The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 4 Preview

+25
Heaf
doctor_grey
Poorfour
BigTrevsbigmac
Hood83
HammerofThunor
nathan
Dubbelyew L Overate
Bathite
SirBurger
stnick88
tooboredtowork
Hound of Harrow
Bathman_in_London
Scrumpy
Geordie
HongKongCherry
ChequeredJersey
Sgt_Pooly
Ozzy3213
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
yappysnap
LondonTiger
29 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 4 Preview - Page 3 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 4 Preview

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

Table:

Friday 27th September

19:45 Northampton Saints v Sale Sharks (BT Sports)
Saints and Sharks enter this fixture both with two wins and separated by a single point in the table. Do not let that fool you into thinking this will be close. Sale are a decent, workmanlike side - but Saints, always powerful, now have a real sprinkling of stardust. Northampton will be hurting from the nature of their defeat last week, but will hopefully have reflected on the things they failed to do to secure the victory Mallinder felt his team deserved. Mallinder has spoken about the need to rotate his team more than they usually do if they are to reach the end of the season with enough left in the tank to win a trophy. With their smaller than average squad, that may be tricky - and for this game probably just means that the Pisi brothers will return to the team.
Steve Diamond was rather cagy when discussing Danny Cipriani's performance last week. He knows that he has a match winner on his hands, but at the same time there is obviously something about Cipriani's dedication that rubs the Sale boss up the wrong way. With Nick McLeod looking to have picked up a serious injury, their is little alternative to the former england man. I do wonder though just how strong the team around him will be. I can see Diamond resting a number of players ahead of their home fixture next week.

Surely a comfortable win for Saints

Saturday 28th September

15:00 Bath Rugby v London Irish
So, did Gary gold and Mike Ford rest players to save them, or did they really think they had the right tactics last week. Irrelevant now, but Gold looked rather chastened in post match interviews. For the return to the Rec we can expect to see the powerful players omitted last week, and George Ford, re-instated to the starting lineup. The LI old boys will be especially keen to impress against their old team. While Jonathan Joseph is in the EPS and Matt Garvey gets the 606 plaudits I reckon that Anthony Watson will turn out to be the biggest success. I fully expect him to show LI what they are missing.
London Irish of course still have some excellent backs themselves, from the experienced Irish half-backs to the every improving Marland Yarde. With 4 tries in 3 matches Yarde has shown power, pace and an eye for the line. Will surely earn more England caps this season. However in the end, like most matches, this will be decided by the battle up front. Bath's pack looks too big and too strong.

Bath to win by more than 7

15:00 London Wasps v Worcester Warriors
The two bottom teams meet in a vital clash. With the number of points that Warriors have been conceding, DR Dean Ryan should perhaps spend more time working on his team's frailties and less on moaning about referees. Worcester do not look like a side who will score lots of tries, so they must improve their defence.
Wasps have garnered 3 LBPs from their 3 matches - all effectively away from home. As they play yheir first match at their own ground this week, they will feel that they are just a tiny improvement away from winning games. Losing however can become a habit and Wasps will be desperate to win this one and avoid heading to Saracens in round 5 seeking their first win.

Gut feel that Wasps will turn it on for a comfortable win

15:15 Harlequins v Saracens (BT Sports)
Probably the highlight of this rounds fixtures, sees the two losing semi-finallists from last season meet for the first time this season. Against a poor Worcester team, Quins showed championship winning form last week. If they can play at, or close to, their best they should be able to win this match. Saracens however are in stunningly good form. If you cannot dominate them up front, they are very good at steam rollering teams. This has already been demonstrated against three packs which, for various reasons, are not the strongest Sarries will face.
Quins will be the toughest match so far for Sarries, but are they strong enough? Certainly the more technical Quins front row will look to get the ref on their side early, whilke elsewhere they will be looking to move the bigger pack around and tire them out. In the end I feel this match will be decided at the breakdown. Sarries are expert at slowing down opposition ball, some would argue killing the ball and Quins have to counter this.

