The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More rumours on Ricky's return

+10
eddyfightfan
Duty281
jimdig
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
seanmichaels
azania
Rowley
davidemore
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Pedro147
14 posters

Go down

More rumours on Ricky's return Empty More rumours on Ricky's return

Post by Pedro147 Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:31 am

Speculation continues to build around a potential return to the ring for former two-weight world champion Ricky Hatton.

The 'Hitman' has not fought since he was knocked out in the second round by Manny Pacquiao more than three years ago.

And while Hatton, now 33, was loathe to end his stellar career on such a low note, he admitted last year that retirement was the only option.

However, with drink and drug problems firmly behind him, the former light-welterweight and welterweight champion has got himself in fighting shape.

Hatton is forging a successful promotions business while also acting as trainer and manager to several upcoming fighters in Manchester.

But he could be lured back into the ring by a big-money clash with former victim Paulie Malignaggi, the current WBA welterweight title holder who has been calling out the Hitman, seeking revenge for his lop-sided defeat in 2008.

The Daily Star reports Hatton will make his comeback in November against the New Yorker as part of a two-fight deal.

However, until the popular Mancunian makes a public announcement on his future, the speculation will remain just that.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

More rumours on Ricky's return Empty Re: More rumours on Ricky's return

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:43 am

Can't see him fighting again.

Ricky seems to be still riding the "will he, won't he" wave.

He is going to end up getting hurt.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:43 am

Ricky will get pancaked if he comes back. Fact.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:45 am

Saw these this morning in some of the papers, have to say it does very much appear these stories have some legs to them. As when they first appeared I have no real enthusiasm to see him back. Think the Lazcano and Manny fights suggested there was not a lot in the tank at the tail end of his career and hard to think three years of Guinness and kebabs will have done much to address this. Also as I said at the time I can’t get the nagging suspicion out of my mind that this is not unrelated to him losing his Sky contract which is not the best reason to come back.

Really hope he stays retired, has achieved everything he is likely to achieve in the sport, was a genuinely good value fighter and given he seems to have a loving family and a good few quid in the bank would much prefer to see him enjoy those things than risk them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 22 Aug 2012, 10:55 am

Lets not forget that Paulie has been stopping people recently. his last 2 fights have been TKOs. One against a journeyman, the other against a world champion in his own backyard.

And judging on how Ricky last left the ring, my guess is Paulie could chalk up another stoppage.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 22 Aug 2012, 11:03 am

Paulie will KO Ricky. I hope so anyway. I preferred Ricky with white lines.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 22 Aug 2012, 1:14 pm

Hatton will smash Malignaggi again. Good for the sport him coming back.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 22 Aug 2012, 1:33 pm

Malignaggi hasn't got any worse since their first fight, can the same be said for Hatton? no

3 years out of the ring hurts any fighter, moreso when you've spent most of those years like Ricky has

He might have shed a load of weight which he should be proud of, but it doesn't necessarily mean he is fit enough to fight. He struggled in the past getting down to 140 and after everything that's happened I would say 147 will hurt him too. He said time and time again that boiling down from about 154lbs to 140 really hurt his body so I doubt he will want to drain himself in a comeback

Malignaggi is fairly weak but has a good engine, good footwork and good hand speed. Malignaggi will TKO him as the fight drags on and Hatton takes punishment which will be sad to see

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 22 Aug 2012, 1:56 pm

all boxers risk it when getting in the ring, lay off or not. Hatton's a grown man capable of making his own decisions.

I'd expect his healthier lifestyle is partly down to his prospective return to the ring. He'd be doing more damage to himself drinking and filling his gut than he would going 12 rounds with Malignaggi

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 22 Aug 2012, 1:58 pm

seanmichaels wrote:all boxers risk it when getting in the ring, lay off or not. Hatton's a grown man capable of making his own decisions.

As are Holyfield and Jones, don't see too many applauding their continued willingness to lace them up.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 22 Aug 2012, 2:04 pm

If he is back it has to be to help the promotion of his stable. He should try to tap up ITV 4, or some other seldom watched stations.
His fighting style has never been built for longevity, and I'd hazard a guess that whatever speed he had must now have left him.

He could never now boil down to 140, and he was never any good at 147lb, Collazo gave him fits, and he basically came in as a LWW for Mayweather. He should stay retired, a return could resurrect Sky PPV, and I'm not one bit convinced that would be a good thing.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 22 Aug 2012, 2:24 pm

rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:all boxers risk it when getting in the ring, lay off or not. Hatton's a grown man capable of making his own decisions.

