The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

books that should be made into films

+5
rIck_dAgless
Galted
Fists of Fury
TRUSSMAN66
welshy824 (new)
9 posters

Go down

books that should be made into films Empty books that should be made into films

Post by welshy824 (new) Thu 08 Aug 2013, 10:50 am

many times while reading books this thought crosses my mind, so what are your opinions on books that would make good films?

my top 3
Sharpe

while the tv series was ok, I feel that the books were never done justice and that if they were made into films with a proper budget then it could be superb

Emperor series by conn iggeudlduen (sp)

reading this trilogy of how Julius Ceasar came to be is a brilliant read for fans of historical novels and could really become a great series of movies

Uthred of Bebanburg- By Bernard Cornwell

absolutely fantastic series depicting the life of a northern warrior raised by danes in the time of Alfred the Great- again this could become a real gritty movie series in the form of a gladiator/king arthurt style movie

so what books do you think could make good movies and if you have read any of the books mentioned above, do you agree?

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

books that should be made into films Empty Re: books that should be made into films

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 11:25 am

Bernard Cornwell's estate loves you Mate.........

Sharpe is a problem.........I think Bean nailed it........and it won't sell in America.........

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

books that should be made into films Empty Re: books that should be made into films

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 08 Aug 2013, 11:52 am

Welshy, spot on re: Conn Iggulden.

Terrific series of books - in fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Genghis Khan set is even better than Caesar, though it's extremely close. Might read them again...

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Aug 2013, 11:53 am

The Hap Collins and Leonard Pine series by Joe Lansdale
The Matt Scudder series by Lawrence Block
The Religion by Tim Willocks (and the sequel "The twelve Children of Paris")
Green River Rising by Tim Willocks
Fup by Jm Dodge
The Milo and Sughrue series by James Crumley

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 08 Aug 2013, 11:57 am

Setting Free The Bears by John Irving now that CGI exists.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 08 Aug 2013, 12:00 pm

Weirdstone of Brisingamen
Moon of Gomrath

both by Alan Garner and would have thought they would have been a shoe in

as DAVE mentioned yesterday the "Necroscope" series is a good shoult also

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:03 pm

I read a Dean Koontz book called "CHASE" about a returning Vietnam war hero who stops a masked serial killer murdering his latest victim........Killer gets away and then starts phoning him up taunting him and threatening him........The vietnam vet says bring it and they are both trying to take the other one down........

Garbage ending like in most Koontz books but enthralling while it lasted

You won't be disappointed..make a great film too..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 08 Aug 2013, 1:54 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
The Religion by Tim Willocks

I am reading that at the moment, Dave.  Enjoying it but some of his writing is incredibly pompous.  He takes about 2 pages using words that Stephen Fry hasn't even heard of just to say someones head has been cut off.  I swear that book could be cut by a third if he wasn't so busy stroking himself over his command of the English language.

Could be an excellent film though in the hands of the right person.  So long as Russell Crowe or Orlando Bloom doesn't play Tannhauser.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:05 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Welshy, spot on re: Conn Iggulden.

Terrific series of books - in fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Genghis Khan set is even better than Caesar, though it's extremely close. Might read them again...

ah yes the Genghis khan ones I have read are also brilliant, either would make a good movie to be fair, it would be good to have a historical war film rather than these new cyber robot taking over world we are going to invent bigger robots who get attacked by alien things who want to use Earth as their new home etc

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:19 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
I am reading that at the moment, Dave.  Enjoying it but some of his writing is incredibly pompous.  He takes about 2 pages using words that Stephen Fry hasn't even heard of just to say someones head has been cut off.  I swear that book could be cut by a third if he wasn't so busy stroking himself over his command of the English language.

Could be an excellent film though in the hands of the right person.  So long as Russell Crowe or Orlando Bloom doesn't play Tannhauser.
I thought Hugh Jackman would be perfect!!!!!!

However, if you've seen "Ironclad" with James Purfoy as a Knights Templar, you could also consider him for the role.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:35 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

However, if you've seen "Ironclad" with James Purfoy as a Knights Templar, you could also consider him for the role.
Jackman......mad 

I haven't seen Ironclad but I do like James Purefoy. I thought he was the best thing in The Following (if you saw that TV series?)

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:43 pm

welshy824 (new) wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Welshy, spot on re: Conn Iggulden.

ah yes the Genghis khan ones I have read are also brilliant, either would make a good movie to be fair, it would be good to have a historical war film rather than these new cyber robot taking over world we are going to invent bigger robots who get attacked by alien things who want to use Earth as their new home etc
Amen to that.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:46 pm

haha just seen this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conn_Iggulden#Historical_fiction

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Aug 2013, 2:52 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Jackman......mad 

I haven't seen Ironclad but I do like James Purefoy.  I thought he was the best thing in The Following (if you saw that TV series?)
Started watching "The Following" and was enjoying it up until the point where they missed an ooportunity to kill Kevin Bacon as his early death would spoil Purfoy's plan (stupid cliche) IMO he went from criminal mastermind to idiot in about five seconds and I predict bad things for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Aug 2013, 11:43 am

PALE HORSE COMING by Stephen Hunter.

Get Josh Brolin in as Earl Swagger and you have a sure fire hit on your hands

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 09 Aug 2013, 11:46 am

'Devil in the White City' by Erik Larson would make an excellent film, with parallel storylines.

Apparently DiCaprio bought the rights to it a few years ago, but is yet to move forward with it.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 09 Aug 2013, 12:05 pm

There is a boxing book called Year of the Locust which is excellent which Paddy Considine has bought the rights to. Am looking forward to this enormously. Paddy is a huge boxing fan so should make a cracking job of what is a fascinating story.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 09 Aug 2013, 12:18 pm

It's a shame the film version of Magnus Mills' The Restraint of Beasts has been on hold for so long.

From Wikipedia

In 2006, Pawel Pawlikowski directed a film adaptation starring Rhys Ifans, Ben Whishaw, Eddie Marsan, and Warren Clarke but it was suspended in mid-production when the director's wife fell seriously ill and died. In 2010, he said "We'd shot 60% of the film when I had to stop. The material looks great, like nothing I've ever done or even seen before. It could have been really great, definitely original."

That would make a great dark comedy, but I guess it will never be finished.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Aug 2013, 1:38 pm

I would like to see Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch recreated on the big screen, although I was disappointed with Clint Eastwood's interpretation of Connelly's book Bloodwork.  Fortunately this wasn't a story relating to Bosch - one of my favourite fictional characters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down