Saracens continue winning ways

Sunday 29th September

14:00 Exeter Chiefs v Leicester Tigers (BT Sports)
In their first televised match of the season, Chiefs welcome the defending champions looking to replicate the results of two seasons ago. Both sides have two wins, and whoever seals victory in this match will find themselves in the Top4. Both sides have injury issues, but then who doesn't. Tigers will need to play better than they have so far this season if they are to travel home with a win.

Newcastle Falcons v Gloucester Rugby
Gloucester secured their first win of the season in controversial fashion last week, while Falcons appeared to gift tigers victory by resting key players. Falcons have to pick a big pack and hope that Blair and Clegg/Godman can keep them in the right part of the pitch. Thing is, even then Gloucester look to have too much ability.

Gloucester to continue the new found winning habit

Last edited by LondonTiger on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:28 pm; edited 5 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 4 Preview - Page 3 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 4 Preview

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:48 pm

He's consistently awful, his reffing of the scrum is baffling.

Terriblel ref

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 4 Preview - Page 3 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 4 Preview

Post by nathan Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:51 pm

Have to admit, I'm fairly impressed with sale. They've improved loads since last season. I never thought much bout Steve diamond but he's got this sale team well drilled.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Well done refs, but what a brilliant try that would of been.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Cips kicking has been 50/50 this game.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:11 pm

Why didn't Haywood pass!??

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Lovely snipe by the young 9 Fowles. Well deserved consolation try. Sale have played well but have not been clinical. Saints have been brutally clinical and come away with points from their visits to the opposition 22 where Sale have knocked on or got isolated.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:37 pm

OK, this may sound unusual...but I think Sale's pack is far, far better coached than Saints, and I honestly don't think Mallinder and West are taking that team forward. Some top signings are papering over a pack that is extremely powerful but lumpen and some pretty unimaginative backs minus one great first phase move.

Mallinder's answer to everything seems to be 'more power'. I think they'll come unstuck against Leicester and Sarries.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Like I said. Just over 7 point win.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:47 pm

This Grayson blokes talking up saints as world beaters.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Malinder has the most annoying mannerisms lol

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:44 am

First time I've really seem Sam Dickinson who deservedly got man of the match - very impressive & a good buy for the Saints.

Burrell also looks as though he has a lot of potential. Dickson & Elliot were good to.

I see Eastmond is due to start for Bath today which is good news for Lancaster who certainly has options at centre now.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:20 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:First time I've really seem Sam Dickinson who deservedly got man of the match - very impressive & a good buy for the Saints.

Burrell also looks as though he has a lot of potential. Dickson & Elliot were good to.

I see Eastmond is due to start for Bath today which is good news for Lancaster who certainly has options at centre now.
Yeah - though friends very close to Northampton describe Burrell as "a work in progress". Dickinson looked the real deal, though - encouragingly given the need for challengers to Morgan and Vunipola. What's his background? I'd not seen him before. I was also very impressed with Dan Braid - another unfamiliar face that I would like to see more of.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:24 am

Anyone else think Foden still not looking great? I keep hearing how well he's playing but yet to see anything in this.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:39 am

Foden has looked more of an attacking threat agin this year so far. Not back to his very best yet, but appears to be heading in the right direction.

Oh, and it's Saturday, it's GAME DAY, which means it's heart over head time and we are gonna smash Bath senseless.

Leprechaun COME ON YOU IRISH!!!!!Leprechaun 
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:42 am

Good luck Ozzy. I'd like to see Irish win (or hear as I'll listening on the radio).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Poorfour, Dan Braid is an experienced Kiwi who would have had a whole load more caps were it not for McCaw, he signed for Sale last season around Christmas time and was a key ingredient in their turnaround.

