The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HC Round 1 and the Irish teams

+22
asoreleftshoulder
LeinsterFan4life
SecretFly
Don Alfonso
geoff998rugby
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
Pete330v2
HammerofThunor
beshocked
Mickado
Metal Tiger
LondonTiger
The Saint
Artful_Dodger
Welshmushroom
Standulstermen
Notch
rodders
VinceWLB
whocares
brennomac
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

HC Round 1 and the Irish teams - Page 2 Empty HC Round 1 and the Irish teams

Post by brennomac Sun 06 Oct 2013, 5:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well here we are with the first HC games just around the corner, and judging by the Rabo season so far and especially this weekend's games, Munster and Ulster can approach next weekend with some confidence, Leinster should be nervous and Connacht realistically in damage-limitation mode.

First Leinster, we might not be in crisis but for next week's HC it's just as well Ospreys are in no great shape either after losing at home to Ulster because the display in Thomond on Saturday was downright awful. Played off the park in most positions - you expect POC and Ryan to dominate over Toner and McCarthy but to see the front and back rows being done by Munster was frightening when you look at who we're facing in the next few weeks. I'll excuse Madigan his shocker as up to now he's been excellent and everybody is entitled to the odd bad game, but O'Connor has some serious thinking about who starts at 10 next week. I'd go with Madigan but improvement needed. And without the creativity we had from BOD in the Ospreys game a couple weeks ago, the back line looked toothless. And then we have Kirchner to come in - anybody who saw the SA-NZ game just before the Munster-Leinster game can see we ain't getting a new Nacewa - he was dog poor and looked out of his depth.

Given that there's little or chance of a best runner-up coming out of our HC group, we're going to have the win the group to go through to the QF's - and even then we would be struggling to get a home QF. I think we can win the group - Castres will blow hot and cold, Northampton are not going to win anything without a quality 10 (and Myler is a long way off that) and the Ospreys don't look in the greatest shape either. Going to be a struggle though.

Munster played real well on Saturday and should have won by a lot more but they shouldn't get carried away. A return of one try against an undercooked and overpowered Leinster team wasn't a great return for all the possession and territory. Still for the HC, they have one of the easier groups - Edinburgh are dire, Gloucester have been leaking almost 30 points a game in the AP while Perpignan are in mid-table in the T14 with a 5-4 record. Munster should be aiming to win this group and a home QF and if they get that anything can happen.

A few weeks ago I might have said Ulster should be very nervous but the past week they have got into gear and even managed to get an away Rabo win against what seems a full strength Ospreys. Didn't see any of this game but by all accounts the Ulster pack more than matched the Ospreys pack with all their Lions. Leicester seem to have some sort of a mental block playing in Ravenhill and Ulster should be be aiming to go out and do a good number on the Tigers. Even with an Italian team in the group there's no guarantee that two teams will come out of this group and Treviso have shown themselves more than capable of beating good teams on their own patch. The team that beats Treviso away will be in good shape to win this group. Pienaar back will be a huge boost - and the fact that he played only a small portion of the SA-NZ game should mean he arrives in good shape rather than pummeled like any of the SA ands NZ teams who played the full game.

For Connacht, unless they get a traditional west of Ireland storm (as they did when beat Quins) it's hard to see them doing anything other than fighting Zebre for 3rd spot. Unless the weather is really foul, it's hard to see Saracens not winning next week. Love to see Connacht do a real number on that charmer Nigel Wray's rugby plaything but sadly just can't see it.

Being honest I can't see an Irish winner of the HC this year - semi-finals for Munster and Ulster would be a good return, Leinster qualifying for the QF is attainable but difficult. Connacht, I'm afraid down with the also-rans

brennomac

Back to top Go down

HC Round 1 and the Irish teams - Page 2 Empty Re: HC Round 1 and the Irish teams

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:58 am

Wont argue with that. I'd switch 6 and 3 round and maybe 2 and 4 but very marginal

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

HC Round 1 and the Irish teams - Page 2 Empty Re: HC Round 1 and the Irish teams

Post by profitius Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:27 am

beshocked wrote:I have read somewhere that Connacht vs Saracens will be a full house. Excellent if true.

Will I be forced to eat humble pie I wonder? I am sure many posters would love to see that!

I have been talking up my side - now they must deliver.

Would be great if a Connacht fan or two could tell me something about your team. What are your strengths, weaknesses etc?

I'm not a Connacht fan but I have seen them twice this season. They're playing poorly, look unfit, have a long injury list and have low confidence. No doubt they'll be up for this match but they're crippled with the injuries. They're struggling for props at the moment. Its a bit because they have some quality players now in the squad.

I've backed Saracens -12pts and think its a good bet. They should cover that if they want to.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:50 am

Profitius who are the players to look out for? What are Connacht's strengths? Where will they look to frustrate Sarries?

