The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets v Leinster.....It begins.

+28
KiaRose
2ndtimeround
asoreleftshoulder
Artful_Dodger
Cyril
sheephead
Rory_Gallagher
Golden
flyhalffactory
MMC
HammerofThunor
maestegmafia
Steffan
VinceWLB
Coleman
Breadvan
wales606
LeinsterFan4life
Cari
Gibson
The Saint
profitius
Jenifer McLadyboy
international197
Jhamer25
thebandwagonsociety
ScarletSpiderman
St John The Enforcer
32 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scarlets v Leinster.....It begins. - Page 3 Empty Scarlets v Leinster.....It begins.

Post by St John The Enforcer Mon 02 Sep 2013, 9:16 am

First topic message reminder :

Finally. Another season is upon us.

What's the gossip in Scarletville? John Barclay fit? Any concerns? Feelig confident? How did your pre season friendlys go?

Leinster have a bad record in opening games, having won just 1 of the last 10 or so.

Hoping a new coach can turn that around. We will be missing our 5 remaining Lions, and a few more returning from injury.

We lost both our friendlies but played well with a mainly academy side out.

Bring it on. Let's go.

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Leinster.....It begins. - Page 3 Empty Re: Scarlets v Leinster.....It begins.

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:06 pm

Steffan wrote:Anyone know what whopping crowd they had for this game?
You sound like a bitter person, first calling the Scarlets "Llanelli", and now a sarcastic "whopping"

I heard it was over 7100
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Leinster.....It begins. - Page 3 Empty Re: Scarlets v Leinster.....It begins.

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:07 pm

Who played well for Leinster?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:10 pm

Gopperth played well. Sorry if the names wrong.

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:10 pm

Considering that was largely a 2nd string Leinster side, they were awesome. Brilliant result 19-42.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:11 pm

Blimey, Llanelli absolutely smashed by Leinster reserves.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:13 pm

I've predicted just about every result wrong tonight. Well played Leinster thats an amazing scoreline taking everything into consideration.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:14 pm

Fantastic result and 2nd half performance.O'Connor gets his reign off to a flyer so can't ask for much more although there is still plenty of areas we can improve.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:17 pm

Anyone know what happened to Fitz?

Thought Hudson did really well when he came on. He should see a lot of gametime this season.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:18 pm

I thought Leinster just did the basics well. Didn't force it. Scarlets seemed to force it at every opportunity and mistakes told

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:19 pm

Lacey might have had a yellow shirt but his heart tonight was deepest green.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:40 pm

Cyril wrote:Blimey, Llanelli absolutely smashed by Leinster reserves.
Usual trash talk from the 'rugby fan' who doesn't seem to support a team. I wonder if it's just so he can just coat-tail whoever is playing Wales, seeing as he's one of the bitter Englanders who needs to latch on to Australia's wins against Wales.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:41 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I thought Leinster just did the basics well. Didn't force it. Scarlets seemed to force it at every opportunity and mistakes told
Yeah have to agree there. Leinster come in as a bit of an unknown to me. Some unfamiliar names and no Schmidt. That was some performance from them.
clap 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:43 pm

The Saint wrote:
Cyril wrote:Blimey, Llanelli absolutely smashed by Leinster reserves.
Usual trash talk from the 'rugby fan' who doesn't seem to support a team. I wonder if it's just so he can just coat-tail whoever is playing Wales, seeing as he's one of the bitter Englanders who needs to latch on to Australia's wins against Wales.
Be quiet Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Sep 2013, 9:51 pm

Cyril, firstly maybe it would be a good idea to commend Leinster. Secondly come back when you've nailed your colours to the mast because quite frankly you've always been a poor excuse for a rugby supporter. A Pro12 match thread going well for a change despite some altercations from said person and a bitter Ponty fan. I can't really add anything to what's been said, it was certainly vintage Leinster in that second half.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:00 pm

The Saint wrote:Cyril, firstly maybe it would be a good idea to commend Leinster. Secondly come back when you've nailed your colours to the mast because quite frankly you've always been a poor excuse for a rugby supporter. A Pro12 match thread going well for a change despite some altercations from said person and a bitter Ponty fan. I can't really add anything to what's been said, it was certainly vintage Leinster in that second half.
I agree. A well below-strength Leinster smashed Llanelli. Well done Leinster.

