The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Ashes test Old Trafford

+39
JamesLincs
andyi
subhranshu.kumar.5
ChequeredJersey
TheCultOfPersonality
Scrumpy
CaledonianCraig
Mad for Chelsea
hodge
dyrewolfe
Gerry SA
trebellbobaggins
LivinginItaly
jimbohammers
NickisBHAFC
Cowshot
VTR
Stella
ShankyCricket
KP_fan
Dorothy_Mantooth
mystiroakey
liverbnz
LondonTiger
gboycottnut
Shelsey93
msp83
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
Hoggy_Bear
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
Mike Selig
Duty281
kingraf
GSC
dummy_half
hampo17
guildfordbat
43 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

3rd Ashes test Old Trafford - Page 14 Empty 3rd Ashes test Old Trafford

Post by Guest Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

SQUAD

Squad Alastair Cook (capt), Joe Root, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Jonny Bairstow, James Taylor, Matt Prior, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Chris Tremlett, Monty Panesar

Back to top Go down

3rd Ashes test Old Trafford - Page 14 Empty Re: 3rd Ashes test Old Trafford

Post by guildfordbat Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:14 pm

alfie wrote:

I get your point , guildford.  But isn't that rather choosing your referral based on the batsman who is in and how desperate you are for a wicket ?  Which is more or less what got them into trouble with reviews at Trent Bridge...

Have to say I didn't think it looked out originally - thought it marginal at best , though obviously Hawkeye says I'm wrong Smile 

Not sure I totally trust Hawkeye when the ball still has that far to travel. devil 
I get your point too, Alfie. Clarke referring this was clearly going to be a risk but one I felt worth taking in view of (a) the potential scalp and (b) Australia being well on top. Australia are unlikely to have too many chances to get Pietersen out before he saves the follow on which very much influences my reasoning on this one. Very different circumstances from Trent Bridge. The best time to place a bet is not when you're desperate for cash but when you can afford to lose your stake and a win is a lovely bonus.

Agree with you about not trusting Hawkeye when the ball still has so far to travel. Hence, my banging on about there should be different DRS criteria depending upon whether the batsman is back on his stumps or 5 yeards down the track!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:17 pm

msp83 wrote:Ian Bell has out scored Kevin Pietersen in this partnership as of now!.

Not a massive surprise, Bells in the form of his life, KPs struggled a bit recently after a long break.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Duty281 wrote:I'd still be backing England for victory here, but for the atrocious weather. Still, I won't complain at a draw.

Bell gone. Good luck with that.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:22 pm

oh for gods sake.

just as the people on the bbc start talking about the form of his life.

stop talking people up and cursing them you stupid bbc people.

well that's the game then. well short of the follow up.  They've fought a bit but it's almost more gutting looking like you might actually battle through and then crashing than just getting skittled early.

2-1 then.  No hope of your 3-0 doody.

aussie made this one look easy.  Scoreboard pressure hurts players, especially when they are a nervous team struggling with the bat.

I think people will be more honest in their assessment of the two teams now.  Well matched and either can win the series.  all depends on the remaining tosses.  aussie win 2 they win the ashes, Eng grab one and they can hold on.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Harris is the difference.  Best bowler in the last two matches and has swung the Ashes back for Aussie now.

Pick him at home and they will retain them there too.

And without question Clarke is the best batsman out of either side by some margin. Gives them such an edge when he fires.  Class of his own. So best seamer, best batsmen in this macth.. easy to see why they've got this one in the bag.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:32 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:oh for gods sake.

just as the people on the bbc start talking about the form of his life.

stop talking people up and cursing them you stupid bbc people.

well that's the game then. well short of the follow up.  They've fought a bit but it's almost more gutting looking like you might actually battle through and then crashing than just getting skittled early.

2-1 then.  No hope of your 3-0 doody.

aussie made this one look easy.  Scoreboard pressure hurts players, especially when they are a nervous team struggling with the bat.

I think people will be more honest in their assessment of the two teams now.  Well matched and either can win the series.  all depends on the remaining tosses.  aussie win 2 they win the ashes, Eng grab one and they can hold on.

Trebbs kiss kiss kiss kiss 

deffo back

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:33 pm

well no just being honest Roakes.

England are not as good as some think and we've known since the UAE they can't bat for Poopie when the pressure is on.

They can be a good side but they're in Aussies class, not above it and were always going to lose some to them.  Not being silly, just knew this was coming.

