The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When a match lives up to its hype

4 posters

Go down

When a match lives up to its hype Empty When a match lives up to its hype

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:24 am

First and foremost Nigel Owens should be pointed out for his contribution to yesterday's match. Not in the customary accusatory way but to congratulate him for how he officiated the match. Too often the ref is singled out for how he spoiled or ruined the game. When he gets it right it's important to acknowledge a good job. Yesterday we saw how technology can be used effectively but in order for that to occur open communication is vital. I often heard this is what I saw but can you confirm that. He's prepared to be corrected and he ensures the TMO is able to assist him if need be. He started getting cramp late in the game and I think I saw a defibrillator standing by but well done Nigel and hopefully that performance is used as an example to the other elite refs.

I know the likes of Alan are not fans of bonus points but I feel its detractors should probably know if yesterday's 5 point win wasn't the context before the kick off we most likely wouldn't have seen the match that was played. I was trying to explain it to friends last night who know nothing about rugby saying it was like they needed to score 4 goals and win by a 2 goal margin. If SA had only needed a 4 point win then I believe we would've still seen a varied SA game but not so helter skelter like just before half time where a mini break ended up leading to a crucial psychological blow.

But let us congratulate SA on facing up to the task and not shirking from their fate. They came to play. Meyer said they would attack and I sensed NZ thought it was a bluff. NZ were caught short out wide. SA found space. Although NZ scored the first try and started stronger they quickly got into the game. Meyer must be encouraged by how his players took the game to NZ by running. They showed they can do it against Argentina and Australia and they proved they could do it against NZ. That's a psychological hurdle they needed to overcome. Their rolling maul and set piece was largely blunted by NZ. Where they found a way to score was out wide. Strong running from Vermeulen into space and running at props, Louw showing Read he can offload too in tackles and Habana showing he is one of the finest wingers SA has ever had. What a shame he had to go off as NZ had no answer for him. But to me the key was the back row linking up and running with ball in hand at pace.

Pace was what this game had. Perfect running conditions. Why can't more test rugby be played during the day. Night rugby in winter invariably brings conditions not conducive for running. I don't know where the players were summoning the energy from but it was exhausting just watching. Much was made of SA's physicality in Eden Park. To me what contributed to that was the slower pace of the game. The NZ players seemed beat up but I actually think they handled the physicality. What I saw yesterday was SA having a little trouble in keeping up with the pace. Not in attack but in defence. Their fringe defence and defensive line couldn't hold. NZ's defence was equally ineffective at times but the tries came from playing the game at pace. That is why SA should not be discouraged by yesterday. How many times will NZ play under those conditions? If SA can bring a more varied game and hold their defensive shape they will trouble NZ even more.

Yesterday was like two heavyweights standing toe to toe and saying I will deliver the knock out punch and I am not afraid of you. That fell into NZ's advantage and why I thought we could still win. We had the game played how we wanted it. Dagg has been quiet on attack this year but that's because Ben Smith has been on fire. He has done little wrong and Savea equally has made key contributions like the Read try. McCaw for through the game but Messam and Read stood up and made it easier on him. I must congratulate Hansen on his selections and getting this side up for this challenge as living with that SA performance needed something equally special. A truly incredible rugby spectacle where we have a game and there are no issues with the result. The two best sides in rugby giving an incredible account of themselves and offering up one of the most stunning rugby spectacles. A match that truly lived up to the hype and one we needed.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

When a match lives up to its hype Empty Re: When a match lives up to its hype

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:38 am

Unfortunately we know why so much rugby is played in the evening and it's nothing tondo with the quality of rugby it's everything to do with the dollar signs. 

Hopefully the penny will drop that rugby sells itself best when the rugby is best and the powers that be will take this on board.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:59 am

We all like the matches where our team dominates but this was a game where both sides went at it to and fro and the conditions allowed for it. The championship draw makes for an intriguing SA NZ showdown and I think NZ benefits from having this final challenge because they know they must bring their best performance in the last game. I find it staggering that we are still unbeaten in RC games.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:00 am

We've been waiting for a match like this for some time, from a neutral spectator point of view it was fantastic, 80 minutes of high intensity rugby played with few mistakes at a high pace, end to end stuff. There was little foul play and no dodgy refereeing decisions that affected the outcome.

The more clinical team won in the end, but it was an amazing effort by both teams and the officials to let the game flow. And it spoke volumes of the players fitness levels to main that pace throughout the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:01 am

Kia,I may not agree with bonus point system,nor the card system,or even tactical substitutes.BUT they are a fact of life,in amateur days the ABs would have had 15
men all game.Habana would have stayed on,Alberts would have gone off it is NOT those
days.In many ways mores the pity,BUT the system lead to an incredible game of
Rugby.It was plain the only way the Boks could win the 4Ns was to run,but problem
with that is the AB`s.Do it as well as any team on the planet too,injuries may have
been the key.Two Yellows should have been sufficient advantage to force the win
the one try that was sloppy.Was Le Roux scoring while Messam was marching off
they really should have expected that.Nigel Owens gave an exemplary performance
of sensible measured responses consulting TMO`s but making his own decisions.
Can`t wait for the November Tests to see the state of play world wide Australia
may not be such easy beats after yesterday.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:06 am

We all like the matches where our team dominates but this was a game where both sides went at it to and fro and the conditions allowed for it. The championship draw makes for an intriguing SA NZ showdown and I think NZ benefits from having this final challenge because they know they must bring their best performance in the last game. I find it staggering that we are still unbeaten in RC games.

Wasn't having a go Alan but just pointing out how bonus points can add something. If SA had won and NZ won the championship it would've been deflating but when you have a home and away game you have to maximize your advantage.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:11 am

Kia, I think it's better the game is played early evening.

Firstly the sun can have a big impact at Ellis park... Difficult for catching high balls.

The temperature is also cooler for the players, ok it's not mid summer but the cooler the better.

It wasn't a night match, 5pm kickoff isn't a night match. If it's better for players, the game and the fans I think its a good thing.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down