The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did Martinez get his shot?

+11
AlexHuckerby
thebawwse
JabMachineMK2
Mind the windows Tino.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Rowley
seanmichaels
The Terror of Tylorstown
STC
TRUSSMAN66
shenglongreturns
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How did Martinez get his shot? - Page 2 Empty How did Martinez get his shot?

Post by shenglongreturns Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just looking at the undercard for this weekends fights from Atlantic City between Barker and Geale, and I note that Kiko Martinez is fighting Johnathon Romero for the IBF World Bantamweight title?

Is it a case that Carl Frampton isnt ready for a world title tilt? Or has all this switching promotional teams had an adverse effect. I know Carl has a re-ocurring injury but no attempt made from their camp to challenge Romero for his belt?

Scott Quigg on the other hand is going for the interim WBA, a step in the right direction if you ask me, and a hard test if records and reviews are to be believed, but again should the Hearns not have been attempting to challenge Romero for the IBF title??

Pretty weak oppostion in Martinez for Romero, especially when there are two great talents like Quigg and Frampton, hungry, dedicated and in my eyes ready for that shot...

Have the promoters on this side of the pond slept in? Are Quigg/Frampton not ready for this type fight? Or have other circumstances played a part in either fighter having a dig at Romero?

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

How did Martinez get his shot? - Page 2 Empty Re: How did Martinez get his shot?

Post by shenglongreturns Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:11 pm

STC, I have to agree especially with reference to Kiko this Saturday night, but Im sure some of the more knowledgable posters will have a list as long as your arm of defeated fighters who won a title in their next fight!

I see Mr Trussman has already started a list! Fair play Trussy!

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

How did Martinez get his shot? - Page 2 Empty Re: How did Martinez get his shot?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:12 pm

STC wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
STC wrote:A fighter shouldn't be allowed to defend a world title against someone who has lost his previous fight, voluntary defence or not.
Rosario L12 Camacho..........

Rosario ko 2 Bramble....
Yeah, yeah.

I refer you to my previous post.
STC...........Boxing has changed irrevocably mate.........Just be grateful what you can get now..........It's a sham but hey when Luxembourg are sanctioning fights in your Country and thre BBBc gives Chisora and warren no sanction for it..

Are you surprised....by anything.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Agree with Dee McK on the Frampton- Quigg debate, although it is close, i do feel Frampton edges it on class, size and ability. Although, I've said it beofre Quigg is a very determined young man with fire in his belly.

But to say Quigg is a "classier operator" and would "murder" Frampton is just a nonsense. Sorry

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
STC wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
STC wrote:A fighter shouldn't be allowed to defend a world title against someone who has lost his previous fight, voluntary defence or not.
Rosario L12 Camacho..........

Rosario ko 2 Bramble....
Yeah, yeah.

I refer you to my previous post.
STC...........Boxing has changed irrevocably mate.........Just be grateful what you can get now..........It's a sham but hey when Luxembourg are sanctioning fights in your Country and thre BBBc gives Chisora and warren no sanction for it..

Are you surprised....by anything.
I'm not surprised by anything anymore, to be honest.

Doesn't mean we can't whinge and moan about it though.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:19 pm

shenglongreturns wrote:Agree with Dee McK on the Frampton- Quigg debate, although it is close, i do feel Frampton edges it on class, size and ability.  Although, I've said it beofre Quigg is a very determined young man with fire in his belly.

But to say Quigg is a "classier operator" and would "murder" Frampton is just a nonsense. Sorry
Without meaning to be rude...Reborn and strongy aren't the most objective people to go to on Frampton..........

As sound as they are on other issues...

Whinge away STC..It's just that Boxing went past the tipping point and we all stood by and watched resignedly.....

Why it makes me laugh when Warren brags about Joe soap being number 1 in the WBO rankings...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:19 pm

Kiko didnt lose his last fight though.

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Why are they not the most objective Truss?

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:22 pm

shenglongreturns wrote:Kiko didnt lose his last fight though.
You've got me there.

I could argue about the level of the opponent, but I think I'll just STFU Smile 
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:23 pm

shenglongreturns wrote:Why are they not the most objective Truss?
My sixth sense tells me they just aren't.......You have a six sense ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Whinge away STC..It's just that Boxing went past the tipping point and we all stood by and watched resignedly.....

Why it makes me laugh when Warren brags about Joe soap being number 1 in the WBO rankings...
At least we know enough to read between the lines though.

A good fight is still a good fight and there are, encouragingly, quite a lot of good fights being made at the moment, be they for Regular Interim Super International Silver titles or not.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:27 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
shenglongreturns wrote:Why are they not the most objective Truss?
My sixth sense tells me they just aren't.......You have a six sense ??
Luckily belts are becoming pointless..........Unluckily If you consider guys died thinking they were worth it once upon a time..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Just seen the IBF have squeezed Kiko in at number 15 in their rankings, no doubt justifying his right to fight for their world title.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:33 pm

STC your right though, and I know what you meant, Kiko lost his last meaningful fight.

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Yeah how Kiko got this world title shot is beyond me.

Whether Quigg or Framps gets a shot, surely there are more worthy opponents...

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:49 am

So the it turns out now that Frampton isn't even next in line for an IBF shot....

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/news/2013/08/15/frampton-v-parodi-ibf-say-no-to-eliminator-as-mathebula-awaits.html
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:13 am

Madness!

I dont take umbrage at the IBF granting Mathebula his shot, if hes mandatory thats fine, but its when the IBF decide to apply the rules when it suits them??

What does this mean?

"an exception was granted" for Kiko V Romero.....

what "exception"?

