The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - BMW Italian Open

+10
graeme
Doon the Water
JPX
dynamark
Faldono1fan
sharrison01
venice1
NedB-H
kwinigolfer
Maverick
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

European Tour - BMW Italian Open Empty European Tour - BMW Italian Open

Post by Maverick Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:59 am

So the tour flys out from the shores of britain back to the mainland continent for another BMW sponsored event the Italian Open at the Royal Park Golf & Country Club in turin, so for Francesco Molinari it is literally his home event, and will have the crowds following him in droves.

This is the final showing before the US Open at Congressional so a good time for the guys to see what short of shape their games are in for those that have qualified for the big one next week.

Also this last week the European Tour have awarded Charl Schwartzel with Honourary lifetime membership to the tour, personally speaking I find this a bit of a premature award, it means he has lifetime exemption to the tour and no matter what happens to his form he can play the tour. My question is wha thas he really done to deserve this? Sure he has a few victories on tour and has now since won the masters but does that warrent such an award. After all look at Michael Campbell, he to has tour victories and a US Open but can barely make a cut now, i'm not saying this is the path Charl will walk but it can happen, and would that really be something the tour wants.

Anyway back on thread, last years winner and defending champio Fredrik Anderson-Hed is out of form, top prize here is 250,000 Euros, but if you look at the list of past champions and you happen to be a betting man, you couldn't go far wrong with your money on a british winner here. There are plenty of brits that have taken this title and our guys always seem to do well in this event.

Guys will be looking to drive the ball well and hit plenty GIR in preparation for next weeks US Open as they are the real keys to winning out at Congressional or at any US Open venue.

This week has been a week of mass qualifying for our own Open championship and saw a feast of low scores but another noteable mention to Alex Noren, last Monday secured US open qualification, Sunday victor at Celtic Manor and this Monday secured Open Championship qualification great week for Alex and now a week off.

I'll leave with a small note of 3 noteable other qualifiers for the US Open all US based, one is european the others have links to the event and tour in a family way....

Sergio Garcia (Always worth a mention)
Steve Irwin (not the crocodile hunter, but in fact Hale Irwins son)
Sam Saunders (Arnold Palmers grandson)

Last edited by Maverick on Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:18 am; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : re-posted as sticky)

Maverick

Back to top Go down

European Tour - BMW Italian Open Empty Re: European Tour - BMW Italian Open

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

Another disappointing field, Mav, after last week's similarly poor turn out. Good to see veterans like Montgomerie, DC, Bjorn and McGinley flying their flag though, good for them.
Is the Italian Open not a few weeks later this year than it has been? If so, the European Tour does them no favours with this date.
Time for another young gun to come through following Noren's fine win. Allie Canizares perhaps? Boyd, Parry, Rock?

Cheers Mav.
PS: Was that your team that scored a ridiculously high total last week in the yahoo game?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:06 pm

I'm with you on the lifetime membership Mav. It suggests the Tour hasn't quite woken up to the quality of golf it's producing, despite all its hype. The press release announced that Schwartzel joined the other three current Major champions as an lifetime member. Fair enough that he'd want the same treatment, but if ET members keep on winning 3/4 of the majors every year, they're gonna end up with a hell of a lot of lifetime members clogging up the fields pretty soon! For once the PGA Tour is showing them how it should be done, their Major winners still have to prove their worth to keep their card for longer than the five-year exemption they win. Just ask Hamilton, Micheel, Beem and others.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Another disappointing field, Mav, after last week's similarly poor turn out. Good to see veterans like Montgomerie, DC, Bjorn and McGinley flying their flag though, good for them.
Is the Italian Open not a few weeks later this year than it has been? If so, the European Tour does them no favours with this date.
Time for another young gun to come through following Noren's fine win. Allie Canizares perhaps? Boyd, Parry, Rock?

Cheers Mav.
PS: Was that your team that scored a ridiculously high total last week in the yahoo game?

To answer your questions in Order Kwini. From memory this years italian open is about 5weeks later in the tours schedule than last years and all it has done is harm the field and made it a lesser event than it deserves to be.

