The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Price "I'd Fight Wilder In A Heartbeat"

+21
hogey
Lumbering_Jack
Mayweathers cellmate
tunes666
sparxz
compelling and rich
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Steffan
J.Benson II
Rodney
superflyweight
azania
Seanusarrilius
John Bloody Wayne
Mr Bounce
STC
TopHat24/7
ShahenshahG
ONETWOFOREVER
catchweight
Strongback
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

David Price "I'd Fight Wilder In A Heartbeat" Empty David Price "I'd Fight Wilder In A Heartbeat"

Post by Strongback Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:47 pm

Seems like David Price has decided to remerge after a period of reflection. He says he will appoint a new trainer in the coming weeks. He was part of the panel on Ringside last night.

Price suggested he would have two fights under his belt before the Haye v Fury clash and would be interested fighting Fury.

He spoke well and talked the talk. He mentioned the need to get things right psychologically.

So how do people see this comeback going and does he have any hope of beating Wilder?

Here's the Matchroom video.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8943228/ringside-extra-26th-september

Strongback

Back to top Go down

David Price "I'd Fight Wilder In A Heartbeat" Empty Re: David Price "I'd Fight Wilder In A Heartbeat"

Post by catchweight Fri 27 Sep 2013, 4:04 pm

It depends what is considered a successful comeback. Short answer is he is too old and lacks the heart and mental and physically toughness to get beyond a certain point. He was exposed by Thompson in bad way. But he is a good three round fighter with a powerful right hand in a division of rubbish.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

David Price "I'd Fight Wilder In A Heartbeat" Empty Re: David Price "I'd Fight Wilder In A Heartbeat"

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 27 Sep 2013, 4:05 pm

He'd get knocked out in a heartbeat too.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 27 Sep 2013, 4:05 pm

David Price: "I'd fight wilder in a heartbeat".

I guess he has even less faith in his chin than we do.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 27 Sep 2013, 4:05 pm

Get ko'd even quicker.....!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 27 Sep 2013, 4:36 pm

Wilder's chin hasn't been tested yet and we all know Price can hit hard. It might be a case of who lands cleanly first.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 27 Sep 2013, 4:38 pm

I don't think the chin is so much the issue here because a) he got hit round the ear in the first fight and b) he was never on the floor in the second fight.

It's all mental with David Price and as his last fight showed, it's unlikely he will progress much further. As everyone says, a good 3-round fighter (what odds would you get for him being in the next HW Prizefighter - which he'd likely win?). It'd be good to see him rebuild with some good wins, but can he actually step back up?

Other heavies will see him as a good scalp - all they would need to do is weather the storm and he should be good to go after 4 rounds. I bought into his early hype until Thompson exposed him. Price-Fury after the Haye fight? It's a possibility. Wilder? It'd be a step up for them both. And one of them would get KTFO.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 27 Sep 2013, 4:58 pm

Price looked great against guys better than Wilder's opposition.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:00 pm

Wilder KO 1. Jumps all over him like he did Audley. Price acts like Audley as he is terrified of being KO'd again.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:00 pm

STC wrote:Wilder's chin hasn't been tested yet and we all know Price can hit hard. It might be a case of who lands cleanly first.
Think David Haye found it cleanly enough and Mr Wilder was found wanting a little.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:04 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Wilder KO 1. Jumps all over him like he did Audley. Price acts like Audley as he is terrfied of being KO'd again.
Whatever your thoughts of Price, you can't really compare him to Audley in that regard. He was happy to take it to Thompon in the rematch, it's just he really doesn't have much in the way of tactical nous. He just covered up and allowed Thompson to pick shots with impunity and covered up instead of grabbing hold and walking him back to the ropes (surely on one the oldest tricks in the book)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:19 pm

Should I comment?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:25 pm

azania wrote:Should I comment?
I think the world (or at least this forum) would be a much calmer place if you didn't...there's a good chap!

