The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using up your nine lives

4 posters

Go down

Using up your nine lives Empty Using up your nine lives

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 03 Nov 2013, 3:05 pm

When you make the step up from provincial rugby to test level, you can be found out. There are some players who have the skills and game to get the call up and then find it a frustrating experience to not deliver on the test stage what you're able to do at provincial level. Or sometimes you deliver on the test stage and find it difficult to replicate that intensity and edge on the provincial stage.

Saili is an example of a player who's been given a chance to prove himself on the test stage after a noteworthy set of provincial performances. It'll be frustrating for him that he's yet to convert that to a noteworthy test performance. He hasn't by any means been dire but he hasn't been by any means flash like someone like Piutau who has taken his opportunities and shined.

When I think of Cane's performance this season, I'm reminded of Kaino. There were question marks over both those players at their respective early stages of their AB careers. Cane had the added pressure of not being favoured either at the Chiefs. The Springboks test performance in Auckland was his coming of age performance. He showed with his Robocop bandages that he could foot it in the physicality stakes. Suddenly the pacy, ball snatcher and link man showed he had heart and could mix it up with the big men. Kaino similarly grew into his role and learned to add physicality to his game and then taking the ball up.

Contrast the likes of Vito and Weepu who had their nine lives so to speak and used them up with those of Nonu and Dagg, who after indifferent Super form at best, proved that they still belong in the black jersey. The former two were given enough chances and they failed to make the cut. They were told to go away and work on specific points. Nonu and Dagg were given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to play themselves back into form in the infectiously positive NZ environment. TKB might be fortunate that TJ Perenara has been injured and that Weepu hadn't worked on his fitness enough because I think that he is definitely in that camp now of having enough tests to prove himself and not cutting the mustard.

It's early days for Saili and Ben Smith at centre so they should be given more time in their respective positions to prove their worth. There's no point in axing a player right from the outset as if he does return to the fray, his confidence will be inevitably knocked. Contrast that with some front row players like Crockett who have been given enough chances and question marks are still very much over them.

It's a difficult balance to make knowing when a player has truly run his test course and when that player just needs some more time. Think of all the players who might not have gone onto test careers who didn't convince right from the word go. I think Hansen has got that balance exactly right so it's going to be intriguing how he handles even more players coming through. Out of the current stock, I think it's very much early days for Halai, Saili and Ben Smith at centre. Charlie Faumauina has ironed out those question marks over him but players like TKB and Thrush are more questionable. Do you think this European tour should call the end on some players or should more lives be given still?

For other nations' posters, who do you think has been given enough chances and who still deserves a further chance to prove themselves?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Using up your nine lives Empty Re: Using up your nine lives

Post by fa0019 Sun 03 Nov 2013, 3:21 pm

England gave Charlie Hodgson 40 chances and he even got to tour with the lion off his club rugby performances. He was gash when he started and that never altered bar 1 match vs South Africa in 2004. The most talented English fly half of his generation... And that in includes wilkinson but he couldn't take pressure and would crumble.

If it's a case of a player taking time to build test match experience then that's fine... If it's him having no mental strength then there is no number of caps, no number of opportunities that will be enough.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 03 Nov 2013, 3:55 pm

Different circumstances but I'm reminded of Colin Slade. His debut coming off the bench in Sydney was a resounding success. Looked composed and steadied the ship. They were in the days when life without Carter seemed too bleak to contemplate. Then in his later tests he looked nervous. Didn't help being shifted to wing and fullback or his luck with injuries. But something happened to him psychologically and he never looked the same. Contrast that with someone like Barrett and Piutau and the smiles one out, they look to do something useful with their chances when they get the ball and they have a crack. Then you have players like TKB who look to have a crack and take the wrong options too many times which happened to Aaron Smith early in his career. Genia at times yesterday looked like a rookie. McKenzie needed to make the bold decision and take him off. Will he now bench him because I think he's been using up too many lives.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 04 Nov 2013, 12:21 am

Saili was disappointing but to be fair to him its a little early in his career anyway. He's only there because of too many quality players not being available in the centres.

I would love to see SBW and Kahui in the ABs together for an extended period - sadly will never happen.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:05 am

I think a player should only be in the mix if they're worthy of it but I'm sure more leeway is given to younger players that have more potential to learn over multiple years in the environment (and make the next RWC).

Guess there's an opportunity cost with keeping certain players on whilst not trying others that may deserve a shot. But we say you have to 'earn' the right to wear the jersey and over recent years there was talk of cheapening it by bringing in too many new faces. No doubt it's a balance and non-performers do get the boot. I can think of a couple over the last couple of years (won't name them) that have proven they didn't have it. By and large, players that are worthy make it into the ABs.

Our selectors generally look forward and don't tend to bring in those that have had a go and played themselves out of the team even though they may currently be 'in form'. I'm happy with that. That way we move forwards with no baggage.

Agree on TKB, maybe he's still coming to grips with the pressure of being amongst his heroes.

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:31 am

In many cases it is a matter of luck,Karl Ifwersen the greatest player of his age,Johnny Smith
another legend 4..In the days of trial games how many caps were lost because a player was on the losing side. Kel Tremain pre1969 trial on the losing side DUMPED if he`d been picked
versus Wales.
It is a fair bet he would have toured SA in 1970 they surely could have used his experience
then.Play for the wrong Province/club/Franchise your task is much harder. Many players who
coast in Super Rugby do it Black simply because it is impossible to perform at the same level
for 30plus games.
Adam Thomson with the Highlanders did it game after game how many caps?the ROCK at the
end of his career.Was`nt scoring tries BUT he created loads for his team mates,Hosae Gear
had one season where is he now?
Problem a t Centre Robbie Fruen did it every game for the Crusaders no caps!!!! his heart
condition?if it`s that bad he shouldn't be playing Rugby.
Andy Ellis over the last 3 seasons AT LEAST has been consistently the best in NZ how many
caps.When he was really needed Weepu did a job at 10 as well as 9 and nursed Crudon when he needed it.
Kahui and Slade injuries at the wrong time have robbed them of caps,how many capped players in the past were Test Class?a hell of a lot of them never had a chance to prove it.
Rene Ranger finally cracked it then decided he preferred the cash,others like SBW its cash
first the team second.
As Zinny says you get few chances ,stuff up your history,there are players like Tom Taylor;Ryan Crotty who can do a job.Nonu wasn't all that when he started unless there
given the chance how can they prove it?
Toeva was among the most talented backs about,chucked in to early,lumbered with the
utility bag,injured,history.
What is your aim,develop players and maybe sacrifice games,or relive the past with teams
or squads going at the same time.1968,1998,2004,2008[you were lucky that year].
Be like England 1997-2004 4 years building,2or 3 glory years then nothing left and 10 yrs
in the doldrums.
Even the All Blacks suffered that tho less than most,I hope never hear the words building
for the next RWC from an AB Coaches lips.
Your ALL BLACKS every game matters not some crummy 4 year cycle one game at a time.
As a NZ Coach you have a major problem the weight of History lose to many games your
history,a RWC ditto.Only Ted had the luxury of a second shot you need a 9?Andy Ellis
job done.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down