The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Misleading Stats and Lazy Journalism.

+11
ChequeredJersey
funnyExiledScot
GunsGerms
The Saint
Taylorman
Hood83
GoodinTightSpaces
fa0019
Biltong
Cyril
GloriousEmpire
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Misleading Stats and Lazy Journalism. - Page 2 Empty Misleading Stats and Lazy Journalism.

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 13 Sep 2013, 10:50 am

First topic message reminder :

Sometimes stats are helpful. Like the statistic on the scoreboard. That's about it.

For instance. NZ are poised to become the most successful test nation ever, by eclipsing France's record tally of victories overall. But given that France have wedged in nearly 30% more test matches than NZ somehow, this is an utterly futile record. Right up there with the worlds record test try scorer.

Another irritation of mine is the way Sam Cane is being talked up in NZ media right for having a high statistic for "arrivals at rucks". No doubt the guy is athletic and gets around the park, but more important is what he does when he gets there. I don't care if he hits 70 rucks a game if he's utterly effectless when he gets there, or gives away penalties. Not saying the guy can't do his job, just that this stat is meaningless.

The next one is winning streaks. SA have 9, NZ have 6 on the trot. So what? one team will lose and what bearing on the result will the previous games have? None.

Percentage successful kicks. Again, says nothing about the record of a kicker against a given opponent, or take into account the elements of altitude or weather involved.

These things get bandied around to no end in the media, and I think they smack of lazy journalism or a writer without the ability to express a coherent opinion based on his or her own knowledge and ability to read the game or analyse the factors that are likely to be pertinent.

For example, I put it to you that NZ are already the most succesful test nation ever. And one more victory, or not, isn't going to change that.

Last edited by GloriousEmpire on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Misleading Stats and Lazy Journalism. - Page 2 Empty Re: Misleading Stats and Lazy Journalism.

Post by propdavid_london Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:41 am

I used to like the way that Chris Patterson was billed as Mr 100%. I think for something like 2 international seasons he didn't miss a kick at posts for Scotland.
But what wasn't mentioned is that most of his were in and around the 22m line - anything that was a bit further out or a bit trickier was given to Dan Parks to have a crack at - hence preserving the 100% record.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2