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:23 am

shenglongreturns wrote:Madness!

I dont take umbrage at the IBF granting Mathebula his shot, if hes mandatory thats fine, but its when the IBF decide to apply the rules when it suits them??

What does this mean?

"an exception was granted" for Kiko V Romero.....

what "exception"?
I don't know. Possibly that Romero didn't want to fight Frampton and asked the IBF to slot Martinez into the IBF top 15 so they could call it a legitimate world title defence?

Agree that Mathebula deserves another shot.

Frampton must be a bit cheesed off though.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:56 am

Just don't want this to become a Kell Brook scenario...

Recurring injury and lack of big names...

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 am

Sometimes these things take time. Sometimes a world title shot comes out of nowhere. He just needs to stay focussed and keep winning, which I'm sure he will.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:03 am

Wouldn't worry about it, he is with Warren now. A vacant WBO title shot will be there are soon as Frank decides he has milked him enough in gimmes.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:14 am

Yeah Rowley believe me the peeps in Belfast arent to keen on this Warren switch, but what can we do?

McGuigan seems to want to co-promote, and the Hearns unwilling to compromise.

I was as shocked as everyone else whne he plumbed for Frank, especially given McGuigan's past career and history with dodgy promoters and court room battles.....

I just hope history isnt repeating itself...

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:16 am

Really hope he does not go that route sheng as I like Frampton as both a fighter and a person. Comes across really likeable and grounded and looks to have enough talent to not need to be protected and pretend to be a world champion.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:21 am

I'd put him in with Rigondeaux today.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:40 am

Lets not be too hasty STC!! lol....

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:53 am

Why not?

Their styles would make a great fight. I think Frampton would give Rigondeaux plenty to think about over 12 rounds. He may the underdog but I think he'd acquit himself quite well and come out of it, at the very least, a more experienced and rounded fighter.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:40 am

Rigondeaux is a complete all round fighter, slick with bags of natural ability, just think Frampton wants to make a few quid first and possibly one of the other belts befoer a big unification bout with Gullermo....

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:47 am

Yeah, fair point. But look what happened to a fighter like Martin Murray when he went up against another complete all round fighter, slick with bags of natural ability, at middleweight. Didn't do his standing any harm.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:49 am

shenglongreturns wrote:Rigondeaux is a complete all round fighter, slick with bags of natural ability, just think Frampton wants to make a few quid first and possibly one of the other belts befoer a big unification bout with Gullermo....
I don't think Frampton has any say Mate....If Nobody on SKY could get a word in with Mcguigan..You think Frampton can !!

Barry calls the shots..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:13 pm

I love how defensive the Irish guys are of their own!

Using Quiggs draw against him is a nonsense. It was a stoppage due to an accidental headbutt. Hardly a meek draw after 12 rounds. Lets not split hairs - it makes you look silly.

Quigg has the better CV to date. Rendall Munroe in 6, whichever way you look at it is an impressive win. But from what I've seen and in my opinion, I just think Quigg looks better, lets not forget he's had 10 more fights so naturally he's more experienced.

I'm actually not in favour of either at this moment in time. I like Frampton, I think if he had 26 fights he'd have faced much better opposition than Quigg and he seems to be at a similar level in terms of quality having beaten Molitor and Martinez - but theres something about Quigg that just tells me he'd hammer Frampton everywhere at this moment in time.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglongreturns Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Your entitled to that opinion Jab, and who's to say its wrong?

Two good fighters, fit, hungry lads that is something we both agree with.

Think it would be alot closer than the term "hammering", which seems to be bandied about alot when people describe Quiggs superiority over Frampton??

But in much the same way your opinion is your right as is DeeMcK's, he makes some very valid points about Carl, and anybody who feels any of the two fighters is leaps and bounds ahead of the other is simply being bias.

shenglongreturns

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Quigg may have been dropped Reborn, but have to be totally honest did not think there was anything to make a big fuss about, he wasn't actually hurt and I thought it was more to being off balance.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Kiko got a shot at Romero because of his promoter, Sergio Martinez(middleweight king) has big influence with HBO and got the fight approved.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Doesn't really matter how he got his shot now. He took full advantage of it.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:57 pm

bhb001 wrote:Doesn't really matter how he got his shot now. He took full advantage of it.
Totally agree mate

Romero underestimated Kiko and paid a heavy price.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:24 am

Watching the fight p*sssed me off even more. Absolute joke. The 'champ' took a whooping from a guy Frampton already demolished. How he can fall to his knees in tears and cry as 'new champ' is beyond me, he's a paper champ and an embarrassment.

Frank now needs to massively buck his ideas up and prove Carl wasn't wrong to ditch Hearns.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 am

He's not an embarrassment......Yes he's a workmanlike paper champion.....But he took his chance and made the most of it....

Unfortunately with so many belts...ordinary types like his opponent can attain Champion status......

Frampton is IBf champ in all but name.....but watch Mcguigan screw it up for him...

Probably fight Martinez in 150 degree heat in the Sahara desert..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Just watched a repeat of the fight (was showing in the gym)... I really don't think Kiko is anything special... he's busy and aggressive, which is why he managed to boss the fight, but not really impressed with his accuracy or movement. Congrats to him for winning the belt, but there has to be at least ten guys in the division who would beat him hands down.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:03 pm

If the best guy always had the belt...It would never change hands..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Yes it would, it would change hands but always, by definition, be in the hands of the best guy.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Wouldn't be the best guy If there was someone around better...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:26 pm

But you wouldn't be able to tell that, definitively, until they fought. At which point the title would change hands....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2