The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"It Will Be Tough To Be Number One" Says Nadal

+8
naxroy
Danny_1982
Haddie-nuff
kingraf
CAS
lags72
HM Murdock
hawkeye
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"It Will Be Tough To Be Number One" Says Nadal Empty "It Will Be Tough To Be Number One" Says Nadal

Post by hawkeye Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 15:34

It appears that Nadal is shaking in his shoes now that he knows Djokovic has laid down the gauntlet and intends to fight to the death for the number one position (not literally of course... I hope...) He thinks it will be tough to take the number one from Djokovic in these circumstances.

"I know that my opponent is unbelievable. He's able to not lose many matches during the whole season and it will be very tough to become number one," Nadal said to reporters in Beijing.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Resurgent-Nadal-says-will-be-tough-to-become-No-1/articleshow/23265851.cms

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

"It Will Be Tough To Be Number One" Says Nadal Empty Re: "It Will Be Tough To Be Number One" Says Nadal

Post by HM Murdock Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 15:41

He's trying to make something that is now pretty straight forward sound like a difficult task. Then, when he achieves it, he can claim it is brilliant.

Egotist.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

"It Will Be Tough To Be Number One" Says Nadal Empty Re: "It Will Be Tough To Be Number One" Says Nadal

Post by lags72 Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 15:42

It will be tough but I try my best ..... no ...? Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 15:44

^ Ha ha HM! As opposed to making something difficult sound easy. Pfft Egotist!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 15:57

hawkeye wrote:^ Ha ha HM! As opposed to making something difficult sound easy. Pfft Egotist!
He's mocking Novak. I saw the video of the interview and he is rubbing his chin in a "chinny reckon" manner as he says it.

It's not quoted in the article but he also said that Novak has a child's haircut and that Serbia is not really a proper country.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 15:59

HM Murdoch wrote:
hawkeye wrote:^ Ha ha HM! As opposed to making something difficult sound easy. Pfft Egotist!
He's mocking Novak. I saw the video of the interview and he is rubbing his chin in a "chinny reckon" manner as he says it.

It's not quoted in the article but he also said that Novak has a child's haircut and that Serbia is not really a proper country.
haha that made me giggle OK 

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:00

It would probably be harder for him to stay #2 honestly. Obviously trying to scare Nole
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:01

I am with HM. I think Nadal is an egoist and is dismissing Novak's chances this week. I don't think he likes Novak and that this is personal.

I could tell all that from looking at his shoelaces.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:09

I guess in fairness to Rafa, the cautious approach stems from his clear memories of just how tough it can be to get from Number 2 to Number 1.

Making the transition for his first spell at the summit of the mountain proved to be a fairly lengthy process.......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:12

And you think Novak likes Rafa do you laughing And you dont think Novak is an Egoist..Rolling Eyes . hey let me have a loan of the rose coloured specks lk.
Rafa is merely responding to the "Warning" he got.
I am totally convinced that Rafa prefers to be the hunter.. but you throw the gauntlet down and what is the obvious reaction. Maybe its the matador in his blood.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:15

I wouldn't say there was a warning. Novak will do all in his power to hold on to the number 1 ranking by winning matches and Rafa will more or less do the same.

It would be nice if some spice was there as the build up has a meh effect about it Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:16

^ Ha ha Haddie. I will get you with the soft fluffy cushion...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:17

legendkillarV2 wrote:I wouldn't say there was a warning. Novak will do all in his power to hold on to the number 1 ranking by winning matches and Rafa will more or less do the same.

It
http://www.sport24.co.za/Tennis/ATPTour/Djokovic-sends-Nadal-warning-20130928would be nice if some spice was there as the build up has a meh effect about it Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:19

I still wouldn't have called it a warning. More a statement of intent Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:19

hawkeye wrote:^ Ha ha Haddie. I will get you with the soft fluffy cushion...
Not if I get you with the feather duster first laughing

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:22

^ boxing  Hug

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:22

Am I allowed to say that if Rafa wins that it was in a weak era because he didn't face Andy? Run

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:25

^ you can try if you want?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:29

legendkillarV2 wrote:Am I allowed to say that if Rafa wins that it was in a weak era because he didn't face Andy? Run
Only if you say it was a weak era when Andy won Wimbers because he didnt face Rafa Ooops Im off Run Run Run Run :  well thats what HE says at any rate Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:33

I'm Spartacus.

