poor field. Palmer re-ignited the Opens from 1960

I do agree that Rory will go on the be a multiple Major winner, but not at RSG. I sadly suspect he will be overwhelmed by the media hype

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:13 pm

drive4show wrote:I think it's a distinct possibility that Rory could do the slam but I certainly don't think we are likely to see a dominant player again. Has everyone raised their games since Tiger's demise? It seems now that every Major is a bit of a free for all. So many potential winners! And so many good young players around the 22/23 and under mark. Day, Rory, Ishikawa, Matteo, Rickieeee.

You mean Rickie "flatter to deceive" Fowler who so far has won sweet F.A. He's the weak link in that quintet, by a long, long way.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm

super Laugh

After I started typing, I had brain fade, suddenly dried up and thought "Sheeeeet, what other young pretenders are out there??" Rickieeee sprang to mind but yes, still very much an unknown quantity! I, for one, wouldn't lose any sleep if he came to nothing, not really my cup of tea.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:21 pm

I think he's fairly talented, pretty impressive against Molinari at the Ryder Cup but he's done nothing since and he looks like a complete imbecile on the course, even for an American he's taking lack of style too far, he makes Poulter look like John Steed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:33 pm

I'd say Angel Cabrera is the most likely to be the next to complete a career grand slam. He's won two already, maybe he'll get the third this week.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm

there is far too much global competition for Rory nowadays when Tiger didn't really have much opposition...Ernie and Vijay and some random one hit wonders...pretty unlikely he will run away from the rest as Woods did!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:43 pm

Guy named Phil, Josiah?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:55 pm

super_realist wrote:I think he's fairly talented, pretty impressive against Molinari at the Ryder Cup but he's done nothing since and he looks like a complete imbecile on the course, even for an American he's taking lack of style too far, he makes Poulter look like John Steed.

Super, straight to the point as ever; I suppose that you've got to be pretty accomplished in the weak minded stakes to be considered a 'complete imbecile' as opposed to an incomplete (he's only young) imbecile.

I remember thew days of John Steed (sartorial elegance at its best) and the lovely Purdey, shame about Gareth the Hunt though.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:01 pm

super_realist wrote:I think he's fairly talented, pretty impressive against Molinari at the Ryder Cup but he's done nothing since and he looks like a complete imbecile on the course, even for an American he's taking lack of style too far, he makes Poulter look like John Steed.

Good job he's not carrying too much lumber as well SR; he'd get the full treatment from you then boxing Whistle
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:02 pm

Even the naivity of youth is no excuse to look as absurd as Rickie Fowler, even if he wore normal clothes he'd still have the eyebrows of a Thunderbirds baddy. Ridiculous.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:51 pm

Am I right in thinking that every other active player with different major wins has only two of the four?

Harrington (Open, USPGA)
Els (US, Open)
Singh (Masters, USPGA)
Mickelson (Masters, USPGA)
Cabrera (Masters, US)

I guess we could throw Tom Watson in there, but his chances of winning the USPGA I imagine are very slim. Out of those Mickelson might get it right one week at an Open I guess and then finally get a US Open as well. On the other hand I think he's on the way down. I guess if I was forced to put money on it McIlroy would probably be the player I'd choose, but I wouldn't put much on it.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 12 Jul 2011, 9:51 am

Id put forward Kaymer as a potential slam winner....but only if they decide not to play the Masters at Augusta occasionally.
I still have a feeling though that Kaymer will win more majors than McIlroy, can see him being at the top and consistent for a lot longer.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:18 am

super_realist wrote:...he looks like a complete imbecile on the course, even for an American he's taking lack of style too far, he makes Poulter look like John Steed.

Laugh thumbsup
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:29 am

I am sick of hearing the hype, I can see him winning another major, or maybe even a couple more, but he won't win another US Open, and I doubt he will win The Masters, so I think The Open is his best shot at another one!

Mind you, heaven forbid he wins this week, I don't think i'll be able to take the hype!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:10 am

It does make me laugh when people say things like "we will never see someone dominate like Tiger again" and "maybe no-one will ever win a career slam again." This is just plain rubbish - people will always say this because they like to think that "their era" was the greatest when in reality golf just goes in cycles of dominant players.

The end of players like Woods and Mickelson's careers and the emergence of young players like McIlroy, Mannasero, Fowler and Day is the same as has been always seen. Hogan and Snead made way for Palmer who made way for Jack/Player/Watson who made way for Seve/Faldo/Norman who made way for Tiger/Phil/Ernie etc etc. I know that there are obvious overlaps and this may not be historically completely correct but every time a player or group of players dominate people question whether we will see it again.