Sam Dickinson is a Manchester born unit who was signed up by Rotherham and after a few years there got nicked by Saints. He missed the entirety of last season with injury but now has the chance to make a mark at his new club. At 27 he's not really likely to develop much more so England representation might be unlikely but could happen if there's a couple of injuries. England aren't short of 8s with Morgan, Vunipola, Crane and Waldrom in the EPS and Saxons.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Late change for us. iHumph out injured (not sure with what), so Shane Geraghty starts and Myles Dorrian comes onto the bench.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Hood83 wrote:OK, this may sound unusual...but I think Sale's pack is far, far better coached than Saints, and I honestly don't think Mallinder and West are taking that team forward. Some top signings are papering over a pack that is extremely powerful but lumpen and some pretty unimaginative backs minus one great first phase move.

Mallinder's answer to everything seems to be 'more power'. I think they'll come unstuck against Leicester and Sarries.
Not sure either where Mallinder is taking Saints.  To be fair, his Saints teams have always been competitive and his record is excellent.  So he deserves the benefit of the doubt.  This season, the team is playing a more aggressive attacking style, perhaps courtesy of Alex King.  But we have a long, long way to go.  Really want to see Saints standing at the end.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:39 pm

This is painful! Sad 
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Ozzy, watching/listening/just score updates? Still early yet.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Listening. 26-3 down and Bath have the TBP, minute or so to half time.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Try from Geraghty. 26-10 now.

Banahan in front off the kicker from the kick off, but nothing from the ref.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Bath get another try. 33-10 now.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Jesus, Bath certainly look strong when they roll the big guns out.

Worcester getting stuck into Wasps by the sounds

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Injuries for Attwood and Watson putting a dampener on what is sounding like a very good first half for Bath.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:55 pm

I'll need to watch the game when it's up online, as radio commentary is often difficult to tell from, but from what I've got so far it was pretty even for the first 15 minutes but Bath managed to take their chances. Two of the Bath tries at this point are described as 'controversial' with TMO decisions going against us. Missed tackles and poor discipline have cost us though.

They have been much the better side, but sounds like we've not had much luck out there.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:12 pm

12-6 at half time. Nev has got his kicks so the chances are he won't miss today. Hopefully we don't concede whilst Mo is in the bin
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:24 pm

Wasps 22-9 Worcs. 3 tries to 0 but Goode has missed every conversion and a pen.

Nathan Hughes is a very useful no 8.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Sounds like we've been much better since the break. At least showing some heart out there which is good to see.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Try from Geraghty. 26-10 now.  

Banahan in front off the kicker from the kick off, but nothing from the ref.
Maybe Pierce gets his glasses from the same place Fox does ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:I'll need to watch the game when it's up online, as radio commentary is often difficult to tell from, but from what I've got so far it was pretty even for the first 15 minutes but Bath managed to take their chances.  Two of the Bath tries at this point are described as 'controversial' with TMO decisions going against us.  Missed tackles and poor discipline have cost us though.

They have been much the better side, but sounds like we've not had much luck out there.
Make that 3 if you take Banahan getting away with offside into account before no. 5 - will be interesting to see the replay

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:44 pm

We're winning this half 8-0, but it's too little too late sadly.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Gone behind, think we are in trouble, we don't have the depth, Marler in the bin (shocker)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:48 pm

32-16 at Adams Park. BP to Wasps. 2 mins to go.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:04 pm

32-16 final score at Adams Park. Finally a win after 11 defeats..

Yahoo

Sorry Wuss fans.
Hug

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:10 pm

Happy with a tbp win but injuries to attwood, day and Watson plus the flat second half are all concerns. Irish did well in the second half seeing as they got a few yellow cards.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:32-16 final score at Adams Park. Finally a win after 11 defeats..

Yahoo

Sorry Wuss fans.
Hug

Things are already beginning to look a bit worrying from a Wuss perspective...

Glad you're happy though Hound - I didn't realise Wasps were on such a bad losing streak.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Sad can't complain about that result. Some good things but we are not quite at Sarries level over 80 mins. Need to work on discipline too. Time to drown my sorrows. Well done Beshocked, Knackered and Sarries. Not a shock as we always struggle vs you guys. Hopefully next time we'll carry on the good work from the first half
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks chequeredjersey. Good first 40 mins for Quins. Nice physicality but I felt Sarries turned up the pressure and intensity in the 2nd half.

