The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clev

+24
superflyweight
Herman Jaeger
Knowsit17
Pedro147
mobilemaster8
joeyjojo618
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
JabMachineMK2
TopHat24/7
hampo17
bhb001
rIck_dAgless
Small Time
DynamiteChris
Daniel1991
ONETWOFOREVER
Seanusarrilius
tommyhearnsprodigalson
spencerclarke
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
Lumbering_Jack
Strongback
Steffan
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Clev - Page 2 Empty Clev

Post by Steffan Sun 18 Aug 2013, 5:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

There's a lot I could say about this man, but I don't know if it matters now. I guess what matters is what he stood for, what he lived for, and what he fought for. You always did everything the way you wanted it. And I didn't understand that, but now I understand. I'll never forget you, Nathan. You're the best

Regards

Steffan

PS. Any chance of a refund (My seats cost £70 thats without the 'handling' charge that goes into Franks pocket)?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Clev - Page 2 Empty Re: Clev

Post by Strongback Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:19 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
superflyweight wrote:
Strongback wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:When a Brit loses he gets it doesn't he.......

Bellew was a good win...........He wasn't a stiff.......
It's like the opposite of America. In the States everybody loves a winner and the loser is forgotten about very quickly.  In England the focus is on the loser and they pour on the scorn.  Wagging the finger and saying "I told you so".  It's a strange characteristic.  I was at the barbers last week and an English man was getting his haircut in front of me, all he did was moan to the barber for 20 minutes. It was unbearable to listen to.
A bit like someone repeatedly referring to a fighter as "ball bag" in the vain hope that it may eventually gain some comedic value?
No comedy intended.  He's a clown and a ballbag.  Have said it maybe 3 times but on the back of your post will continue with it.

why should I care.........

Wasn't aimed at you big balls.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:29 am

Good honest interview from clev. Bit worrying when a fighter's thinking 'if he catches me I'm going to go'. Maybe he's too much if a thinker with self doubt, I'm sure most of the greats would be thinking 'nobody's putting me down'.

He'd obviously a smart guy but shame that doesn't translate to practising defence or actual 'ring smarts'.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:34 am

bhb001 wrote:Cleverly is being a bit indigenious when he says he has fought three top ten opponents.

Only Kovalev was a top ten at the time he fought him I believe, though I may be doing Murat a dis-service there. Either way, three top ten fighters in the last 8 (giving him the benefit of the doubt) is still pretty soft defences and he needs to wisen up to this if he wants to move on.  I hope he doesn't retire as he can still be in the mix; just not be the best.

Are you saying Welsh people are spoofers?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:35 am

Have to agree with bhb - being the WBO champion for 2 years and saying you've faced 3 top 10 guys is pretty pathetic.

Think he'll jump ship from Warren to Hearn - fight a weak champion stateside (probably Cloud) and win that, defend a few times against alright opposition then probably lose a unification with Stevenson/Kovalev and call it a day

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:42 am

Not sure why boxers get so downbeat when they lose. I know it's all macho to pretend nobody can beat you, but reality is that there is always someone better than you.

I would happily take a smacking for the kind of money Clev in earning.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:44 am

Strongback wrote:
bhb001 wrote:Cleverly is being a bit indigenious when he says he has fought three top ten opponents.

Only Kovalev was a top ten at the time he fought him I believe, though I may be doing Murat a dis-service there. Either way, three top ten fighters in the last 8 (giving him the benefit of the doubt) is still pretty soft defences and he needs to wisen up to this if he wants to move on.  I hope he doesn't retire as he can still be in the mix; just not be the best.
Lol

Did you mean disingenuous, BHB??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 19 Aug 2013, 1:25 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Lol

Did you mean disingenuous, BHB??
Not having a good day spelling wise am I! Obviously you are spot on top hat. Thanks for clarifying matters.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Aug 2013, 4:04 pm

bhb001 wrote:Cleverly is being a bit indigenious when he says he has fought three top ten opponents. Only Kovalev was a top ten at the time he fought him I believe, though I may be doing Murat a dis-service there. Either way, three top ten fighters in the last 8 (giving him the benefit of the doubt) is still pretty soft defences and he needs to wisen up to this if he wants to move on.  I hope he doesn't retire as he can still be in the mix; just not be the best.

