The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour: M2M Russian Open

+7
Lairdy
GPB
McLaren
Skydriver
kwinigolfer
Bob_the_Job
SmithersJones
11 posters

Go down

European Tour: M2M Russian Open Empty European Tour: M2M Russian Open

Post by SmithersJones Tue 23 Jul - 23:56

Thanks for all the positive comments about my Open piece last week. I can't promise to do this every week, and some weeks if I do manage to produce something it will be very brief. This week will be one of those, not least because this week's tournament has very little history.

Firstly to sum up the Open. What a great final round from PMick, or FIGJAM as some prefer to call him. If he is that egotistical, it generally isn't exposed to the cameras, though his post-first round interview was a little odd last week. I can only assume he didn't really appreciate how well he'd scored against the rest of the field. He went on to 4 putt the 16th in his 3rd round before compiling what he described as the best round of his life on the Sunday. I don't think anyone could begrudge him the victory, not even staunch Westwood supporters like me who've seen him deny Lee a major with a fantastic final round twice now.

Westwood himself acknowledges that he wasn't really on form at Muirfield, his GIR figure of 56.9% well below his usual standard and also considerably worse than the field average of 60.3%. The fairways hit figures are similarly poor (53.6% against 58.2%). Stenson's figures were 79.2% and 80.4%, Mickelson's 63.9% and 60.7%. Westwood's putting average was a quite brilliant 1.53 putts per hole compared to Phil's 1.62 and the field average of 1.75. If he can muster a top 3 finish with such poor ball striking, he has to believe that if he can get back his best ball striking and still maintain his improvement on and around the greens, any tournament is within his grasp.

Other noteable contenders included Poulter, with a final round almost as inspired as Mickelson's, Stenson with the best tee to green game but a slightly inconsistent putter and Woods, who seems to be there or thereabouts in most majors without ever really threatening to win these days. I think the most impressive performance of the also-rans was Matsuyama, who shrugged off the now seemingly obligatory slow play penalty for a young asian in a major this year to record a top 10 finish in his first Open. His domination of the Japan tour this year should mean this wasn't all that surprising, but it's admirable nonetheless. Much to come from Hideki-san.

So to Russia and this week's necessarily lower key tournament. Tseleevo Golf and Polo Club plays host to the tournament, which has a field that reflects its location, both in the world and the schedule. There aren't too many players from the higher echelons of the OWGR, the most well known names probably being Michael Campbell, JM Singh and the English quartet of Robert Rock, Tom Lewis, Simon Dyson and David Horsey. Another Englishman, Sam Little, won this event's predecessor on the Challenge Tour here in 2011, and he's also in the field this week. There is a former world no. 1 in the field, of course, in the form of Yevgeny Kafelnikov but all he'll be hoping to do is improve on his last place (by 20 or so strokes) in the 2005 edition of this event.

The course is a Nicklaus design, opened in 2008, and is located just outside Moscow. Evidently an oligarch's paradise, it is described as 'ultra-luxury' and boasts its own private ski slope as well as the eponymous golf and polo.

No idea who'll do well, other than perhaps those with Challenge Tour prior knowledge of the course, but sadly it all feels a little bit 'after the Lord Mayor's show', especially with Bridgestone and the USPGA to follow in the coming weeks.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

European Tour: M2M Russian Open Empty Re: European Tour: M2M Russian Open

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 24 Jul - 9:52

SmithersJones wrote:....not least because this week's tournament has very little history.....

History wise, is this not the event where a certain Mr Saltman got himself into a little spot of bother?

Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 24 Jul - 10:36

Thanks Bob, you're right, that was in the Challenge Tour Russian Challenge Cup. I notice there's a separate Challenge Tour event this week in France, which given the strength (or lack of it) of the Russian field must be scraping the barrel for players.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 24 Jul - 12:12

Good stuff Smithers, Thanks.
The same sort of cannibalisation of fields between Moscow and the Challenge Tour that we sometimes criticise the PGA Tour/web.com Tour for. Bloody stupid. Shame there's not a more important tournament this week to continue the momentum from Muirfield before Bridgestone and Oak Hill action.

Meanwhile, Senior British Open is, I see, "open". Unlike the USGA's equivalent which is, invariably, "closed". Should be an entertaining week at Birkdale though, strong field teeing it up.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 24 Jul - 13:35

It's also the Ladies European Masters this week, over in Buckinghamshire. I may head over there to spectate.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 24 Jul - 14:22

Skydriver wrote:It's also the Ladies European Masters this week, over in Buckinghamshire.  I may head over there to spectate.

Woods niece is playing in that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 24 Jul - 19:12

Entire purse in Russia this week is less than what Mickelson won in Scotland.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 25 Jul - 10:04

Kafelinkov in there again...

Hoey having a relatively poor year so far after his big win in 2011 and another win last year. Certainly wouldnt have thought he'd be the type of ET player in this weeks field but good to see him looking to play into a bit of form. Seems to be quite a streaky player.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 25 Jul - 10:23

Incredible that there's not another E.T. event until Gleneagles at the end of August.
By that time there should be quite a number of Europeans and Internationals available to play in Europe who won't have made the FedEx Play-Offs but are exempt for 2013/2014.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 25 Jul - 11:22

Should be a good field then Kwini! I'm hopefully getting a free season pass for the Johnnie Walker (not sure there will be any free JW with it) so looking forward to seeing who turns up. I played the centenary in spring time and birdied the 11th - meaning I will be standing next to the 11th green scornfully snorting my disgust at any pro who doesn't equal my 3.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 25 Jul - 12:09

Good on yer, Lairdy,

As things stand right now, these guys will miss the Play-Offs but still be eligible for next season:
Kaymer
Vijay
Oosthuizen (if fit)
Goosen (if fit)
Yang
Allenby
Weir

plus Americans:
Chad Campbell
LoveIII
Toms

Harrington still not definitely in the Play Offs either.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 25 Jul - 12:42

Challenge tour: young Dutch player Daan Huizing -10 after 15 holes with a par 4-5-4 finish left: could he break 60? He needs -3 as the course is par 72.