The other question about the yahoo league ridiculously high scoring in the Yahoo fantasy league, the answer is yes indeed that was me, a good week that one, had a feeling about those picks and having the tourney winner and other guys in top 10 helped, namely Stricker, Donald, Woodland & Mahan

NED: You've got my point exactly, what is wrong with saying well done for being a major champ here's a 5 year exemption after that your with the rest, instead of giving them a ligetime exemption we could end up with a tour filled of former one time major winners that no longer can compete, im all for rewarding players but in moderation not overdoing it as the ET seem to be, if they say won 3 or 4 majors or a few OOM's and get awarded it as excellent service to the tour etc, but only in specific cases e.g Monty 8 order of merits and then it shouldn't mean they play any and every event but a limited number stipulated by the tour

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:15 pm

Some chaperoning going on in Italy, Matteo stuck with Monty and DC, Pavan with Costantino Rocca!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:46 pm

Mav and Ned,

Agree with both of you concerning lifetime membership. Never knew such a thing existed and on face value it makes the tour look less secure about the rest of its current and future members. What are they afraid of, that Charl will run away to the PGA Tour? And when he obviously accepts the honorary award, will he not be as hungry to make the grade knowing he can get into any tournament until he dies?

The Italian Open will survive but must realize that it's going to have to fight for more respect, an improved and consistent annual date and greater sponsorship support. In the long run it will be better for the event and the ET than if certain perks were granted without a struggle. Italy is just beginning to grasp the game and I think that the new crop of talent has risen because they needed to show determination and greater effort. They have time and weather (and pasta and vino) on their side so patience should take precedence.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 09 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

As I thought in the OP, strong british contingent taking the early running to the course, top of the pile Chris Wood and Robert Rock with a -8, 64. apiece Other Brits in the top 7 include Scott Jamieson, Richie Ramsey and Anthony Wall.

Home crowd favourite and young gun Matteo Manassero has had -6, 66 and honing his game for next week nicely. The queston is though is can Chris Wood finally put 4 rounds together and get over the line

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

Would be great to see Wood win one - he looks a star in the making a season or two ago and I think his career will be only go from strength to strength with a win.

You've gotta love Robert Rock - he always reminds me of tin cup with his unruly hair, sometimes slightly scruffy look and no hat/visor.

Great start from those two but I love watching Manassero's career flourish and win another tour event. If I'm right in thinking, a win this week would be his third professional tour win and all by the age of 18 - it makes you laugh the way that McIlroy is held up on a pedestal while this kid quietly goes about his business of playing good golf.

With the Molinari's and Manassero, Italian golf could see a strong showing over the coming years. Would be great for The Ryder Cup to get them all performing at the top for Europe when it comes to France in 2014 - might improve the crowd atmosphere with some mainland Europeans as the backbone.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:54 pm

Love to see so many young guys up with the leading group, Pavan in with a four under 68 also.

Not much form from Soren Hansen since the taxman caught up with him; even less from Pelle Edberg since breaking out to a fast start in The Open a couple of years ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

Fantastic round by Wood. Starting on the back nine he started with 8 straight pars and then had 6 birdies and an eagle in the last 10 holes! 29 for his last nine holes. Would love to see him win as he is a fellow Bristolian and with Chris Lloyd from The Kendleshire doing well on the challenge tour things are looking up for west country golf.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

Odd news from France on the Challenge Tour -

"Someone went crazy last night and vandalised some of the greens, taking chunks out with a club, but thankfully didn’t affect the play. I think the greenkeeping staff did a very good job of repairing the damage this morning. It’s very sad to see someone doing that on the eve of a tournament."

Gotta be a story in there somewhere.

Agree with Kwini about the young guns accumulating at the top in Italy. Check out the 9 guys at -6 or better:

Rock - 34
Wood - 23
Jamieson - 27
Olesen - 22
Kaleka - 24
Manassero - 18
Luiten - 25
Davies - 26
Cabera-Bello - 27

Surely there can't have been a younger leaderboard than that all season.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm

Wood is stuck between a Rock and a hard drink!

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:47 pm

Would be nice to see Wood bag a title but he needs to have learnt from his miss in the recent event that he capitulated towards the last few holes and he may have a chance, has shown lots of promise now is time for him to step up. McIlroy could learn a lot from young Matteo, unassuming, not flash, not trying to run before he can walk and has a good solid all round game, if he has a weakness it his length off the tee buts he's barely 18 and that will come with strengthening, McIlroys however is his short game and thats a lot more worrying, i'd be willing to be Matteo bags a major before McIlroy

