The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Most Dominant Boxer of Every Decade

+15
JabMachineMK2
Seanusarrilius
bellchees
eddyfightfan
The Terror of Tylorstown
seanmichaels
superflyweight
milkyboy
mobilemaster8
shenglongreturns
88Chris05
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
TopHat24/7
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Most Dominant Boxer of Every Decade - Page 2 Empty The Most Dominant Boxer of Every Decade

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 10:04

First topic message reminder :

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1735940-the-most-dominant-boxer-in-every-decade

Thought this might make for some interesting Friday discussion. In summary:

1880s - John L
1890s - Fitz
1900s - Joe Gans
1910s - Jimmy Wilde
1920s - Harry Greb
1930s - Hank Armstrong
1940s - Joe Louis
1950s - SRR
1960s - Ali
1970s - Duran
1980s - JCC
1990s - RJJ
2000s - Mayweather Jr

With 9 Yanks, 1 Brit, 1 Mexican, 1 Panamanian and 1 debatable, as a list it certainly supports Truss' oft lauded views of US dominance, if nothing else.

Did inactivity prevent the second Sugar from taking the 80s slot? Should Jack Johnson have been in for the 1900s?

What say you all??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

The Most Dominant Boxer of Every Decade - Page 2 Empty Re: The Most Dominant Boxer of Every Decade

Post by milkyboy Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 12:58

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Let's not be silly..
Ha ha ha. The perfect reposte to being mocked for being patronising. Quality truss.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

The Most Dominant Boxer of Every Decade - Page 2 Empty Re: The Most Dominant Boxer of Every Decade

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 12:59

milkyboy wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Let's not be silly..
Ha ha ha. The perfect reposte to being mocked for being patronising. Quality truss.
Tophat tries to mock me all the time.......It hides his lack of boxing knowledge....

But I don't mind...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:01

It's not ok Pacquiao but it's fine for Mayweather, no issue with catchweight fights but they do come with a disclaimer nor should they be for world titles.

I have no issue with Jones career from 160-175lbs but think it's a bit unfair on the men who went before like Hagler, Greb, Ketchel and Monzon when they would have had to have taken on challenges levels above Ruiz. Were it not for boxing politics then Charles and Langford would have achieved it years before.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:02

Hagler wouldn't take on Spinks at 175..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:02

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Were it not for boxing politics then Charles and Langford would have achieved it years before.
Neither of them held middleweight titles. Jones remains the only guy alongside Fitz who has held titles at both middle and heavy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:05

Rowley wrote:
The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Were it not for boxing politics then Charles and Langford would have achieved it years before.
Neither of them held middleweight titles. Jones remains the only guy alongside Fitz who has held titles at both middle and heavy.
May pay to re read what I actually wrote then, as a huge fan of Burley you should know better than most how difficult it was to get what you deserved as a black fighter.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:11

Nice list! Can't argue with it, really

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:30

Stil think it is a bold claim to say Charles and Langford would have acheived it. Think might would be a more appropriate claim. Am in no doubt Charles would have won the light heavy title, but he was little more than a kid at middle and soon outgrew the division. Not sure he would have stuck around long enough to annex the title.

Am in no doubt Langford could have beaten Ketchel for the middle title and the light heavy title had the opportunity arose. However at the time his form justified him getting the shot to win at heavy he would have had to take the title off Johnson. Possible but is no more than a 50-50. Too many imponderables to say they would have done it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:48

I think the whole landscape of the 1940's middleweight scene was affected by two very different things, the second world war and the BMR not getting title shots. This isn't a dig at Zale in particular but in no shape or form was he the most deserving man to fight for or win the title, throughout his splintered reign he must have been the 5/6th best middleweight of the time.

In beating Burley twice as well as Yarosz, Basora and Christoforidis, Charles would have been well worth a title shot if it was possible for a black fighter to challenge at the time.

Langford is a trickier proposition but I feel he would have beaten Johnson at some point to win the title, he may have lost it straight back but he was more than capable of holding it for at least a short time.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:49

My take on the fitz jones thing.

They're both great achievements, but if you're going to flag that heavies are getting bigger as a plus for jones, you kind of have to mention that 6'2  Ruiz is hardly the epitome of that. Any extra pounds werent muscle. There was a reason jones picked him over say Lennox Lewis, where that argument had a bit more credence. And of course he did have a choice in today's alphabet world.

Ruiz lost to another ex middleweight in toney... In the ring at least ... Even if the worlds worst advert for steroids lost that out of the ring.