I still think eng can retain as long as the coin toss goes their way but any more chasing of big totals will expose their batting worries every time.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:35 pm

Even if Australia does bowl England for less than 328, is imposing the follow on a good idea?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:36 pm

With the weather around, and the series at 2-0, I think Aus would have to roll the dice and put us back in.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:36 pm

definitely.  pressure will bring the win.

the captain isn't in form with the bat so can't get them out of this one.  he's been well beaten by Clarke this time.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:37 pm

i would allways impose and i think aus are the type that would if there were confident in there play. however they surely arnt that confident in there play so I really dont know.. I know that england wouldnt in the reverse situation

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:39 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:well no just being honest Roakes.

England are not as good as some think and we've known since the UAE they can't bat for Poopie when the pressure is on.

They can be a good side but they're in Aussies class, not above it and were always going to lose some to them.  Not being silly, just knew this was coming.

I still think eng can retain as long as the coin toss goes their way but any more chasing of big totals will expose their batting worries every time.

Spot on, Duty and others have completely overrated our batsmen. They do not have the discipline or the toughness in these situations.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:41 pm

a curse of English sport.  The talent can be there but not the mental toughness.

when we get a Wilkinson or Wiggins type who's tough as hell it stands out because they're an exception.

and Bairstow looks totally outclassed out there sadly.  these boys can't cope with the pressure, pressure is all it is.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:42 pm

I cant wait to laff at your comments at the end of play hood!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Im not concerned, i recon it will end as a draw. Good to see KP batting superbly well.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:43 pm

I cant believe a country that used to rely on Nick Knight and Graeme Hick is claiming this bunch to be "poopie"
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Hood83 wrote:

Spot on, Duty and others have completely overrated our batsmen. They do not have the discipline or the toughness in these situations.

Laugh Laugh Laugh 

Were you out for the last 3 Tests of the Indian series? Or maybe during the second innings of the first test in this series? Get a grip.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:44 pm

kingraf wrote:I cant believe a country that used to rely on Nick Knight and Graeme Hick is claiming this bunch to be "poopie"

There's no middle ground it seems with most England fans. We're either the best in the world, or absolute Poopie.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:45 pm

but the pressure wasn't coming from the bowlers.

Put Pakistan, SA, these guys or even NZ's bowlers against us and we look like a team who need a lot of work in the batting dept.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Now I , like roakey , suspect this is at least partly the Old Trebell talking. Smile 

However : I have never subscribed to the view that this series was over before it started. I don't think this is a very good Australian team - the batting is very ordinary , and highly dependent on Clarke. But they will always fight very hard for the Ashes , and England are still rejigging their batting order a bit.
I expected an England win - still do , but I also thought Australia might well win a Test at least.
Not that they have won this one yet ! Still fifteen wickets to take ...

Incidentally I don't think the follow on is the be all and end all here. Even if England avoid it , they could still be in danger on the last day , weather permitting ; while if the pitch stays reasonably true following on wouldn't automatically be a death sentence...bowlers might be a bit weary second time around...

Not even thinking about the return series in Australia yet .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Duty281 wrote:
kingraf wrote:I cant believe a country that used to rely on Nick Knight and Graeme Hick is claiming this bunch to be "poopie"

There's no middle ground it seems with most England fans. We're either the best in the world, or absolute Poopie.

That's the annoying thing.  They can bat and they can bat well but they seem to lose their heads.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Hundred for KP Bubbly 

Brilliant.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Another of those and his team could still be in this.  Big congrats playing like that under such pressure.

Alfie.. yes you were one of the few being very positive about Aussie and their talent because you see it all the time.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Hundred for KP. clap clap 

Fantastic innings, I suppose his critics and detractors will ignore this innings? England sailing into calm waters.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Very well played 100 for KP. Need him to go on a bit longer and get us close to Aus
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Alfie makes a good point about the follow on.  It can't be a teams focus as you need a hell of a lot more to be in this one.  Eng will know that of course.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:50 pm

target 400 min- and draw is on. bat a session tommorow and its wrapped up

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Gary Ballance made another ton in the County Championship yesterday for Yorkshire. That'll probably equate to more pressure on Bairstow; he needs a good innings here for his country.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:01 pm

I wouldn't say I have been very positive about Australian talent , trebs ; because I actually think it is in short supply right now. Hence why there are some rather ordinary batsmen in particular getting a lot of games...
But I do have a healthy respect for the fighting spirit that most Australian teams bring to an Ashes series...these matches mean a lot to people here , and I didn't expect them to cave in without a fight.
As I say , I am still expecting an England series win. But I never expected 5-0. Unless something happened to Clarke.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:04 pm

69 to avoid the follow on. Would be a pretty decent collapse from here. Something in the pitch to keep Swann interested if England can get near Australis total.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:06 pm

Duty281 wrote:Gary Ballance made another ton in the County Championship yesterday for Yorkshire. That'll probably equate to more pressure on Bairstow; he needs a good innings here for his country.