No, no ..... I'm Spartacus.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 16:34

I bet you dont look anything like Kirk Douglas

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 17:29

Rafa has done it his whole career, claiming players outside the top 100 would beat him if he didn't play his best. He talks about it in his book, said it was his Uncles fault he put some much pressure on him. He said even now toni will say to him "why are you nervous you are number 1/number2 you will beat this guy" but he forgets that it was him who made me this way, to never underestimate anyone because as soon as you do you will lose the hunger.

I guess the Lukas Rosol performance showed he was right?

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:10

Its funny how people say Nadal is insincere when he claims he has to be at his best to beat (insert unknown name here) and yet, since the beginning of the 2012 clay season, he has lost to:
Verdasco
Rasol
Zeballos
Djokovic
Darcis

With the exception of Nole, it doesnt read like a whos who, does it? Its an interesting equation. On one hand going into every game having a very real fear of losing must create a heightened sense of urgency in every match, but surely going into every match thinking that defeat is certain unless you play at 100% is mentally exhausting?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:19

Haddie-nuff wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Am I allowed to say that if Rafa wins that it was in a weak era because he didn't face Andy? Run
Only if you say it was a weak era when Andy won Wimbers because he didnt face Rafa  Ooops Im off Run Run Run Run :  well thats what HE says at any rate Whistle
It's funny isn't it. The only 'top' player Rafa had to beat to win the open was Djokovic. Same as Murray for both his slams. Yet I didn't here any calls for the open to have an *

Funny that.

If Rafa really did say that Serbia isn't a proper country then he's out of order. I heard earlier this summer that he said the Brits all had horrible teeth, and Swiss people stink of onions. I don't know what's got into him lately.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:27

Actually he was quite glowing of England, said he loves the English Summer, its his favorite day of the year...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:31

Kingraf - he said he loves English summers because it rains and washes the dirt off the filthy Brits. Are you defending that comment?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:32

Disclaimer - I like Rafa and I'm only playing, of course.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:35

Danny_1982 wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
Only if you say it was a weak era when Andy won Wimbers because he didnt face Rafa  Ooops Im off Run Run Run Run :  well thats what HE says at any rate Whistle
It's funny isn't it. The only 'top' player Rafa had to beat to win the open was Djokovic. Same as Murray for both his slams. Yet I didn't here any calls for the open to have an *

Funny that.

If Rafa really did say that Serbia isn't a proper country then he's out of order. I heard earlier this summer that he said the Brits all had horrible teeth, and Swiss people stink of onions. I don't know what's got into him lately.
IF and its a big IF he is guilty of any or all of what you quote then I would like to see proof of it. you say you "heard" from where.. Im sorry but it is not the way Rafa was brought up and I find it difficult to believe... In the years I have lived in Spain I have never found them to be disrespectful people. I say that not as a fan of Rafa but as a strong supporter of the Spanish people as a whole

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:38

Haddie - read my last post. Hug 

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:46

Hug I posted at the same time. I have to admit my flabber was well and truly ghasted... I think Uncle T would have knocked him into next week if he had even dared to say anything remotely like it. Considering he has spent all his tennis life being told he would never be as good as Federer by Uncle T one can only assume he thinks he has to look up to Novak too whilst he is about it

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:47

Danny, you're right he's out of control.

Was it this Winbledon or the last one where he got David Ferrer to bend down behind a ball girl and pushed her over?

And didn't Berdych complain that Rafa kept whipping him with a rolled up towel in the locker room?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:49

HM Murdoch wrote:Danny, you're right he's out of control.

Was it this Winbledon or the last one where he got David Ferrer to bend down behind a ball girl and pushed her over?

And didn't Berdych complain that Rafa kept whipping him with a rolled up towel in the locker room?

Dont be fooled by Berdych HM  he loved every minute of it Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:49

Danny - The two sounded similar in Spanglish!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:50

Berdych probably only complained because Rafa got bored of whipping him
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:55

Haddie-nuff wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
Dont be fooled by Berdych HM  he loved every minute of it Whistle
Now that you mention it, I think I may have heard him say that in response to the question "what's the best thing about being a tennis player?"...

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 18:59

Yes, both those stories are true.

Also, he told Stepanek that he looked like a drunk fish.

He also said to Sharapova that Jimmy Conners had been telling all the guys on the tour, and I quote, "I hit that on the first day of working together", which I find really disrespectful. Sharra was furious - because it was the second day apparently - and sacked him.

Someone needs to sensor Rafa. He's bringing the game into disrepute.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 19:13

Danny_1982 wrote:

Yes, both those stories are true.