Whoever the opponent it's a great achievement for jones. But let's not over egg this pudding... as puddings go, johnny was the recipient of enough rotten eggs.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:51

Still don't see how the fact that some people in the past might have been able to do it downgrades the acheivement of someone who actually did do it. If it was an absolute given that they would have acheived it I could half see your point but there are reasons beyond their skin colour that mean neither is anything more than a possibility.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:57

What he actually did was beat a belt holder nothing more nothing less, he didn't emulate Fitzsimmons and he didn't even emulate Spinks, were he to have beaten Lewis it would be a great achievement but he picked on the weakest of the weak.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 13:59

And as I said previously my opinions on the matter will change when other middle champions do likewise.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:23

With Rowley on this - the fact he did it at all is the achievement, not the manner of which he performed it. If we take the shine off that it shouldn't be because of RJJ's choice of opponent, it should more be on the sanctioning bodies for having such a poor champion in the first place.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:26

How about 'the most dominant British fighter of a decade'? Far more scope for kicking off.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:28

seanmichaels wrote:How about 'the most dominant British fighter of a decade'? Far more scope for kicking off.
Lewis.

Anyone who argues.....realise you're wrong and f*ck off.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:28

JabMachineMK2 wrote:With Rowley on this - the fact he did it at all is the achievement, not the manner of which he performed it. If we take the shine off that it shouldn't be because of RJJ's choice of opponent, it should more be on the sanctioning bodies for having such a poor champion in the first place.
Why shouldn't we criticise Jones' choice of opponent, he could have gone for Lewis, Byrd, Sanders or Ruiz so it's only fair we point out he chose the weakest and easiest to beat. It is partly the WBAs fault but nobody took the claims of Byrd, Sanders or Ruiz as champions seriously as it was purely because of boxing politics they hadn't beaten the man.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:30

JabMachineMK2 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:How about 'the most dominant British fighter of a decade'? Far more scope for kicking off.
Lewis.

These 2 not have a shout: Barry McGuigan 80's, Steve Collins 90's?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:32

We have to blame the fragmentation of boxing. The achievement was for a former middleweight champion to become a world heavyweight champion. it hadn't been done before and it has now. The manner of which it was performed could be described as dubious but thats not Jones' fault. What if he'd taken on Byrd and tonked him in 1 round and Ruiz turned out to beat his next 3/4 opponents handily? Would he have taken the easy route then? Bear in mind RJJ also had one eye on the fact he'd beaten Evander Holyfield. Think hindsight is clouding your judgement here, Ruiz isn't this terrible lump unworthy of holding the belt. If you're going to blame anyone, blame someone for the fragmentation of the titles.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:32

I'd have said Hamed for the 90's ahead of Lewis.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:34

seanmichaels wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:
Lewis.

These 2 not have a shout: Barry McGuigan 80's, Steve Collins 90's?
No.furious 

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:34

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:I'd have said Hamed for the 90's ahead of Lewis.
No. furious 

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:34

Nothing dubious about Jones beating the WBA champion...

Choose your words more carefully....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:37

Think the ref could be called into question personally at times, but nevertheless a win is a win.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:37

JabMachineMK2 wrote:We have to blame the fragmentation of boxing. The achievement was for a former middleweight champion to become a world heavyweight champion. it hadn't been done before and it has now. The manner of which it was performed could be described as dubious but thats not Jones' fault. What if he'd taken on Byrd and tonked him in 1 round and Ruiz turned out to beat his next 3/4 opponents handily? Would he have taken the easy route then? Bear in mind RJJ also had one eye on the fact he'd beaten Evander Holyfield. Think hindsight is clouding your judgement here, Ruiz isn't this terrible lump unworthy of holding the belt. If you're going to blame anyone, blame someone for the fragmentation of the titles.
No it's not hindsight, Ruiz was a terrible lump unworthy of winning a title, he got his shot because Lewis took on the more dangerous Michael Grant instead, Lewis would have beaten him out of the title scene entirely, he was lucky. Chris Byrd was one of the better heavyweights of the 00's and I would regard him as Wlads best win, far better than Ruiz and with his speed and elusiveness would have been a far sterner test for Jones while Sanders probably knocks him out quite early. I don't take Pacquiaos title at light middleweight seriously nor do I Jones' at heavyweight and for the record the little known Bob Fitzsimmons got there first.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:39

JabMachineMK2 wrote:
No. furious 
A lot of Lewis' better wins came in the 00's; Botha, Tua, Grant, Rahman redemption, Shell of Tyson and Vitali. In the 90's he also lost to McCall and struggled with Mercer and Bruno, at the time Hamed was steamrolling everyone with a slight blip against Kelley.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:40

