The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Test - Oval, Weds 21st August

+36
TRUSSMAN66
mystiroakey
Biltong
NickisBHAFC
Galted
hampo17
Gerry SA
teassoc
Mad for Chelsea
Dorothy_Mantooth
CaledonianCraig
Stella
robbo277
sirfredperry
JDizzle
LOVERBOY
Liam
Corporalhumblebucket
KP_fan
banbrotam
Fists of Fury
ShankyCricket
alfie
GSC
dummy_half
DouglasJardinesbox
Gregers
jimbohammers
subhranshu.kumar.5
msp83
trebellbobaggins
Good Golly I'm Olly
VTR
Hoggy_Bear
Duty281
LondonTiger
40 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

5th Test - Oval, Weds 21st August - Page 15 Empty 5th Test - Oval, Weds 21st August

Post by LondonTiger Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

With England having won the series, I wonder what changes we will see to the teams.

England
The batting, barring Ian Bell, is misfiring. Too many times batsmen are getting in, but getting out for cameo scores. Prior is struggling a little with bat and gloves, but as the new boy and without a big innings, Jonny Bairstow is most at risk.
The wickets have been shared amongst the bowlers. Onions was unlucky to miss out at Chester-le-Street, but having now broken a finger is ruled out for two weeks. Monty's well publicised indiscretion will not endear him to the management and Steven Finn will probably be left to regain form and confidence with Middlesex. On his own ground, Chris Tremlett may get a run out, especially if they feel that Anderson or Broad need a rest.

all in all I suspect that changes are unlikely.

Australia
The good news is that they may have found an opening pair. The bad news is that the middle order is desperately fragile unless skipper Clarke scores runs. Khawaja and Smith are both batting at least two positions too high and unless he is able to bowl, Shane Watson looks a waste of a spot. Possible chances of recalls for Hughes or Cowan at 3 - and consideration has to be given to Faulkner lower down as an all-rounder.
Bowling has stood up well, but in another horses for course selection we may well see Starc replace Bird. Australia will be desperate for Harris to stay fit.

England have not played very well so far, especially the batters, yet are 3-0 up. Australia have shown they can compete but seem unable to win, even against a faltering team. If England can actually play well we could see a real thumping, but the money men at Ca will hope their team can sneak a win to create interest for the return series.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

5th Test - Oval, Weds 21st August - Page 15 Empty Re: 5th Test - Oval, Weds 21st August

Post by banbrotam Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:04 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:
VTR wrote:Another decent but not telling contribution and partnership. Everyone has got in but no-one has really gone on yet. Ian Bell century again?
Tale of these ashes for eng.

It must be the worse batting I've ever seen in what on the surface would seem a dominant series.

The shoddy reality doesn't match the results at all.

"The shoddy reality" is that we are 3-0 up. You can carp as much as you want about us not batting well, what on earth does that say about the Aussies - given your views about England

The Aussies made had this kind of play off to an art in the early nineties and it laid the foundations for their more swashbuckling dominance

And if you think this the worst batting, then I'd get looking at some old UTube videos. Any England performance from 1988 to 1998 will do Rolling Eyes 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

5th Test - Oval, Weds 21st August - Page 15 Empty Re: 5th Test - Oval, Weds 21st August

Post by GSC Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:05 pm

If you don't score the bowlers just settle in
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:06 pm

GSC wrote:If you don't score the bowlers just settle in
Only 4 wickets taken so far today.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:08 pm

banbrotam wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:
VTR wrote:Another decent but not telling contribution and partnership. Everyone has got in but no-one has really gone on yet. Ian Bell century again?
Tale of these ashes for eng.

It must be the worse batting I've ever seen in what on the surface would seem a dominant series.

The shoddy reality doesn't match the results at all.

"The shoddy reality" is that we are 3-0 up. You can carp as much as you want about us not batting well, what on earth does that say about the Aussies - given your views about England

The Aussies made had this kind of play off to an art in the early nineties and it laid the foundations for their more swashbuckling dominance

And if you think this the worst batting, then I'd get looking at some old UTube videos. Any England performance from 1988 to 1998 will do Rolling Eyes 
Christ I don't mean worst like the years of torture that made me this grim, I mean the worst in a seemingly dominant series. The batting just hasn't really been good enough for such dominance.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:08 pm

A strange but decent innings from Pietersen. But he has remained strictly adequate in this series, not a very good series by his very high standards.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:09 pm

Judging by the comments on Cricinfo and the BBC, England should have clearly gone at 5 an over and rack up 400+ in a single day. After all, those people probably know more about cricket than England's captain don't they? Doh

Just ridiculous. It's been a good day for England.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:11 pm

Yeah I don't disagree with that.