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:31 pm

azania wrote:Should I comment?
Generally, or just in relation to this thread? Doesn't matter - my answer would be the same.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:33 pm

Listening to Price on Ringside, he seems a fighter who can't handle the big pressure of a fight , he won't go further than domestic level. The Thompson fight has taken every bit of edge away from him, I can see him fallen apart at the seams if he's matched in any sort of significant fight. Disappoints me to say this as he comes across as a thoroughly decent lad, hope I'm wrong.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:40 pm

Hard to fight to predict actually. Both are equally bad. Laugh 

Wilder will have more confidence but there is no one that he's beaten that Price wouldnt have.

Both guys have suspect punch resistance too. Price KO'd by Thompson and dropped on several occassions as an amateur.

Wilder was dropped by Harold Sconiers (who?) and also got sparked as an amateur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNO5bVPP-uw (1:50).

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUlfI5VlZuY

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:53 pm

Price would lose

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 27 Sep 2013, 5:55 pm

Think the "turns away like Audley" description is a bit of an exaggeration. Ok he did turn his back in the last couple of rounds before he got stopped, but in the 2nd Round he had Thompson down and hurt.

Nobody since Wlad had done that to Thompson.

So in regards to him fighting Wilder it would be interesting because like Price, he also doesnt know what its like to go into the middle rounds in a good scrap.

If Price takes him there with his jab then he could easy finish him off when hes done.

If Price comes out like a mad man looking for the KO ala Thompson then it will be lights out again for him.

Think Price showed its stamina more than anything in his last fight and if he has learnt that lesson he can certainly go a little further than he has so far.

Thats as good a description as I can muster up without the idiotic comments of some just stating "hes chinny" etc.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:00 pm

If, if, if. If Price had wings he could fly. An out of shape, fat 41 year old exposed him. He is a pure front runner. Totally lost when someone actually fights back. We all saw it when he fought Skelton. It seems some here do not want to believe their own eyes.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:05 pm

azania wrote:If, if, if. If Price had wings he could fly. An out of shape, fat 41 year old exposed him. He is a pure front runner. Totally lost when someone actually fights back. We all saw it when he fought Skelton. It seems some here do not want to believe their own eyes.
What did we tell you about responding?

Pig f***ing ignorant some people!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:40 pm

He quit against Thompson when things got tough in there. That doesnt bode well. He did ok against Thompson in the first two rounds but as soon as it got tough he gassed and surrendered. That wasnt even at the half way mark of the fight. Thats a huge problem for a boxer in the pro ranks. Alot more toughness mentally and physically is required.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:50 pm

Perhaps the more athletically astute of you will be able to decide whether this phenomenon I've heard bandied around is genuine and may be a factor in Price's "gassing" issues.

Basically heard some guys once talking about athletes having an "adrenaline dump" (keep you dirty comments to yourselves please) whereby they get so pumped up before a contest that their system gets flooded and almost overloads causing them to crash and burn.

Just wonder whether the pressure that was heaped on Price for the Thompson rematch (most it it probably self induced) cause him to burn out early..or it may just be that he has a psychological flaw and needs to believe. If Usain Bolt ever writes a "how to..." guide, someone should get Price a copy because he seriously doubts his abilities (I'd wager even more so than certain posters on here)

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 27 Sep 2013, 7:14 pm

think price would be too scared of wilder to fully engage him and hurt him after his loses to thompson. feel the confidence of the undefeated fighter would be key and see wilder being the aggressor and landing the clean shot to finish it, earliest

price does have the physical tools to hurt wilder though and while i'll doubt it would go 3 rounds i would like to see it, even if its just to test wilder against a guy who can dig

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 27 Sep 2013, 7:19 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Perhaps the more athletically astute of you will be able to decide whether this phenomenon I've heard bandied around is genuine and may be a factor in Price's "gassing" issues.

Basically heard some guys once talking about athletes having an "adrenaline dump" (keep you dirty comments to yourselves please) whereby they get so pumped up before a contest that their system gets flooded and almost overloads causing them to crash and burn.

