The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez - Struggling with weight?

+10
The Terror of Tylorstown
Atila
TopHat24/7
John Bloody Wayne
mobilemaster8
OasisBFC
Boxtthis
STC
TRUSSMAN66
Pedro147
14 posters

Go down

Alvarez - Struggling with weight? Empty Alvarez - Struggling with weight?

Post by Pedro147 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 11:58 am

Just seen there on Twitter that the 4 week weight for the fighters is FMJ at 150lbs and Alvarez at 166lbs!!! That means that Alvarez has 4 weeks to lose exactly a stone which is absolutely massive. I know people will say he always does it and so on but he's still young and still growing so even harder for him to do it now.

Most people seem to think he needs to pressure FMJ for 12 rounds to win but if he's struggling at the weight then he won't be able to do it and personally I don't think he'll outbox Floyd.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Alvarez - Struggling with weight? Empty Re: Alvarez - Struggling with weight?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 12:09 pm

Hope he is struggling to make the weight..So Floyd can smash his face in and become a definite top 10er on every list..

and not just mine...

sweat baby sweat.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Aug 2013, 12:58 pm

Pedro147 wrote:Just seen there on Twitter that the 4 week weight for the fighters is FMJ at 150lbs and Alvarez at 166lbs!!! That means that Alvarez has 4 weeks to lose exactly a stone which is absolutely massive. I know people will say he always does it and so on but he's still young and still growing so even harder for him to do it now.

Most people seem to think he needs to pressure FMJ for 12 rounds to win but if he's struggling at the weight then he won't be able to do it and personally I don't think he'll outbox Floyd.
I think the fact that he is young means that its easier to lose the weight, the metabolism is much faster it slows as you get older. Expect the usual dehydrate rehydrate 'technique' before & after the weigh in. Do you know if there are any rehydrate limits for this fight?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:02 pm

sohotnot wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:Just seen there on Twitter that the 4 week weight for the fighters is FMJ at 150lbs and Alvarez at 166lbs!!! That means that Alvarez has 4 weeks to lose exactly a stone which is absolutely massive. I know people will say he always does it and so on but he's still young and still growing so even harder for him to do it now.

I think the fact that he is young means that its easier to lose the weight, the metabolism is much faster it slows as you get older. Expect the usual dehydrate rehydrate 'technique' before & after the weigh in. Do you know if there are any rehydrate limits for this fight?
Not that I've heard of but I'm not 100% sure being honest. I think though it depends on body size though. Hatton was always going to be 10stone fighter but Canelo is huge and still growing. Bit like Khan saying the weight was killing him to make it and taking away from performances and all that. However I suppose it defo depends on the fighter and could be an advantage for Canelo.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:04 pm

The thing to remember is that his fighting weight is probably about 160+ anyway, so he only really needs to lose 6 pounds or so.

He will drain the rest off in the days before the actual weigh in.

Last edited by STC on Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:06 pm

If he wins it's a great advantage...If he loses he's weight drained...

you know the drill by now..

Mayweather hasn't beaten anybody and never will according to some..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:09 pm

In fact, reading this article, it would appear that he's ahead of schedule weightwise....

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2013/07/floyd_mayweather_sr_expects_sa.html
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:10 pm

Nah he's ok at 14lbs over and 4 weeks out. He only has 6-7 lbs to lose over a month and the rest will be dehydration on the day. I'm convinced Floyd would beat him at 154 so its slightly disappointing that he's insisted on the 152 stipulation - particularly after all the stuff he said about Manny's stips. Still a great win against a skilled and bigger guy though. Really looking forward to this card.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If he wins it's a great advantage...If he loses he's weight drained...

you know the drill by now..

Mayweather hasn't beaten anybody and never will according to some..
Yep unfortunately so, we've been there a few times before and the 152 weight stip doesn't help either. Should make for some lengthy topic posts & debate for years to come, pity D4 & dehydration/rehydration expert Coxy are know longer with us.

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:12 pm

"Alvarez weighed 153 pounds before his April 20 win over Austin Trout, but reportedly stepped into the ring weighing 172."

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2013/07/floyd_mayweather_sr_expects_sa.html

If that's the case then he is currently 6 pounds under the weight that he was for his last fight.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 15 Aug 2013, 3:25 pm

there's no rehydration limit so he's good. he'll come in a lot heavier than floyd. he'll still be strong at 152.

still not good enough to beast floyd.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 3:37 pm

IM cant wait see Garcia vs Mathyssee!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:12 pm

On the other hand, 150 isn't very much given that in general they weigh less as training goes on. Mayweather's too experienced to over train, you would think.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:16 pm

PBF isn't a natural 154lber, 150 is probably just about his most comfortable weight, with an easy 3lbs to shed to clean up WW.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:29 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:PBF isn't a natural 154lber, 150 is probably just about his most comfortable weight, with an easy 3lbs to shed to clean up WW.
And that's where he's in a great position, he's basically fighting at his walk about weight, he probably has to increase his food intake during fight camp to fight at lmw and its an easy cut of 3 lbs if he wants to fight at ww.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 15 Aug 2013, 6:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Hope he is struggling to make the weight..So Floyd can smash his face in and become a definite top 10er on every list..

and not just mine...

sweat baby sweat.
If he's not top 10 yet then Canelo isn't the opponent to put him there.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 15 Aug 2013, 8:34 pm

Mmm, maybe 150 is ideal, but it's weeks before he should be at his ideal weight.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 15 Aug 2013, 8:49 pm

He always weighs 150lbs whether he's in training or not so can't see it be a problem at all, end of the day his weight isn't going to win him the fight.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 15 Aug 2013, 8:52 pm

Floyd walks around at like 152 or something I read so there isn't really anything wrong with him being 150lbs now after being in intense gym sessions for a while. If he's at his best weight then he gets to concentrate on other things like technique etc. Whereas I bet a lot of Alvarez's training is very much focused around making weight and shedding the pounds now.

