The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs somerset LV county championship

+3
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

surrey vs somerset LV county championship - Page 2 Empty surrey vs somerset LV county championship

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Surrey have named a fourteen man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Somerset at Taunton starting on Wednesday.
Gary Wilson returns to the squad having missed the recent games against Derbyshire and Middlesex due his involvement in Ireland’s ODI’s. Chris Tremlett is also named having been rested for the game against Middlesex and Zafar Ansari has recovered from the thumb injury that forced him to miss the game against Middlesex.
After a run of low scores Arun Harinath has not been selected in the squad and Dominic Sibley will open the batting against Somerset and make his First Class debut
The Surrey squad to play Somerset in the LV=County Championship match at Taunton on Wednesday 11th September, Thursday 12th September, Friday 13th September and Saturday 14th September :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Hashim Amla
Zafar Ansari
Rory Burns
Steven Davies
Zander De Bruyn
Jade Dernbach
Gary Keedy
Tim Linley
Stuart Meaker
Dominic Sibley
Vikram Solanki
Chris Tremlett
Gary Wilson

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs somerset LV county championship - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs somerset LV county championship

Post by JDizzle Thu 12 Sep 2013, 4:16 pm

Chawla has been a really good overseas signing for us. Contributed with both bat and ball. Nice to see Meschede stepping up with the ball and him and Gregory contributing with the bat. Hoping for a lead of over a 100 to make us feel safe-ish, or as safe as you can with Amla in the other team.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

surrey vs somerset LV county championship - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs somerset LV county championship

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 12 Sep 2013, 4:38 pm

260 all out a very useful 65 lead

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:01 pm

The difference as usual was the tail - Surrey's last 4 added 65, Somerset's added approx 130, hence the lead.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:11 pm

20 overs left tonight

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:13 pm

Surrey's last three added one!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:24 pm

off for bad light again

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:35 pm

stumps 52 behind
biggest day of the season coming up

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:41 pm

At least Ansari took a few wickets, and the openers survived the last few overs - which will obviously be good for Sibley's morale. Massive pressure on our batsmen to perform tomorrow.  

Weather forecast keeps on changing but at the moment it looks as though we may lose some of the afternoon play tomorrow and then Saturday may be dry. So there is a fair chance of a result - especially if our batting is up to it's usual standard. Rolling Eyes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:42 pm

are batty and Trego playing this game, for their respective sides?

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 Sep 2013, 5:43 pm

Yes.  In the respective first innings both scored in the high 30s and both took 1 wicket.  For some reason Batty only bowled four overs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:15 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:At least Ansari took a few wickets, and the openers survived the last few overs - which will obviously be good for Sibley's morale. Massive pressure on our batsmen to perform tomorrow.  

Weather forecast keeps on changing but at the moment it looks as though we may lose some of the afternoon play tomorrow and then Saturday may be dry. So there is a fair chance of a result - especially if our batting is up to it's usual standard. Rolling Eyes
Weather could be heavily significant and detrimental. Even IF (big "if") we can get our game together, we can't afford too much more time being lost. It will take more than one day for us to make up a deficit of 50 plus, establish a decent lead and then take 10 wickets.

As pointed out by the Corporal on the wallpaper site, I think we all know where we are now drinking ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:22 pm

How much is a decent lead for Surrey? With the Somerset batting line up and the pressure of chasing in what is effectively a relegation decider anything north of 150 will be a challenge...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:46 pm

Hi JD - I understand you saying 150 although I was thinking of at least 180. Probably only natural for both of us to be doubtful of our own side's capabilities!

For Surrey to even get a lead of 150, we're going to need to get 200 more which could take us into the final session of tomorrow (assuming little weather interruption). We would then still need around two sessions to skittle you for around 130.

All this is going to need the weather playing ball for around 70 per cent of the time over the remaining two days - plus a major upturn in Surrey's all round performance!

I think you, JD, need to worry more about Derbys between now and the end of the month....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:06 pm

I think from your response Guildford, using the well known rule of pessimism which I've just made up, we can assume that a chase of anything less than 150 favours Somerset, whilst anything between 150-180 is about even and if Surrey get a lead of above that then they become distinguishable favourites.

Tomorrow seems to be the main troubles day with regards to the weather, Saturday looks like it should have a full day's play. At the moment I'd say, given both sides batting frailties, a results looks odds on.

Hopefully the best Derbyshire can come away from their current game with Durham is a draw but certainly they have an easy fixture last up against an injury weakened, nothing to play for Warwicks whilst Somerset are up against Notts who hopefully will be safe by then.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:44 am

After hour delay they have started. Sibley hits a couple of boundaries to move on to his highest first class score of 12*.  More heavy rain during the afternoon looks more or less guaranteed.

But now he is out - playing unnecessarily at a very wide one.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:59 am

Amla out for a duck - completing a pair in the match. Sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:12 pm

Meanwhile Church says he is wearing an odd pair of shoes that he bought the other day - different sizes.