Just wonder whether the pressure that was heaped on Price for the Thompson rematch (most it it probably self induced) cause him to burn out early..or it may just be that he has a psychological flaw and needs to believe. If Usain Bolt ever writes a "how to..." guide, someone should get Price a copy because he seriously doubts his abilities (I'd wager even more so than certain posters on here)
as daft as it sounds i would say adrenaline dump is more of a physiological problem than physical. its basically an inability to control your nerves meaning you burn up a lot of energy before you have even stepped into the ring. as a result i cant imagine it improving after the two loses to thompson. i would say after a while fighters learn to control this better and better. the only problem is price is no spring chicken and is already scarred and would take that much longer to recovery. something i don't think he has

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Fri 27 Sep 2013, 7:45 pm

His next step is to surely claim his Lonsdale belt outright against possibly sprott, towers or someone similar maybe also a commonwealth defence against overseas competition. , then step up to European level , he can do all this before next Xmas, so that going into 2015 he is European level with a view of maybe stepping to world levels at the end of 2015, any earlier is ludicrous. But with his age he needs 3/4 fights a year to get there

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:17 pm

Price did not lose because of his chin, in fact his chin took some clean shots... He lacked composure in taking the fight and during the fight.. trying to KO him too soon.. I think Adam Booth put it very well in saying that he had an anxiety attack and just lost all his composure and energy.. When WK lost to Brewster a similar thing happened.. If he has the desire to come back and rebuild I still think he can be a competitive force in the division.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:33 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
azania wrote:If, if, if. If Price had wings he could fly. An out of shape, fat 41 year old exposed him. He is a pure front runner. Totally lost when someone actually fights back. We all saw it when he fought Skelton. It seems some here do not want to believe their own eyes.
What did we tell you about responding?

Pig f***ing ignorant some people!!!!!!!!!!!
Sad 

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:56 pm

David Price "I'd Fight Wilder In A Heartbeat"
Gene Wilder?

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:59 pm

tunes666 wrote:Price did not lose because of his chin, in fact his chin took some clean shots... He lacked composure in taking the fight and during the fight..  trying to KO him too soon.. I think Adam Booth put it very well in saying that he had an anxiety attack and just lost all his composure and energy.. When WK lost to Brewster a similar thing happened..  If he has the desire to come back and rebuild I still think he can be a competitive force in the division.
Klitschko didnt quit though. Price gave up when he realised he was in a fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 Sep 2013, 10:26 pm

tunes666 wrote:Price did not lose because of his chin, in fact his chin took some clean shots... He lacked composure in taking the fight and during the fight..  trying to KO him too soon.. I think Adam Booth put it very well in saying that he had an anxiety attack and just lost all his composure and energy.. When WK lost to Brewster a similar thing happened..  If he has the desire to come back and rebuild I still think he can be a competitive force in the division.
Do me a favour mate. Please. The guy quit. Not just gassed but gave up. People give ortiz a hard time because he quit against Maidana. It wasn't nerves. It was cajones or the total and utter lack of them. Price lacks the mental strength to be a top class fighter or even an above average fighter in a below average division.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 27 Sep 2013, 10:41 pm

The ref stopped it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 27 Sep 2013, 10:46 pm

The ref gave him a standing 8 count. Price chose not to continue after it.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 27 Sep 2013, 10:55 pm

catchweight wrote:The ref gave him a standing 8 count. Price chose not to continue after it.
No he didn't, the reff decided he could not Continue..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:06 pm

azania wrote:
Do me a favour mate. Please.  The guy quit. Not just gassed but gave up. People give ortiz a hard time because he quit against Maidana. It wasn't nerves.  It was cajones or the total and utter lack of them. Price lacks the mental strength to be a top class fighter or even an above average fighter in a below average division.

If you cant recognize when a boxer is gassed then so be it... he was tired in r2, and Thompson worked the body well.. in r5 Price was on the back foot throwing spas punches then Thompson hit him clean about 8 times sending him back covering up, Price still threw a couple back and Thompson landed another 2 clean shots and lots of half shots and Price was dead on his feet trying to cover up... I don't call that quitting I just call it being stopped because he ran out of Gas to defend him self and to maintain a game plan to get him through it.... If anything I think Price done well not to go down.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:09 pm

tunes666 wrote:
catchweight wrote:The ref gave him a standing 8 count. Price chose not to continue after it.