I remember Cotto saying when he was trying to make 140 he barely ever got to work on technique anymore his training camp was made squarely on making the weight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 10:31 pm

Funny thing about catchweight is that Canelo will hit the big time If he beats Mayweather even though he is so much bigger and yet guys like Norris who had to come in at 150 against Meldrick Taylor got little or no credit for boxing Taylor's ears off.......

How times have changed...........

Norris usually weighed 153 ish and he wasn't drained............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 15 Aug 2013, 11:28 pm

You seem to have a real bee in your bonnet as far as Mayweather is concerned. Beating Taylor when he'd had most of the life beaten out of him by Chavez simply does not compare to a prospective win over Mayweather, the unbeaten genius who's won two titles at the weight simply means more.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Thu 15 Aug 2013, 11:32 pm

He came in at 166.5 for trout at 30 day weigh in and came in at 153 on final weigh in

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Thu 15 Aug 2013, 11:41 pm

It would be interesting to know the weight of Canelo at this stage against Trout, and I guess the kid had to accept these demands if he wanted fight with Floyd. Canelo will be fine I don't think these weights will determine fight outcome, more likely the better skilled etc.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Fri 16 Aug 2013, 12:04 am

PPVxHOTTY wrote:It would be interesting to know the weight of Canelo at this stage against Trout, and I guess the kid had to accept these demands if he wanted fight with Floyd. Canelo will be fine I don't think these weights will determine fight outcome, more likely the better skilled etc.

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 16 Aug 2013, 12:06 am

The weight will affect Canelo even though its only a couple of pounds

He is a big LMW and normally comes in pretty tight to the limit and has been 154 on the limit most of his fights since he won his title

Its not like he bloats between fights, he has barely any body fat on him and the weight he loses is almost all muscle. His body is so thick that it'll take a toll on him cutting the weight needed

He will still be dangerous with his power and size but the catchweight takes a bit of the shine off it for me

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 16 Aug 2013, 12:17 am

The extra two pounds might make a difference against someone of more comparable size but against Mayweather it wont make any difference nor does he fight in a way that will affect him. Coming in close to the limit is a misnomer we can draw absolutely nothing from that, i'm pretty sure Mayweather himself has been right on the limit in some of his fights and barring the Chavez fight he's never struggled to make weight. It may mean he struggles to make 154lbs but it's more likely that he does it because he doesn't need to lose any more than that, why drop to 152/3lbs when you don't have to.

I actually see it as a good thing when a fighter is right on the limit because it means they haven't bombed there weight.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Fri 16 Aug 2013, 12:25 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:The weight will affect Canelo even though its only a couple of pounds

He is a big LMW and normally comes in pretty tight to the limit and has been 154 on the limit most of his fights since he won his title

Its not like he bloats between fights, he has barely any body fat on him and the weight he loses is almost all muscle. His body is so thick that it'll take a toll on him cutting the weight needed

He will still be dangerous with his power and size but the catchweight takes a bit of the shine off it for me
I disagree, Canelo can make weight and then put it back on in 24 hours. If a lightweight can lose this im sure Canelo has more fluids to lose than any lightweight. Canelo is perfect weight right now, the last 8% of his bodyweight will be fluid no more muscle will be lost, he will actually cut up more and have more muscle mass than he has now. Pacman before he fought Marquez at 130 was around 144-148 pounds, then he dehydrated down to 129 for the weighin that's nearly 20lbs in a LW, 30 hours later he is back to where he started, this is normal procedure for fighters ever since weigh ins began.

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img64/9966/pacmarquezii.jpg

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Aug 2013, 7:08 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Mmm, maybe 150 is ideal, but it's weeks before he should be at his ideal weight.
Do you really think that a fighter fighting at there natural weight is giving themselves a disadvantage?

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 16 Aug 2013, 7:13 pm

Nah just speculating upon the current climate of cutting and cutting then ballooning in 24 hours in comparison to Mayweather doing it the old fashioned way.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Aug 2013, 8:05 pm

The old fashioned way in my opinion is better & a more healthy way to do it. I just don't understand why a pro athlete would let themselves get out shape only to have to go through a training camp to get close to their ideal weight & then go through the dehydrate/rehydrate route. This has definitely helped both PBF & Manny as they have gone through the weights where as we are now seeing fighters Rios & Broner jumping a few weight classes overnight after struggling to remain at their starting weights using the modern technique.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 16 Aug 2013, 10:06 pm

It's certainly a way to do things that deserves more respect than just being big. That's why I find myself hoping Mayweather wins. Of all the talented guys who've tried and failed to take his 0, it would be a shame for it to go to a guy who does it with size.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sat 17 Aug 2013, 1:23 am

sohotnot wrote:The old fashioned way in my opinion is better & a more healthy way to do it. I just don't understand why a pro athlete would let themselves get out shape only to have to go through a training camp to get close to their ideal weight & then go through the dehydrate/rehydrate route. This has definitely helped both PBF & Manny as they have gone through the weights where as we are now seeing fighters Rios & Broner jumping a few weight classes overnight after struggling to remain at their starting weights using the modern technique.
Manny has always rehydrated quite a lot until he reached WW 10-15lbs most fights

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down