Quins also very clinical in the first half - took every point on hand. Sarries in comparison wasted 3 clear cut try scoring opportunities in the first half.

Quins did well at the breakdown but problems at set piece eventually took their toil.

About 5 Quins line outs weren't straight either.

Defensively Quins were good though but sustained pressure meant it eventually cracked.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:53 pm

stub wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:32-16 final score at Adams Park. Finally a win after 11 defeats..

Yahoo

Sorry Wuss fans.
Hug

Glad you're happy though Hound - I didn't realise Wasps were on such a bad losing streak.
7 league losses (after having a 9w 6l record) at the end of last season, with an Amlin s/f loss to Leinster thrown in. Plus the first 3 games of this season.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Must be those Worcester imports that have finally turned things around!! Wink 

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Wink

Goode missed every conversion and a pen. Mullan got the first try and Carlisle got a straightforwd pen near the end.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:
stub wrote:

Yahoo

Sorry Wuss fans.
Hug

7 league losses (after having a 9w 6l record) at the end of last season, with an Amlin s/f loss to Leinster thrown in. Plus the first 3 games of this season.

Season is really starting bleak for Worcester.
Sale started last season poorly and survived by playing decent Rugby after December. But they had London Welsh imploding to give them a lifeline. Not sure the same thing will happen to benefit Worcester this season. Worcester have been on the edge of relegation disaster for a few seasons now. I know it is premature, but still wonder if this season it catches up with them. And, if so, do they have the resources to get back up?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Maybe Goode's still got a soft spot for Wuss!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:
stub wrote:

Yahoo

Sorry Wuss fans.
Hug

Season is really starting bleak for Worcester.  
Sale started last season poorly and survived by playing decent Rugby after December.  But they had London Welsh imploding to give them a lifeline.  Not sure the same thing will happen to benefit Worcester this season.  Worcester have been on the edge of relegation disaster for a few seasons now.  I know it is premature, but still wonder if this season it catches up with them.  And, if so, do they have the resources to get back up?
Yes, I don't know how deep Cecil Duckworth's pockets are...

I was at the London Irish match and could not work out how Wuss ended up losing that one which would have made things look better. I'm also hopeful that the team still hasn't completely gelled and will be more competitive once it does. I think there are 3 Argentinians due to come back from International duty that I hope make an impact but that remains to be seen. To be honest though I am worried and I even found myself hoping earlier that if this European dispute all goes wrong Wuss may be saved by the formation of an expanded AP!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:48 pm

I still think Falcons will be down there. Just not scoring enough points.

Drauniniu took hid try well today - showed all his 7s skills by stepping inside two defenders. Worcs made some lively breaks, but once Wasps cut out the daft penalties in the second half they controlled the 2nd half.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:50 pm

When I look at Worcester, I see a good Rugby man and passionate owner, Cecil Duckworth, who has pumped in so much of his own money and his personal energy, that it would be a shame for them to be relegated. We know he is not trying to build a Rugby monolith, rather a good solid Rugby club. But I wonder if one man's energy is enough?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:59 pm

IIRC Dean Ryann stated that he took the job only if he had support with a long term view rather than just staying in the Aviva each year.Which,IMHO,meant that there was the possibilty of relegation but he wanted to build something,2 of the top 4 for the last 2 seasons have been recently relegated.

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:I still think Falcons will be down there. Just not scoring enough points.

Drauniniu took hid try well today - showed all his 7s skills by stepping inside two defenders. Worcs made some lively breaks, but once Wasps cut out the daft penalties in the second half they controlled the 2nd half.
Yes - the Wuss/Falcons matches might end up determining who stays up...

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks everyone - some crumbs of comfort there for me - I'll try not to start panicking just yet. Still early days.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next