The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather & PED rumours

+21
TRUSSMAN66
TheMackemMawler
Rodney
Union Cane
manos de piedra
bellchees
Lumbering_Jack
Sugar Boy Sweetie
bhb001
JabMachineMK2
hogey
J.Benson II
two_tone
rodders
88Chris05
Valero's Conscience
Rowley
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
jimdig
Seanusarrilius
hazharrison
25 posters

Go down

Mayweather & PED rumours Empty Mayweather & PED rumours

Post by hazharrison Tue 20 Nov 2012, 12:44 pm

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/sub-lead/the-ped-mess-part-one

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Mayweather & PED rumours Empty Re: Mayweather & PED rumours

Post by hazharrison Tue 20 Nov 2012, 12:48 pm

"On May 20, 2012, a rumor filtered through the drug-testing community that Mayweather had tested positive on three occasions for an illegal performance-enhancing drug.

More specifically, it was rumored that Mayweather’s “A” sample had tested positive on three occasions and, after each positive test, USADA had found exceptional circumstances in the form of inadvertent use and gave Floyd a waiver. This waiver, according to the rumor, negated the need for a test of Floyd’s “B” sample. And because the “B” sample was never tested, a loophole in USADA’s contract with Mayweather and Golden Boy allowed the testing to proceed without the positive “A” sample results being reported to Mayweather’s opponent or the Nevada State Athletic Commission (which had jurisdiction over the fights).

In late-May, Pacquiao’s attorneys heard the rumor. On June 4, 2012, they served document demands and subpoenas on Mayweather, Mayweather Promotions, Golden Boy and USADA calling for the production of all documents that related to PED testing of Mayweather for the Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz and Miguel Cotto fights.

The documents were not produced. There was a delay in the proceedings while Floyd spent nine weeks in the Clark County Detention Center after pleading guilty to charges of domestic violence and harassment. Upon his release from jail on August 2nd, settlement talks heated up".

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 20 Nov 2012, 12:52 pm

Part two here:
http://www.maxboxing.com/news/main-lead/the-ped-mess-part-two

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:19 pm

Haven't read this, but if it is true the sport is rseriously damaged. It is the one thing about Mayweather I have always admired.

This is like when Carl Lewis was cheating and they just ignore dhis test results

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:24 pm

Really hope Floyd hasn't done a lance Armstrong on boxing. I had heard these rumours back in the summer.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:44 pm

I'm praying it is true.

Horrible man and if his career was shown to be built on a lie, it would only validate my hatred of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:48 pm

I'm praying for both him and Manny to retire, tomorrow would be ideal.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 20 Nov 2012, 1:51 pm

Doubt it's true as I can't see why he would insist on more rigourous testing. A counter to this is that you could say he knew he'd get away with it but I doubt he would want the chance of the paperwork and allegations being spread and you can't keep these secrets quiet forever.

Saying that there isn't a boxer or should I say any athlete who i would be shocked to find out they had taken something in their careerm, not one.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 20 Nov 2012, 2:09 pm

The sad thing is, I can't even muster the will and energy to read the articles you've provided, Haz. There's been so much mud slinging back and forth between these two 'teams' that I just don't care what either has to say anymore unless it's a confirmation that the fight is on with a date, venue, weight etc,

If Mayweather has been dabbling in PEDs, then he's the thickest and most idiotic man in boxing, in light of him being probably the most tested athlete in the sport and also due to his "I'm cleaning up the sport of boxing, take the test Poochiao" routine that he's been spouting since 2009.

Talk about setting yourself up for an almightly fall. I mean, this is the man who, in the past, has tried to draw comparisons with his "take the test" stance to the work of Martin Luther King, for Christ's sake.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 20 Nov 2012, 2:14 pm

Its not really big surprise is it?

Holifield, Vitali, RJJ, JMM, Mosley, Enzo Mac, Nigel Benn amongst others have all been caught, or rumoured to have been taking, PEDs at one time or another.

I'd say this is just the tip of the iceberg.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 20 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

It is rife in this sport sadly and I don't see anything changing with all the masking agents and new ways round the outdated testing cropping up every other week it seems. As someone stated earlier you wouldnt be at all suprised with anyone in sport being found out. Apart from maybe a darts player!

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 20 Nov 2012, 2:22 pm

Most probably true.

One juicer will always recognise another - why else do you think Mayweather was so suspicious of Paquaio? Somebody with no knowledge of PED's would not have been.
Berto accused Ortiz of it, Peterson accused Khan. See the pattern?

