The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rumours That Michelin Will Return

2 posters

Go down

Rumours That Michelin Will Return Empty Rumours That Michelin Will Return

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 Aug 2013, 11:23 am

Tyres have been a much talked about subject in F1 but no rumours are emerging that Michelin may be back next year (as I take it the sole tyre supplier). I wonder if the FIA will instruct them like they did with Pirelli, on what type of tyres they want? Also I'd like to see a bit of competition so how about keeping Pirelli as well then teams choose their suppliers. It makes it interesting and throws another variable in there but don't think that will happen sadly.

Thoughts?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Rumours That Michelin Will Return Empty Re: Rumours That Michelin Will Return

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 24 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm

Well, the decision behind having a sole tyre supplier was to reduce costs for the teams, while also making it more profitable for the tyre company.

Unless the powers that be feel some competition would be beneficial, I don't see a return to the Bridgestone/Michelin days.

that said, I would like to see the FIA keep their noses out of tyre development and let the supplier figure out for themselves what kind of compounds and construction would work best for given track conditions.

I do feel sorry for Pirelli to an extent, as they have effectively been trying to shoot between ever-moving goalposts. Think somebody just needs to bring some sanity back to this aspect of F1.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 24 Aug 2013, 10:19 pm

I can't disagree with much of that dyre wolfe. A lot of Pirelli's problems began with the FIA's weird request to make tyres that were less durable. They did as they were asked and got panned for it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 25 Aug 2013, 11:20 am

Well, I said I felt sorry for them to an extent.

I think the durability/grip issues can be blamed on the FIA's ever-changing requirements, but the inherent construction flaws that led to the numerous punctures and de-laminations, I think were problems of Pirelli's own making.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down