The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby Championship time!!!

+8
maestegmafia
ChequeredJersey
Ozzy3213
kiakahaaotearoa
Taylorman
Artful_Dodger
bsando
Biltong
12 posters

Go down

Rugby Championship time!!! Empty Rugby Championship time!!!

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Aug 2013, 9:14 am

So guys, who do you believe will win today?

The all Blacks in my view have a more settled and experienced front row, so I give them the edge there, their second row is formidable and their back row enhanced with the return of Richie McCaw who I reckon is hungry for rugby.

Their half back pairing is perhaps the one area inspite of Toomua being a debutant that is on par with the Ozzies. Overall the backlines both have some strong ball carriers and I think it is a good move to put O'Connor at 14 where he can do his individual things better, he doesn't strike me as someone who should take the responsibility of a backline attack on his shoulders. One on one he is more potent.

I reckon the game will be one where both teams will be keen to show what they can do, Australia will want to prove that Link has been the right appointment, and New Zealand will want to quash any possibility of an Australian revival against them.

NZ by the smallest margin.

Argentina has had some great preparation testing their combination in NSW and they have been together for almost a month, so they are as ready as can be.

They showed last year in Mendoza that they have become masters at the breakdown and knows how to play to the referee. Their forward pack is always formidable and the losses taken in June against England doesn't mean much in the grander scheme of things.

This is a new team, so expect them to have learnt how to attack out wide as well under the tutelage of Graham Henry.

South Africa may have selected a strong team, but one I feel is past their sell by date. Meyer this morning said SA will be out to score tries and up their attack, Let's hope the hell they do.

But new blood will evolve this team in attack, not the same old, same old.

Pienaar and Steyn will be conservative and play for territory, but hopefully we will have this new look faster players get some ball.

SA by hopefully 8

What do you think?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Rugby Championship time!!! Empty Re: Rugby Championship time!!!

Post by bsando Sat 17 Aug 2013, 9:24 am

I am really excited! Can't wait to see wallabies under Mckenzie and I really like the subtle changes. I confess I know bugger all about this flyhalf, but interested to see how he does. Glad they didn't just run to cooper and put him on to start.

But the best bit of news, to me anyway, is JOC being on the wing again! Yahoo 

Wallabies can win this match and at the very least keep a close margin. I am confident!

In regards to other game, I fully expect SA to blast Argentina off the field, however I expect Argentina to score a few tries and to be strong.

My score predictions...

Aus 34 - NZ 28

SA 26 - Argentina 16

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 17 Aug 2013, 9:26 am

I picked up £25 on a bet yesterday and was going to stick it all on a Rugby Championship double today, but now I'm not so sure. Australia under McKenzie might just turn up with something special.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 17 Aug 2013, 9:37 am

Hi biltong. The closer to match time the more I usually tend towards a strong AB win. The biggest against for me is its in Sydney and we struggle to put Oz away there. I think the ABs are going to try and get in amongst Toomua and Lilo, cut them off, make them cut back instead of going wide, put them right off all day.

The obvious ploy will be to kick to Folaus opposite but thats predictable enough.

Toomua must be feeling it being at 10 for this match and having already faced a better performed Cruden recently wont hold anything over him there.

Its really mostly about what Ewen mac brings to this side. What does he have that Deans didnt- an AB win first up isnt yet one of them. This is virtually the same side that got hammered v the Lions so somethings got to improve.

Re SA vs Argie I havnt seen a lot of the Argie progress though did catch som Henry training session stuff during the week. The draw last year will spur them on but the Bok side does look strong.

I'd agree with you on the 8 but a loss wouldnt completely surprise if the pumas handle the Bok pack ok. Aloss for SA here would set them back seriously for 2013. The talk of attack is interesting, especially if its close- will they still adhere to that, or rever back to the tried and true.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 17 Aug 2013, 9:49 am

The Boks at home will be too strong. SA always seems to put in their best attacking displays at home. It's the game next week they have to be worried about, ironically more so if the Pumas concede a lot in the first match.

It looks like Australia will play more of a tactical kicking game. Folau will test his opposite Savea who is less proficient at the high ball than Ben Smith. Luata gives us options at the back so I think we can hold our own at line out time. Whitelock has proved adept at stealing ball so we will compete on their throw. New scrum laws will be interesting.