Steady was right.  I just wish more of them could convert a start.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:14 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Only 4 wickets taken so far today.
And only 231 runs on the board with not much batting left. Rain might have to spare us again
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:15 pm

I don't mind England batting slowly. Australia have stuck to their plans pretty well , and have a lot of bowlers , so it has never been easy.
Just wish they could have had a partnership going over the hundred to really put Australia on the back foot...a couple of careless strokes have ensured that they keep coming back into it , keeping their bowlers interested...one long partnership and England would have probably been able to plunder in this last session...
Although the light isn't the best so maybe fireworks would still have been unlikely.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:15 pm

Duty281 wrote:Judging by the comments on Cricinfo and the BBC, England should have clearly gone at 5 an over and rack up 400+ in a single day. After all, those people probably know more about cricket than England's captain don't they? Doh

I love intent and positive batting- But please everyone needs to understand the situation at hand!!!

WE have played perfectly- I cant ask for much more tbh. Take the loss out of the equation- cant win anyway!! they scored 500 first innings !!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:16 pm

Duty281 wrote:Judging by the comments on Cricinfo and the BBC, England should have clearly gone at 5 an over and rack up 400+ in a single day. After all, those people probably know more about cricket than England's captain don't they? Doh

Some muppet messaged cricinfo earlier bleating on that England never scored at 5, 6 or 7 an over in their first innings. I think it was later pointed out that no team had ever actually managed to score at these rates. Utter prat who knows less than nothing about cricket.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:17 pm

mystiroakey wrote:

I love intent and positive batting- But please everyone needs to understand the situation at hand!!!

WE have played perfectly- I cant ask for much more tbh. Take the loss out of the equation- cant win anyway!! they scored 500 first innings !!!
Exactly. England have batted with a perfect mindset today, and ensured the loss is a very distant prospect, even without any weather interruptions.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:18 pm

And I'm not asking for 5 an over. 3 is considered the norm.

I do enjoy anybody considering upping the rate being considered just a t20 fan.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:18 pm

Woakes hey!!!

nice shot..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:18 pm

Very easy game from behind a laptop , Duty Smile 

There are some right clowns airing their ignorance on those platforms...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:19 pm

VTR wrote:

Some muppet messaged cricinfo earlier bleating on that England never scored at 5, 6 or 7 an over in their first innings. I think it was later pointed out that no team had ever actually managed to score at these rates. Utter prat who knows less than nothing about cricket.
Laugh 

Just found that comment on Cricinfo:

"When was the last time they (England) scored at 4/5 or even 6 runs an over in their first innings?"

Back to your T20, Jacob!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:21 pm

When was the last time any team did?

jeas even 4 an over is as rare as 4 leaf clovers.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:21 pm

alfie wrote:

Very easy game from behind a laptop , Duty Smile 

There are some right clowns airing their ignorance on those platforms...
7 runs off that last over; that should please 'em!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:21 pm

Harris having fun with the bouncer...Woakes handling it all pretty well. Has played some nice shots.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:24 pm

mystiroakey wrote:When was the last time any team did?

There was a later comment that basically said no-one ever had. The clown who asked that question is probably sat there wondering why there's been no "DLF Maximums"

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:24 pm

Some of us felt Kerrigan bowled atrociously, some of us felt England's top order batting has been poor in this series, some of us felt England could have gone about this innings with a bit more intent.
There are strong rational cases for all that, I am a bit surprised at the kind of reactions that these entirely reasonable arguments have brought about!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:25 pm

msp83 wrote:Some of us felt Kerrigan bowled atrociously, some of us felt England's top order batting has been poor in this series, some of us felt England could have gone about this innings with a bit more intent.
There are strong rational cases for all that, I am a bit surprised at the kind of reactions that these entirely reasonable arguments have brought about!.
England are 242/4. What's wrong with that?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:28 pm

msp83 wrote:Some of us felt Kerrigan bowled atrociously, some of us felt England's top order batting has been poor in this series, some of us felt England could have gone about this innings with a bit more intent.
Go back to T20 MSP Wink
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:28 pm

Crowd seems to be enjoying it all. If Test Matches were all biff and charge they would soon get as formulaic as limited overs games , and we would need to invent some quirky rule changes to keep them interesting Smile 

To be honest when I planned to watch right through tonight , I was kind of hoping for a Pietersen Special...but I was quite ready for an attritional day like this...have found it all quite absorbing.

Light may hold out for the last eight overs ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:29 pm

VTR wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:When was the last time any team did?

There was a later comment that basically said no-one ever had. The clown who asked that question is probably sat there wondering why there's been no "DLF Maximums"
It doesn't surprise me tbh.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:33 pm

Here was the actual reply (referring to first innings scoring rates). Jacob on cricinfo wins the muppet of the day award.

"Sorry Jacob, no one has ever scored 6 an over in a Test innings," points out Rayner, equally politely, "only five times has 5+ an over been scored."

Last edited by VTR on Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:33 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Australia scored 492 and England couldn't even bowl them out. What indeed is wrong with that?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:34 pm

VTR wrote:Here was the actual reply (referring to first innings scoring rates). Jacob on cricinfo wins the muppet of the day award.