As are Holyfield and Jones, don't see too many applauding their continued willingness to lace them up.

Maybe their bank manager? They're both a lot older as well.

Never had the ability to play a sport in front of 20-30k people. Could imagine that is a fairly addictive / rewarding drug.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 22 Aug 2012, 4:20 pm

If Ricky wants to come back and is motivated to try and win another World title then I say go for it. He'll be 34 when he comes back for his probable November return - it's not as if he's the wrong side of 40.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 23 Aug 2012, 3:50 pm

also there are plenty of names at welter weight that are winnable but would sell, prescott, mccloskey, soto, corley, maidana, holt, zavick. even khan, and that would be huge.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 23 Aug 2012, 11:39 pm

Ricky has put all his trouble behind him and maybe he thinks he could still have a couple decent fights in him to end on a better note.. if he can get back in shape and have a warm up fight then who is to stop him.. still only 33 which is not too old.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:54 am

33 is certainly too old for a fighter with Ricky's style and record. He takes and throws a lot of punches and has had a few bad KOs.

He was never the same after the Kosta Tzu fight imo, his head movement had declined well before his punch resistance left him and he was poleaxed by Pacquio.

Ricky was a good fighter in his day but I can't see him being able to physically or mentally get back to the top, and if not then there is little to be gained by coming back and a lot to lose.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm

It is, of course, incredibly rare that any fighter can return from a lay off lasting well over three years and come back resembling anything like their best - and in Hatton's case, he was already past his own personal peak three years ago in any case.

Not sure why anyone thinks that Hatton could potentially buck this trend. He's never going to be mixing it with the pound for pound elite again, so why return for a second career (so to speak) which would be, without meaning any disrespect to those who are consigned to that class just above the elite one, a step down from his first one?

As others have said, there's little to gain, but plenty to lose.

Throw in the fast living, promotional and training distractions, the ring rust which would no doubt exist etc, and I fail to see how Hatton's comeback, if it materializes, could be anything other than a damp squib. I truly do hope he stays retired, but I'm getting seriously worried by these rumours now.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:46 pm

Is ring rust a myth, I personally think so.

Surely with the right sparring you get get rid of any 'rust' prior to a fight?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:51 pm

Don't think there's any substitute for the real thing, LJ, but that's just my opinion. Sparring is seldom a full pelt exercise.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 24 Aug 2012, 1:04 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Is ring rust a myth, I personally think so.

Surely with the right sparring you get get rid of any 'rust' prior to a fight?

Ring rust is very much real, you can visibly see it whenever fighters come off a long layoff due to injury. It's not like they are half the fighter they were, but they look a little off the pace. It's like saying a football player can come back after a long injury by participating in training matches

Every fighter complains about it so it must have an effect on them

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Aug 2012, 2:54 pm

88Chris05 wrote: I truly do hope he stays retired, but I'm getting seriously worried by these rumours now.

Think there has to be a modicum of substance to them because were there not he would have said so. My own view is they are maintaining a silence to test the water in terms of what TV interest this secures, how fans react and to see how this is likely to translate to ticket sales and also to give Hatton a chance to get in a gym and see if there is anything left in the tank, my only hope is the answer to the latter is that there isn't and Ricky puts this idea to bed and enjoys his well earned retirement and his family.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 24 Aug 2012, 3:06 pm

I reckon Ricky is better off in the ring than out of it. Listened to Don McGuinness talking about him on TS last night. Apparently when he's in training he lives like a monk. Some people need a focus and boxing is Ricky's. 15 pints of Guinness and a couple of lines of coke regularly over a 12 month period is probably worse for the brain cells than 12 rounds with Malignaggi.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:24 pm

we might see ricky vs matthew hatton, now that would make a view quid

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:39 am

rodders wrote:33 is certainly too old for a fighter with Ricky's style and record. He takes and throws a lot of punches and has had a few bad KOs.

He was never the same after the Kosta Tzu fight imo, his head movement had declined well before his punch resistance left him and he was poleaxed by Pacquio.

Ricky was a good fighter in his day but I can't see him being able to physically or mentally get back to the top, and if not then there is little to be gained by coming back and a lot to lose.

fair points, but then again apparently in his last few fights he was not with it anyway.. maybe he see's a weakness in Pac man now and would like to have a crack when more focused.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down