The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I love him but...

+7
Liam
kingraf
Hero
Dolphin Ziggler
MetalMotty
Crimey
Dr Gregory House MD
11 posters

Go down

I love him but... Empty I love him but...

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 12 Aug 2013, 12:22 pm

Afternoon all,

The inspiration for this thread comes from yesterday when I was thinking about CM Punk (as is my want), now I think Punk is one of, if not the greatest of his generation. But his moveset, particularly his signature moves and finishers, really bug me.

The GTS, is much sloppier than KENTAs, often fails to connect and I just find it underwhelming all round

The Savage Elbow, it's all in the name isn't it, he's chosen a move that draws instant comparison to one of the smoothest workers ever, and by contrast Punk's will always look a bit sloppy

Finally the Anaconda Vice, nothing wrong with the move per-say, but it brings up one of the real issues I have with some submission, it looks pretty cool, but there's no struggle, the opponents face is obscured so he can't sell it, and instead of the dramatic drag/crawl to the ropes or fight out of the hold, it inevitably ends with some silly crab walk to the ropes, not the most exciting of submission escapes

So my point, and the point of this thread really, love Punk but if I had to name one thing that lets him down is his sloppy signature and finishing moves, so if there is one niggling issue that you have with your favourites, however big or small, I look forward to hearing from you.

Greg thumbsup

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

I love him but... Empty Re: I love him but...

Post by Crimey Mon 12 Aug 2013, 1:27 pm

Daniel Bryan and the diving headbutt.

I don't understand why uses this move, most importantly it is dangerous, that is documented, it's not a move that should be done as we have seen the damage it can contribute to.

Less importantly, it looks terrible. It's a rubbish move which looks like it hurts the person doing it more than the person having it done to them. To do such a terrible move, with known dangerous consequences, seems a bit mad to me.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 12 Aug 2013, 1:28 pm

Crimey wrote:Daniel Bryan and the diving headbutt.

I don't understand why uses this move, most importantly it is dangerous, that is documented, it's not a move that should be done as we have seen the damage it can contribute to.

Less importantly, it looks terrible. It's a rubbish move which looks like it hurts the person doing it more than the person having it done to them. To do such a terrible move, with known dangerous consequences, seems a bit mad to me.
Could not agree with this more, good shout Crimey

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalMotty Mon 12 Aug 2013, 2:57 pm

was gonna say the lebell lock and diving headbutt too many similarities to Benoit.
wasnt there a thread discussing this, and most people went with shinning wizzard or backstabber

Have to say the GTS is one of the worst finishers out there. Its a shame cause punk is such a star.

Sometimes you have to go back to basics, doesnt have to be a outlandish or specatular finish. Look at Austin Aries, he does the brainbuster thats been a move used for 15 years as a regular move. Think Al Snows snow plow was a version.

Could Punk not go back to the pepsi plunge or is it still the unwritten rule you cant use other wrestlers moves?

Last edited by MetalMotty on Mon 12 Aug 2013, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

MetalMotty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon 12 Aug 2013, 3:00 pm

I hadn't intended this thread to be all about moves, just the little things that bugged you in great wrestlers you otherwise loved.

I think the absence of the Plunge is 3 fold,

1) It's a flashier version of one of their elite stars moves
2) It's dangerous
3) It's incredibly convoluted to set up

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalMotty Mon 12 Aug 2013, 3:21 pm

you make a good point, it would probably be on the banned list. have seen a few videos where it has gone wrong

MetalMotty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 12 Aug 2013, 4:15 pm

Bryan's finishers annoy me, as well as the way he seems to have given up on being a master of submissions. 

Jericho's losing streak and inability to remember what his own finisher is.

Ziggler not doing the superkick.

Lesnar's voice

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalMotty Mon 12 Aug 2013, 4:17 pm

Ziggler is a strange one, cant seem to choose a finisher just seems to have a mix of signature moves. eg the sleeper

MetalMotty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 12 Aug 2013, 4:34 pm

Austin Aries - Nothing he does looks like it hurts.