106 years is a long time ToT - but I get what you mean. I still think its a remarkable achievement and given how much he was outweighed on the night, its a feat we don't see often for a reason.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:40

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:
No. furious 
A lot of Lewis' better wins came in the 00's; Botha, Tua, Grant, Rahman redemption, Shell of Tyson and Vitali. In the 90's he also lost to McCall and struggled with Mercer and Bruno, at the time Hamed was steamrolling everyone with a slight blip against Kelley.
I refer you to the post where it said "realise you're wrong" Wink 

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:44

It's an achievement in the strictest sense but it's no different to Burley making mince meat out of JD Turner, beating class counts not a useless slob.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 16:10

Don't see why British/UK boxers of the decade need be especially controversial, although there are a couple of judgement calls, no doubt. Since the war, I might go: 40s - Monaghan, 50s - Turpin, 60s-Winstone, 70s - Buchanan, 80s - Honeyghan, 90s - Hamed, 2000s - Lewis. Accept that some might say Conteh for the 70s, that Lewis has a call for the 90s and Calzaghe for the first decade of the twentieth century, but there aren't too many bona fide contenders.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 16:21

Would I be right in saying Honeyghan isn't in the Boxing HOf and yet Barry is....

and they are both 80's........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 16:25

Yes and yes, Truss - does say more about the Hall of Fame than mere words can manage. Honey's 80s record, including Mittee, Shufford, Rosi (away), Curry (away), Blocker, Bumphus, Hatcher seems a fair way in advance of Barry's from this distance in time, although I dare say that someone will be able to construct a decent comparative case in Barry's favour.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 16:27

Curry isn't in there either......But Zaragoza is....

Your Hall of fame is more bonafide

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 16:32

I really must make an effort to resume that, if there is any sort of interest from enough people.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 16:34

I'm sure there would be..............Another pet peeve is Stallone in the HOF...

Boxing made stallone or at least Wepner-Ali did...Not the other way around.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 17:04

Captain would be more than happy to contribute to a reopened hall of fame

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 17:17

as would i

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 17:29

ShahenshahG wrote:as would i
You may have to write more than one line on something..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 17:39

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:as would i
You may have to write more than one line on something..
There isnt enough space for more than one line on your dick, can i carry on past and write on your forehead?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 17:41

So it was you peeping in the Oyster..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 17:44

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:So it was you peeping in the Oyster..
Yeah. Sadly the pearls were missing

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 18:44

Why is di ck not blocked? Although it would have been a problem if were discussing Dick Cheney... or Tom, Dick, and Harry...

I disagree with Floyd winning the 2000s, but a case can be made so its a good list
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 19:40

kingraf wrote:Why is di ck not blocked?
Because we wouldn't know what to call you If it was..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 20:14

Kingraf... Obviously
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 20 Aug 2013 - 13:58

a list of most dominant of every decade does seem somewhat unfair on the likes of Whittaker, who dominated two long established divisions at least as much as Jones dominated SMW and LHW , but whose reigns bridged two decades rather than falling neatly into one.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 20 Aug 2013 - 14:07

horizontalhero wrote:a list of most dominant of every decade does seem somewhat unfair on the likes of Whittaker, who dominated two long established divisions at least as much  as Jones dominated SMW and LHW , but whose reigns bridged two decades rather than falling neatly into one.
Serves Pea right for being born in 1964 rather than 1969 like Roy, idiotic move as far as I'm concerned and I have no sympathy for him!

In fairness (and seriousness!) Whitaker did bring a little of it on himself by letting his personal life become so entangled in the marching powder. He was still arguably unlucky to lose to De la Hoya in any case, but had he been as focussed on boxing then as he had been a few years beforehand he might well have asserted his authority over Oscar to an even greater degree to put that fight beyond doubt, even if he was past his absolute peak.

His positive test for cocaine at the end of 1997 ended any hopes of a De la Hoya rematch for the following year, which many felt Oscar would have honoured, as well as doing him out of a planned (and basically signed, sealed & delivered) fight against Quartey for the WBA belt. Either of those fights would have really given him a good chance to bolster his claim as the best fighter of the nineties, even if some of his best work had come in the late eighties as well.

A year's a long time out when you're hitting your mid-thirties and living such a poor lifestyle and I think that suspension effectively put an end to Pernell's career, right at a time when Roy was hitting his absolute best form (in particular, the demolition of Griffin (II), the knockout of Hill and that absolutely fantastic showing against Johnson, all of which came between 1997 and 1999).

I love Pea to death, and I have him above Jones in the pound for pound stakes, but I think Jones edges him out for the title of being the best of the nineties.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2