I have a feeling McCaw is still off his game and Australia might prove a handful at the breakdown. Combinations are new for both sides but Luata is new to this so we won't be gelling. That could give Genia the time and space he's been missing.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 17 Aug 2013, 9:50 am

I'm backing the Wobblies to get one over on the AB's here.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Aug 2013, 10:05 am

Taylorman, I think Toomua isn't going to be a problem, he isn't flashy, but he is solid and calm under pressure. The Aussie backline to me look good. They will definitely have more structure and organisation to their backline.

I think the secret lies in the forwards and that is where I give the All BLacks the advantage.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 17 Aug 2013, 10:12 am

Perhaps, but with 4 from the 7 all new for 2013, a yet to prove himself JOC in any position, they also look susceptible to pressure, especially if the AB pack does get a move on and theyre reeling at all.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Aug 2013, 10:13 am

Well it is all about quick ruck ball and sneaky offloads, isn't it?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 17 Aug 2013, 10:30 am

Actually the more I think about it the oz backline looks fairly fragile, Genia the only genuine for his position. The rest are either new or limited in key areas and there isnt a leader amongst them outside Genia, who will have his hands full anyway. Admittedly theyre talented, but confidence can play some horrible tricks, especially if it spreads.

Still think its a gamble EM is taking, though he doesnt have a lot of options.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 17 Aug 2013, 10:32 am

AAC is the lynchpin in that backline, he needs to hold it together
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Aug 2013, 12:59 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:AAC is the lynchpin in that backline, he needs to hold it together
not a great performance by the Bazzers...! Didn't really click like a team. Looks like a talented squad but very disjointed display.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 17 Aug 2013, 3:11 pm

The Aussies were an improvement over their Lions performances but are going to be (at best) third in the tournament.

Argentina will fancy their chances against the Aussies I reckon.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Sun 18 Aug 2013, 1:20 pm

Feel a touch sorry for the Australian fans as Mckenzie really didn't offer any sort chance to his team with that lineup.

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Aug 2013, 1:51 pm

Agree butters. Early days though. Anyone else think AAC should have flung the ball out to the left when he made that break but instead he died with it, again. It would have been a miracle pass but it's the kind of adventure that seemed to be lacking from them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 18 Aug 2013, 2:07 pm

That is exactly why I don't rate AAC. J de Villiers used to also never pass, yesterday he made a few telling passes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 18 Aug 2013, 9:13 pm

To be fair to AAC he made a heap of breaks and every time did not have a single support runner on his shoulder. Getting the ball away would have been a miracle and would more likely have ended with giving the ball the the AB's and then probably gifting a try.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 18 Aug 2013, 9:32 pm

To be fair, I thought two-dads was unable to pass anyway, as he was surrounded by Black Jerseys. That's down to how good the All Blacks were, not how bad AAC was. He was certainly the 2nd best No.13 on that day though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:49 am

Biltong wrote:That is exactly why I don't rate AAC. J de Villiers used to also never pass, yesterday he made a few telling passes
yeah I think hes a bit of a loner in that respect. Both he and JDV seem to shut down their ability to comprehend whats around them- tighten up in their thinking where other more lateral thinkers are always keeping that channel open.

Its almost like theyre so hyped up in going for the break that when they get through its them vs everyone else, that they have to finish what they started, and all logic leaves them momentarily, so they just burn until they stop, or are stopped, not having to even think about anything.

I dont think they mean to be that way, its just the way they are. JDV given a bit more time and space does manage to regather at times and often sends Habana away from memory, but in tight situations that what makes the Conrad Smiths such good players- the ability to keep all options open at all times.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 19 Aug 2013, 10:19 am

Taylorman wrote:
Biltong wrote:That is exactly why I don't rate AAC. J de Villiers used to also never pass, yesterday he made a few telling passes
yeah I think hes a bit of a loner in that respect. Both he and JDV seem to shut down their ability to comprehend whats around them- tighten up in their thinking where other more lateral thinkers are always keeping that channel open.

Its almost like theyre so hyped up in going for the break that when they get through its them vs everyone else, that they have to finish what they started, and all logic leaves them momentarily, so they just burn until they stop, or are stopped, not having to even think about anything.

I dont think they mean to be that way, its just the way they are. JDV given a bit more time and space does manage to regather at times and often sends Habana away from memory, but in tight situations that what makes the Conrad Smiths such good players- the ability to keep all options open at all times.
There was not a single support runner for him to pass to!!! JOC should have been on his shoulder for the first break and was about 20m's behind him!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down