I know they have Dan Parks but he's the only name I recognise.

I have a feeling Connacht will be stubborn. Gloucester, Quins,Bath and Wasps have all shown a capability to frustrate us. Wasps even did it for a full 80 despite having a lot of injuries themselves.

If Connacht are unfit that's not good. That's one area that Saracens have been pretty sharp - Wearing the opposition down and piling on the pressure. Hasn't been that much fluency but the amount of time Saracens have been in point scoring territory has been high.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:00 pm

Connacht have Craig Clark in the second row, the Chiefs super rugby winning captain. Also from NZ they have recruited Jake Heenan at 7. He looks a real quality player and is good at the breakdown. Captained NZ U20s too I think.

In the backs they have Robbie Henshaw. Hes the only one who made the Ireland squad from Connacht recently. He is young and a good athlete but I'm not convinced he is international quality. Too error prone.

John Muldoon is a good backrow player and experienced.

The Connacht no 9 is Marmion. Many peoples favourite - including mine - to be second behind Murray for Ireland.

Dave McSharry is back from a long injury. He might slot in at 12. He looks a good player and possibly an Ireland squad contender. Danie Poolman is a solid South African center or wing who played super rugby. Fionn Carr is very fast and can score from anywhere but lightweight too.

Pat Lam has changed their style of play or at least is attempting to do so. They're throwing it around from everywhere and it cost them a try last week by dropping the ball 5m from their try line.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:08 pm

Throwing it around from everywhere. Reminds me of a certain English team that plays near Twickenham.Whistle If that's the case that will play straight into our hands.

Thanks for the synopsis profitius.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:16 pm

profitius wrote:Connacht have Craig Clark in the second row, the Chiefs super rugby winning captain. Also from NZ they have recruited Jake Heenan at 7. He looks a real quality player and is good at the breakdown. Captained NZ U20s too I think.

In the backs they have Robbie Henshaw. Hes the only one who made the Ireland squad from Connacht recently. He is young and a good athlete but I'm not convinced he is international quality. Too error prone.

The Connacht no 9 is Marmion. Many peoples favourite - including mine - to be second behind Murray for Ireland.

Dave McSharry is back from a long injury. He might slot in at 12. He looks a good player and possibly an Ireland squad contender. Danie Poolman is a solid South African center or wing who played super rugby. Fionn Carr is very fast and can score from anywhere but lightweight too.

Pat Lam has changed their style of play or at least is attempting to do so. They're throwing it around from everywhere and it cost them a try last week by dropping the ball 5m from their try line.
How can you on the one hand throw it around and on the other hand have Dan Parks at 10??  Connacht are caught between two styles, they are in transition period big time, as is most of Irish rugby at the minute.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

Connacht have dissapointed me a bit so far this year, they finished 8th last year, strengthened their squad, and the young players in the backs had all an extra years experience. Things looked set for an improvement, Elwood left and Lam came in and they have'nt hit the ground running, hopefully it starts to improve under Lam?

Things to look out for in Connacht, twice super XV winning Captain, Craig Clarke at lock, haven't seen to much of him this season, due to super XV and getting intergrated with the team , but is ment to be quality and a real coup for Connacht to sign a payer as good as him.

The rest of the forwards wouldn't have a stand out player, they work hard and are more than the sum of their parts.

half backs, you'll know Parks, if the weather in Galway is wet and wild, he'll slot the pens, for all that is said against him, he is good at what he goes.

Marimon is a young Irish scum half, and while still learning is highly rated and will win international caps.

The backs is where Connacht have the most talent, the team will prob be
Duffy- fullback you may remember him from his Harlequins days. Solid enough player
Henshaw - normally fullback but prob be on wing, young player won two Ireland caps in the summer, one of Connachts best backs
Griffin - young player, is a quality centre, and highly rated.
Pooleman -South African 24 played for Stormers
Carr- returned to Connacht from leinster, is a good finisher and decent player.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:38 pm

Connacht have a hideous injury list at the minute. No chance sadly

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:52 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:How can you on the one hand throw it around and on the other hand have Dan Parks at 10??  Connacht are caught between two styles, they are in transition period big time, as is most of Irish rugby at the minute.
Miah Nikora injured is a very big blow for them as i think he is a very very good ball playing 10.

But yeah, Pat Lam gameplan isn't suited at all to guys like Duffy, Parks, Swift, Muldoon...
A good coach make the best out of the players at his disposal and doesn't impose a gameplan regardless of these players.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:54 pm

profitius wrote:Connacht have Craig Clark in the second row, the Chiefs super rugby winning captain. Also from NZ they have recruited Jake Heenan at 7. He looks a real quality player and is good at the breakdown. Captained NZ U20s too I think.

Healy looks very promising on the wing and yeah Heenan is a cracking player.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2