Samoa Joe - Seems too happy to meander

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 12 Aug 2013, 4:59 pm

Dean Ambrose's hair.
Just sort it out please.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 12 Aug 2013, 5:31 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Lesnar's voice
This would annoy me a lot more if I actually spoke a lot, I think Lesnar having a stupid voice has played into his favour as it means he very rarely cuts promos only further adding to the mystique.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 12 Aug 2013, 5:51 pm

The cage match. The "pain" he was in. The whining to Heyman. Urgh

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 12 Aug 2013, 6:02 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:The cage match. The "pain" he was in. The whining to Heyman. Urgh
I liked that.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 12 Aug 2013, 6:26 pm

Big E Langston's "surburb" style of speech. This doesnt actually annoy me at all, but when he does inevitably get a push, its almost certainly going to be using a stereotypical gimmick, and his speech patterns will kill him... if the XXXL Hawaii shirts dont do it first.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 12 Aug 2013, 7:20 pm

See I like the GTS. Yes, he doesn't always connect with it, put picking someone up, letting them drop and smashing your knee into their face in mid air is pretty badass to me anyway.

I like the GTS, its not about the man selling it, Punk sells it himself with his facial expressions, as it always looks like he's holding it in as tight as possible.

On Ziggler, he needs to use the super kick more often and make it his own. Yes he'll get compared more to HBK, but, its a move that has the surprise factor which can make a match so much more exiting. RKO is another example, not many better moves when it comes out of nowhere.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 12 Aug 2013, 7:30 pm

kingraf wrote:Big E Langston's "surburb" style of speech. This doesnt actually annoy me at all, but when he does inevitably get a push, its almost certainly going to be using a stereotypical gimmick, and his speech patterns will kill him... if the XXXL Hawaii shirts dont do it first.
He hasnt got, well hasnt been forced towards, the vocabulary and diction of the PTP's luckily. He looks like he would bring back the Nation. The shirts definitely make him look like a cop who is just 1 day from retirement

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 12 Aug 2013, 8:45 pm

The ghetto/urban gimmick is a hospital pass from the 'E and its shocking how often they keep reviving it. Eddie Guerrero is the only wrestler who made it work and he needed a ridiculous amount of Low riders.

PS - Yes, Cena did have an urban gimmick, but that was dropped as soon as he needed to be taken seriously
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 12 Aug 2013, 8:47 pm

The ghetto/urban gimmick is a hospital pass from the 'E and its shocking how often they keep reviving it. Eddie Guerrero is the only wrestler who made it work and he needed a ridiculous amount of Low riders.

PS - Yes, Cena did have an urban gimmick, but that was dropped as soon as he needed to be taken seriously.

Would also take away the pot-smoking from RVD. The only reason he never became the face of any company is because Mr. Monday Night is also Mr. 4:20, hardly the guy you want leading the company. I dont even smoke the damn thing, which might have enabled me to sympathise with him
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara Tue 13 Aug 2013, 12:08 pm

Hero wrote:Dean Ambrose's hair.
Just sort it out please.
Really? I kinda like the new cut....unless there is a different look on RAW I haven't seen yet

Sara

http://www.twitter.com/SaraLouP

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 13 Aug 2013, 12:17 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:He looks like he would bring back the Nation
That's a great ide tbh, you could have him, PTP's, ezekial jackson (if he's even still around) and maybe another guy.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:19 pm

what i always had issues with was when favourite technical wrestlers have the personality of a brick, Lance Storm and Shelton Benjamin's matches are p awesome but their mic work is too weak

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Wed 14 Aug 2013, 4:57 pm

gcBlues wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:He looks like he would bring back the Nation
That's a great ide tbh, you could have him, PTP's, ezekial jackson (if he's even still around) and maybe another guy.
Uhaa Nation should be that guy.

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down