Yes, he wanted stricter Olympic style testing - but that seems to conclude the belief that Olympic testing is 100% foolproof and that all the Olympians are clean Rolling Eyes

Almost all boxers are on PED's, the higher you go up in terms of level, the more likely the athletes are using.
There is no honour when it comes to this subject - ALL athletes will cheat if they feel that they can get away with it.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 20 Nov 2012, 3:10 pm

I think this coming from one of the most respected writer and journalists in boxing Thomas Hauser, gives it much more credibility he is not the sort to say something unless he has very good information. It makes sense as well when you think about the fact Mannys legal team were in the process of forcing Floyd into showing his test results in court and all of a sudden Floyd and his Uncle are making retractions of the allegations about Mannys use of PEDs and also swiftly settling out of court.
Sad to say this will come as no surprise to me if true.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 20 Nov 2012, 3:20 pm

It does seem odd that now boxers well into their 30's seem to be getting better - Mayweather is no exception to the rule. I hope its not true, because it urinates on boxing as a whole if it is - but its not the biggest shock. Lance Armstrong you'd assume was clean until all that stuff came out, how elaborate the cheating became etc.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 20 Nov 2012, 3:29 pm

Rotherham Joe Gans wrote:I'm praying for both him and Manny to retire, tomorrow would be ideal.

Why so long? Never put off tomorrow ....

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Nov 2012, 3:29 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:It does seem odd that now boxers well into their 30's seem to be getting better - Mayweather is no exception to the rule.

If you want to show a bit of faith in human nature you could put this down to the infrequency with which modern fighters fight. Would seem likely that if you are fighting once every six weeks it will put miles on the clock far quicker than if you are fighting once every six months.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 20 Nov 2012, 3:45 pm

Article suggests what most of us already suspect, that testing in the sport isn't adequate and a lot of fighters are probably getting round it in some way. One of numerous things critically wrong with the sport.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 20 Nov 2012, 3:58 pm

J.Benson II wrote:Almost all boxers are on PED's, the higher you go up in terms of level, the more likely the athletes are using.
There is no honour when it comes to this subject - ALL athletes will cheat if they feel that they can get away with it.

I think this is very true. I know people who compete in boxing and MMA at a relatively low level and they say exactly the same i.e. the higher you go the more people take stuff.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 20 Nov 2012, 4:37 pm

I know a lot of low level fighters and they juice up to the eye balls to.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 20 Nov 2012, 4:41 pm

Its pretty logical really. At the lower levels, most guys who participate do so as a hobby. They have day jobs and aren't making any real money from it. The need to "improve" isnt as important to them.
However, the higher up you go, the more the standard of competition increases and the more money is involved. Its at this point when the drug use becomes rife. After all, the difference between winning and losing can be the difference between thousands of dollars (even millions at the very top).
The result of having improved physical prowess becomes extremely lucrative.
It reaches a point when you have to ask yourself "why WOULDNT they use performance enhancing drugs?"

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 20 Nov 2012, 4:45 pm

The obvious answer in most sports JB is the fear you will get caught and the level of punishment you will suffer if you do, the problem in boxing is neither of those particularly apply, the testing is such that you probably will not get caught and if you do you’ll get a six months ban which does not hurt a guy who fights once every six months too much anyway.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 20 Nov 2012, 4:58 pm

Rotherham Joe Gans wrote:The obvious answer in most sports JB is the fear you will get caught and the level of punishment you will suffer if you do, the problem in boxing is neither of those particularly apply, the testing is such that you probably will not get caught and if you do you’ll get a six months ban which does not hurt a guy who fights once every six months too much anyway.

It really is no dent in a boxers income a 6 month or 12 month ban. Especially as more people probably end up buying their return fight anyway in the hope that they get their face smashed in like Margarito.

I had a lot of spare time at work today and fully read the article and it really is a joke the testing in the sport. Twice Morales A and B sample both tested positive for a PED before the Garcia rematch and he was still allowed to compete. Absolute joke.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 20 Nov 2012, 5:00 pm

Im with J Benson on this issue. There isnt really an athlete in the world now that I could say I would be surprised if it transpired they were on something. Even Bolt who has got to be tested almost weekly would not shock me if it came out he was on something.

Then you have boxing whereby the system would be a steroid users dream. No mandatory random testing, archaic testing methods, only two or three fights a year to test and the rest of the time free to juice without testing. Heck even if your caught chances are you wont be punished and the fight wont even be cancelled. If other sports like cycling and athletics with top of the range testing still have people beating the system then boxing must be childs play. Half the time any sort of decent testing is used it seems to turn up some banned substance now.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 20 Nov 2012, 5:07 pm

I'd like to see how many of the guys over 30 would just call it a day if the BBBoC and it American equivalents said that to hold a licence you can be tested without warning any time of the year, not just in the build up to fights.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 20 Nov 2012, 5:11 pm

The problem is that PEDs are not illegal, until this changes the authorities will be reluctant to enforce anything.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 20 Nov 2012, 7:17 pm

First of all a shame for boxing if true, ruins Mayweathers legacy completely.

I would normally dismiss this as another ridiculous cyber rumour if it hadn't been wrote by the respected Thomas Hauser, very uncharacterised something heard on the grapevine which he would actually print.

It's a wonder D4 not on this this like a tramp on chips.