McIlroy has the talent and most importantly the head to be a dominant figure - this is why the greats are giving him so much attention. Whether he does it or not relies on many factors but rest assured that if it is not him then another player will do it and we will see a Tiger-style domination again...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

I do wish people would stop talking about Fowler as one of the new breed, so far he's just another Michelle Wie, i.e has done nothing and is all hype.

Rookie of the Year? Don't make me laugh. Shows how insular the Americans are.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

Definitely Fowler to win the slam next I reckon. Superstar in the making.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Diggers wrote:Definitely Fowler to win the slam next I reckon. Superstar in the making.

I'm not biting Diggers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:59 am

Two things can stop Rory being the next career slam holder. THe overealous hyping by the media, and the Augusta National GC.

I could see him winning an Open Championship (but not this year IMO) and I could see him winning a USPGA. For me though, the Masters is (so far) out of his reach with style of play required and the inevitable demons he will face when he returns there. He's conquered the demons already in one respect but you can be sure they'll return next time he drives up Magnolia Way

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:05 pm

Davie, of course he can win The Masters, he was leading with just nine holes to go. He's perfectly capable of winning there given how low he has shot around there and far lesser players than him have won The Masters.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

I'd actually say that Rory has the perfect game for Augusta and a little more experience, which he now has, and he would have already shown that with a green jacket. Long with a nice high draw sounds perfect for Augusta to me...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:14 pm

There is no perfect game for Augusta, no one has ever dominated that particular Major. It's been won by all sorts of player from Bible Basher Johnson to Cabrera and left handers like Weir and Mickelson and so clearly favours no one in particular.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:16 pm

You can hit it as perfect as you like, but if you can't putt, its irrelevant

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

Who can't putt? It wasn't Mcilroys putting that lost him The Masters.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm

No love for Schwartzel then? He's achieved the same as Rory and some. Better short game and a more consistent putter. We've still to see if Rory's new putting form is a streak.

Also, I cant believe the knocks Fowler is taking whilst Ishikawa gets off Scot free. He's done nothing outside Japan. At least Fowler has been in contention a few times.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm

His putting was dreadful all week, and although it wasn't that specifically that cost him it, subconciously he knew he wasnt putting well, and it might have affected him.

Either way, I stand by that he won't win the Masters, or another US Open, unless his putting technique improves - he may even go the way of sergio as he rarely seems to strike it out of the middle of the putter.

The US open maybe was a breakthrough for him, as it seemed better, but he was that far ahead, it wasnt really tested!

An Open is his best bet while he still struggles with the putter!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Tue 12 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

Is Andy Murray the next to win a Grand Slam ?
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Tue 12 Jul 2011, 1:12 pm

I think he could be. Why? Because he's already won the US Open, the one major I didn't see him winning, because of its usually defensive, grinding nature.

I would agree on the overhype, let's wait until he wins 2 or 3 majors before we crown him the successor to Tiger.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

When Rory came out on tour and secured his card in two or three tournaments, everyone was expecting massive things out of him the following year but we didn’t see much from him until Dubai. After Dubai much was said about him breaking the duck and expecting the flood gates to open and we had to wait for Quail hollow before we saw him at this best again (a tournament that he very nearly missed the cut at)….. And again after quail hollow we had to wait another year before his awesome performance at the US Open.

So when he is playing well he is absolutely awesome but he has to learn how to scratch out wins when he hasn’t got his ‘A’ game. So while I absolutely think he can win the British open I am not handing him over the claret jug just yet.

Davie, I really don’t think we need to worry about Rory at the masters, I think a lot of players would have struggled to get “back in the saddle” but the interview he gave after the masters was absolutely superb and with the runner up finish in Malaysia the week and subsequent win in the US open it really looks as if he took just the positives from the Masters and conveniently forgot about the negatives. I certainly couldn’t do that, but Rory seems to have that ability. And lets face it in golf even the world’s best loose more often than they win so having the ability to forget the bad stuff is absolutely massive.

I think Rory will be a multiple major winner and will complete the career grand slam, lets face it he could have won each of the last 4 majors. We can see how good he is now what we don’t know is how good he will eventually become. One thing he has going for him is that his swing is terrific so I can not see him making massive swing changes.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down