Cheers, Mr Powell. What's happened to Brett? I thought he might be here.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:02 pm

The good thing from a scarlets point of view was the scrum went really well, which was a big problem last season.

With players like Barclay and Davis to come in the Scarlets could have a strong team. Good luck in the rest of your campaign!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:12 pm

Cyril, I thought you'd changed your ways? You seem to be towing the line ever so nicely since you 'came back'! A pleasure to converse with, almost. Tread carefully old chap or you may find yourself cast out in the wilderness yet again, and that would be such a shame (until the SafeAsMilk/Sugarnspikes monikers come out again!).

Or maybe you've been on the sherry this eve and have let yourself go?!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:17 pm

It's just pathetic old Cyril, Griff. A pretend supporter coat-tailing every team that plays a Welsh one and sticking the boot in when he can. His lack of knowledge of the Pro12 teams and bitter resentment over the fact his national team can't get a break against us is on show here now and over on the Dragons thread. Up until tonight, I thought he was sound.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 06 Sep 2013, 10:21 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:The good thing from a scarlets point of view was the scrum went really well, which was a big problem last season.

With players like Barclay and Davis to come in the Scarlets could have a strong team. Good luck in the rest of your campaign!
That's true. But like last season I don't think Easterby is sure of the first team... I think the 2nd row is finally nailed on but I'm not so sure about the front row. Yes they did go well tonight but they weren't up against Healy and Ross. The backs just seemed to be a bunch of utility backs thrown together. RP made some good touches and looked like a rabbit in the headlights. You could tell he's had a break from rugby.

I'd say one target for them this year is to get a result against a Clermont supposedly on the wane. The last few games against them have just been embarrassing.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:32 pm

I thought Leinster looked quite poor in the first half - they missed something like 11 tackles which was most un-Leinster like; Scarlets defence were very quickly up when Leinster had the ball. Gradually the tide began to turn. I would be very frustrated if I were a Scarlets fan. The number of times they made unforced handling errors ... far too poor for a professional outfit. Gopperth impresssed; also the two wingers Hudson and Fanning. I hope Luke Fitz's injury is not too serious.

Well done Leinster - a very good result with what was mostly their 2nd string team.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 06 Sep 2013, 11:51 pm

Griff wrote:Cyril, I thought you'd changed your ways? You seem to be towing the line ever so nicely since you 'came back'! A pleasure to converse with, almost. Tread carefully old chap or you may find yourself cast out in the wilderness yet again, and that would be such a shame (until the SafeAsMilk/Sugarnspikes monikers come out again!).

Or maybe you've been on the sherry this eve and have let yourself go?!
You've forgotten TropicalHotdog!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sat 07 Sep 2013, 1:42 pm

Nothing less than expected , still no ball carriers in the second and back row for Scarlets, a back row that is slow to every break down.
It's all fine and well having offload kings all around the pitch but if you can't even catch a ball there is very little hope of winning a game.
Leinster as expected victors well done.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Sat 07 Sep 2013, 1:57 pm

Thought Gopperth and Macken looked really good. Been impressed with Fanning too, very dependable player, carries hard and does the basics well. Chuffed with the result, thought we were onto a hiding after 15 mins.

On the ref/tj, the Scarlets try was a joke, as was McGraths yellow card.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 07 Sep 2013, 1:58 pm

How was Jordi Murphy? I think he is a good prospect.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:04 pm

Just watching the game now... Leinsters Eoin Reddin gets away with murder feeding the scrum. Looks like Leinster have serious problems in the scrum too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:05 pm

Mickado wrote:Thought Gopperth and Macken looked really good. Been impressed with Fanning too, very dependable player, carries hard and does the basics well. Chuffed with the result, thought we were onto a hiding after 15 mins.

On the ref/tj, the Scarlets try was a joke, as was McGraths yellow card.
Agreed but also felt he was poor all round, every ruck had three or four Leinster players run on at least two meters ahead of the ball as blockers! totally illegal but he just ignored it.
But as already mentioned the better team won, so i guess it even out the refs incompetence.