Cheers Rodders

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 20 Nov 2012, 7:39 pm

J.Benson II wrote:Its pretty logical really. At the lower levels, most guys who participate do so as a hobby. They have day jobs and aren't making any real money from it. The need to "improve" isnt as important to them.
However, the higher up you go, the more the standard of competition increases and the more money is involved. Its at this point when the drug use becomes rife. After all, the difference between winning and losing can be the difference between thousands of dollars (even millions at the very top).
The result of having improved physical prowess becomes extremely lucrative.
It reaches a point when you have to ask yourself "why WOULDNT they use performance enhancing drugs?"

All very plausible but essentially speculative.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 20 Nov 2012, 7:46 pm

Think Benson is right........I'd go so far as to speculate that most athletes these days have dabbled...

Sobering thought that Ben Johnson is three metres behind most sprinters now!!

Amazing what eating your greens can do....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:41 pm

It's funny, I wonder how much the now cleanest sport there is (i believe this truly), is responsible for Cavendish leaving sky. wrong board but subject related........

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 20 Nov 2012, 9:28 pm

why would he insist on drug tests before his bouts then?

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 20 Nov 2012, 9:38 pm

OasisBFC wrote:why would he insist on drug tests before his bouts then?

Well according to the article it could be to gain good PR, knowing full well that USADA 'Olympic style' testing isn't sufficient enough to catch him if he's been juicing in the six months prior to the fight provided he's stopped before the process begins 10 weeks before it. Most people with infinite wealth and big egos think they're untouchable, Floyd has both in abundance and may have thought he could simultaneously juice and look good by inviting USADA into his camp and get away with it - it's conceivable that he has that amount of arrogance and stupidity in him. But the article - at least in relation to Floyd - is pure speculation. I would be surprised but not shocked to find out he'd been on PEDs - after Armstrong very little could surprise me. I just hope for the good of the sport it stays what it is - speculation & rumour.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 20 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm

Forget Armstrong, I don't think that's a huge shock.

What about Dettori???? What will he have taken? Diuretics?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm

Read the article buddy, it explains it all.

However, I think it's unfortunate that he brought Mayweather's name into it, essentially based on a rumour. There was no need to. There is plenty of concrete dirt to go around without dabbling in rumours.

Having said that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has been using PEDs.

As Conte said, 'the doping controls in boxing are beyond a joke'.

I would go further than that and say that the doping controls in world sport are beyond a joke. But maybe that's just the way it's gotta be. It's probably impractical to police rigourously. The preponderance of undetectable PEDs, masking agents, and the scientic expertise involved in cyclical PED use virtually make it impossible to police properly.

Only the richest sports have the resources to do this, and they're not even interested.

ghost

rotapicname

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 20 Nov 2012, 11:05 pm

emancipator wrote:

I would go further than that and say that the doping controls in world sport are beyond a joke. But maybe that's just the way it's gotta be. It's probably impractical to police rigourously. The preponderance of undetectable PEDs, masking agents, and the scientic expertise involved in cyclical PED use virtually make it impossible to police properly.

rotapicname

I hate people who use big words just to make themselves look perspicacious.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Nov 2012, 12:26 am

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
emancipator wrote:

I would go further than that and say that the doping controls in world sport are beyond a joke. But maybe that's just the way it's gotta be. It's probably impractical to police rigourously. The presence of lots and lots of undetectable PEDs, masking agents, and the scientic expertise involved in cyclical PED use virtually make it impossible to police properly.

rotapicname

I hate people who use big words just to make themselves look perspicacious.

There you go, I made it easy for you Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 21 Nov 2012, 2:53 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Forget Armstrong, I don't think that's a huge shock.

What about Dettori???? What will he have taken? Diuretics?

Coke apparently. They have said it's not a PED that he's tested positive for.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 23 Nov 2012, 6:14 am

A skinny wide eyed fella who talks lots (mostly Sh!.tt) is caught taking coke?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 9:48 am

manos de piedra wrote: Even Bolt who has got to be tested almost weekly would not shock me if it came out he was on something.

If Az reads that you're in trouble. warning this thread will be on 4 pages by the end of the day....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:06 am

Bolt only gets tested cos he's black...I'm assuming this is true cos Az has convinced me that everyone is racist...except black people!

Az is probably on his way to Clattenburg's house to protest in the strongest possible terms that an obvious (albeit innocent) racist is allowed to wander the streets free to cause harrassment alarm and distress to persons of colour etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Fri 23 Nov 2012, 1:59 pm

Innocent until proven guilty I say but cases like the disgraceful Lance Armstrong do make you wonder. People who suspected him of being on drugs were proven right even though his fans said they were just jealous and trying to ruin his reputation.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 2:46 pm

What are your thoughts on Nigel Benn's PED use, Gordy?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 23 Nov 2012, 3:05 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:What are your thoughts on Nigel Benn's PED use, Gordy?

Mrs McManaman still has the blood stained shoe doesn't she?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down