Also, he told Stepanek that he looked like a drunk fish.

He also said to Sharapova that Jimmy Conners had been telling all the guys on the tour, and I quote, "I hit that on the first day of working together", which I find really disrespectful. Sharra was furious - because it was the second day apparently - and sacked him.

Someone needs to sensor Rafa. He's bringing the game into disrepute.

Makes you wonder how he finds the time to play tennis ..he is obviously gathering material for his next book

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 19:31

Danny, his misogyny is well known.

I saw some footage recently from Basel where a statue of Federer was being unveiled at the top of the steps where he used to train. Federer was there with Mirka and Rafa shouted this from the crowd:

"Hey, Woman. Hey, Woman! Listen here. Since your old man ain't got no heart, maybe you like to see a real man. I bet you stay up late every night dreamin' you had a real man, don't ya? I'll tell you what. Bring your pretty little self over to my apartment tonight, and I'll show you a real man."

I think it was Rafa anyway... unless I've confused him with someone else at another event.

Either way, we shouldn't be surprised. The Majorcans don't like women much. In fact, in the Majorcan language, the word for 'woman' loosely translates as 'domestic appliance'.

All true.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 19:39

Murdoch, was that Rafa 3 or Rafa 4? Laugh

That was the same trip where Roger was heard saying to Mirka about his upcoming Rafa match: "I'm afraid alright! You wanna break me down, you wanna hear me say it? For the first time in my life I'm afraid!"

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 19:41

Haha HM. Federer Nadal are nothing without Rocky comparisons!! On that note, old but gold

www.youtube.com/view_comment?v=pz0qwiy92cs&hl=en&gl=ZA&guid=&client=mv-google
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 20:53

HM Murdoch wrote:He's trying to make something that is now pretty straight forward sound like a difficult task. Then, when he achieves it, he can claim it is brilliant.

Egotist.
the thing is it was an almost impossible task. but he has already climbed that hill. its only a matter of time now but its nice to remember that it was a hard battle all through the season... and it even looked like a lost battle after wimbledon

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 21:36

HM Murdoch wrote:Danny, his misogyny is well known.

I saw some footage recently from Basel where a statue of Federer was being unveiled at the top of the steps where he used to train. Federer was there with Mirka and Rafa shouted this from the crowd:

"Hey, Woman. Hey, Woman! Listen here. Since your old man ain't got no heart, maybe you like to see a real man. I bet you stay up late every night dreamin' you had a real man, don't ya? I'll tell you what. Bring your pretty little self over to my apartment tonight, and I'll show you a real man."

I think it was Rafa anyway... unless I've confused him with someone else at another event.

Either way, we shouldn't be surprised. The Majorcans don't like women much. In fact, in the Majorcan language, the word for 'woman' loosely translates as 'domestic appliance'.

All true.
The Spanish for "wives" is the same word as "hancuffs". Now that really is true.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 21:38

I'd say this is a rubbish comment from Nadal since he's obviously going to be number 1. He goes in a lot for false modesty and playing down his chances, but he does sometimes overdo it, and that's clearly what's happened here. Although of course as we often say unless you see the full transcript or ideally a video you can't be clear if someone asked him a question he didn't really want to have to address.

Also, a non story. Slow news day.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 21:40

HM Murdoch wrote:Danny, his misogyny is well known.

All true.
haha quality. boxing 

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 30 Sep 2013 - 21:42

In my mother tongue- Husband loosely translates as "puppy"
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 1 Oct 2013 - 8:01

kingraf wrote:In my mother tongue- Husband loosely translates as "puppy"

Now THAT I can understand given how hard they are to house train.Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 1 Oct 2013 - 8:28

I don't think this thread has evolved quite the way HE expected it to. Laugh

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 1 Oct 2013 - 8:37

Well there is only so much you can say on this subject isn´t there.. ??
Simply we all know that its tough at the top whoever has the job will never find it easy .. hard playing tennis whilst you are looking over your shoulder.warning

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 1 Oct 2013 - 8:54

See tennis is too nice of a sport.

Gulbis's words do echo some truth sometimes.

Toni or Srdjan need to stoke the fires. Come on guys!

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 1 Oct 2013 - 9:56

Given the way our Sports press loves to warp reality by taking quotes out of context, I can't blame Rafa for his approach, or Murray who openly admits to doing this, or Novak who has toned down his interviews a lot. It may be a bit more dull but it shows how intelligent they are and how little they trust the press
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next