The ref gave him every chance. He issued him a standing 8 count and then stepped back allowing the Price to continue. Price looked away and chose not to continue so the ref waved it off. The point of issuing him the 8 count was to give him a chance to recover and continue and Price didnt want to. Its quitting. Boxing is a tough sport and if you are going to be gassed after 2 rounds and give up then its going to be tough to survive in the pro game. Boxers fight with exhaustion all the time and have to tough it out. Price doesnt appear to have that kind of toughness.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:19 pm

LJ the ref also stopped Duran. He didn't quit either.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:31 pm

catchweight wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

The ref gave him every chance. He issued him a standing 8 count and then stepped back allowing the Price to continue. Price looked away and chose not to continue so the ref waved it off. The point of issuing him the 8 count was to give him a chance to recover and continue and Price didnt want to. Its quitting. Boxing is a tough sport and if you are going to be gassed after 2 rounds and give up then its going to be tough to survive in the pro game. Boxers fight with exhaustion all the time and have to tough it out. Price doesnt appear to have that kind of toughness.
Im not sure what you were looking at, but from where I was price was not even following the count as he could not get his breath.. I think the question is, was he gassed or what you seem to be implying, was he pretending to be gassed, I think he was gassed and had punched him self out against a smart boxer who worked his body well and landed about 10 clean punched to the head (which would have stopped most)

I guess as Prices body quit, you could say he quit, but I do not think it was his desire too quit...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:31 pm

Price completely run out of energy and when you are that huge its is hard to even lift your arms up when the tank is empty. No excuse for it though he should have paced himself better and fought a relaxed fight instead his inexperience shone through and he blew it all going for the big knock out. Funny enough thinking about it again he clearly isnt totally chinny because he took a load of big shots during that fight and was completely unfazed just knackered.
I doubt he will ever make the big time now, he has just not got the boxing brain that would allow him to utilize his size and power with the economy of effort required to last a 12 round fight. He will be dangerous for anyone in the world for 4 rounds though and on his day could KO anyone if he lands early.

Last edited by hogey on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:33 pm

Just because you get some boxers who would want to stay in the ring if their jaw was hanging off and their arms no longer working, it does not mean if you fall short of that your a quitter..

If you are gassed and no longer have the energy to punch back and defend your self, then at some stage you are not going to want to be in the ring.. and in reality if you want to be in the ring in those circumstances then its actually a little bit foolish.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:37 pm

hogey wrote: No excuse for it though he should have paced himself better and fought a relaxed fight instead his inexperience shone through and he blew it all going for the big knock out. Funny enough thinking about it again he clearly isnt totally chinny because he took a load of big shots during that fight and was completely unfazed just knackered.
Agreed. I also think Thompson deserves credit as he could see Price burning out and was working his body being smart knowing Price was crash landing..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:47 pm

tunes666 wrote:
hogey wrote: No excuse for it though he should have paced himself better and fought a relaxed fight instead his inexperience shone through and he blew it all going for the big knock out. Funny enough thinking about it again he clearly isnt totally chinny because he took a load of big shots during that fight and was completely unfazed just knackered.
Agreed.  I also think Thompson deserves credit as he could see Price burning out and was working his body being smart knowing Price was crash landing..  
You are right mate, fair play to Thompson is still a top fighter and knew just how to deal with a big inexperienced lad like Price. He knew the second fight would be tougher as well that why he can in in much better condition second time round. In truth its easy to forget that Price possibly lost twice to the man who might hold the belts if the Klitschkos were not around.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:51 pm

tunes666 wrote:
catchweight wrote:
tunes666 wrote:

Im not sure what you were looking at, but from where I was price was not even following the count as he could not get his breath.. I think the question is, was he gassed or what you seem to be implying, was he pretending to be gassed, I think he was gassed and had punched him self out against a smart boxer who worked his body well and landed about 10 clean punched to the head (which would have stopped most)

I guess as Prices body quit, you could say he quit, but I do not think it was his desire too quit...  