Bairstow always seems to be playing under pressure...team , or for his spot. Which is fair enough - an England Cap shouldn't come easily !
But I do like the way he plays , flaws in his game notwithstanding . His efforts against SA last year won me...

I hope he succeeds here.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:07 pm

More immediate pressure is Taylors 100 against Aus I suspect.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:11 pm

bairstow has done nothing wrong imo. He is slowing getting better and better- His place is earnt and he is learning a lot- I think he is one of those players that will just creep up on us and before we know it we wouldnt dream of dropping him..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Duty281 wrote:

Copycat
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Its bell keeping taylor out!

no one would have expected this form..

Bairstow is doing enough to keep his place, root has done enough.

cook, kp,prior and trott are undroppable..

People whinge about our batting- but the fact is they shouldnt. Its good

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Bairstow's gone, and England will teeter once more.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:37 pm

51 runs needed.

Players have had far less chances than Bairstow has wasted.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:49 pm

He has been getting 20-70's the last 7 innings or something- i think that is ok for a new lad in..

But then I suppose we may be passed the point of that being good enough. Especially when we have taylor knocking.

It would have been simple if bell had struggled again.

But all the same I very happy with and for bell.

Its a good position to be in really. A decent problem

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 pm

There goes the test.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Clarke has rotated his bowlers well. He has an advantage over England in that Watson can bowl serious overs , which reduces the pressure on his strike bowlers. And Watson has bowled well here.
Of course he only has Lyon , very much a poor man's Swann...

Plus of course it is easier to keep pressure on the batsmen when you have already made 527 Smile 

Whatever , it has meant England have never been able to play freely (except for a bit of the Bell/Pietersen stand ). So they are still playing catch up...

Contrary to some comments on this thread , England batsmen have actually shown a fair bit of grit in this situation today. It may not be enough to save them...but I don't think they deserve to be damned for their efforts.

KP gone so it is getting very fraught now...

Fine innings clap ...but he will be unhappy at getting out now !

Australia will be confident ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:54 pm

A fine innings from Kevin Pietersen comes to an end. LBW to Starc, KP reviewed it, but the pitching on line umpire's call and hitting so he has to go.
But a fine effort from KP.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Starc looking like he is to put in a Man of the match performance. Something I desperately dont want as I put £5 on Michael Clarke at 11/1
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:55 pm

There goes KP...

48 runs to avoid the follow on.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Hood83 wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh 

Were you out for the last 3 Tests of the Indian series? Or maybe during the second innings of the first test in this series? Get a grip.

3-0 eh Duty, England to have won with good weather?...get a grip indeed. Unfortunately that sort of horrendous arrogance is far too prevalent.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Broad is fighting with the bat though -360 still possible.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Duty281 wrote:Bairstow's gone, and England will teeter once more.

Oh riiiight, now we've taken the rose-tinted glasses off eh? 2-1 thanks to guess what - some very average batting on a road but under pressure.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:59 pm

it will be 2-0 Hoody

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Hoggy_Bear wrote:There goes the test.

Steady on Hoggy ! Way to go yet , even if the Great British Weather doesn't come to the party.

Certainly this session has gone well for Australia , but their bowlers have been made to work hard : and there are still thirteen wickets to take...

Concerned , but not giving up yet .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:03 pm

alfie wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:There goes the test.

Steady on Hoggy !   Way to go yet , even if the Great British Weather doesn't come to the party.

Certainly this session has gone well for Australia , but their bowlers have been made to work hard : and there are still thirteen wickets to take...

Concerned , but not giving up yet .

Yeah, you're right. Ton from Prior (he owes the team some runs), 50s from Broad and Swann.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:05 pm

kingraf wrote:Starc looking like he is to put in a Man of the match performance. Something I desperately dont want as I put £5 on Michael Clarke at 11/1

Chill , kingraf Smile 

Starc will need a lot of wickets along with his frisky late innings sixty odd to trump Clarkes's innings ! Reckon your money is safe...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next