The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cricket Films

+6
kwinigolfer
guildfordbat
Shelsey93
Corporalhumblebucket
JDizzle
Stella
10 posters

Go down

Cricket Films Empty Cricket Films

Post by Stella Wed 02 Oct 2013, 4:10 pm

Nice piece by Ed Smith on cricinfo.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/676047.html

So, what in your opnion would make a good Cricket film?

Bodyline? Been done as a series (was good).

81 ashes?

The packer years

Strauss vs Pietersen? Smile 

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Cricket Films Empty Re: Cricket Films

Post by JDizzle Wed 02 Oct 2013, 4:43 pm

Fire in Babylon was a very good watch on the great West Indian sides and how they came about, but was more of a documentary than an actual film.

There was a good two part thing on BBC 4 not too long ago about the whole Packer thing called Kerry Packer's War I think. Also a good watch.

Maybe the whole Olonga/Flower/WC 2003 would make a good movie?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 02 Oct 2013, 4:46 pm

Yes Fire In Babylon was very good. Loved it.

A film about Keith Miller might be worth a watch? He led an interesting life by all accounts.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 02 Oct 2013, 6:58 pm

I would suggest one on Bob Appleyard - fair to say it might not be a bundle of laughs but it's still quite a story.

A few quotes from cricinfo article on him:

Tragedy:

"When he was seven his mother left home; when he was 13 he lost his younger sister Margaret to diphtheria and when he was 15 his father, stepmother and two little sisters were found gassed in the bathroom of their home."

"The death from leukaemia of his young son, Ian, and later the death of a grandson, John, from the same disease, have kept grief a regular visitor to Appleyard's door"

Contending with ill health

"In the middle of that season he fell ill for a short while and was treated for pleurisy but the following spring, after only one match, he was diagnosed with tuberculosis. He was not expected to live, let alone play cricket, but he bounced [back?] with 154 wickets in 1954 and an England call-up."

Fighting corruption/fraud

"Appleyard became a successful business rep and he was working for the British Printing Corporation in 1981 when it was taken over by Robert Maxwell. Appleyard quickly saw Maxwell for the crook that he was and when Maxwell dismissed him on the strength of trumped up allegations, Appleyard battled for a fair settlement and won, shrewdly taking his money out of the BPC pension fund at the same time!"

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 02 Oct 2013, 7:14 pm

There have been some good cricket films lately - 'Out of the Ashes' (on Afghanistan's rise from nowhere to almost qualify for the 2009 World Cup) and 'Fire in Babylon' (I'll admit I haven't seen it in full but have read quite a few reviews). Both are in documentary format, however.

Compared to other sports cricket probably suffers from the fact that it is hard to display to the uneducated audience. I recently saw 'Rush', the excellent new film about James Hunt and Niki Lauda's incredible F1 title battle in 1976. I am an F1 fan but I needn't have been to understand what was being shown. Harder with cricket, though not impossible.

The life of Basil d'Oliveira could easily be dramatised. In fact, according to this article there already is one in the making - http://www.channel24.co.za/Movies/News/Basil-DOliveira-movie-to-be-shot-in-CT-20111129.

The '81 Ashes might be difficult, but possibly as the focal point of a film about Botham's life?

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 02 Oct 2013, 8:43 pm

There's a film from the early '80s with a cricket theme running through it which I would recommend - P'tang, Yang, Kipperbang. It's set a little after the Second World War and highlights the growing pains of a cricket obsessed schoolboy - the bizarre title is like a codeword the 'hero' and his friends use. His thoughts are voiced intermittently by John Arlott with his difficulties likened to playing in a Test against Australia. Arlott is never seen but his burr was never more distinctive or wonderful.

Written by Jack Rosenthall (late husband of Maureen Lipman), the film featured Alison Steadman in an early role as a school teacher. It was a Channel 4 production and, I think, shown there on its opening night. Worth catching if you get the chance.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 02 Oct 2013, 11:25 pm

Not for nothing, but Jack Rosenthal was a brilliant writer - so it must be good!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 4:21 am

"Cricket is not about just bowling and batting. You don't bowl a man out you think him out"

These are my favorite lines from the Bodyline series. Superb.
Fire in Babylon is again a superb piece.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Oct 2013, 10:41 am

Wondrous Oblivion

Anyone seen it? Looks like the sort of film I may like.