"Sorry Jacob, no one has ever scored 6 an over in a Test innings," points out Rayner, equally politely, "only five times has 5+ an over been scored."
ok got ya,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:35 pm

If only there was a scoring rate between digging in and slogging.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:36 pm

GSC wrote:
Go back to T20 MSP Wink
May be we aren't even qualified to go there. Should we go for the Martin Crowe Super Max stuff?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:38 pm

GSC wrote:If only there was a scoring rate between digging in and slogging.
Could have been nice. But that doesn't seem to exist!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:39 pm

Maybe we should invent our own game MSP.

The batting team bats until its run rate falls below 6
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:45 pm

GSC wrote:Maybe we should invent our own game MSP.

Excellent idea!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:45 pm

One before the close and Australia might fancy a flurry
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:50 pm

I will admit. If I had been watching this from the start I may have been closer to GSC's POV!!

Fact is though its more about wickets.. we took 9 first two days, they have only taken 4 on the third. That is above Ozzies par because the pitch will have deteriorated a bit.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:51 pm

msp83 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Australia scored 492 and England couldn't even bowl them out. What indeed is wrong with that?
Um..nothing. I'm arguing that the rate is irrelevant, for England at least.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:52 pm

After a positive start, Chris Woakes is also back to playing Propper Test Cricket!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:52 pm

Halfway.

246/4 ...

Will be some weary bowlers in the morning...

Last ball...247/4 thumbsup 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:54 pm

215/4. Fantastic day for England. The 3 nil has been secured by batting the day, and batting sensibly.

See? That was batting sensibly. Something Australia haven't managed to do very often this series. Probably why England are 3-0 up.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 6:58 pm

So that ends the day's play. England 247-4 46 away from the follow-on. The game is crying out for some magic from someone. Kevin Pietersen is already back in the hut, Matt Prior and the England lower order can still produce some positive intent if Prior manages to find some form. Perhaps a Ryan Harris or a Peter Siddle or a Mitchell Starc will have to step up otherwise. Or else, I hope the rest of the game gets rained out.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Aug 2013, 7:00 pm

this is all about annoying and frustrating Aus msp.

Try and bat the rest of the test out will destroy the bowlers confidence

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 23 Aug 2013, 7:07 pm

GSC wrote:Maybe we should invent our own game MSP.

I think we should hit a home run or we are out of here. Every ball.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 7:08 pm

mystiroakey wrote:this is all about annoying and frustrating Aus msp.

Try and bat the rest of the test out will destroy the bowlers confidence
Such an approach would make sense when the track is demanding, when you are fighting for the series win, when you are into the 2nd innings trying to save a game........ Otherwise, starting off your first innings with such an approach is dud rather than good.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 7:11 pm

I just hope for some quality cricket tomorrow and I really want to see whether Chris Woakes is up to it with the bat. He's not a 3rd seamer, but could be a very good 4th quick. But his batting has to be good enough for that and I do hope he comes to the party. Some early good signs, I just hope he builds on that and earns for himself a few chances in that number 6 position.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 23 Aug 2013, 7:14 pm

Well the theory for me is based on the up and coming series in aus. If we didn't have them back to back I wouldn't have said what I said.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Fri 23 Aug 2013, 7:28 pm

So the BBC have now got Aussie down as having the momentum for the return series. The Shane warne school of thinking.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 23 Aug 2013, 8:06 pm

--the ball is turning and bouncing, littl bit for the seamers with the new ball......and Eng with their charecteristic attritional, disciplined cricket have kept Aus at bay...so far.

--the problem with a low scoring rate like this.....is that the lead isn't wiped out quickly and a few quick wickets can bring Aus back in the game quikly.

--Unles Eng do multiple suicides, with their batting depth, they should be able to avoid follow-on.

and then Aus will have bat depending on how much the weather permits . Ideally they would like to have a lead of 350+ and 110overs to have a crack.

BUT if they are squeezed for time such they may bat as little as 10 to 15 overs in second inning. and set 250 in 4th inning with anywhere between 80 to 90 overs will keep both parties interested and a great game of cricket.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 23 Aug 2013, 8:08 pm

Basically, they've got a hatful and then can only take 4 wickets in a day and a bit. And that's their bowlers "settling in"!!!

I honestly think in today's helter skelter society and 20/20 cricket, people have forgotten what Test Cricket is

Great performance from England, so far in this test, where if you lose the toss you're doomed

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 23 Aug 2013, 8:10 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:So the BBC have now got Aussie down as having the momentum for the return series.  The Shane warne school of thinking.
According to Jim Maxwell, the Aussies have played "all the cricket" since Old Trafford picard This is why England are still 1-0 up during that sequence!!

And of course we saw that at the end of the 4th Day at Durham Laugh 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 23 Aug 2013, 8:15 pm

To talk about momentum at such length regarding a series that is to be played in 3 months from now under different conditions is a bit too premature for me. I am not saying Australia wouldn't be affected by the losses here and England wouldn't be a more confident outfit. But I don't think there is a momentum based case for England to have them playing the way they did today. If anything, England's defensive approach would only give the Australians that little bit of satisfaction that on the back of one good batting performance, they could force England so much to the backfoot. Don't think this one day's approach would make a world of difference 3 months down the line.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next