Im not saying he wasnt gassed. Im saying he quit because he was tired. I think Price found the going tough, was tired and decided he had enough. He probably saved himself from additional punishment but in a tough sport like boxing its not a good sign of a boxers mental toughness, heart or stomach for a fight when they give up like that. And that wasnt even half way into the fight. You brought up the Klitschko fight against Brewster where he lost but he didnt stop trying in that fight. He got a standing 8 count like Price but kept going after it and kept tying to get through it. That kind of determination is important in boxing because as Price discovered, its not going to be all plain sailing and first round KOs. It gets tough in there.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 12:06 am

tunes666 wrote:Just because you get some boxers who would want to stay in the ring if their jaw was hanging off and their arms no longer working, it does not mean if you fall short of that your a quitter..

If you are gassed and no longer have the energy to punch back and defend your self, then at some stage you are not going to want to be in the ring..  and in reality if you want to be in the ring in those circumstances then its actually a little bit foolish.
Come on now. It was hardly the Thrilla in Manilla in there. Ive seen journeymen stand up to more punishment and try to continue with more determination.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 28 Sep 2013, 12:07 am

Price wanted to fight his body did not, the wiley Thompson weathered the Price storm then took him apart piece by piece. The ref stopped it because he could see Price was completely spent nothing he could have done at that point was gonna change the result and he could just about lift his arms up to defend himself.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 28 Sep 2013, 12:13 am

catchweight wrote:
tunes666 wrote:Just because you get some boxers who would want to stay in the ring if their jaw was hanging off and their arms no longer working, it does not mean if you fall short of that your a quitter..

If you are gassed and no longer have the energy to punch back and defend your self, then at some stage you are not going to want to be in the ring..  and in reality if you want to be in the ring in those circumstances then its actually a little bit foolish.
Come on now. It was hardly the Thrilla in Manilla in there. Ive seen journeymen stand up to more punishment and try to continue with more determination.
It wasn't about the punishment he took, it was about the fact he blew his entire energy tank in one go trying to finish Thompson in the 2nd round and the second wind is a longtime coming when you are a 6ft.9inch 18 stone lump. Its experience like that, that keeps a fighter like Thompson at the top and will keep Price as an also ran unless he can change things radically.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 12:22 am

If he wanted to fight on I think he could have. He was tired for sure but he had mentally given up. He realised Thompson wasnt going to fold and that he was in for a hard slog and he want up to it. Continuing wouldnt have changed the result but in a sport like boxing its evidence of the kind of grit and determination needed to succeed. Most fighters with aspirations of getting to world level would have continued in the spot.The pro ranks test a fighter that way. Its not like the amateurs with the headgear and the 3 rounds so the finish is always in sight and fatigue doesnt come into it. The best thing you could say for Price is that its a serious wake up a call as t the nature of the pro game, the worst thing you could say is he just doesnt have what it takes in the mental/guts department.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 12:25 am

hogey wrote:
catchweight wrote:

It wasn't about the punishment he took, it was about the fact he blew his entire energy tank in one go trying to finish Thompson in the 2nd round and the second wind is a longtime coming when you are a 6ft.9inch 18 stone lump. Its experience like that, that keeps a fighter like Thompson at the top and will keep Price as an also ran unless he can change things radically.

I would say its heart, determination, grit or whatever you want to call it that keeps a boxer going in that spot. Experience help you avoid getting into that spot

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Sat 28 Sep 2013, 12:27 am

He was just too knackered. Mental toughness is important but that's no the reason he lost that fight. He could probably have made it another round then collapsed through exhaustion.
Serious stamina issues which can probably be rectified through the right training and pacing a fight.
I have a feeling Price may surprise a lot of people.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 28 Sep 2013, 12:29 am

I dont doubt his guts, just his boxing brain he went all in and came up short to a man who was just too good for him. Thompson is no Kingpin or Cunningham he is a real top heavyweight who knows his trade. You must remember though once a huge heavy like Price has nothing left its not like a normal size man, once he is gone then he is completely gone and all the heart in the world aint gonna save you.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next