It's set in 1960's England, and has a young cricket enthusiast, who lives next door to Jamaican family.

Expect racial tensions, and more than likely a happy ending.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 03 Oct 2013, 11:10 am

Kbhi ajnabi the...starring sandeep patill , kirmani and clive Lloyd
hero Hiralal and Chamtkaar comedies with a cricket backdrop starring Naseerudding shah
Awal Number starring mega star amir khan
Patiala House starring akshay kumar loosely based on the life of Bopara with Hussain having a guest appearnce.

are all hindi movies from Bollywood  with cricket as the main theme around whihc the typical Bollywood drama / comedy, songs n Dance are built.

I have seen the Bodyline long time back.....and  recently the Kerry packer movies / series....and these were impressive adaptations on screen.

I believe it is easier to make a TV series for appeal to niche audiences than an outright full movie
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 03 Oct 2013, 3:22 pm

Some other good uns mentioned above.

Fire in Babylon is definitely ''a superb piece''.

Had almost completely forgotten Wondrous Oblivion. Thanks for the reminder, Stella. Enjoyable although perhaps a bit predictable as you suspected.

I also saw Packer's War a few months back. I feared it would be rather dreadful but was pleased to find it surprisingly good.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Thu 03 Oct 2013, 4:49 pm

Guys If you can mention the links from where I can download it, It would be thankful to all.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 03 Oct 2013, 8:38 pm

Anyone ever seen The Final Test, a film set around the retirement of a (fictitious) England cricketer but featuring cameos from the likes of Len Hutton and Cyril Washbrook? Saw it years ago, and remember it wasn't that good, but interesting for cricket fans.
Seem to remember that the film Raffles starring David Niven, featured a bit of cricket as well.
As a side note, I believe that Niven was, at one time or another, a member of the Hollywood cricket team. Captained by ex-test player turned actor C. Aubrey-Smith their opening bowler was The Monster, William Henry Pratt. Otherwise known as Boris Karloff.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 03 Oct 2013, 11:49 pm

Hi Hoggy - yes, saw The Final Test many years ago. Not very impressed then. Found the story corny and the lead actor, Jack Warner, unconvincing as he was nearing 60 when playing the part of a Test cricketer. Would though like to see it again to catch the sort of cameos you mention.

Only fair to add that playing parts which should have been far too young for him was not the problem for Warner that might have been expected. His main claim to fame was playing the title role of a policeman in the tv series Dixon of Dock Green. He first appeared in this programme when he was already past the retirement age for a copper and continued to do so for the next twenty odd years!

On an even sadder trivia note, Brighton Rock is an excellent gangster film from the late 1940s starring a young Richard Attenborough. Cricket doesn't feature in the film but I have read that a few of the extras in some scenes were Sussex County cricketers earning a few bob during the winter filming.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 04 Oct 2013, 4:23 pm

Remember The Final Test...Warner did look a bit old for the part I suppose. Had a few shots of cricket in it ; was it Lindwall bowling ? Memory fades... Robert Morley enjoyed himself as the highbrow playwright with a secret obsession for cricket...

Surprised no one has mentioned Lagaan...highly entertaining Indian film centered on a cricket match between Indian villagers and their colonial masters.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 05 Oct 2013, 3:59 pm

alfie wrote:Remember The Final Test...Warner did look a bit old for the part I suppose. Had a few shots of cricket in it ; was it Lindwall bowling ? Memory fades... Robert Morley enjoyed himself as the highbrow playwright with a secret obsession for cricket...

Surprised no one has mentioned Lagaan...highly entertaining Indian film centered on a cricket match between Indian villagers and their colonial masters.
yes offcourse Lagaan should be on that Bollywood cricket list...actually the only mega blockbuster on the otehrwise list of flops appearing with cricket theme.

Chamatkar was once exception as a minor hit
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down