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:07 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Just watching the game now... Leinsters Eoin Reddin gets away with murder feeding the scrum. Looks like Leinster have serious problems in the scrum too.
Yep Leinster as good as they are with quick ball they will struggle this season behind that scrum, Ospreys should easily snuff out any threat with there pack.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:21 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:How was Jordi Murphy?  I think he is a good prospect.
Played very well Rory, you are right looks a real talent. He took a great try at the start of the second half that really turned the game, gave Leinster their heads and the game moved forward in their favour from then on in.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:26 pm

Leinster are without Healy and Ross, their scrum will be significantly stronger with those 2 back.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm

Started badly missing tackles like most of the leinster team but sorted it out and improved as the 1st half went on.Bust out of the blocks in the 2nd half and was phenomenal.Great ball carrying and support runs allied to being a real nuisance at the ruck,was very close to being man of the match but he shot out of the line and missed his man badly leading to the first Scarlets try so I'd say that black mark was the reason Gopperth sneaked it ahead of him.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:33 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Leinster are without Healy and Ross, their scrum will be significantly stronger with those 2 back.
Aye thats true, likewise the scarlets backline will be stronger when Jonathan Davies returns to the centre and their back three get a bit more used to playing with each other in defence...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:43 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Started badly missing tackles like most of the leinster team but sorted it out and improved as the 1st half went on.Bust out of the blocks in the 2nd half and was phenomenal.Great ball carrying and support runs allied to being a real nuisance at the ruck,was very close to being man of the match but he shot out of the line and missed his man badly leading to the first Scarlets try so I'd say that black mark was the reason Gopperth sneaked it ahead of him.
Do you think he will put pressure on any of the starting back row for Leinster? He plays 7 as well. He seems to have leap frogged Dominic Ryan anyway.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:43 pm

Oh and are there any highlights?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:49 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Oh and are there any highlights?
iPlayer?

Scrum V on BBC 2 Wales will have the Highlights tomorrow evening.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:51 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Oh and are there any highlights?
iPlayer?

Scrum V on BBC 2 Wales will have the Highlights tomorrow evening.
Forgot about iplayer.. picard 

Thanks Maes.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:55 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Do you think he will put pressure on any of the starting back row for Leinster?  He plays 7 as well.  He seems to have leap frogged Dominic Ryan anyway.
If he can keep up an injury free run of consistent performances then he'd have to be in with a shot but I can't see him getting any of the big games ahead of Heaslip or SoB unless someone gets injured.You know how Irish rugby works,it's very hard to get ahead of a guy with a central contract and SoB is still top class so he won't lose his place.Maybe if SoB moved to 6 he could get a run but who knows.

He's still only 22 so if he had a good run of games in the Rabo this year and then started pushing for a 1st team spot next year I'd be happy enough.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 07 Sep 2013, 2:57 pm

6 isn't nailed on for Leinster is it? He could compete with Jennings for that spot. Ruddock was fairly anonymous last night IMO and has never really cut the mustard for me.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 07 Sep 2013, 3:03 pm

The Saint wrote:6 isn't nailed on for Leinster is it? He could compete with Jennings for that spot. Ruddock was fairly anonymous last night IMO and has never really cut the mustard for me.
Agreed regarding Ruddock, unfortunately he hasn't lived up to the potential he shown early in his career. At 6 it is either McLaughlin starting with O'Brien at 7, or O'Brien at 6 with Jennings at 7. So it really depends on whether or not the coach wishes to play O'Brien as a 6 or 7.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 07 Sep 2013, 3:04 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about McLaughlin.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat 07 Sep 2013, 3:29 pm

Ireland in general and Leinster in particular have great strength in the back row.

The Standard HC back row of the Schmidt has been MaLaughlin O'Brien Heaslip with Jennings coming on and O'Brien moving to 6.

Behind that you have Ruddock Ryan Murphy. ALL of those would walk into many back rows in Europe. Also Ben Marshall who can play 4 5 6 & 8. He is a serious talent who will probably end up in the 2nd row because of the Log jam in the back row.

Behind those 8 (Yes 8) you have Gilsenan, Leavy, Conan & Van der Flier in the academy. All of these have serious promise. Leavy in particular is dynamite and one to watch. Gilsenan has been a little unlucky with injury but a great player and leader. VDF has not had much of a look in because there are just so many.

Big Leo Auva'a will hardly get a look in this year I'd say. That makes 13, unlucky for some.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Sat 07 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm

The question I meant to answer before I went on that rave was who is ahead in the chasing pack of Ruddock Ryan and Murphy?