You mean disingenuous? Mind you the lame opposition is the main thing he has with Calzaghe so perhaps you were right..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Aug 2013, 4:05 pm

Just trying to rattle Steffan's cage a little..

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 20 Aug 2013, 7:32 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Not sure why boxers get so downbeat when they lose. I know it's all macho to pretend nobody can beat you, but reality is that there is always someone better than you.

I would happily take a smacking for the kind of money Clev in earning.
If you could only find someone willing to besmirch that face of yours.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 20 Aug 2013, 7:46 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:Sounds to me like he might retire?! Sounds a bit premature to be talking like that, especially if Kovalev goes on to unify and look great in doing so!!

I think Cleverley vs Stevenson is winnable. He isn't the same as Kovalev, yes he hits hard, but is very slow with no real technical ability, i think Cleverley can take him on points. Get a new trainer, work on defense and power, then rematch Kovalev. Khan should have done so with Prescott.
Can't see Ballbag winning, he's getting KO'd as well.

Clev's comments show there isn't much money in British/Euro boxing. Derry Matthews said he got £32,000 for his last war with Crolla. .
32,000 is a lot of money for a British title fight for crying out loud..
But isn't that the gross purse?  Doesn't he have to pay management, trainer, gym fees etc out of that?
exactly. say after promoter, manager, trainer, camp essentials like dietary needs etc he could get around £20,000 from that £32,000.

surely his earnings get taxed and over the year his earnings will be high enough that he's on a 40% tax bracket (over 34k a year).

that leaves him with £12,000. if he fights 3 times a year he can make £36,000 - after tax which isn't too bad. sponsorships can subsidise that etc. it's a tough, tough game.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:44 pm

If he is a Ltd company, then his tax would be less....

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:51 pm

Would pay tax on the dividends he pays himself though....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:04 pm

Agreed, but if he took a modest wage that mean't he paid less NI ( as an employee of the company ), he could draw dividends at much lower than 40%.

Pretty sure that Cleverly would be better off in real terms as a Ltd company than a Sole trader.

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:11 pm

Knew a guy who was a domestic level fighter a few years ago. Was half decent but a good few levels below world class and as others have said the money is not great at that level. Said after training expenses, sparring etc were taken out of your purse you were lucky to come out with half of what the purse was. Said things were better if it was on Sky but at that level you certainly did not earn anywhere near enough to retire on or anything like that.

Did say you could pick up some half decent money sparring though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:15 pm

I agree Rowley. I expect Deontay Wilder will be paid well by David Haye, as will Cunningham by Fury for sparring.

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:21 pm

Wilder is sparring Haye? And Cunnigham Fury?!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:40 pm

That's news to me as well, unless of course it is a joke. i.e Cunningham's fight with Fury was no more than a sparring session.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:44 pm

Wonder whether in sparring Fury would get tired of be caught so often and dropped on his bum that he'd resort to holding Cunningham in place while he clocks him again. Then just storm off our the ring for a kebab.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:45 pm

There's been a lot made of Cunningham sparring with Fury but Wilder sparring with Haye is out of the blue....and, given Wilder's recent brush with the law, I suspect they'd be disinclined to let him out of the country (or is it just our violent wife beaters they don't allow into the USA?)

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:54 pm

Its in the news....Wilder AND Wach are booked for 3 weeks with Haye, and cunningham with Fury.

All makes sense. Deontay is 6"8 and Marius Wach is about the same who fought Wlad recently.

Cunningham is good size wise for Fury...

I thought the KO was disgraceful by Fury of Cunningham. He definitely held his head in place - just replay it. Wouldn't surprise me if the "sweetener" for Cunningham was a very well paid spar with Tyson as they know it was out of order ( and I am surprised it wasn't taken further by the board and declared a no contest).

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:55 pm

Agree Wilder makes sense size wise but as Dave says the visa could potentially be an issue.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairwarrior Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:57 pm

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2013/08/deontay-wilder-to-spar-with-david-haye/

Apparently - according to this article - he has been informed by his legal team that he can travel to the Uk

armchairwarrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2