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:55 pm

Mav,

Matteo does seem to have a quiet determination. Liked when he lipped out a 20 footer on one of the latter holes today, not much of a physical reaction but could tell he was simmering inside while he was walking to tap in the miss. But it may be that you're selling Rory a bit short. Somehow I would have to believe he's working on his short game just as hard as the rest and hope to see a breakout tourney soon. No facts to base this on, just a hunch. Good to see the young guys taking charge.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:39 am

Mav,
I posted this on yr thread as you'd been asking about course conditions etc at Congressional.
And I've been trying to get a link to work but perhaps the DC heat has got to the USGA website.
Go on to pagtour.com and you'll find an article under latest news that describes the course superintendent's work and some of the specs he and the USGA have been working to.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 10 Jun 2011, 10:59 am

Praying for Rock to finally get a result.He played his very first pro tournament with us in our proam years ago and it was obvious from his ball striking that he had a bit of class.Always came back when he could even after making the tour,would hang around after and gave a speech about playing in the open.Gave all sorts of gear away to the younger pros,top class TBH.US open next week as well big chance.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

This Gary Boyd is having a good week - on Monday he qualified for the Open and now he's -9 and one off the lead!

Had never heard of him before Monday, anyone know anything about him?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:59 am

JPX,
Hopefully our friend "goldwolf" will come on here and tell you all about Gary Boyd, they play at the same club. He lost in a play-off at the 2010 Czech Open to Peter Hanson, good player but out of form earlier this season.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm

Gary Boyd's a player and from what I can make out a good friend of Poulter constantly tweeting each other. Bit of a slow year fro him so far so needs a good week

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm

Thanks. Noticed he is affiliated to Woburn.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 11 Jun 2011, 7:10 am

Scott Jamieson is blowing hot and cold these days.
Back in 30 on Thurs and 39 on Friday.
He seems to get his fair share of birdies so could be one to watch, good first year.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Sat 11 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

skyplayer is great. i can sit at the till watching golf all afternoon. strangely enough, seeing as it's been pouring since i woke up, town is a tad quiet today.

currently 12 players on -13 or -14. tomorrow's going to be as tight as a...

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 11 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm

4 shots separating the top... 29? Blimey

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Sat 11 Jun 2011, 3:02 pm

rock's now made a move to -16 but the top 30 are on -10 or better.

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:06 am

Making out to be a cracking finish un turin, one of the tighest leader boards i've seen at any event in many a year, be nice to see Rock close out and bag a win been a to quality event so far though only thing that spoiled it was the mugshot of Capello during round 3

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Jun 2011, 12:55 pm

Robert's on the rocks, no Jameson involved. Still THIRTY golfers within five shots of the lead!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 12 Jun 2011, 1:44 pm

David Horsey is only -3 on the par 5s. Everyone else in top 4 and ties is at least -5 with a couple of holes to play and many -7 or more. That is poor scoring on a course like this.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

How good a player is David Horsey?
I know he has a couple of wins but he hasn't really shown much yet in the biggest events. Early days in his career I know, but does he have what it takes to become a top fifty player, maybe better?

Read a US article projecting the 2018 Ryder Cup Teams (upon the appointment of France to host) and Horsey and Olesen were the two surprise choices, quite enlightened I thought from these shores!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 12 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

I'm not sure about Horsey, he was quite an unconvincing winner in Morocco this year. He nearly had a bit of an ring collapse but recovered well to get into the play off and then win it.

He doesn't strike me as Ryder Cup stalwart or a Major winner in the making, but he is a decent ET player. He is only 26, so he is going about things the right way and he played off +5 as an amateur. He could mature into a much better player but at the minute he doesn't seem to be the sort of player who has a 62 in them when the going is good. Perhaps if he sorts these par 5s out he can be haha. He has lost 15-20 yards off his tee stats during his 3 seasons, so perhaps the answer is in there somewhere.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 12 Jun 2011, 4:34 pm

Horsey, never.
Olesen on the other hand, is only 21 and has had two 2nd places so far in this, his first season. Strikes me as being similar to Manassero. Imo the next big European player.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:25 pm

Well done Robert Rock. You could tell he was nervous over the final few holes but a great save on 17 and well deservered, and probably overdue win. And great call before the kickoff, Kwini.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sun 12 Jun 2011, 6:32 pm

Yes but how slow was the final two ball of Rock and Fasth? What will it take for something to done? It was painful viewing, and they had lost well over a hole.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

SJ,
Glad I made a good call - what was it?