At 6 I'd say Ruddock, but probably Murphy at the 2 other positions.

Naturally Ruddock and Ryan are both 6s. Ryan has played 7 a lot because of the talent at 6

Murphy has been an 8 in junior rugby, but at 6'2" he is considered a little short for a top level 8. He can play across the back row like O'Brien (Who is also 6'2")

Ryan, after a serious run in Schmidt's first season has been unlucky with injury and if you are out, it is very hard to get back in.

I would see Murphy ahead of Ryan at 7 at the moment but that could change.

Murphy ahead of Ruddock too at 8. Personally I have never liked Ruddock at 8. Keep him at 6

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 07 Sep 2013, 4:28 pm

Shocking second half by the Scarlets their defence was pathetic, the no 11 looks like a rabbit in headlights and quite a few others were not much better.

Very professional performance by Leinster, looked very Leicester like! Got away with murder with the Irish ref but the Scarlets have only themselves to blame, far too many errors and tackling is not optional at this level!

Could be long season for the Scarlets faithful, great result by the Dragons though!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 07 Sep 2013, 4:30 pm

Could give some examples of what we got away with barring maybe the feed in the scrums?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 07 Sep 2013, 6:37 pm

No, I don't think Leinster got away with murder. Scarlets were lucky to get that try. If the ref had asked the TMO about the grounding I don't believe it would have been allowed. Again Scarlets have a promising squad with a number of talented individuals but are about as organised as a pub team on the field.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 07 Sep 2013, 8:05 pm

Lots of occasions of players running interference in front of the ball carrier, off side at rucks, hands in the ruck, lying offside in the rucks, a couple of important forward passes, lots of niggle and of course the scrum feeds. Listen, you have to play the ref and your ref let you get away with it, in the same position the Scarlet's fans would have been delighted.

Didn't make any difference to the result, the Scarlet's sloppy handling and even sloppier defence sorted that, I still think that better quality refereeing is essential for the quality of the Rabo to improve.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 07 Sep 2013, 9:12 pm

Seagultaf wrote:

Very professional performance by Leinster, looked very Leicester like!
How much do Leinster have to achieve before they get to look like themselves? I saw Leinster running smoothly in a particularly Leinster way, albeit it a long long way to any finish line.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 07 Sep 2013, 9:44 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

How much do Leinster have to achieve before they get to look like themselves?  I saw Leinster running smoothly in a particularly Leinster way, albeit it a long long way to any finish line.
To be fair Fly, Leinster and Leicester do look similar. Only a few letters here and there.

Not seen you in a while, bud Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 07 Sep 2013, 10:05 pm

Cyril wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

How much do Leinster have to achieve before they get to look like themselves?  I saw Leinster running smoothly in a particularly Leinster way, albeit it a long long way to any finish line.
To be fair Fly, Leinster and Leicester do look similar. Only a few letters here and there.

Howdy Cyril. Smile Yep, been having a summer sabbatical... and a refreshing one it was too.  One can forget what the real world is about sometimes as we all too often overcook our opinions on all things rugby in here.  So I've taken time away from the battery hen-house for a time and in truth I'll be keeping a low low profile for the foreseeable future too.  I might save most of my 606 time for the next 6N.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 07 Sep 2013, 10:18 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Cyril wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

Howdy Cyril. Smile Yep, been having a summer sabbatical... and a refreshing one it was too.  One can forget what the real world is about sometimes as we all too often overcook our opinions on all things rugby in here.  So I've taken time away from the battery hen-house for a time and in truth I'll be keeping a low low profile for the foreseeable future too.  I might save most of my 606 time for the next 6N.
Kudos Fly OK

Apparently there was a Lions series. Don't get involved. There lies insanity.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 07 Sep 2013, 10:50 pm

Cyril wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Cyril wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

Kudos Fly OK

Apparently there was a Lions series. Don't get involved. There lies insanity.
What happened Cyril? Did they win? Did BOD take them home as planned? Does it really matter?

Not that I'm really arsed like. Its just an over-hyped, HSBC sponsored (The bank of choice for  Multinational Extremists Inc) jolly now. Its time, as we knew it, has long gone.  

Welcome back Fly on the Wall. Missed yer insights...

guinness  guinness guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next