The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fat-Toney

+8
88Chris05
Mr Bounce
milkyboy
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Steffan
Mayweathers cellmate
bhb001
catchweight
12 posters

Go down

Fat-Toney Empty Fat-Toney

Post by catchweight Tue 24 Sep 2013, 4:19 am

After challenging for the cruiserweight title and getting spanked, James Toney fought Bobby Gunn in a heavyweight fight five months later. In between the two fight he put on 49lbs of pure lard. Anyone know of a boxer putting on that kind of weight in between two fights in a short period?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Fat-Toney Empty Re: Fat-Toney

Post by bhb001 Tue 24 Sep 2013, 8:12 am

Not as extreme, but Archie Moore was known for his ability to move through the weights, up and down, very quickly. From memory, he seemed to put down his ability to do this to some sort of aboriginal diet! A quick scan of Boxing rec show the biggest jumps were towards the end of his career, unsurprisingly, where he would vary 20 to 30 lbs (up and down) while still fighting ecery two or three months.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 24 Sep 2013, 8:25 am

Ah yes, Old Archie. Now there is proper legend. I wonder what he make of the current light heavyweights? Id like to see Old Hoppo try to outstink Old Archie - or not perhaps. Ward might give him a fight.....

....for a round or two.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Tue 24 Sep 2013, 10:44 am

catchweight wrote:After challenging for the cruiserweight title and getting spanked, James Toney fought Bobby Gunn in a heavyweight fight five months later. In between the two fight he put on 49lbs of pure lard. Anyone know of a boxer putting on that kind of weight in between two fights in a short period?
Didn't he beat Jirov in a decent scrap for the CW title?

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:21 am

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:
catchweight wrote:After challenging for the cruiserweight title and getting spanked, James Toney fought Bobby Gunn in a heavyweight fight five months later. In between the two fight he put on 49lbs of pure lard. Anyone know of a boxer putting on that kind of weight in between two fights in a short period?
I had to look back 10 years on boxing rec to see that one. He's probably lost something between then and now.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:21 am

Toney v Gunn:

Fat-Toney 04-5th%20fight%20pictures%20242

Toney v Browne:

Fat-Toney 42813toney00t

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:29 am

Here's a link to a Toney story I found today coincidentally , from a book that's well regarded, "Dark Trade" by Donald McRae

http://boxingnewsonline.net/latest/feature/the-dark-prince

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:30 am

Watching some interviews with him and its a disgrace that people dont sit him down and tell him that he is a joke.

Slurred speech, rolls his eyes as if hes stoned and then weighs about 40 stone.....and he then goes on to say that he wants to fight the Klitschkos hahaha.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2013, 11:35 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Watching some interviews with him and its a disgrace that people dont sit him down and tell him that he is a joke.Slurred speech, rolls his eyes as if hes stoned and then weighs about 40 stone.....and he then goes on to say that he wants to fight the Klitschkos hahaha.
If they do, he'd go into meltdown and I don't think anyone fancies mopping up that much liquid

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 24 Sep 2013, 12:18 pm

Decent book dark trade, McRae had a bit of manlove for toney.

Toney's first stab at cruiser was pretty impressive. He'd been a very porky heavy for many years before getting back down to cruiser and fighting lebedev. So I guess he was just putting back on (what the gastric band had taken off) for the gunn fight.

I'm sure chris will have a view on his favourite  salad dodger!

Nothing like the same poundage, but given the profile of the fight, Douglas' burger diet between Tyson and holy was not insignificant.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 24 Sep 2013, 12:36 pm

From what I remember remember, Big Bad Buster Douglas loved a tub or two of Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice-Cream in one sitting, so it's no surprise he was out of shape for Commander Vander.

As for Fat Toney, I wonder if he has money issues as he seems to want to fight anyone, regardless of how fat he is. His calling out of Wlad & Vitali stems from his WBA Title win over Ruiz which was stripped from him due to his positive test. He held a portion the HW crown and believes (incorrectly) he can and should win it back. Don't think all his dogs are barking anymore...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Tue 24 Sep 2013, 1:36 pm

bhb001 wrote:
Mayweathers cellmate wrote:
I had to look back 10 years on boxing rec to see that one. He's probably lost something between then and now.
I think the problem was what he gained between then and now.

If Toney could have stayed around the 215 mark at HW he could've done well. I remember Rahman saying that if Toney had come in in better shape he'd have beaten him, and Rahman was one of the top guys at the time of their draw.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 24 Sep 2013, 8:43 pm

I did a quick check there. Fat-Toney weighed 157lbs in his first world title fight. At heavyweight he fought once weighing 257lbs. A 100lb gain. Is there any boxer in history that has put on that kind of weight over a career?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 24 Sep 2013, 9:07 pm

catchweight wrote:I did a quick check there. Fat-Toney weighed 157lbs in his first world title fight. At heavyweight he fought once weighing 257lbs. A 100lb gain. Is there any boxer in history that has put on that kind of weight over a career?
And y'all laughed at me when I told you that Toney was a one-off whose name would go down in the record books......
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 24 Sep 2013, 9:15 pm

This interview about 'David Gay' and the 'Klitschko Sisters' makes me laugh:

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 25 Sep 2013, 1:36 pm

The most surprising thing about that interview is that Fat-Toney is in a gym.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:02 pm

He's always in the gym, its just he does very little in it and goes to KFC after.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:06 pm

JCC Jr started at Superfeather weight (130lbs) in 2003.

He's now walking about at 190lbs - not as extreme, but in 10 years he's become a right ol' porker! The kid was reliant on duiretics to make 160lbs in 2007 so it shows how chunky he got in a short time too.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:14 pm

Guillermo Jones started off as a Welterweight. Challenged for a World title at Light-Middle twice, drew and dropped a SD, and went on to pick up a World Title at Cruiser.

His lightest weight was 145 and his heaviest was 213 according to boxrec.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 25 Sep 2013, 3:20 pm

Wow. Its hard to imagine JCC being a superfeatherweight. At middleweight weigh ins he looks skeletal.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 25 Sep 2013, 4:02 pm

He grew an awful lot did JCC Jr. Remember him on the Manny Vs. Cotto undercard fighting at Welterweight I think ,he looked tiny in comparison.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 25 Sep 2013, 10:45 pm

Was he really a Super Featherweight? I remember him being a very skinny Welterweight

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 25 Sep 2013, 10:52 pm

In fairness, Chavez Jnr was just a kid when he turned professional. Punching for pay at 17, I believe. Given that he was still growing and also was yet to start high-level training, it's only natural that he's moved up a good few weights since - although the fact that he's walking around at about 190-odd lb these days between fights is a bit alarming, I admit!

Cleverly has filled out in to a genuine Light-Heavyweight, but turned professional as a Light-Middleweight aged 18, for instance. Bute is just about as big as it gets for a Super-Middleweight, but was still a Welterweight in the amateur ranks as a 21-year-old, too. Fighters can generally still be growing in to a natural weight class as late as 23 / 24.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down