Is Rock that slow? He's deathly on the greens but surely not that bad elsewhere, nowhere near as bad as Nicky Slowh who's as slow as anyone I've seen.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:17 pm

Could have been because he was right in the heat but Rock was very slow also, kept backing away all the time.

Fasth by far the worst of them though. Plus he lost it at the end at someone, not sure if it was a photographer, made him back away, then he missed his 5 footers. Made himself look a bit foolish actually.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun 12 Jun 2011, 7:20 pm

JPX wrote:Could have been because he was right in the heat but Rock was very slow also, kept backing away all the time.

Fasth by far the worst of them though. Plus he lost it at the end at someone, not sure if it was a photographer, made him back away, then he missed his 5 footers. Made himself look a bit foolish actually.

He should have offered to putt before Rock, serves him right. Imagine the clamouring around if Rock had holed his 18 footer for birdie.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 12 Jun 2011, 8:51 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

That good call; Boyd T2nd and the winner.

SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:08 pm

Oh well, that was days ago! How do you expect me to remember that??!!

Glad to see them both do well, Gary Boyd to cheer goldwolf up and Rock because he seems to have got a new lease of life with a different caddie! Where has the spiderman wannabe gone I wonder?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:14 pm

He has gone to caddie for Webster Kwini....

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:20 pm

Thanks benson, Wonder if he still lies on the green??!!
Webster really needs his season to get going . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Sun 12 Jun 2011, 9:45 pm

Was very impressed with Boyd, he looks a good player and wouldn't be surprised if he got a win before the seasons out, showed some guts with those putts towards the end of the round. I actually found myself pulling for him in the end as Rock was painfully slow - and he had a massive piece of good fortune with his 2nd on 17, hit the groung and a tree and landed up in the middle of the fairway!!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:49 pm

Great final round from Oleson definately not letting the more experienced guys over shadow him in his debut season, great to see Rock finally close one out aftr 9years of being on our, he goes about his business queitly and plays a hell of a lot of events. Though it's never good to hear about slow play in any event but I believe this now bags him his first chance at playing the US Open i maybe wrong there though will have to check facts on that one. Also not often these days you see someone lead wire to wire especially cosidering how many guys were in contention for this title

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm

Mav,
RR is qualified already for Congressional (and obviously for RStG also).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:05 pm

Intersting that Kwini because I though RR was in Congressional, I was aware of RSG but the should i mention it on here BBC website said he was in at Congressonal through the virtue of todays victory, it made me rethink his qualification and just checked again myself to confirm i wasn't going mad

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:12 pm

Today's win has nothing to do with it!!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:44 pm

Sounds like typical bbc poor reporting then, thanks for clearing it up though kwini

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:53 pm

Just to confirm I'm not going mad here is the opening few lines of the bbc's. Post tourney report

"Robert Rock ended his nine-year wait for a first European Tour title with victory at the Italian Open in Turin.

The Englishman, who held the lead from the first day, carded a final-round five-under 67 to finish on -21 overall.

Compatriot Gary Boyd holed eight birdies in a blistering round of 66 to finish one shot behind Rock alongside Denmark's Thorbjorn Olesen.

The victory means Rock has qualified to play in next week's US Open for the first time in his career."

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:06 am

Mav,
USGA records state that Rock qualified via US Open Sectional Qualifying behind Colsaerts , Lowry (been there, done that), Lafeber, Levet. At Sunningdale?

The only way he could have qualified via today's result would be via the owgr top fifty. Please tell the Beeb that Rock will advance to about #105, dependant upon other results around the world.

RR played superbly at last year's Open, don't see any reason why he shouldn't repeat that trick this year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:23 am

kwinigolfer wrote:

RR played superbly at last year's Open, don't see any reason why he shouldn't repeat that trick this year.

He was very good in Ireland when he narrowly lost out to then amateur Shane Lowry in tough links conditions, so it wasn't a one off last year, he has the game for it and appears to have found some form at a very good time of year.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:17 am

Just goes to show whoever is writing these stories for the beeb really is clueless. No matter how he qualified its good that he did, he has had a couple of really good showings on the links so a good punt for a top 10

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:32 am

A sign of how deep Camilo's slump had become - even with a 3rd place finish, he only climbs back up to 64 in the owgr. One shot ahead of Anthony Kim.

Mav,
I wrote a note on Iain Carter's blog recommending they consult 606v2 for any further clarification - does the fact that the mods haven't deleted my comment reflect no-one cares there anymore, or just that no-one reads it? I suspect both.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next