I am guessing the Russian thing is OWGR-sponsored, just a little?

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 25 Jul - 13:33

Huizing in with a 61; pleased to see Frittelli playing well again with a 64.

Not all plain sailing in Moscow (sure it must be subsidised, mighty), as Damien McGrane registers a Daly-esque round dozen - a 12 on the par-5 eighth hole.
Unforced errors from Kafelnikov as he gets off to a +7 start in his first three holes; holding serve since then.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 25 Jul - 13:43

I have just checked and it seems this is by far the weakest field ever on the ET: only 9 OWGR rating value points (which would mean it would be awarded an astounishing 8 points for the winner). Should not be accepting these events anymore as surely this will trigger criticism from around the world with regard to subsidizing.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 25 Jul - 13:50

ps a non subsidized field would have needed at least 91 rating points to get to 24 OWGR points, ie more than 10 times as much. Not good at all, although the presence of Mr Kafelnikov brings a smile to my face, again.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 25 Jul - 18:52

I know this is Seniors Open rather than current Euro Tour but great comment from Brian Barnes today! "Freddie has a wonderful touch. Got the meat and two veg out..................that's wedge!"

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 26 Jul - 13:20

Always find it amazing to see Liang's name on so many leaderboards throughout the year. Ok he's not exactly prolific but he does pretty well with that swing of his!

Hoey on his way back today.

Scotland's second (third?) string conjuring up a dismal effort so far.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 27 Jul - 2:28

themightyone wrote:I have just checked and it seems this is by far the weakest field ever on the ET: only 9 OWGR rating value points (which would mean it would be awarded an astounishing 8 points for the winner). Should not be accepting these events anymore as surely this will trigger criticism from around the world with regard to subsidizing.
 Probably correct on all counts... For contrast... The 14 point Web.com event this week has 46 players in the OWGR top-500... compared to 53 top-500 for the 24 point Russia event (19 top-500 in the 12 point Challenge Tour Vaudrueil event)

But on the other hand... the Puerto Rico Alternate event on the PGA Tour this year was a 48 ERV... which would have been a level 16. (but it did have 73 top-500 players). The Sanderson Farms alternate event had 22 ERV... and 64 top-500 players.

IMO the problem is the OWGR hasn't changed it's depth of field criteria in way too long (by going only 200 deep)... Now we have much stronger secondary tours in both America and Europe, not even counting increased depth in South Africa, and Asia. (Japan and Australia I'm not too sure about).

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 28 Jul - 11:47

If the E.T. web-site is to be believed, Michael Hoey has more E.T. wins (4 with possibly another one today) than he has 2nd to 10th place finishes (3).
Would think that's pretty much unprecedented, hope he wins today!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 28 Jul - 15:36

Nice win for Hoey... but not enough to get to the PGA... but he will move up to #136 to low 140's OWGR range depending on the PGAT finishers.

Kwini... good catch on the 5 wins for Hoey. On Morning Drive I thought they said 6... but 5 seems to be correct.

By the way... Kwini... is PD around this week... If not... I could post a quickie OWGR update after play today... but I don't want to step on PD if he's around and planning on doing it.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 28 Jul - 15:52

robo,
Haven't heard from the prince, so no idea.
Looks like some research is necessary as American "Brinson Paolini" won the Challenge Tour event.
Can't even pretend to have heard of him before, but he seems to be a Dukey from Virginia Beach who finished second a couple of weeks ago.
This is becoming a habit.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 28 Jul - 18:12

The prince is not dead yet, but struggling badly with time these days: work, now holidays Cool, then more work...

But still having a peek here and on the LBs every now and then when I get a chance (plus sending the odd tweet)... Great win for Hoey, I guess he badly needed that as he had a new baby recently... Like most people, have no real clue who Paolini is, but he certainly launched his pro career with a bang only 2-3 weeks ago in Switzerland. One small potential 'issue' with him vs European tastes, may be that he seems to bring with him a certain amount of Jesus preaching along with his golfing talents (that's at least judging by some of his tweets)...

robo, please go ahead and post an OWGR update if you feel like (you have 'the tools', I gather...). I certainly won't have time tonight to do it and very probably for the next few weeks. Just a quick note on Hoey, had a quick look and I think he will only jump somewhere around #170-175 and not #130 as you said, you can double check on that...

Happy golfing! I'm off...Run 

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 28 Jul - 18:47

Hi pd,
Happy Hols!

I see Hoey has sneaked ahead of McIlroy as the 3rd ranked NIrish golfer in the R2D . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 28 Jul - 18:52

princedracula wrote:robo, please go ahead and post an OWGR update if you feel like (you have 'the tools', I gather...). I certainly won't have time tonight to do it and very probably for the next few weeks.
OK... I'll post a quickie without commentary... and correct on Hoey... I have him at 1.0294 average after today... when I scanned up the list I musta used 1.294... But I'll sort & Fill properly before I post anything.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down