Burns has batted for 40 mins this morning so far without scoring....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm

The curse of batting for Surrey has hit Amla.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:15 pm

Burns throws his wicket away.  The third Surrey batsman to be out flashing at a wide ball.  Particularly poor as it was very obvious that players were about to come off with the rain getting heavier all the time. picard picard  That will be it for the day. Doh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:19 pm

I was just about to comment that there is a lot I like about Burns... I'll take the blame for the wicket Sorry 

Still trying to get my mind around Surrey's struggles this year...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:22 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
Still trying to get my mind around Surrey's struggles this year...
Mike - main difficulty is knowing where to begin Shocked 

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:39 pm

always a shame when a team doesn't have to work hard to get wkts
this surrey team are so giving Rolling Eyes 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:02 pm

32 for 4 in effect. Not good. Best we can hope for is a draw, but with the weather like this, there's less chance of getting wins now so unlikely we'll get the wins from the last 2 games. Div 2 here we come.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:18 pm

kingdaveeagle wrote:32 for 4 in effect. Not good. Best we can hope for is a draw, but with the weather like this, there's less chance of getting wins now so unlikely we'll get the wins from the last 2 games. Div 2 here we come.
King Dave - you are spot on if, perhaps, a little more restrained than I expected.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:25 pm

play abandoned for the day sadly i think somerset will only need 2 sessions to win this match weather permitting

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Sep 2013, 10:41 am

Davies goes early after hitting a couple of boundaries.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 14 Sep 2013, 10:47 am

I think I've said everything about davies I have to

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 14 Sep 2013, 10:52 am

Looks like I was wrong about Somerset needing two sessions to win

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sat 14 Sep 2013, 10:54 am

Can't they make just a little bit of effort? Last two 'batsmen' gone in the first 20 minutes of play. All caught. Pathetic.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Sep 2013, 11:08 am

The Brain brings down the curtain on his poor season.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 14 Sep 2013, 11:47 am

Son of boris gone

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 14 Sep 2013, 11:54 am

Batty gone I should have stuck with 2 sessions lol

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 14 Sep 2013, 12:20 pm

All out Somerset need 133 to win

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Sep 2013, 12:27 pm

The last rites!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Sep 2013, 12:53 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:The last rites!
Even the normally ever hopeful Churchy seems resigned to our fate.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Sep 2013, 2:27 pm

Somerset coasting it. Just 25 more needed with 7 wickets left. Dreadful return (0-45 off 6 overs) from Tremlett.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Sep 2013, 2:46 pm

#gutted

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Sep 2013, 2:51 pm

That's it.

Somerset win by 7 wickets. A great day for them, made even better by Derbys somehow looking to have plucked defeat out of an almost certain draw against Durham. Too late for Derbys mucking up to do us any good.

Churchy's co-commentator from Radio Somerset said that ''Surrey contributed significantly to their own downfall''. True of this match and the season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 14 Sep 2013, 6:32 pm

Ok, Div 2 here we come and there we'll stay. Easy to panic at the end of such a lousy season. I'd say thanks and so long to Keedy (...why?) and The Brain for starters. I fear Roy is about to take the well-trodden route of former Surrey success stories - Carberry, Clarke, H-B, Jordan.
Tremlett might be a surprise release, no spring chicken and injury-prone unless he gets picked for the Ashes and has a storming injury-free series.

I'd keep Solanki, Davies (just), the other seamers - with extensive batting practice, they can't all bat at 11 - and Batty. Sibley will get better, Wilson, Burns and Harinath are worth another season. Any new recruits should ideally be ambitious young quality batsmen after a new challenge. Smith can't return soon enough - and he obviously gets on well with Stewart.

Meanwhile, what price this crew absolutely cream Yorks in the last game of the season when they have been pipped to the title by Durham and we're officially dead and buried!

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 14 Sep 2013, 6:33 pm

Ok, Div 2 here we come and there we'll stay. Easy to panic at the end of such a lousy season. I'd say thanks and so long to Keedy (...why?) and The Brain for starters. I fear Roy is about to take the well-trodden route of former Surrey success stories - Carberry, Clarke, H-B, Jordan.
Tremlett might be a surprise release, no spring chicken and injury-prone unless he gets picked for the Ashes and has a storming injury-free series.

I'd keep Solanki, Davies (just), the other seamers - with extensive batting practice, they can't all bat at 11 - and Batty. Sibley will get better, Wilson, Burns and Harinath are worth another season. Any new recruits should ideally be ambitious young quality batsmen after a new challenge. Smith can't return soon enough - and he obviously gets on well with Stewart.

Meanwhile, what price this crew absolutely cream Yorks in the last game of the season when they have been pipped to the title by Durham and we're officially dead and buried!

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 15 Sep 2013, 1:37 am

is there a echo in here Laugh 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2